BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Shakeepuddn

Question

I am at rest, the vinter best,

All who mocked were put to test.

The pig I cursed, as servant deemed

Which mocked my flesh while under dream.

The last of ten, fathers all

In cursed land I heard one call.

Above the mirror, within a fort

Which houses last, the first to court.

My meager flame to whom I love

Did send aloft the scent above.

And in this odor, true to know

The truth of man as he would grow.

And thus a ribbon multihued

To remind the mind what it mustn’t do.

13 answers to this question

Rewrite:

My name at rest, the vinter best,

The fourth I cursed, as servant deemed

Above the earth, within a fort

And so the arch multihued

(The word pig didn't work well as a proper side to emerald ovaries)

Rewrite:

My name at rest, the vinter best,

The fourth I cursed, as servant deemed

Above the earth, within a fort

And so the arch multihued

(The word pig didn't work well as a proper side to emerald ovaries)

Noah and his Ark. Noah means at rest, "all who mocked" -masses mocking god and the resultant flood, "above the earth, within a fort"- the Ark itself, "the arch multihued" -the rainbow at the end of the 40 days and nights as a reminder

Although what this has to do with the obvious reference to Green Eggs and Ham I have no idea.

and I do keep in mind that this is a Shakee riddle so it probably has nothing to do with this whatsoever. :)

Edited by Alethea

Noah and his Ark. Noah means at rest, "all who mocked" -masses mocking god and the resultant flood, "above the earth, within a fort"- the Ark itself, "the arch multihued" -the rainbow at the end of the 40 days and nights as a reminder

Although what this has to do with the obvious reference to Green Eggs and Ham I have no idea.

and I do keep in mind that this is a Shakee riddle so it probably has nothing to do with this whatsoever. :)

That sounds reasonable, especially given the last couple of lines... but what about the vintner?

I think you've cracked it. :)

Noah was said to have invented wine. His wife sending the scent aloft part was the release of the dove, if memory serves.

I think that little aside about the green eggs was referencing the "Curse of Ham", upon further research.

Unless this answer is wrong, then....

Edited by Grayven

Bravo Alethea (any relation to the outstanding Robin Trower song?)

I realize that my explication would be somewhat redundant, but I already have them written out to go with the riddles so here it is anyway.

Noah

Noah was the tenth and last Patriarch before the Great Flood. According to Genesis, Noah invented wine, and one night while in a drunken stupor, his youngest son Ham discovered him lying naked on the floor. A straight forward read of scripture relates that Ham informed his brothers of his father’s state, perhaps with indifference, but they took the matter a bit more seriously. With backs turned and averting their eyes they draped a cloth over their inebriated father as he slept. But when Noah awoke and found out what had transpired, he (with God’s assent) cursed Ham’s line through his fourth son for the filial disrespect of actually gazing upon a father’s bare flesh. Christian and Hebraic apologetics have made attempts to reconcile this extremely cruel and vindictive act by interpreting the word “saw” as perhaps meaning sodomized, or even as a term for castration, suggesting that Ham, for some unbelievably bizarre reason, either raped or castrated his own aged father as he slept. Well, whatever the case, God saw to it that Ham’s line would be servile on Earth until the end of days, thus giving true meaning to the phrase “tough love.” The lands of the world were cursed prior to the flood, and the Ark eventually served as Noah’s fortress on the water (above earth). The animals within had not yet mated, one would assume, and they were the last survivors after the deluge. After alighting upon Ararat, Noah made a burnt offering to God. God smelled the pleasingly odiferous tribute which rose unto heaven and resolved never again to curse humankind for their transgressions, realizing FINALLY that it is in our nature from youth to tend toward sin. He even went so far as to create rainbows as a reminder to Himself that he should keep his volatile temper in check (Genesis 9: 12-16).