BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I have killed.

Oh yes, I have killed.

But I have saved many, too.

So don't write me off as a sinner just yet.

It is I that kills,

Yet once I have visited,

You will miss me when I've gone.

I come in many forms,

and I do not always introduce myself directly.

I am well traveled, moving from Sumeria to Assyria,

Egypt, and Greece.

Across the known world I have travelled.

I fueled the troops of Alexander,

pushing them harder than their enemies.

In the 16th century,

the Portuguese unsheathed my blade.

In the 19th century, the Germans sharpened my edge,

and the English shaped me into a Kris.

Once lauded as a savior,

Now in darkness.

2nd ever riddle, feedback please!

Edited by Mickey

Iron or steel? Probably wrong, but hopefully it'll get the wheels turning.

Welcome to the Den! That was my next guess. I feel they're both wrong but we have to start somewhere.

Welcome to the Den! That was my next guess. I feel they're both wrong but we have to start somewhere.

Thanks, I've been looking in on these for quite some time, but just now decided to make this account.

Could be religion.

Edited by Silencer

Thanks, I've been looking in on these for quite some time, but just now decided to make this account.

Could be religion.

it does seem to be a good answer, the mention of weapons has me scrolling through wikipedia for references but i'm not really sure if that has much to do with the riddle or is more for metaphore

weapons can be used for good or evil. they can kill. they can be widly circulated. alexander obviously used weapons but something used by him to show up in england for the first time in the 19th century is puzzling. the kris is a special dagger originating in southeast asia i think, and has a curved handle for more power to stab

very nice riddle

Fear works for most of it, but the last two lines don't fit. Too bad. Love may be another possibility, but that works less well than Fear.

Oh wait.... MONEY?! Yeah, I'll go with money. It's wrong, but I like the way it works with the last lines.

I hate multi-posting, but I have another suggestion that may help.

Imperialism seems to fit. Alexander the Great and sixteenth century Portugal seem to fit that. However, it pretty much only fits Germany and England if it's set in the twentieth century. Unless I missed something from history class (entirely probable).

I love your guesses-- I would especially appreciate any explanations as to why you guess what you guess, but you guys are going in the totally wrong direction. I would highlight war, but the connection is so shaky it would probably do you all a disservice.

I hate multi-posting, but I have another suggestion that may help.
Imperialism seems to fit. Alexander the Great and sixteenth century Portugal seem to fit that. However, it pretty much only fits Germany and England if it's set in the twentieth century. Unless I missed something from history class (entirely probable).

German Empire, formed in the late 1800s. I'm fairly certain now.

War, with a capital? As in the sexy red-headed biker chick of the Apocalypse? (if you don't know the reference, it's worth looking into.
;))

I don't know the reference at all! :unsure:

does the answer have something to do with your title, Angelic Reaper? i alway overlook those because i can never come up with good ones myself.

is it something physical or something more phycological or biological?

does the answer have something to do with your title, Angelic Reaper? i alway overlook those because i can never come up with good ones myself.
is it something physical or something more phycological or biological?

The title is a metaphoric hint. No reference or anything hidden there.

This depends entirely on who you ask. Entire books on biology and psychology and history and... well, we don't want to give away too much!

something biological, such as a disease or bacteria. i'm not sure about the history of chemical warfare, (other than tossing diseased cattle over walls)but it could be an answer, especialy if it were also the source of some medicine like penicillan

something biological, such as a disease or bacteria. i'm not sure about the history of chemical warfare, (other than tossing diseased cattle over walls)but it could be an answer, especialy if it were also the source of some medicine like penicillan

This is a fascinating observation! But it has little to do with the answer. Nonetheless, I'm glad your opening the door to something like penicillin!

I have killed.

Oh yes, I have killed.

But I have saved many, too.

So don't write me off as a sinner just yet.

It is I that kills,

Yet once I have visited,

You will miss me when I've gone.

I come in many forms,

and I do not always introduce myself directly.

I am well traveled, moving from Sumeria to Assyria,

Egypt, and Greece.

Across the known world I have travelled.

I fueled the troops of Alexander,

pushing them harder than their enemies.

In the 16th century,

the Portuguese unsheathed my blade.

In the 19th century, the Germans sharpened my edge,

and the English shaped me into a Kris.

Once lauded as a savior,

Now in darkness.

2nd ever riddle, feedback please!