BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Pickett

Question

Don't bother Googling it :D What are the next few numbers?

99, 99, 99, 99, 97, 2, 97, 2...

If you need a hint...

Was it Eliot's toilet I saw?

In this case, it appears not...But it makes no difference either way...What matters is Cheryl seems really messed up right now...

Edited by Pickett

21 answers to this question

Hey Nazaria,

How did you come up with 0,0,0,0?

I just thought 99,99,99,99,97,2,97,2,99,99,99,99 at first because 99-97 is 2 and 97 is 99 so i thought ok the next numbers were 99,99,99,99. I also thought something like 95,4,95,4 but there is a gap and the zeros filled that gap. So my whole pattern would be 99,99,99,99,97,2,97,2,0,0,0,0,95,4,95,4. Honestly I am not quite sure how I came up with that.

I just thought 99,99,99,99,97,2,97,2,99,99,99,99 at first because 99-97 is 2 and 97 is 99 so i thought ok the next numbers were 99,99,99,99. I also thought something like 95,4,95,4 but there is a gap and the zeros filled that gap. So my whole pattern would be 99,99,99,99,97,2,97,2,0,0,0,0,95,4,95,4. Honestly I am not quite sure how I came up with that.

OH OK..I got lost in your explanation...I thought of the first explanation as well.. I am still working on figuring this out.

Spoiler confusion

"Eliot" is a famous palindrome.

What is Cheryl?

They said it wasn't a palindrome, or is it because "it makes no difference either way" but the Cheryl thing has me thinking as well.

OH OK..I got lost in your explanation...I thought of the first explanation as well.. I am still working on figuring this out.

Try being me once, I get lost in my mind and explanations all the time.

They said it wasn't a palindrome, or is it because "it makes no difference either way" but the Cheryl thing has me thinking as well.

0, 0, 0, 0 is in fact incorrect...

The clue is very helpful...if you can decipher it :c) some of you are slowly on the right track...I won't say any thing else for a little bit to see what people come up with...

(and i'm a "he" not "they") :D

I would love to hear your explanation...but no, that's not what I came up with...

I can guess your explanation is that the numbers repeat like ABAB, but after one repeat, the "A"s move down 2 and the "B"s move up 2...but that isn't correct...i can put the next few numbers up (which would show that isn't the case)...but like I said, I'll leave it for a bit to see what else people come up with.

P.S. please use spoilers

Edited by Pickett

I just seemed to make sense at the time. I didn't look at your clue before posting and

just entered what seemed to logically follow.

I would love to hear your explanation...but no, that's not what I came up with...

Don't bother Googling it :D What are the next few numbers?

99, 99, 99, 99, 97, 2, 97, 2...

If you need a hint...

Was it Eliot's toilet I saw?

In this case, it appears not...But it makes no difference either way...What matters is Cheryl seems really messed up right now...

does this have anything to do with lychrel numbers?

does this sequence ever end, or is it infinite?

hmmmm...I suppose it probably would continue infinitely (I know it goes quite a bit further), but I have no way of proving that...my hint still has some other key points...the Cheryl part has been figured out....

hmmmm...I suppose it probably would continue infinitely (I know it goes quite a bit further), but I have no way of proving that...my hint still has some other key points...the Cheryl part has been figured out....

gotcha. i thought i might have had relatively short answer (definitely not "quite a bit further" at least), but apparently not....i will get this! :)

Yes! Well done!

Was it Eliot's toilet I saw? - This is a palindrome. So that was a hint that the answer had something to do with palindromes. Almost every number can be used to get a palindrome by taking the digits in the number, reversing them, and adding them together...then repeating multiple times (sometimes 20+ times)...

Example: 59 ==> 59 + 95 = 154, 154 + 451 = 605, 605 + 506 = 1111 <== PALINDROME!

In this case, it appears not... - There are a few numbers, however, that appear to NEVER end in a palindrome (people have gone out millions of iterations to 300+ million digit numbers, and never found a palindrome)...these numbers are: 196, 295, 394, 493, 592, 689, 691, 788, 790, 879, 887...etc...etc...

But it makes no difference either way... - Take the difference between these numbers, and you have my sequence...

What matters is Cheryl seems really messed up right now... - This was a big hint towards these numbers...The sequence of numbers that don't end in a palindrome are called Lychrel numbers. It is an anagram of the name of the wife, Cheryl, of the guy who came up with the sequence. So "Cheryl messed up" ==> Lychrel.

Yes! Well done!

Was it Eliot's toilet I saw? - This is a palindrome. So that was a hint that the answer had something to do with palindromes. Almost every number can be used to get a palindrome by taking the digits in the number, reversing them, and adding them together...then repeating multiple times (sometimes 20+ times)...

Example: 59 ==> 59 + 95 = 154, 154 + 451 = 605, 605 + 506 = 1111 <== PALINDROME!

In this case, it appears not... - There are a few numbers, however, that appear to NEVER end in a palindrome (people have gone out millions of iterations to 300+ million digit numbers, and never found a palindrome)...these numbers are: 196, 295, 394, 493, 592, 689, 691, 788, 790, 879, 887...etc...etc...

But it makes no difference either way... - Take the difference between these numbers, and you have my sequence...

What matters is Cheryl seems really messed up right now... - This was a big hint towards these numbers...The sequence of numbers that don't end in a palindrome are called Lychrel numbers. It is an anagram of the name of the wife, Cheryl, of the guy who came up with the sequence. So "Cheryl messed up" ==> Lychrel.

just a quick question, who first thought of the fact that most numbers will not be Lychrel numbers and how do they know 196 is a Lychrel number, couldn't it become a palindrome sometime in the future?

just a quick question, who first thought of the fact that most numbers will not be Lychrel numbers and how do they know 196 is a Lychrel number, couldn't it become a palindrome sometime in the future?

It is true that technically speaking there are no PROVEN Lychrel numbers. There have been no mathematical proofs saying that all numbers will become palindromes, and none that say certain ones never will...

HOWEVER...Some people have spent a LOT of money working on these numbers (especially 196)...they have gone through millions of iterations and taken the number out to over 300 million digits and still no palindrome. And when you stop to think about it probabilistically, the larger the number becomes the less likely it will ever become a palindrome. There are plenty of websites out there that are "devoted" to Lychrel numbers and the search for palindromes...so, you could just do a search for Lychrel 196 or something and find these sites.

I don't know who thought of this whole process...but Wade VanLandingham came up with the Lychrel numbers (or at least the name for them)...

I wrote a simple program to determine which numbers become palindromes...and so, that's probably how someone figured out that most of them were NOT Lychrel numbers.

Hope this provides some insight.