BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

...this is a branch off of CuteSparklezGirl's 'Is there a spiritual world?' topic...please feel free 2 tell your experiences and thoughts...no teasing or arguing please...

• Answers 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Well if they would have helped you sooner then you would have never learned your lesson :P as you probably didn't since you still don't wear helmets! :lol:

..Are fairies omniscient? 'Cos if they are, they would have known that I wouldn't learn a lesson anyway, so yeah... Eh, if anything that's some evidence for gawd not looking out for me. :P

..Are fairies omniscient? 'Cos if they are, they would have known that I wouldn't learn a lesson anyway, so yeah... Eh, if anything that's some evidence for gawd not looking out for me. :P

...did it make you respect your life more?...or did the thought 'man I'm glad I'm still alive' at least flash through your mind?...this is why these near death experiences happen...usually you are doing something that could turn out bad and this is your second chance at making a better decision later...

...did it make you respect your life more?

Nope.

...or did the thought 'man I'm glad I'm still alive' at least flash through your mind?

No.

...this is why these near death experiences happen...

Apparently not, because I've said no to both?

usually you are doing something that could turn out bad

True! You've managed to get something about me right, lol. Even if I chopped your thought in half.

and this is your second chance at making a better decision later...

Okay, I can accept that. Well, not a second chance. Knowledge gained, which I can either use or not use. Here's the totally honest thing that most people refuse to believe when I tell them. I don't particularly care whether I live or die. I don't want to die, just because I haven't done everything I want to do, and it would be massively inconvenient to those around me, but if I did, it wouldn't really bother me. And no, I don't have some stupid heaven to look forward to. Dying for me would be like before I was born. Which is oddly a soothing thought.. But yeah. I've had quite a few near death experiences. Several almost getting run over, almost drowned when I was like two, a pretty bad dirt bike wreck, and some I don't want to get into which apparently I haven't learned from, but whatever. Just.. live your life. Don't count on some dumb fairies protecting you. Have fun. No regrets. Don't let the government get in your way. Don't die without actually living. Definitely don't embrace death, but don't let it get to you. I'll stop now because I forgot what I'm talking about.

Wow! I almost have drowned when I was 2 years old and could have gotten killed several times, most of them on bike, two near (way too near) on foot, but it's same here with me I didn't respect life more, nor I was thinking "Man I'm glad I'm still alive". I think that Hollywood is feeding us with that nonsense, oh and those self help books!

Don't get me wrong I'm glad that I'm alive, but I never feel anything when I almost get killed?! :huh:

ON TOPIC: I think that people need God, fairies, angels and other "creatures" in order to feel safe in this world and to have a feeling that they have some control over their lives.

Those that believe in God think that if they live their life "by the book" pray every night etc. that they will be safe from all the harm, or if life does pull some nasty trick on them they will always have God to rely on. Same goes for guardian angels or fairies. People feel safer if they believe that there's always someone to protect them and keep them safe from harm.

For those people it would probably be terrifying to think that they are all alone in the world and that everything is out to get them without any safety net whatsoever.

Edited by andromeda

i don't know anyone who thinks if they follow the book theyll be safe from everything. It doesnt even mean god will help or protect you. All it means is your a better person and you have a better chance to get into heaven (god gives you heaven you cant earn it). Some people need that, some people want that. Some dont even believe it but follow it because it provides them with a measure of security or makes them a better person.

but at the same side i know plenty of people that believe in nothing and ive felt they do it out of insecurity. They see evil in the world and cant accept a god. They see the old miracles being explained by science and use that to deny God. They dont realize that the fact the something used to prove god has been disproven (or close to it) does not mean god is false. Thats like saying the grounds red and the sky is not the same color, so the sky is not red. Well the grounds not red, but that doesnt disprove the sky not being red (or a different color then the ground).

There is just a counter culture movement (there always is). Your parents were republican so now most are democrats. Your parents (or grandparents) were heavy in religion so we cant accept it. You dad liked wearing shorts that were ridiculously short for him so now we were them below our knees.

My last thought is this. Everything in the world has to be taken for belief. Our perception of everything is based on electrical signals interpreted by an organ so complicated that scientist just shrug and give you an EKG if somethings wrong with it. You have no idea if what you experience is anywhere near what someone else's is. What you see as blue could be exactly what red looks like to someone else. Im not talking about color blindness im just asking how do you know that your brain doesnt switch two colors. How would you know? You just have to believe colors color. Its like in the movie the matrix where they ask how do you know that the machines didnt switch what chicken and tastey wheat tasted like? We dont know either? or even to go so far as evolution. (dont over react i believe in the theory of evolution its just an example) they can tell you a bunch of "facts" about evolution and you can accept them or not. You can look at fossils, but that can be disproven or proven easily without the science that you yourself cannot do or really prove. You just trust that all the scientists in the world arent out to pull one over on you. It would be absurd. That is kind of like religion.

To be honest i dont care what you believe and i dont know what i believe. but as long as your not an atheist that never really looked at religion with an open mind, or a bible thumper that never questioned a thing, you at least have something.

(i talk of god because he is who i was taught i mean any higher being)

I seem to have encountered a slight problem. It's about the dragonfly wings, the most recent common ancestor of dragonflies and humans existed 555 million years ago and looked something like this:

post-13995-1244831084.png

So are the fairies born with their wings? Are they from some other planet? Please explain. :huh:

I don't see the problem. Dragonfly nymphs do not have wings.

Nymphs that do their duties well can sprout wings and become fairies, pixies or other sprites. It's kind of a promotion.

My avatar is a Brook Sprite.

The really puzzling question is: are there male nymphs and fairies?

I don't see the problem. Dragonfly nymphs do not have wings.

Nymphs that do their duties well can sprout wings and become fairies, pixies or other sprites. It's kind of a promotion.

My avatar is a Brook Sprite.

The really puzzling question is: are there male nymphs and fairies?

But what do the wings sprout from, dragonfly nymphs' wings grow under their exoskeleton as they develop, and then they shed their skin the final time and emerge as the winged reproductive stage. The final stage of all organisms is the reproductive stage. From what I've heard, Nymphs are capable of promiscuity.

So what I want to know is:

Why dragonfly wings?

Where do they sprout from?

How do they function?

Who promotes them?

And are fairies born from eggs, live birth, or spontaneous generation by cause of child laughter or something?

i don't know anyone who thinks if they follow the book theyll be safe from everything. It doesnt even mean god will help or protect you. All it means is your a better person and you have a better chance to get into heaven (god gives you heaven you cant earn it). Some people need that, some people want that. Some dont even believe it but follow it because it provides them with a measure of security or makes them a better person.

My emphasis. You think being a homosexual stoning, woman oppressing, genocidal racist makes a you good person? Or, if there are "good atheists", a better person? You're insane. Anyone who actually lives by the Bible, the literal interpretation with every line followed, is by all moral standards, a TERRIBLE person.

If a man or woman living among you in one of the towns the LORD gives you is found doing evil in the eyes of the LORD your God in violation of his covenant, and contrary to my command has worshiped other gods, bowing down to them or to the sun or the moon or the stars of the sky… Take the man or woman who has done this evil deed to your city gate and stone that person to death. – Deut 17:2-7

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods …do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. - Deut 13:7-12

Anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD must be put to death. The entire assembly must stone him. – Lev 24:16

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife - with the wife of his neighbor - both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death. - Leviticus 20:10

If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death. - Leviticus 20:13

If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father and mother, who does not heed them when they discipline him, then his father and his mother shall ... say to the elders of his town, ‘This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of the town shall stone him to death. - Deut 21

Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life. - Leviticus 25:44

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property. - Exodus Chapter 21:20

Bid slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect; they are not to be refractory, nor to pilfer, but to show entire and true fidelity. - Titus 2:9

Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. - Numbers 31

I'm guessing you're also all good women that know her place and keeps her mouth shut in church, right?:

Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church. - 1 Corinthians 14

And:

Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent. - 1 Tim 2

but at the same side i know plenty of people that believe in nothing and ive felt they do it out of insecurity.

Not even close. Though personally, I would never trust the feeling off a theist, anyway. Perhaps you should ignore your own? Moving on. No, I don't believe in God/mythical creatures because there IS NO EVIDENCE FOR THEIR EXISTENCE. Really, this should all be a brain exercise. Remember when you got over Santa? Do the same thing with your god. Really, there's a lot more evidence for Santa than God. Flaws with both.

They see evil in the world and cant accept a god.

I don't see evil. I see natural disasters and human cruelty and ignorance. Though to be fair, this is brilliant:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.

Is he able, but not willing? then he is malevolent.

Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus"

They see the old miracles being explained by science and use that to deny God.

Surely, if something is a miracle, ie, something that is surprising and not explicable by natural or scientific law and must therefore be the result of divine intervention, and that something is explained by scientists, then it isn't a miracle? This is classic fallacious thinking. "I don't know how this happened, so Gawd must have done it."

They dont realize that the fact the something used to prove god has been disproven (or close to it) does not mean god is false.

We do realize that. I've said it myself on this board before. Absence of proof isn't proof of absence, but it's certainly evidence for it. Search through some of the older threads. All this has been covered..

Thats like saying the grounds red and the sky is not the same color, so the sky is not red. Well the grounds not red, but that doesnt disprove the sky not being red (or a different color then the ground).

What a terrible analogy; we're not saying that at all. Unrelated, but do you understand color/sight at all? There's actually a very little range of visible light we can see, so no one actually sees stuff the way it is. Also, when you look at something, there's a pretty limited amount you can see, so the rest is your brain imagining it.

There is just a counter culture movement (there always is). Your parents were republican so now most are democrats. Your parents (or grandparents) were heavy in religion so we cant accept it. You dad liked wearing shorts that were ridiculously short for him so now we were them below our knees.

Do you honestly want to argue this point? Sure, there are changing trends. You know those lime green checkered skinny jeans every thinks are so fab? That's what the punks were wearing in the 80s! It's (mostly) cyclical. With regards to religion, what? Total face palm dude. The reason Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc. have survived so long is because parents are passing them down to their offspring, and the kids believe the nonsense. If we had every other generation rebelling against their parents, well, religion would have died by now, because no one would bother passing it down. FORTUNATELY, science has advanced tremendously and scientific essays are becoming much more accessible, so anyone can look into the BS of religion.

My last thought is this. Everything in the world has to be taken for belief. Our perception of everything is based on electrical signals interpreted by an organ so complicated that scientist just shrug and give you an EKG if somethings wrong with it.

Scientific ignorance is no reason to assume a deity did it.

*edit* Had to split post because it was too long. See next page before responding.

Edited by Izzy

You have no idea if what you experience is anywhere near what someone else's is. What you see as blue could be exactly what red looks like to someone else. Im not talking about color blindness im just asking how do you know that your brain doesnt switch two colors. How would you know? You just have to believe colors color. Its like in the movie the matrix where they ask how do you know that the machines didnt switch what chicken and tastey wheat tasted like? We dont know either?

No, we don't know, but we still have all these arbitrary details in our lives that need to be assigned names. We're able to see different colors, and henceforth assign those colors different names. It doesn't matter what the color is called, the point is that you can differentiate that color from a different color, and communicate with other people about that color. For example, if I take two non-color blind babies, that see colors differently, and show them the same piece of paper, and raise them to think the color of that paper is 'blue' (assuming most people actually see the paper as blue), and one sees green and the other orange, it won't matter, because they'll still call it blue. How do you know whether or not you're seeing colors the way other people do? It doesn't matter, because you call them the same thing. It's the same thing with taste. As long as we recognize different tastes, it doesn't matter what we call them or if they taste the same to everyone.

or even to go so far as evolution. (dont over react i believe in the theory of evolution its just an example) they can tell you a bunch of "facts" about evolution and you can accept them or not. You can look at fossils, but that can be disproven or proven easily without the science that you yourself cannot do or really prove. You just trust that all the scientists in the world arent out to pull one over on you. It would be absurd. That is kind of like religion.

Well, people question scientific consensus. The reason we have professionals and consensus is that people not trained in the area can safely obtain knowledge without having to have a PhD, and I don't need to be an evolutionary biologist to have confidence in evolution. I have no reason to doubt the theory, as it's been verified, checked and tested and it's passed. I can get by on basic knowledge because I can trust professionals. I generally trust professional consensus unless I have good reason not to, and that's what other people are for. Almost all science is peer-reviewed, so it's very unlikely BS is going to get by. Maybe if you doubted your religion as much as you doubt evolution, you would get somewhere. ;)

To be honest i dont care what you believe and i dont know what i believe. but as long as your not an atheist that never really looked at religion with an open mind, or a bible thumper that never questioned a thing, you at least have something.

Atheists have lots of stuff! A rational outlook on the world! The ability to stay cheerful even when the world is pointless/depressing! A clear mind! Oh, and a really cool support group. :P

(i talk of god because he is who i was taught i mean any higher being)

Uh-huh... Which one, and why is that god the right one?

My emphasis. You think being a homosexual stoning, woman oppressing, genocidal racist makes a you good person? Or, if there are "good atheists", a better person? You're insane. Anyone who actually lives by the Bible, the literal interpretation with every line followed, is by all moral standards, a TERRIBLE person.

If a man or woman living among you in one of the towns the LORD gives you is found doing evil in the eyes of the LORD your God in violation of his covenant, and contrary to my command has worshiped other gods, bowing down to them or to the sun or the moon or the stars of the sky… Take the man or woman who has done this evil deed to your city gate and stone that person to death. – Deut 17:2-7

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods …do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. - Deut 13:7-12

Anyone who blasphemes the name of the LORD must be put to death. The entire assembly must stone him. – Lev 24:16

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife - with the wife of his neighbor - both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death. - Leviticus 20:10

If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death. - Leviticus 20:13

If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father and mother, who does not heed them when they discipline him, then his father and his mother shall ... say to the elders of his town, ‘This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of the town shall stone him to death. - Deut 21

Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life. - Leviticus 25:44

If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a direct result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property. - Exodus Chapter 21:20

Bid slaves to be submissive to their masters and to give satisfaction in every respect; they are not to be refractory, nor to pilfer, but to show entire and true fidelity. - Titus 2:9

Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man by lying with him. But all the young girls who have not known man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves. - Numbers 31

I'm guessing you're also all good women that know her place and keeps her mouth shut in church, right?:

Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church. - 1 Corinthians 14

And:

Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent. - 1 Tim 2

Very well presented argument! :lol: I'll have to look into these.

Do they wear pretty little dressies too?
Yep. I found one. It simply had never been proved that it existed then or now.

150px-Fairychapeltoun.JPG magnify-clip.pngA resin statue of a fairyWhile many fairies will confuse travelers on the path, the will o' the wisp can be avoided by not following it. :lol: I think it's wearing tights like peter pan.

Edited by akaslickster

So this is what this thread has becoum huh? :dry: Just pople making fun of others bealfs and what thay think and know is the truth? -_- I know izzy is going to read this and not be faesed by this at all and I find that pitetyabul and the fact that he is now reanforcing the starotyp of the a**hole atheust :thanks: is just unreasunablu and qwite frankly usles. :dry: Now I know that realigion is just a means to get pople to be good, but if that's the only way than why not. Another thing I bealive the pople like izzy are just bord and so cynacl that what ever hapens to the good thay just destry it and move on to the next thing to destry. The pople u argu with belive the thing so strongly that u can not make them dout most who belive that strongly have had the dowtes befor and perserverd and so u sould stop bing an a** and just be a desiont persion ALL OF YOU. So I hope by now u whent from :mellow: to :mad: or adlest :dry: some emotion other than that could hartless thing reading this I wish for u to be a good persion not to hate and not to send ur sellf to a place that could have ben avoded (in this life or the next) and that all people of earth find them selfs happy in this life and the next so with that I leve u with this finle thing you mite not belive, I do not lie this is something i belive varry strongly.

So this is what this thread has becoum huh? :dry: Just pople making fun of others bealfs and what thay think and know is the truth? -_- I know izzy is going to read this and not be faesed by this at all and I find that pitetyabul and the fact that he is now reanforcing the starotyp of the a**hole atheust :thanks: is just unreasunablu and qwite frankly usles. :dry: Now I know that realigion is just a means to get pople to be good, but if that's the only way than why not. Another thing I bealive the pople like izzy are just bord and so cynacl that what ever hapens to the good thay just destry it and move on to the next thing to destry. The pople u argu with belive the thing so strongly that u can not make them dout most who belive that strongly have had the dowtes befor and perserverd and so u sould stop bing an a** and just be a desiont persion ALL OF YOU. So I hope by now u whent from :mellow: to :mad: or adlest :dry: some emotion other than that could hartless thing reading this I wish for u to be a good persion not to hate and not to send ur sellf to a place that could have ben avoded (in this life or the next) and that all people of earth find them selfs happy in this life and the next so with that I leve u with this finle thing you mite not belive, I do not lie this is something i belive varry strongly.

Wow, that was the most inappropriate comment left in this forum so far. You're calling some of us a**holes? What exactly is a stereotypical atheist anyway? Just because we don't feel we need to believe in a higher being does not in any way make us bad people, or cold hearted for that matter. Izzy may come on a little strong, but it's only because sometimes the people listening are trying too hard to be ignorant and naive to what we are trying to say, or are just not choosing to hear our side of the discussion alltogether.(side note: naive and ignorant are often associated with stupidity, but niether one means anything about being stupid, so please don't jump all over me for using them words, I'm not calling anyone stupid) As far as I remember niether one of us were trying to change anyone. At least I don't try to. I may try to present some facts to disprove what you are saying, but I still leave it up to you to decide. I could careless what anyone believes to be honest. I judge people by how they present themselves to me in person, not by what they believe in. I will debate with anyone about religion tho (cuz it is sooo fun), almost every conversation ends with the religious person ending the conversation by saying "it's all about faith"(cause thats the best answer they could come up with) :P . Also are you saying some of us are not decent people? How the hell would you know that by reading a few pages off of an online forum? This is online, not a roundtable discussion (I wish it were, that would be fun). I bet everyone on here is a decent person to a certain degree, but I would'nt be able to tell by what they write alone.

Well I think this thread is hanging by a thread by now. ;) I know my comment just now was off topic, but I just had to reply to that, it bothered me too much.

I'll be glad to jump back into another discussion about any other mythical creature if anyone would like to keep this thread going. I think perhaps a few that involve little religion behind them. Anyone believe in Trolls? Did you know that some people in Iceland still to this day believe that there are Trolls living in the vast lava fields in Iceland? Has anyone ever seen one? Is it true that if you are being really loud that it hurts their head so bad that they seek you out and kill you? :o

I do not understand why people always consider faeries to be female with dragonfly wings and dresses. It is impossible at this point to prove or disprove the existence of faeries. A near death experience could be explained like this. Faeries cannot change fate in such a way that one could avoid an accident entirely, but they could do something small like make your car move slower so you could see the accident and then turn in the opposite direction. Non-believers could see this as luck. Though I admit that I am clueless as to why people believe in god and angels, and are unable to grasp the concept of faeries. :dry:

but he also said "if that's the only way than why not" and he's right, despite anything else he may have said. At least religion for the most part keeps the masses happy and/or ethical without thinking too hard about it.

edit ~ discounting extremism, false beliefs, naive thinking and wasted time/hope/faith [some of the negative aspects of religion]. Despite those, it seems that most societies need some form of religion either as a moral compass or as a justifier for a leader and also as a cultural identifier. There are pluses and minuses of religion and sometimes it's hard to sort out which is which

Edited by unreality

learn how to spell before making asinine assumptions about atheists.

So this is what this thread has becoum become huh? Just pople people making fun of others bealfs beliefs and what thay think and know is the truth?

Become? Sorry kiddo, that's what this thread has been from the beginning. (Though I know you've bothered to read all 30+ pages. ;) )

-_- I know izzy Izzy is going to read this and not be faesed phased by this at all and I find that pitetyabul pitiable and the fact that he she is now reanforcing reinforcing the starotyp stereotype of the a**hole atheust atheist is just unreasunablu unreasonable and qwite quite frankly usles useless.

No, sorry, I'm not phased by creotards theists calling me names. I could easily 'humiliate' you back (which will be much more truthfully insulting than you calling me an 'a**hole'), but really, I don't see the point. You'll just go off and cry to the mods, who'll give me a little slap on the hands and possibly a suspension, and that'll be that. It's not really the consequences I'm concerned about, it's more of me stooping to the level of a five year old, embarrassing myself by doing so.

Stereotypical a**hole atheist? Is that what you guys call it whenever a non-believer says something you don't agree with? Cool stuff dude. :thumbsup: If truth and facts offend you, I'm sorry, but please realize no one has the right to not be offended, and when you are offended by something that wasn't even directed at you, well holy hell batman, don't take it personally and throw a tantrum.

Now I know that realigion religion is just a means to get pople people to be good, but if that's the only way than why not.

Since when is religion the only way to get people to behave themselves? Have you ever looked at the statistics of atheists vs. Christians in jail? I think it was something like the Christian US population being on par with the percentage of Christians in jail, (ie, if Christians made up 90% of the US, then 90% of prisoners would be Christians), but the US's population is 10% atheist, and the atheist jail population is something like .2%. Oh, and then there's the religious wars, general hatred to people of other religions, denial of truth, promotion of not wanting to understand the world, etc. Don't tell me religion makes our world better. ;)

Another thing I bealive believe the pople people like izzy Izzy are just bord bored and so cynacl cynical that what ever hapens happens to the good thay they just destry destroy it and move on to the next thing to destry. The pople people u you argu argue with belive believe the thing so strongly that u you can not make them dout doubt most who belive that strongly have had the dowtes doubts (?) befor before and perserverd preserved and so uyou sould should stop bing being an a** and just be a desiont decent persion person ALL OF YOU.

If I understood you correctly (believe me, it was *difficult*, have you ever considered typing coherently?), you think that because I'm bored and cynical (I do believe people are motivated by self-interest, but I don't do so with distrust, because yeah, that's human nature. I myself am a hedonist.), I go around the nets looking for arguments to slaughter? That's only half true. :P I've cut down massively on the amount of time I allow myself to debunk BS. Oh, and debates on a public board like this one are rarely to persuade the believer (though that would be nice). It's for the agnostics and fence-sitters. ;)

So I hope by now u you whent from :mellow: to :mad: or adlest atleast some emotion other than that could hartless thing reading this

Nope, completely as calm as I was before I read this. Though, to be fair, you did just admit your only motive in writing this was to piss me off. Well done, that's not very nice, and you've failed. :P Oh, and I have no idea what the hell 'hartless' is meant to mean.

I wish for u you to be a good persion person not to hate and not to send ur sellf to a place that could have ben been avoded avoided (in this life or the next) and that all people of earth find them selfs themselves happy in this life and the next so with that I leve leave u you with this finle final thing you mite might not belive believe, I do not lie this is something iI belive believe varry very strongly.

D'aww, so you just have my best interest in heart? Will you please pray for me and sacrifice a goat too?

Dude, I don't really care what you believe. You're entitled to accept whatever foolishness you want. Stop worrying about my soul, and get on with your life. ;)

Oh, and please be articulate in your next post, that drove me insane!

*edit* Had to go back and correct yet more of your words. I didn't bother to do punctuation or form your sentences into proper ones (not run-ons!) because that would take ages. You do realize you're presenting yourself through the way you type, right?

Edited by Izzy

Become? Sorry kiddo, that's what this thread has been from the beginning. (Though I know you've bothered to read all 30+ pages. ;) )

No, sorry, I'm not phased by creotards theists calling me names. I could easily 'humiliate' you back (which will be much more truthfully insulting than you calling me an 'a**hole'), but really, I don't see the point. You'll just go off and cry to the mods, who'll give me a little slap on the hands and possibly a suspension, and that'll be that. It's not really the consequences I'm concerned about, it's more of me stooping to the level of a five year old, embarrassing myself by doing so.

Stereotypical a**hole atheist? Is that what you guys call it whenever a non-believer says something you don't agree with? Cool stuff dude. :thumbsup: If truth and facts offend you, I'm sorry, but please realize no one has the right to not be offended, and when you are offended by something that wasn't even directed at you, well holy hell batman, don't take it personally and throw a tantrum.

Since when is religion the only way to get people to behave themselves? Have you ever looked at the statistics of atheists vs. Christians in jail? I think it was something like the Christian US population being on par with the percentage of Christians in jail, (ie, if Christians made up 90% of the US, then 90% of prisoners would be Christians), but the US's population is 10% atheist, and the atheist jail population is something like .2%. Oh, and then there's the religious wars, general hatred to people of other religions, denial of truth, promotion of not wanting to understand the world, etc. Don't tell me religion makes our world better. ;)

If I understood you correctly (believe me, it was *difficult*, have you ever considered typing coherently?), you think that because I'm bored and cynical (I do believe people are motivated by self-interest, but I don't do so with distrust, because yeah, that's human nature. I myself am a hedonist.), I go around the nets looking for arguments to slaughter? That's only half true. :P I've cut down massively on the amount of time I allow myself to debunk BS. Oh, and debates on a public board like this one are rarely to persuade the believer (though that would be nice). It's for the agnostics and fence-sitters. ;)

Nope, completely as calm as I was before I read this. Though, to be fair, you did just admit your only motive in writing this was to piss me off. Well done, that's not very nice, and you've failed. :P Oh, and I have no idea what the hell 'hartless' is meant to mean.

D'aww, so you just have my best interest in heart? Will you please pray for me and sacrifice a goat too?

Dude, I don't really care what you believe. You're entitled to accept whatever foolishness you want. Stop worrying about my soul, and get on with your life. ;)

Oh, and please be articulate in your next post, that drove me insane!

*edit* Had to go back and correct yet more of your words. I didn't bother to do punctuation or form your sentences into proper ones (not run-ons!) because that would take ages. You do realize you're presenting yourself through the way you type, right?

:thanks:

to the man that loves the atlanta Olympics mascot?

yahe i loove thas sh**t its the most fun you can have with pants on

or without a fork

Anywho have you ever heard that if your really secure you'll react with calm indifference. i really didnt explain that well.

Say i call a random friend of mine a racist?

now if he blows up at me and gets really pissed saying im not a racist im a good person i love black people (yada yada yada)

now chances are hes either racist or not to sure that hes not.

the calm response is to joke about it or be like stephen colbert and pull out your picture of your black friend.

but on to other things. I dont know y you have to make fun of others and put people down when you obviously dont know much about these things (i have retarded friends too you want to make fun of them for not thinking like u do( i just realized one of them even is religious oh my friend you have hit the jack pot on this one)). ill stop there with the indirect insults. you read my post and took what you hated and tried to mash it (u succeeded in some spots but hey even storm troopers hit broad sides of barns(get it now im making fun of u for liking the new star wars movies(yes this is a parenthesis in a parenthesis point this out as bad grammar))) Mostly though you took something sarcastic or nice and general and tried to twist it to your own device(or your mind so prejudice toward religion that as soon as someone shows there religion you assume there below you and can't even understand them. (please now use the come back your right and prove to me that your in high school)

now on and on

"My emphasis. You think being a homosexual stoning, woman oppressing, genocidal racist makes a you good person? Or, if there are "good atheists", a better person? You're insane. Anyone who actually lives by the Bible, the literal interpretation with every line followed, is by all moral standards, a TERRIBLE person. "

wow ok.

So whens the last time you heard of a homosexual stoning in America(i swear my freind was the one throwing the rocks... ) anyway the bible has many prejudices of the time. You cant avoid it. But if i remember my bible all the passages u used are from the old testament. by that logic if you great great great great grandfather owned slaves and you dont disagree with everything he ever thought and openly hate him then your a racist (this is an exageration in case you don't realize this, ill try to dumb it down from now on). There is alot of good love thy neighbor stuff in the old testament. and anyway if someone literally interprets the bible that means they dont believe in evolution, not anything ur saying. The old God is completely different then the new God of the bible. Same with the texts to judge the whole book by a few passages your mom found is insane.

additon- religion is used as a justification for preexisting feelings of white supremecy (the gay thing is a lil different) religion doesnt cause it. Also these people are like the 911 jackers few and far between. Also do you know that those men were recruited because al queda pays more then anyone else can reasonably make there. anyway

next

"ut at the same side i know plenty of people that believe in nothing and ive felt they do it out of insecurity.

Not even close. Though personally, I would never trust the feeling off a theist, anyway. Perhaps you should ignore your own? Moving on. No, I don't believe in God/mythical creatures because there IS NO EVIDENCE FOR THEIR EXISTENCE. Really, this should all be a brain exercise. Remember when you got over Santa? Do the same thing with your god. Really, there's a lot more evidence for Santa than God. Flaws with both. "

you know all atheist thats impressive, so could you tell john i wont make it to dinner next weekend, i have a homosexual woman to stone (i hope shes black too).

next (im doing this because i dont know how to do the quote thing so this will split it up)

""Surely, if something is a miracle, ie, something that is surprising and not explicable by natural or scientific law and must therefore be the result of divine intervention, and that something is explained by scientists, then it isn't a miracle? This is classic fallacious thinking. "I don't know how this happened, so Gawd must have done it."

ok when i say the old miracles i mean the miracles of old. Things that were considered miracles this is an example of you either not understanding or vastly overestimating your supremacy (hey if your white that combines to being bad)

next

"QUOTE

They dont realize that the fact the something used to prove god has been disproven (or close to it) does not mean god is false.

We do realize that. I've said it myself on this board before. Absence of proof isn't proof of absence, but it's certainly evidence for it. Search through some of the older threads. All this has been covered..""

you are wrong disproving proof is not evidence of anything. thats what the horrible exaggerating analogy was meant to exaggerate

next

"No, we don't know, but we still have all these arbitrary details in our lives that need to be assigned names. We're able to see different colors, and henceforth assign those colors different names. It doesn't matter what the color is called, the point is that you can differentiate that color from a different color, and communicate with other people about that color. For example, if I take two non-color blind babies, that see colors differently, and show them the same piece of paper, and raise them to think the color of that paper is 'blue' (assuming most people actually see the paper as blue), and one sees green and the other orange, it won't matter, because they'll still call it blue. How do you know whether or not you're seeing colors the way other people do? It doesn't matter, because you call them the same thing. It's the same thing with taste. As long as we recognize different tastes, it doesn't matter what we call them or if they taste the same to everyone. "

alot of this is what i said just repeated as if its ur original thought

next

im going to stop pasting you thoughts in

i told u i believe in evolution (it is a theory as much as math theorem are theorem impossible to prove but very probable) but the analogy fits. im not going to restate it just reread it untill you understand it (ill come back in a couple weeks when your ready to responde (not misspelled its french for respond.)

next

"(i talk of god because he is who i was taught i mean any higher being)

Uh-huh... Which one, and why is that god the right one? "

the point of that is obviously saying i talk of any god so i dont know if it is mine. If i did i would be saying **** your gods im talking about mine. (eventhough to be fair at some times my observations are limited to "my" god but its obvious when this is true.)

in closing notice im not making fun of you for being an atheist (tho i do hate u for it) im making fun of you for being close minded. Now im not saying your ignorant (tho i did say that above sorry) im just saying you refuse to accept others who have different thought or aspects of there lives. Im fine with you thinking as you do, just not yelling and making fun of people for it. to be honest that really is no better then slamming gay people. think about it, making fun of or bashing someone for thinking or being different eventhough they are doing nothing to harm you.

also i am sorry if any of my jokes were inappropriate or ill humored or ....i could go on forever

this has been a weekly installment of im a religious person on an intellectual forum

by the way i love doing this and irregardlessly(i just used irregaurdless) i want to make some obvious guesses

you are between 16 and 25, white, middle class, um lets see male, AP or advanced classes but not science or atleast you dont do too great in it, lets see pride yourself on having alot of black freinds (this is a pretty racist way to think), obviously democrat or libertarian (and use bush in order to win any argument about this)... thats all i got for now sorry i love stereotyping in situations like this

its like im a fortune teller (miss cleo aint got nothing on me)

Edited by final

past edit time

also i want to add that people keep saying that the culture has prejudiced itself against religion so much now that it is ok to make fun of and ridicule religion. (i dont know if i saw it on this page, but i hear it alot)

well it has, but the fact is its been ok to make fun of atheist and ridicule them for centuries.

so deal with it

also i saw earlier the stereotypical atheist. and someone said what is that.

well its not the stereotypical atheist. there are plenty that are good people

its the stereotypical ***h*le atheist the one that feels superior and has to prove it to anyone. The people that have there own soap box and crusades. (my soap box is in the shower i was looking for it this whole time and just thought of where it is. just how life is as soon as you dont need something anymore you find it)

its the same with liberals (for reference i am one shocking isnt it)

(as an addition i didnt admit i was a liberal for a while in reall life because i was ashamed of it because of the liberals i knew at the time. since going to college tho i have found the good people liberals)

as my third and final (thats my name) add I am guilty of this tyranical knowledge of being right also. I used to make fun of ********. and ********* (those were religions) and others. untill i just realized faith is faith. some are outlandish. some are outlandish but accepted because they have been around for centuries but who is to say any of them are wrong. You can not prove them wrong any more then i can prove they are right. also u said religion was about security(it is to some), but U think i believe in something just to feel secure knowing that this life is mostly a test to prove myself and i have failed miserabley. Im not comforted at all.

to close

“In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously than the practitioners.”

Edited by final