Coal made into silver.

Who are we?

What am I?

'Cause I dunno.

• Answers 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It was on the digital "clean-up" of films for the hi-res era. Disney's Pinocchio being the latest Blu-ray release from the House of Mouse. The film just happens to turn 70 next year. I can see at least most of the lines fitting, but I'm not sure this is it. I'm just throwing it out there to help open up the brainstorming.

That it is the 70th anniversary of the start of WWII...

It also happens to be Marvel Comic's 70th anniversary...and I think it can work for quite a few of the lines...I still think it's wrong, but it's another idea...

To fix that not broken:

Fine, for words not spoken - Comics are printed...

Seven eight nine

In twice the primetime,

A red and white spotted jewel - Marvel's logo is Red and White

before an audience of fools - Just like the tv reference...there are fools that read comics (not all, but some)

We thought we'd go far

Least, not once 'round a star

We turned light into dark - Good/Bad fights?

on a walk in the park

Couldn't travel through the heat - Human Torch was in the first comic by Marvel?

Only bared two feet.

Just 70 later - 70th anniversary this year

Coal made into silver. -Silver surfer?

So maybe some marvel super hero(es)? Again, probably completely wrong, just getting things going...

It also happens to be Marvel Comic's 70th anniversary...and I think it can work for quite a few of the lines...I still think it's wrong, but it's another idea...

To fix that not broken:

Fine, for words not spoken - Comics are printed...

Seven eight nine

In twice the primetime,

A red and white spotted jewel - Marvel's logo is Red and White

before an audience of fools - Just like the tv reference...there are fools that read comics (not all, but some)

We thought we'd go far

We turned light into dark - Good/Bad fights?

on a walk in the park

Couldn't travel through the heat - Human Torch was in the first comic by Marvel?

Only bared two feet.

Just 70 later - 70th anniversary this year

Coal made into silver. -Silver surfer?

So maybe some marvel super hero(es)? Again, probably completely wrong, just getting things going...

It's not the digital clean up, ww2, or marvel comics. Though, I like that you guys have stuck with the 70th anniversary theme. Although, I caution you, guessing at the 70th anniversary and not the actual event will most likely prove inneficient. If I were you, I would start at the beginning. In regards to digital cleanup though, I think I remember "movies" coming into play somewhere in this riddle. Or a movie.

We thought we'd go far

Once around a star = a year? (once around the sun) So whatever it was, was hoped to last longer than less than a year (not once around a star)

We thought we'd go far

Once around a star = a year? (once around the sun) So whatever it was, was hoped to last longer than less than a year (not once around a star)

You're correct about that clue.

Edited by hungryjeff

Coal made into silver.

I'm not sure yet how coal fits in, but I think silver is a reference to the "silver scree" or movies. Also, the first lines makes me think this is a re-make of a slient movie or such. Unfortunately, that doesn't work with some of the other clues.

Coal made into silver.

I'm not sure yet how coal fits in, but I think silver is a reference to the "silver scree" or movies. Also, the first lines makes me think this is a re-make of a slient movie or such. Unfortunately, that doesn't work with some of the other clues.

Very good with the silver screen extract. However, you are right to doubt your guess of a remake in the earlier lines. No Charlie Chaplin here.

Very good with the silver screen extract. However, you are right to doubt your guess of a remake in the earlier lines. No Charlie Chaplin here.

Does it have anything to do with an animal?

Some reason october sky came to mind (so the rocket boys would be the people)...I mean it was about a coal mining town...it had to do with the space race...umm...sparkling jewel could be sputnik...umm...I don't know, just another stab in the dark...don't see how anything else relates really though

Some reason october sky came to mind (so the rocket boys would be the people)...I mean it was about a coal mining town...it had to do with the space race...umm...sparkling jewel could be sputnik...umm...I don't know, just another stab in the dark...don't see how anything else relates really though

No animals anywhere in this riddle, or in the answer. You are wrong about october sky. And jewel is a literal metaphor. The answer to the riddle is not a movie.

1.The intent of this is not to show someone over their head.

2.Every line has a function in proving the riddle.

3.Your assumption regarding not making it far is incorrect.

4.The inference of coal miners is incorrect. But interesting conclusion :). You're right to keep "bare two feet" though.

5.Spot on about the 70th anniversary. However, you are completely wrong about the subject.

6.The original riddle was devised when I got to work this morning and realised I had no work on my desk. I'm flattered if you think this riddle to be worth stealing.

7.No Alchemy here.

8.Oh yeah, "light into dark", why do you assume it's something spectacular they did? Is not fire one the most spectacular discoveries made by man to get rid of the dark?

i wasn't inferencing about coal MINERS. i was inferencing about the people that take hot coals from fires and walk bare-footed on them.

i wasn't inferencing about coal MINERS. i was inferencing about the people that take hot coals from fires and walk bare-footed on them.

Whoops. Sorry to misread that. Still no. "coal" is not literal.

From above:

Something was expected to last longer than one year.

70th anniversary fits in there somewhere.

Bare foot fits in there somewhere.

Something about the silver screen.

Don't get caught up around thinking about things having to do wtih coal. Why does one get coal in his stocking at Christmas?

Edited by hungryjeff

From above:

Something was expected to last longer than one year.

70th anniversary fits in there somewhere.

Bare foot fits in there somewhere.

Something about the silver screen.

Don't get caught up around thinking about things having to do wtih coal. Why does one get coal in his stocking at Christmas?

Whoops. Sorry to misread that. Still no. "coal" is not literal.

WHEN THEY ARE NAUGHTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

they turned light into dark. that is saying that someone turned off a light switch when the room was bright to start with. anyone else not getting that?

Yeah, me. Besides 1948 is only half right. And no to warner brothers, and the olympics. Olympics is kind of a step in the right direction...

Yeah, me. Besides 1948 is only half right. And no to warner brothers, and the olympics. Olympics is kind of a step in the right direction...

Oh sorry my question was badly worded.... i was using the second sentence as an example, not saying that it is what your riddle is saying.

Oh sorry my question was badly worded.... i was using the second sentence as an example, not saying that it is what your riddle is saying.

What I meant was, it does not mean someone turned off a light switch, that is not what the clue is suggesting.

What I meant was, it does not mean someone turned off a light switch, that is not what the clue is suggesting.

alright. so the clue is stated correctly. someone, even metaphorically, made something darker.

Coal made into silver.

this would mean

someone Came Second...

I think I have it

Atomic Bomb? Einstein contacted FDR on the subject and it fits most of the lines

no

Not the atomic bomb. Then answer to my riddle was not physically destructive. However, one could argue that it was culturally or socially destructive.