BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

There are 3 hens and 3 foxes all on the left hand side of a river.

You have to get all six across to the other side using a boat following these rules.

The boat can carry a maximum of 2 and a minimum of one, in either direction.

When the boat stops at either side, everyone gets out of the boat.

You can not have more foxes than hens on any side at anytime.

20 answers to this question

violating one rule, here's my answer:

Left Boat Right

FFFHHH - -

FFHH FH-> -

FFHH F<- H

FHH FF-> H

FHH F<- FH

FH FH-> FH

FH F<- FHH

H FF-> FHH

H F<- FFHH

- FH-> FFHH

- - FFFHHH

My answer appears to have a flaw, because of the statement "When the boat stops at either side, everyone gets out of the boat. If we then evaluate the rule that you cannot have more foxes than hens on any side at anytime (even after everyone got out of the boat), it seems any solution must fail.

violating one rule, here's my answer:

Left Boat Right

FFFHHH - -

FFHH FH-> -

FFHH F<- H

FHH FF-> H

FHH F<- FH

FH FH-> FH

FH F<- FHH

H FF-> FHH

H F<- FFHH

- FH-> FFHH

- - FFFHHH

My answer appears to have a flaw, because of the statement "When the boat stops at either side, everyone gets out of the boat. If we then evaluate the rule that you cannot have more foxes than hens on any side at anytime (even after everyone got out of the boat), it seems any solution must fail.

Good try, but alas it is incorrect. The rules are set in order to make it a little more complicated, otherwise it would be too easy, but I promise it is plausible even with everyone getting out of the boat. Yours fails on the first return journey as you have 3 foxes and 2 hens so the hens would be eaten.

FFFHHH--

FFHH-FH-

FFHH--FH

FFHH-H-F

FFHHH--F

HHH-FF-F

HHH--FFF

HHH-F-FF

FHHH--FF

FH-HH-FF

FH--FFHH

FH-FH-FH

FFHH--FH

FF-HH-FH

FF--FHHH

FF-F-HHH

FFF--HHH

F-FF-HHH

F--FFHHH

F-F-FHHH

FF--FHHH

-FF-FHHH

--FFFHHH

is it permitted to leave multiple foxes on one side if there are no hens on that side? It violates the letter of the law (no more foxes than hens), but does not violate the spirit of the law (no hens can be eaten).

you say the boat carries a minimum of one. Is that the person rowing? Or does that mean a minimum of one (fox or hen)?

I think I got it...

Foxes = F; Hens = H

1. FH go to side b – FFHH on side a / FH on side b

2. H returns to side a – FFHHH on side a / F on side b

3. FF go to side b – HHH on side a / FFF on side b

4. F returns to side a – FHHH on side a / FF on side b

5. HH go to side b – FH on side a / FFHH on side b

6. FH return to side a – FFHH on side a / FH on side b

7. HH go to side b – FF on side a / FHHH on side b

8. F returns to side a – FFF on side a / HHH on side b

9. FF go to side b – F on side a / FFHHH on side b

10. F returns to side a – FF on side a / FHHH on side b

11. FF go to side b – 0 on side a / FFFHHH on side b

There are 3 hens and 3 foxes all on the left hand side of a river.

You have to get all six across to the other side using a boat following these rules.

The boat can carry a maximum of 2 and a minimum of one, in either direction.

When the boat stops at either side, everyone gets out of the boat.

You can not have more foxes than hens on any side at anytime.

I may be oversimplifying the problem but why not

Just take one hen and one fox across each time and ride back alone.

HHHFFF

HHFF > HF

HF > HHFF

> HHHFFF

FFFHHH--

FFHH-FH-

FFHH--FH

FFHH-H-F

FFHHH--F

HHH-FF-F

HHH--FFF

HHH-F-FF

FHHH--FF

FH-HH-FF

FH--FFHH

FH-FH-FH

FFHH--FH

FF-HH-FH

FF--FHHH

FF-F-HHH

FFF--HHH

F-FF-HHH

F--FFHHH

F-F-FHHH

FF--FHHH

-FF-FHHH

--FFFHHH

SPOT ON!!!

FFFHHH--

FFHH-FH-

FFHH--FH

FFHH-H-F

FFHHH--F

HHH-FF-F

HHH--FFF

HHH-F-FF

FHHH--FF

FH-HH-FF

FH--FFHH

FH-FH-FH

FFHH--FH

FF-HH-FH

FF--FHHH

FF-F-HHH

FFF--HHH

F-FF-HHH

F--FFHHH

F-F-FHHH

FF--FHHH

-FF-FHHH

--FFFHHH

I agree with this. I worked out the same solution.

HHHFFF

HHFF > HF

HF > HHFF

> HHHFFF

LOL, because someone has to bring the boat back to the other side, it can't just float back by itself lol.

you say the boat carries a minimum of one. Is that the person rowing? Or does that mean a minimum of one (fox or hen)?

is it permitted to leave multiple foxes on one side if there are no hens on that side? It violates the letter of the law (no more foxes than hens), but does not violate the spirit of the law (no hens can be eaten).

Spoiler 1, yes you can have all foxes on 1 side without any hens. No more foxes than hens on any one side, meaning if the foxes outnumber the hens, they would be "overpowered and eaten" not that a fox needs to overpower a chicken but you get the idea!

Spoiler 2 - No one is rowing, person(s) refers to hens or foxes.

O=hen X=fox

OOOXXX ------

OOXX ---- OX

OOOXX ---- X

OOO ---- XXX

OOOX ---- XX

OX ---- OOXX

OOOX ---- XX

OOO ---- XXX

OOOXX ---- X

OOOX ---- XX

OOOXXX ----

Edited by The monkey of the jungle

Wiggy- you really need to go back and clarify the original riddle. "You can not have more foxes than hens on any side at anytime."

ONE fox is MORE than zero hens. This would save a lot of time in trying to solve it.

I fully agree with Kimbby's answer, but we have to break the rule.

Wiggy- you really need to go back and clarify the original riddle. "You can not have more foxes than hens on any side at anytime."

ONE fox is MORE than zero hens. This would save a lot of time in trying to solve it.

I fully agree with Kimbby's answer, but we have to break the rule.

We don't have to break the rule becauese if you look at my post with "Sorry!Now tested answer," and look at my answer, you see that I did not break the rules. In another post made by "CaptainEd", the one that has 2 spoilers, and then look at "Wiggy74's" reply, he makes the rules more clear.

We don't have to break the rule becauese if you look at my post with "Sorry!Now tested answer," and look at my answer, you see that I did not break the rules. In another post made by "CaptainEd", the one that has 2 spoilers, and then look at "Wiggy74's" reply, he makes the rules more clear.

You DID break the rules, monkey. Did you even look at what I said? Wiggy needs to clarify the ORIGINAL riddle. I don't look at other people's answers until I solve it, so "clarifying" it later wouldn't matter. Plus, Wiggy tried to justify his/her original phrasing instead of admitting the omission of the clause about foxes eating hens.

ONE FOX is more than ZERO hens. Period. Adding a rationale an hour later when someone questions your phrasing isn't being a good sport. I suggest you read posts before you flippantly respond to them and I suggest Wiggy writes out the full riddle without contradictions before posting again.

HHHFFF

HHFF > HF

HF > HHFF

> HHHFFF

That's what I thought, it obeys the rules doesn't it!!!

I suggest Wiggy writes out the full riddle without contradictions before posting again.

If one is to have their riddles/teasers perfected before posting them here, then we are unlikely to see many riddles. It is often difficult to objectively see the problems inherent in a riddle you've written yourself. We are not allowed to edit the OP after a period of 15 minutes (or something close to that figure), so following your instructions would be impossible.

However, Mr. Wiggly did address the problem promptly and sufficiently, at least to the source of the original question, it would seem. Note also, that that question was originally asked and answered in the civil and polite manner which is suggested in the "Important: READ BEFORE POSTING" section permanently attached to every page.

As few here are perfect, I would ask for a bit of patience and tolerance if we don't get things right the first time. I believe that, quite often, you will find that you will be genuinely thanked for your constructive and considerate advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are solely and entirely those of Grayven and are in no way representative of BrainDen or its affiliated personnel. Please address any future discussion on this post to Grayven himself via the "Personal Message" system, as off-topic discussions are discouraged and can lead to account banning which would be a major bummer. Grayven really likes his BrainDen. :)

Welcome to the Den, Wiggy74. This is one of my favorites and that's why it is already posted as Cannibals and Missionaries. If you like this type of puzzles then I recommend to go through 1 whole page dedicated to them - River Crossing Puzzles.

Reading "Important: READ BEFORE POSTING" (the link is at the top as well) might help you to do a quick search before you post a puzzle that you have not created.

Enjoy the Den ;)

Thread closed.