BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

...this is a branch off of CuteSparklezGirl's 'Is there a spiritual world?' topic...please feel free 2 tell your experiences and thoughts...no teasing or arguing please...

• Answers 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

hey i just started reading this topic so plz don't shut it down

Fair enough. Personally, I don't want this topic shut down either. For entirely different reasons of course.

anyway do ghosts count as mythical beings? if they do i'm sorta on the border line of beliveing i've seen them in the form of balls of light but i'm not sure if it was true or just my paranoia

mythical: without foundation in fact; imaginary; fictitious

Ghosts fit that criteria, so yes, ghosts count as mythical beings.

Do you ever see red dots when you're tired? Hallucinations by no means warrant the existence of imaginary beings. Don't let your mind play tricks on you/

also some of the dreams i dream come true and i get de ja vu alot

personally i love myths if i get into collage i plan to make mythology my major maybe get a teaching degree in it

I'm willing to wager anything that the amount of your dreams that don't come true utterly outnumber the ones you've had that you think have come true. Also, if I recall correctly, déjà vu is just a little brain spasm, where you record an event twice rather than once, making yourself think you've done it before.

Go for it, mythology rocks. Just don't confuse stories with reality.

i think this entire subject is intersting (gets on knees) plz i beg of you don't shut down this thread i want to believe i really do i want to see dragons, talk with fairies, maybe hear ghost's stories and help them finish what they never did (if that's allowed)

Okay, what? You want to believe in something you probably already think is fake? ... No comment, I enjoy my membership here.

:huh: ... :duh: ... :unsure: ... :o ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

/spam

Sorry, I couldn't control myself..

Just because someone came to a different conclusion than you doesn't mean either that they lack common sense, or even that they are wrong.

Remember: A mind is like a parachute, no good unless open.

My apologies. Apparently sarcasm is hard to pick up over the internet. I just think it's hilarious that people, specifically believers in things like this, constantly claim how 'open minded' they are, and how they like to use 'common sense'. ...Common sense would involve taking evidence seriously. Form the conclusion of this post for yourself.

My apologies. Apparently sarcasm is hard to pick up over the internet. I just think it's hilarious that people, specifically believers in things like this, constantly claim how 'open minded' they are, and how they like to use 'common sense'. ...Common sense would involve taking evidence seriously. Form the conclusion of this post for yourself.

Yeah. NP. I was being sarcastic as well!!! (sorry, I should have made it more obvious) And yeah. I got rid of faries when I got rid of god. :)

The fact of the matter is that there is no evidence. That leads some to decide that something is not present, and others to decide that it might be. The more open minded approach is to assume that it might be. Of course, this means that you'll be accepting as possible some fairly ridiculous statements, but things that have been considered ridiculous in the past have been proven true. I am not saying that every ridiculous statement will be proven true, or even that any of them will, but laughing at someone for thinking "the world is round" landed a few people mention throughout history as being rather foolish. In that case, it was a failing of our technology that kept us from obtaining any evidence to support this theory. Who is to say that the same is not true today?

Edit: I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, in case it needed clarification.

Edited by SomeGuy

Yeah. NP. I was being sarcastic as well!!! (sorry, I should have made it more obvious) And yeah. I got rid of faries when I got rid of god. :)

Ah, I blame the internet.

Fair enough. Though, I don't see why if you were certain you saw/heard/whatever them in the first place..

SG, I think there's a point to ridiculousness when certain claims can just be dismissed. The human imagination is a fantastic thing, and as social creatures that strive for a life of contentment, God, Allah, Mohammad, magical fairies, tree spirits, etc. are all imagined to comfort someone in some sort of way. Magic Luver and CSG were saying this pages ago: Belief makes them happy. I think, that for the amount of time these silly claims were going on, at least 2009 years on the Christian scale, there should be some sort of compelling evidence to suggest something is there. There has been none. None.

I think this guy I know sums it up quite nicely in his response to the Deen show on YouTube. "Ultimately, there's no convincing argument for God, because there's no means of distinguishing your god from an imaginary one. And the best explanation for that is that he's imaginary. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. If you think you can prove differently, then by all means do it, but if you're just going to rely on misrepresentation and "Ooh, I find this difficult to understand, therefore it might be God!", don't bother."

Edited by Izzy

Hmm... This topic doesn't appear to be fulfilling it's original purpose.

Right now I feel like I just entered the Dome of the Rock, and the curators are telling me what's wrong with Islam.

Fair enough. Personally, I don't want this topic shut down either. For entirely different reasons of course.

mythical: without foundation in fact; imaginary; fictitious

Ghosts fit that criteria, so yes, ghosts count as mythical beings.

Do you ever see red dots when you're tired? Hallucinations by no means warrant the existence of imaginary beings. Don't let your mind play tricks on you/

it could be ball lightning - fascinating stuff :)

I'm willing to wager anything that the amount of your dreams that don't come true utterly outnumber the ones you've had that you think have come true. Also, if I recall correctly, déjà vu is just a little brain spasm, where you record an event twice rather than once, making yourself think you've done it before.

Go for it, mythology rocks. Just don't confuse stories with reality.

Clearly déjà vu is when the Agents alter the Matrix ;D

SG, I think there's a point to ridiculousness when certain claims can just be dismissed. The human imagination is a fantastic thing, and as social creatures that strive for a life of contentment, God, Allah, Mohammad, magical fairies, tree spirits, etc. are all imagined to comfort someone in some sort of way. Magic Luver and CSG were saying this pages ago: Belief makes them happy. I think, that for the amount of time these silly claims were going on, at least 2009 years on the Christian scale, there should be some sort of compelling evidence to suggest something is there. There has been none. None.

I think this guy I know sums it up quite nicely in his response to the Deen show on YouTube. "Ultimately, there's no convincing argument for God, because there's no means of distinguishing your god from an imaginary one. And the best explanation for that is that he's imaginary. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. If you think you can prove differently, then by all means do it, but if you're just going to rely on misrepresentation and "Ooh, I find this difficult to understand, therefore it might be God!", don't bother."

personally, one of my strongest convictions of disbelief in current religions is that I can't find any compelling reason why one religion is better than another. If SomeGuy were born in Indonesia, he would probably be Muslim. Anyway, this leads to two separate conclusions: all religions are right in a way, or all religions are mostly wrong. My own philosophy sort of resides in both of these conclusions.

How come that every thread ends up us discussing religion?? :lol:

Just for the record, there's nothing wrong with Islam, but with people misinterpreting it and pulling sentences out of context (I'm talking about Qur'an)! :) I'm proud to have Muslim friends! :D

EDIT: I probably have some Muslim ancestors, cause Serbia, well the entire Balkan peninsula was under the Turkish empire for 500 years, and I think that my grandmother's (from my dads side) ancestors converted to Christianity (when, I have no idea, the genealogy records were probably lost during the civil war), but I definitely... well all of us living here in the region probably have Muslim blood running through our veins :)

Edited by andromeda

Anyway, this leads to two separate conclusions: all religions are right in a way, or all religions are mostly wrong. My own philosophy sort of resides in both of these conclusions.

i have something of a split personality one side rational the one that solves the riddles and this one, me, agrees with UR cuz i think in my messed up twisted little mind that all the gods of every religion is up in mount Olympus directing the followers of each of there respective reloigions and rarely giveing advice to other gods :D

too many pages to read thru so if you already discused Big Foot please tell me what page.
Well you got that right. No one wants to read through spam. I could hardly find my post.

So far there have'nt been any replies to this >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> post #67

Edited by akaslickster