BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

...this is a branch off of CuteSparklezGirl's 'Is there a spiritual world?' topic...please feel free 2 tell your experiences and thoughts...no teasing or arguing please...

• Answers 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

...what's an 'orcarina'?...

I am not surprised. not because i think you're stupid or any thing it cuz i spelt orcarina wrong it's spelt "ocarina" :duh: i feel dumb after that lol

I'm sorry, but last time I checked, hallucinating, whether from drugs or just because her brain works that way is a bad thing. :huh:

Actually, when you get into the world of atheism, group ethics tend to disappear. Every moral attribute becomes a two-edged sword. For instance in this case, you could consider it a good thing if the "illusion" tells the person to do good things, and it makes them happy. When you ditch your Quran, Bible, or what-have-you-may, the ultimate good is happiness. A thing is good if it makes more people happy than it does unhappy. If the fairies tell you to start shooting random students, then take your own life, it's a different story, because most people that age don't want to die.

Hmmm... haven't checked on BD in a while. This discussion has really changed. Okay. Bigfoot may have existed but I doubt it. Faeries are in the eye of the beholder. It totally depends on your point of veiw.

Actually, when you get into the world of atheism, group ethics tend to disappear. Every moral attribute becomes a two-edged sword. For instance in this case, you could consider it a good thing if the "illusion" tells the person to do good things, and it makes them happy. When you ditch your Quran, Bible, or what-have-you-may, the ultimate good is happiness. A thing is good if it makes more people happy than it does unhappy. If the fairies tell you to start shooting random students, then take your own life, it's a different story, because most people that age don't want to die.

Not at all. It's still a delusion, which should be cured, as no one knows how long until a 'good trip' turns into a bad one.

Not at all. It's still a delusion, which should be cured, as no one knows how long until a 'good trip' turns into a bad one.

It actually depends on the person, if I hallucinated, I wouldn't exactly do everything that the fairies told me.

The thing is, as long as the "creature" part of the personality is not dominant, and the individual retains their will, it doesn't matter. Take Christianity for example. To you this is of course a delusion. The follower constantly feels the all seeing eye of God watching over their shoulder, seeing every little mistake that they make. Yet are they compelled to do every thing "God" says? Well because of the existence of Christian murderers, theives, & lawyers, I guess not.

For most people, God is just a thing they think is there, as in, they have no visual or auditory experiences with him. It's kind of like me thinking my mom is watching what I do online while she's really just walking by. (Except my mom exists, of course.) Most Christians have grown up thinking their god is always over their shoulder, so I guess this somewhat makes sense. The second people start claiming to hear/see God, they've got a problem. Random hallucinations are bad for you. Drug ones are too, but at least those happen for a known reason.

For most people, God is just a thing they think is there, as in, they have no visual or auditory experiences with him. It's kind of like me thinking my mom is watching what I do online while she's really just walking by. (Except my mom exists, of course.) Most Christians have grown up thinking their god is always over their shoulder, so I guess this somewhat makes sense. The second people start claiming to hear/see God, they've got a problem. Random hallucinations are bad for you. Drug ones are too, but at least those happen for a known reason.

The real question is, why are the bad for you?

The real question is, why are the bad for you?

Because they're unreal abstractions of reality. If you want to live life to the fullest, then by all meanings do it, but don't rely on a fake reality to make yourself happy. It's alright to have psychedelic experiences if they're self-inflicted (to an extent..), but just hallucinating all the time will totally mess you up. Totally makes people look at you weird, too. As seen in this thread.

It's alright to have psychedelic experiences if they're self-inflicted (to an extent..), but just hallucinating all the time will totally mess you up. Totally makes people look at you weird, too. As seen in this thread.

I REJECT THAT STATEMENT. having something wrong with your brain that causes hallucinations or any other problem for that matter does not make you weird it makes you interesting i have a friend who has a split personality and i love having conversations with him because the topics change so quickly because each personality has different interests it's like a game of Pit or some other fast paced game

now about the conversation somewhat :offtopic:

Because they're unreal abstractions of reality. If you want to live life to the fullest, then by all meanings do it, but don't rely on a fake reality to make yourself happy. It's alright to have psychedelic experiences if they're self-inflicted (to an extent..), but just hallucinating all the time will totally mess you up. Totally makes people look at you weird, too. As seen in this thread.

Still doesn't answer my question, HOW will it totally mess you up.

Btw, should we continue this in another thread?

What about daydreaming Iz? What about dreams? You can't just shut down your imagination?

Those people that believe in God or ghosts or mythical creatures make the living easier for themselves. They have a need to believe in those things same as a child has a need to believe in Santa, have imaginary friends or play cowboys and Indians.

I don't think that there's anything wrong about that.

Especially people that believe in God, they do so cause they need to achieve some sense of justice (I don't think that I have expressed myself the right way) meaning when injustice happens to them and they can't do anything about it, they have faith that those people that did them wrong will be punished in afterlife. It doesn't really matter if that's true but it makes life easier for them. And this is just one example, I'm not saying that this is the only reason why people believe in God.

...just because YOU cannot see it does not mean that it does not exist...I have seen faries, elves, nymphs and ghosts since I was a little gurl...call them hallucinations or my imagination if you want...I know that they really exist...and I am NOT crazy...I have seen them and they have saved my life a time or two...I also have a few friends that have seen and spoken to them as well...if you are just going to sit there and call me crazy then I am going to stop posting on this topic...I do not have to sit here and take this...

...just because YOU cannot see it does not mean that it does not exist...I have seen faries, elves, nymphs and ghosts since I was a little gurl...call them hallucinations or my imagination if you want...I know that they really exist...and I am NOT crazy...I have seen them and they have saved my life a time or two...I also have a few friends that have seen and spoken to them as well...if you are just going to sit there and call me crazy then I am going to stop posting on this topic...I do not have to sit here and take this...

No, we're not exactly saying your crazy. Sorry if it came out that way :(. We're just having a debate about if you were delusional, Would it be a bad thing?

Edit: We would appreciate it if you contributed to this thread, though, after all, you are the expert. Describe your experiences and what your friends are like. I believe that was the original purpose.

Edited by Romulus064

...I have been teased all my life for believing in 'mythical' creatures...so it is hard for me to sit back and take it...even as a small child I was told to "leave my 'imaginary' friends and grow-up"...I wish you could all meet Phynix[my fire fairy] and Fawn[my daughter's earth fairy]...I also wish I could take you all back to the first house I lived in where we had elves and wood nymphs living in our back yard[they tore down the house and the woods and built an apartment complex]...but all I can do is hope that at least one of you opens your heart and truly believes so you can see some 'creatures' of your own...and yes I am serious about everything I write on ths topic...these are my beliefs the same as any of you have beliefs in your religions...

I aven't been much of a part to this, but I don't recall anyone ever calling you crazy. Name-calling is childish and I think everyone here is above such prepubescent banter. Though, I do believe your endless endeavors to prove the existence of mystical creatures" have failed. Let's assume they haven't suffered from an intellectual atrophy, just let them live their ignorant lives. Why must you non-believers persistently torment our beliefs? Why? I shan't accept your ludicrous statements of false idols and fairies. NEVER.

Edited by Zerep

Hm... this has nothing to do with craziness and delusions, but I was thinking (and I don't know where to put this and since this topic is active and is about mythical creatures I decided to put this here).

My question is - what is wrong with this picture??

adam_280x390_459191a.jpg

Both Adam and Eve have navels??

:huh:

If God created them they shouldn't have navels, right?

Navels indicate that they were born. And it's not just this picture, but all the pictures that I have seen show Adam and Eve with a navel!

Thoughts?

They clearly were birthed from God's womb, no where does it say, that he wasn't a hermaphrodite, maybe there was some explicit scenes of how god really made men and woman. I'm assuming they didn't want young minds to be reading it, and altered the contents. *gasp* Oh no, I've reduced the bible to a smutty magazine. D:

But it is a possibility.

Hm... this has nothing to do with craziness and delusions, but I was thinking (and I don't know where to put this and since this topic is active and is about mythical creatures I decided to put this here).

adam_280x390_459191a.jpg

Navels indicate that they were born. And it's not just this picture, but all the pictures that I have seen show Adam and Eve with a navel!

Thoughts?

...if they did not have navals people would think THAT was weird...

...no one said 'crazy'...but 'hallucinations' were mentioned...as were 'mental' problems[i do have OCD but that doesn't play any part in this]...

You come off as completely sane to me. And as for drug caused hallucinations, your kind of character doesn't seem the type to go off committing long-term suicides as result from drugs. (Don't take that the wrong way. I can see where my statement might be interpreted differently.)

adam_280x390_459191a.jpg

Thoughts?

Most of the paintings from this era were done by models, it was most likely a professional for sight, plus the fact that it never occurred to anyone that they wouldn't.

adam_280x390_459191a.jpg

Thoughts?

I doubt that the people who drew this picture were present to see adam and eve while they were alive (if they were alive, to avoid that subject)

...if they did not have navals people would think THAT was weird...

Well I think that this is weird since they weren't born... and wouldn't pictures of Adam and Eve without their navels prove even further that they were made by God, you know like an additional proof.

People would look at that painting and think "Oh yeah, they don't even have navels, how clever of the artist who painted them to leave their navels out since they clearly shouldn't have them!"

So you are saying that you should give people what the think that they should see and tell them what they should hear and not the truth because the truth is weird?? :huh:

Edited by andromeda

Still doesn't answer my question, HOW will it totally mess you up.

Btw, should we continue this in another thread?

Bah, I don't know how to explain this scientifically. Okay, so using Atlantis as an example, here goes nothing. Atlantis's mind, since being a young child, has been susceptible to 'imaginary friends', and eventually she believed in them so much, that they never went away. They became axioms, and as she grew older, she kept building on them. The creatures in her mind exist to her to this day, because her mind has been fooling itself for so long. She lives in a delusional world, and though fairies aren't the worst case, she *could* be a harm to herself, or those around her. For example, imagine she's driving her car, but the magical fairy princess is in the middle of the road. Swerving to avoid her, she crashes into a semi-truck, the consequences of that being whatever real-life provides, death and hospitalization definitely among these. Now, a non-hallucinating person would have continued driving normally, death and crashes avoided. I get the feeling your only playing devil's advocate though. I don't see who would fail to realize how dangerous hallucinations can be.

I don't care whether we continue in this thread or another. Mods can split it if they feel it's necessary.

I REJECT THAT STATEMENT. having something wrong with your brain that causes hallucinations or any other problem for that matter does not make you weird it makes you interesting i have a friend who has a split personality and i love having conversations with him because the topics change so quickly because each personality has different interests it's like a game of Pit or some other fast paced game

Fair enough, but just because something is interesting doesn't make it alright.

What about daydreaming Iz? What about dreams? You can't just shut down your imagination?

Those people that believe in God or ghosts or mythical creatures make the living easier for themselves. They have a need to believe in those things same as a child has a need to believe in Santa, have imaginary friends or play cowboys and Indians.

I don't think that there's anything wrong about that.

Especially people that believe in God, they do so cause they need to achieve some sense of justice (I don't think that I have expressed myself the right way) meaning when injustice happens to them and they can't do anything about it, they have faith that those people that did them wrong will be punished in afterlife. It doesn't really matter if that's true but it makes life easier for them. And this is just one example, I'm not saying that this is the only reason why people believe in God.

Okay, dreams. We all realize dreams aren't reality, right? I'm perfectly fine with dreams of any sort, but the second you confuse your dreams and imagination with reality, you've gone too far. I'm sorry, but it's true. I know Atlantis can't just shut off her imagination, I see that from this thread, but she can still get help.

I don't see why people (especially adults) can't just be happy with their lives, and live without having imaginary things there to make them think it's better than it actually is. Hell, I'm fecking nihilist and am perfectly content with my life. Praying to an imaginary God or writing a list to Santa won't get you anything from either one. (Let's not get too technical with Santa btw. I'm referring to the current big fat red jolly guy, not St. Nicholas.)

I think there is plenty wrong with that. People should get over the 'sadness' of their unimportant existence and just live. It's pretty arrogant of us to think we're so important anyway.

Again, people need to get over themselves and understand real-life. Sh*t happens, you'll get over it. Go good to do good, not for Gawd.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just jealous that people can have such a care-free simple life. "Oh, you did this to me, but that's alright 'cos you'll burn in hell." ..It doesn't work like that. I don't care what makes you happy, stick to reality. I don't care if you're scared of death, get the hell over it. Live while you're here, die like you lived. Or something like that.

Atlantis, yes, your beliefs reflect other people's religions completely. They make you happy, they serve a purpose, and they're totally ridiculous.