BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

...this is a branch off of CuteSparklezGirl's 'Is there a spiritual world?' topic...please feel free 2 tell your experiences and thoughts...no teasing or arguing please...

• Answers 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Who needs the truth? Such ridiculous nonsense. Like when my lady-caller insists that she doesn't own an extravagant carriage pulled by a flock of horses. She named it, "Shoes" in case you were wondering. She goes on about how she walks from place to place, but I say nay, the truth is less exciting. Less believable.

edit: If anyone sees anything wrong with my logic, please, speak forth.

Edited by Zerep

Continuing on the navel thing: why do men have nipples? I doubt it's because God wanted to give man another way to arouse himself. He clearly doesn't need them for breast-feeding. mountain piercings don't seem like something I could see God going for either..

Any takers?

..Maybe he screwed up on making man. It was originally a woman, but god didn't like how she looked, she was to square and had organs protruding from her nether regions (trying to keep this as kid-friendly as possible). So he settled for a man, instead of a woman.

Bah, I don't know how to explain this scientifically. Okay, so using Atlantis as an example, here goes nothing. Atlantis's mind, since being a young child, has been susceptible to 'imaginary friends', and eventually she believed in them so much, that they never went away. They became axioms, and as she grew older, she kept building on them. The creatures in her mind exist to her to this day, because her mind has been fooling itself for so long. She lives in a delusional world, and though fairies aren't the worst case, she *could* be a harm to herself, or those around her. For example, imagine she's driving her car, but the magical fairy princess is in the middle of the road. Swerving to avoid her, she crashes into a semi-truck, the consequences of that being whatever real-life provides, death and hospitalization definitely among these. Now, a non-hallucinating person would have continued driving normally, death and crashes avoided. I get the feeling your only playing devil's advocate though. I don't see who would fail to realize how dangerous hallucinations can be.

...I hope you were just stating an extreme situation...not insinuating that this would ever hapen to me...

Okay, dreams. We all realize dreams aren't reality, right? I'm perfectly fine with dreams of any sort, but the second you confuse your dreams and imagination with reality, you've gone too far. I'm sorry, but it's true. I know Atlantis can't just shut off her imagination, I see that from this thread, but she can still get help.

...I do not need any help...

I don't see why people (especially adults) can't just be happy with their lives, and live without having imaginary things there to make them think it's better than it actually is. Hell, I'm fecking nihilist and am perfectly content with my life. Praying to an imaginary God or writing a list to Santa won't get you anything from either one. (Let's not get too technical with Santa btw. I'm referring to the current big fat red jolly guy, not St. Nicholas.)

I think there is plenty wrong with that. People should get over the 'sadness' of their unimportant existence and just live. It's pretty arrogant of us to think we're so important anyway.

Again, people need to get over themselves and understand real-life. Sh*t happens, you'll get over it. Go good to do good, not for Gawd.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just jealous that people can have such a care-free simple life. "Oh, you did this to me, but that's alright 'cos you'll burn in hell." ..It doesn't work like that. I don't care what makes you happy, stick to reality. I don't care if you're scared of death, get the hell over it. Live while you're here, die like you lived. Or something like that.

Atlantis, yes, your beliefs reflect other people's religions completely. They make you happy, they serve a purpose, and they're totally ridiculous.

...I am perfectly happy with my life...I do not make things up to make my life more interesting...the faries and others are a part of my life...if anyone needs to get over themselves it's you Izzy...if you do not believe then fine...but quit bashing the beliefs of others...how would you feel if I just started insisting that what you believe in was false and that you had mental problems and needed help?...this topic is supposed to be for open-minded discussion...an you are having a VERY closed mind right now...

...I hope you were just stating an extreme situation...not insinuating that this would ever hapen to me...

Definitely an extreme, but I'm not saying that it couldn't happen. Obviously not that I would want it to happen, but I'm only being realistic and honest with you.

...I do not need any help...

No comment.

...I am perfectly happy with my life...I do not make things up to make my life more interesting...the faries and others are a part of my life...if anyone needs to get over themselves it's you Izzy...if you do not believe then fine...but quit bashing the beliefs of others...how would you feel if I just started insisting that what you believe in was false and that you had mental problems and needed help?...this topic is supposed to be for open-minded discussion...an you are having a VERY closed mind right now...

Happiness is good. If you're making things up, you're doing it subconsciously anyway (hence you not realizing it). They're part of your life, yes, but that doesn't make them real. Heh, back-up. I think this was one of those times I wasn't coming off like an arrogant prick. d3k3 just explained (much more elegantly) what I was trying to explain in another thread anyway. "We are the ones who need to give [our life] a purpose, preferably one that is divine, because by extension it gives our own lives divine purpose. Being part of a "plan" is just another way we can live in denial of our mortality." I don't believe. I'm not bashing, I'm pointing out the truth. I'm not specifically targeting you, I do this with most people. Claim what you want, but have something to back it up with. Open-mindedness includes the listening to the opinions of those you don't agree with, and if you're right in the first place, you should be able to refute what I say. We've now gone through 21 pages, most of which I've been active in, and you haven't given one piece of slightly compelling evidence as to why we should believe your claims. "I see them." is about the extent of your 'argument'. I'm sorry, but that's not going to cut it for most people.

...that's what I got...

Ya go with what ya got!

I was an atheist/agnostic for 40 years. Then I started writing a fictional story about fictional characters. For some reason I decided that in order to make the characters richer they ought to believe in spirits. Well, these characters saw the spirits and interacted with them. It made their lives richer!

Iz has a plenty rich life without taking the time to look beyond reason for even more richness. Fine. But Atlantis tells us that there's more. Why is it that the two most read books of the 20th century are 1.) the bible and 2.) Tolkein's Lord of the Rings?

...Uh. What?

I think that you are taking it too far Iz!

I'm not saying that what Atlantis says is true, but it's much easier to defend your point of view if you only say that there are no evidence for her to support what she claims!

Yes there's no evidence, but a lack of evidence is no proof and we know that from forensic science. Not everyone gets sentenced for what they did, not everyone gets what they deserve. A lot of times criminals are getting released because of lack of evidence, or no evidence. Everyone knows that person is guilty, but they can't prove it. And that's science Iz! (I know that this is not a good example)

Lack of evidence is not a proof that something does not exists, and a lot of times finding "evidence" is not a proof of existence.

Atlantis meant that seeing those creatures is all the evidence that she has and she wanted to share that with other people, or even find someone with similar experience.

You are turning every thread here into a debate war, and yes I think that you should definitely be in a debate team of the college you pick to attend, cause with your brain you can pick what ever college that you want, but you have to learn how to respect your opponents in a debate Iz ;)

Edited by andromeda

Why is it that the two most read books of the 20th century are 1.) the bible and 2.) Tolkein's Lord of the Rings?

Same reason Harry Potter and Twilight (eugh) are so popular. ;)

I think that you are taking it too far Iz!

Eh, she's an adult, she can handle it.

I'm not saying that what Atlantis says is true, but it's much easier to defend your point of view if you only say that there are no evidence for her to support what she claims!

Yes there's no evidence, but a lack of evidence is no proof and we know that from forensic science. Not everyone gets sentenced for what they did, not everyone gets what they deserve. A lot of times criminals are getting released because of lack of evidence, or no evidence. Everyone knows that person is guilty, but they can't prove it. And that's science Iz! (I know that this is not a good example)

Lack of evidence is not a proof that something does not exists, and a lot of times finding "evidence" is not a proof of existence.

Absence of belief does not require proof of absence. I can never completely disprove the existence of her fairies, and nor can the world's best scientist disprove my made up imaginary friend Bob. Extraordinary claims, I want extraordinary evidence. I have none. If we're not going to be rational people and dismiss completely silly claims, then we might as well all live in a delusion.

Atlantis meant that seeing those creatures is all the evidence that she has and she wanted to share that with other people, or even find someone with similar experience.

Ah, I understood that wrong. I interpreted 'got' as 'understood'. "That's all I understood", which made completely no sense. And then the "Uh, what?" meant "Make sense please?", not "And what exactly have you got..?" Silly English.

You are turning every thread here into a debate war, and yes I think that you should definitely be in a debate team of the college you pick to attend, cause with your brain you can pick what ever college that you want, but you have to learn how to respect your opponents in a debate Iz

That's totally exaggerating. :P Not every thread, just 90% of those I post in. My respect is earned, not given, regardless of anyone's age or status. I can be polite enough to let a person finish talking/posting, and to not complete bash their ideas (at least at first), but that by no means should you think this means I respect them.

If we're not going to be rational people and dismiss completely silly claims, then we might as well all live in a delusion.

You can dismiss completely silly claims, and you are, but what I don't understand is why are you trying to convince everyone else that they should do the same, that's where you are wrong cause everyone has a right to believe anything they want to believe.

Enough of the off topic jibber jabber. Back to the creatures or make a new thread.

We ARE talking about fairies slick :dry: (mythical creatures :rolleyes: ) read more carefully next time.

Actually when I think about it we are being off topic here... if we look at the OP it states

...this is a branch off of CuteSparklezGirl's 'Is there a spiritual world?' topic...please feel free 2 tell your experiences and thoughts...no teasing or arguing please...

Atlantis wanted to talk about mythical creatures so we should just let anyone who wants to discuss this to do so.

Slick is right... we shouldn't be arguing about this anymore.

OK so I'm starting a new mythical creature discussion... how about Allghoi Khorkhoi

I have a theory about it but I wanna hear your thoughts first :)

Izzy?

Edited by andromeda

Okay, okay, I'm done arguing. One last thought before I move on to the worm: Yes, everyone has the right to believe whatever they want, but that doesn't mean they should. I fail to see the point in believing in something wrong (that is known to be wrong.) *shrugs* Okay, so she doesn't understand she's wrong. Probably won't. Whatever. I'm done, not my problem anymore.

Worm: Umm, well, obviously I have no where near enough research on it to decide for certain whether I think it exists or not, but I suppose it's probable. Like, if something that could represent an ancestor of the worm could be found, then chances of its existence increases. But if there aren't any other ginormous worms running around, *shrugs*. Definitely a no on the spewing sulfuric acid. Electric discharge? Lol, what. Do we know of any other animals capable of doing this?

But yeah, these animals are fairly huge. Worms are asexual, right? I'm thinking they can just reproduce with themselves, so there isn't necessarily a large number of them.

I have to think about it, possible research. Feeling like going out for a bit now though, later.

...ewww!!!...worm are gross!...especially giant ones...for that reason alone I hope this does not exist...otherwise it could be an interesting discovery...

My suspicion is that they don't exist, cause thousands of dollars were wasted by many groups of scientists and enthusiasts to to find them but they had no luck. Now that still doesn't mean that they don't exist, however...

If you take a look at the map and where Mongolia is situated, on the north of China. So it's possible, actually very probable that the smuggling routs were going over the Gobi desert. Therefore the smugglers had to think of a some scary legend to keep people away from the desert so they could smuggle their goods without any witnesses! :)

Interesting fact: Mongolia is the only place on the face of the Earth where there are still wild horses running free and the Mongolian government will do everything that's in their power to keep it that way. :)

Wow. Some of those posts were REALLY off topic. So, erm.... do mythical creatures exist or not. I would say not, with a few exceptions. Like loch ness monster prob. existed. any thoughts?

no not Nessie (see below). But I had this theory about yetis, and how they were sighted all over the world with different names (yetis, sasquatches, yowees, mapinguaras, etc, lots of other names for "big shaggy furry apemen")... probably BS, though it might not be

the Loch Ness Monster: ""London, Dec. 18 (Reuters) - A Scottish member of Parliament has discovered an anagram for Nessiteras rhombopteryx... Nicholas Fairbairn, the MP, announced the anagram in a letter to The Times: 'Monster hoax by Sir Peter S.' ("Loch Ness Monster Shown a Hoax by Another Name." New York Times 19 December 1975. p. 78.)"

the "scientific name" can be moved around to form 'Monster hoax...(etc)'. That could've been done later though. The wikipedia article on it is pretty complete actually, though I'm sure there are better sources. It's most likely BS

...I think it is more likely that creatures like 'Bigfoot' and 'Nessie' exist when you look at all the undiscovered areas of the world...the depths of the oceans and the rainforests are still undiscovered...

...I think it is more likely that creatures like 'Bigfoot' and 'Nessie' exist when you look at all the undiscovered areas of the world...the depths of the oceans and the rainforests are still undiscovered...
I can agree that possibilities exist.

When I saw this, I definitely believed it was true. Unexpectedly.

I can agree that possibilities exist.

When I saw this, I definitely believed it was true. Unexpectedly.

Fascinating. Truly.

I think this is where the real v. myth discussion happens. You have a very real creature, which is so reclusive and rare that reliable photographic evidence is nearly impossible to obtain. Rumors start and a certain mythology develops as people speculate about the possible details. This could certainly be the case with "bigfoot" and his relatives. Is there in fact a race of bipeds, perhaps a small tribe of some primate race thought to be extinct, that has been sighted a handful of times without proof, thus creating the illusion of myth?

Of course it is unlikely. Unlikely, by definition, allows for the possibility.

I think we can be sure that as we expand our exploration and presence into those few wild areas of the world where these creatures could take refuge, we will eventually be faced with undeniable proof one way or another. Should be interesting to watch.