BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

hello one and all!

The Setting:

O.K., the year is...well 2009, and there is an old fashioned dinner party (like the one in the movie Clue based on the game) where nothing "new age" is allowed into the party at Thatcher Manor. There are 6 guests at the party with 3 servants (including the cook) and a host by the name of Thadeus. the names of the people at the party are as follows:

The Residence:

Thadeus - the host of the party with a taste for 20's themed parties

Sofie - the rather beautifle maid-servant to the head of the houshold of the manor

Jeeves - the butler for the manor, think's his name is a bit cliche for his occupation

The Guests:

Detective Spencer - the greatly known detective of English decent with the abilty to solve any case, though for this one he might need the aid of you, yes YOU.

Fredward Desmund - the novelist whose books end up killing their occupants (the characters) and leaves the reader to figure out the murderer, like in Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None

Claire Savanah - the former heiress to a multi-million $ company that supports the causes (i.e. charity events) of the Thatcher Manor and has now inherited the company and was always rather supercilious.

Naomi Spencer - the lucky winner in a contest irrelevant to what must be solved. She is shy at a 5'8" (english system) but is rather talkative if the occasion hits her.

Augustice "Gus" Maylor - the representative of the PTP organization (preserve the past). he is usually quite polite until someone derides him about his love for antiques and or when someone belittles a priceless artifact. he is there on account that he recieved an invite and that the house is filled with priceless artifacts from the early century and beyond that.

The Plot:

Dinner has been served. Thadeus and the guests have retired to the lounge when the doorbell is heard. Of coarse, Jeeves, the butler, answers the door. Immediately after the door is opened, a man staggers in the foyer and dies on the floor in the middle of the room. It is up to you, yes YOU, and the detective to solve 3 things:

1) Who killed the man

2) Why they killed him

and 3) Who is the man?

The Rules:

Throughout the investigation you, the helpers of Detect. Spencer, will be able to question the guests as the night goes on (it is night until the mystery is solved or the last hint is given). You will also be able to ask yes or no questions that relate to the context of hints or the infromation at the beginning of the topic. One last thing, you cannot just guess at the answers to the questions, you have to provide some logic to your answer. Now solve this case!

okay then. was i anywhere close on the safe behind the doe? or the doe in the den? someone in the house should look for it and see if it is there.

i'm not telling...but in the future you have to order some1 to look at something (usually detective spencer) anyway,

The doe's head is in the trophy room (it was shot and stuffed long before the law took place) and Spencer notices that the eyes are looking toward something...it's the fireplace...but why? :huh:

Why wasn't Gus' body underneath the carpet also?

Gus:

Did you remain concious for a few seconds before collapsing?

If so, did the man flee after being spotted by you?

Naomi:

How obvious was the figure when you first saw him?

Why didn't anyone else see him? Have you always been observant?

Is one of the secret passages in the fireplace? could the will be in the chimney? In the passage?

I would like Spencer to check this.

Is the doe in such a position that it could be a coincidence? Where is the doe in the room?

Isn't it a bit odd that the detective's sister one the raffle?

Thaddeus:

Was the raffle rigged? Possibly so that there was a limited number of people? All possible relations of guests?

Why wasn't Gus' body underneath the carpet also?

Gus:

Did you remain concious for a few seconds before collapsing?no, I lost consciousness instantly after I felt the blow.

If so, did the man flee after being spotted by you?

Naomi:

How obvious was the figure when you first saw him? all I saw was all that the lightning illuminated. it was a man in a mask

Why didn't anyone else see him? Have you always been observant? I guess it's because they were all staring at the body or one another. I just happened to see the man out of the corner of my eye. (no she's not that observant but she is capable of seeing things other's don't and i don't mean the supernatural :P )

Could Naomi possibly have hired the masked man as a way to gain fame (even if it is in the criminal world)?

This would make the masked man the murderer.

Naomi's motives would be to gain fame as she is the only guest there by chance?

Am I on the right track?

ok. detective can you please check the chimney and fireplace thoroughly for any clue such as a passage or even the will tucked in there. Maybe there may even be a hidden camera in the fireplace that was forgotten and recorded the murder of the cook?

If the doe was stuffed? could detective check that anyways, the eyes could be facing the fireplace to throw thieves off of the real area. It could be stuffed with anything, maybe useful maybe not.

Naomi:

Being the brother of the detective, how could you

not know anyone there?Just because he's my brother doesn't mean i know everyone he does. I lived in Alaska remember? so i don't know many people in the lower 48.

Could Naomi possibly have hired the masked man as a way to gain fame (even if it is in the criminal world)?

This would make the masked man the murderer.

Naomi's motives would be to gain fame as she is the only guest there by chance?

Am I on the right track?

well...no, Naomi really is there on luck. and i will say this...the masked man is an acomplis to the murder.

ok. detective can you please check the chimney and fireplace thoroughly for any clue such as a passage or even the will tucked in there. Maybe there may even be a hidden camera in the fireplace that was forgotten and recorded the murder of the cook?

If the doe was stuffed? could detective check that anyways, the eyes could be facing the fireplace to throw thieves off of the real area. It could be stuffed with anything, maybe useful maybe not.

The detective checks the stuffed doe head. In the mouth he notices a lever that looks like a tongue. he pulls the tongue and a wall behind the fireplace opens revealing a safe. to make things quick, the safe has no combination lock but a key, with Claire's bobby pin, Spencer picks the lock and finds...The Will! :D

the will is Thatcher's last will and testamate and as it turns out, he left his entire estate to Thadeus...his old friend.

Why don't we go back to the study, shall we? ;)

well...no, Naomi really is there on luck. and i will say this...the masked man is an acomplis to the murder.

The detective checks the stuffed doe head. In the mouth he notices a lever that looks like a tongue. he pulls the tongue and a wall behind the fireplace opens revealing a safe. to make things quick, the safe has no combination lock but a key, with Claire's bobby pin, Spencer picks the lock and finds...The Will! :D

the will is Thatcher's last will and testamate and as it turns out, he left his entire estate to Thadeus...his old friend.

Why don't we go back to the study, shall we? ;)

Thaddeus is the murderer.

His motive was to inherit Thatcher's money.

The masked man is a member of PTP

A lot of these questions were irrelivent if my theory is correct. Why did Spencer inspect the footprints if the masked man is not a guest? Sorry if I sound like a jerk. :rolleyes:

Thaddeus is the murderer.

His motive was to inherit Thatcher's money.

The masked man is a member of PTP

no Thadeus is not the murderer. yes maybe he had a motive but he was not the murderer. I believe that it was also mentioned that the MF was not a guest at the party...anyway there is more to the will, Spencer has examined it and the lower page seems somewhat askew, as if cut with scissors. We must catch the MF by exploring the Manor.

here are the groups again:

Group Alpha: Spencer and Thadues; Spencer must protect Thadues as he might be the next target.

Group Beta: Gus and Sophie; Gus and Sophie are the least likely to quarrel with each other.

Group Gamma: Desmond and Claire; Claire would only pair with someone who was rich.

Group Delta: Jeeves and Naomi; They were the last two (and Naomi can probably protect Jeeves if the help is being targeted :P )

it's up to you where they go.

Secure rooms:

• Lounge
  • Study

Insecure rooms:

• Trophy Room
    • Kitchen
    • Dining Room
    • Master Bedroom
    • Sauna
Edited by No1slight

ok. there are 4 groups and 5 rooms that are not secured. so how about:

Spencer and Thaddeus: master bedroom

Gus and Sophie: dining room

Jeeves and Naomi: kitchen

desmend and claire: sauna

ok. there are 4 groups and 5 rooms that are not secured. so how about:

Spencer and Thaddeus: master bedroom

Gus and Sophie: dining room

Jeeves and Naomi: kitchen

desmend and claire: sauna

alright, here is what happens in order by of randomosity:

Desmond and Claire head over to the sauna. with the power out they are carrying 2 candles in candlesticks, while exploring the sauna...they find nothing and nobody.

SAUNA SECURE!

Jeeves and Naomi head into with 2 candle sticks with candles (of course) and upon going into the kitchen they find that it is a wreck. While roaming amongst the wreckage, Naomi finds an odd knob on the oven with no label. She presses the knob and finds a secret passage but they immediately close it for they fear what might come out.

the kitchen is still insecure.

Gus and Sophie arrive in the dining room and find it in perfect condition. nothing out of the ordinary.

DINING ROOM SECURE!

Lastly Spencer and Thadeus. As they enter the master bedroom, Spencer comes to a screeching halt. The room has obviously been booby trapped. Luckily, Thadeus was walking behind Spencer and Spencer cuts the wire put in front of the door without actually entering. Immediately after cutting the wire, an ax suddenly drops down in front of Spencer. When this happens, Spencer notices that a picture on the wall is somewhat askew...upon further inspection he finds a secret passage. the other end is closed and Spencer doesn't want to risk bringing Thadeus along or leaving him alone for he is the next target and the will has been tampered with, omitting information. Spencer has deduced that there was another heir to Thatcher's estate if something should happen to Thadeus. Looking down Spencer finds a piece of paper on the floor in front of the painting. the paper reads: "If something should happen to Thadeus as to where he could not accept my estate the manor and my fortune shall go to my financial advisor and my lawyer, Stephano Witacher." "I must contact this man." thought The Detective.

To the Study! :D

Secure Rooms:

• Lounge
  • Study
  • Foyer (sorry i forgot about this one)
  • Sauna
  • Dining Room

Insecure Rooms:

• Trophy Room
    • Kitchen
    • Master Bedroom

Does anyone in the manor have a cell phone? Or because they are old-fashioned....are they against having cell phones....otherwise its safe to say none of the telephones work? but then again if i were Stephano Witacher, i dont know if i would want to be called past 11:00 at night!

but maybe thats totally off...cause this Stephano guy could be in the house if he is the murderer...

:blink:

the trophy room is still not secured, so we can put desmend and claire in there.

naomi, jeeves, gus and sophie can go to the kitchen.

spencer needs to get ahold of the attorney/financial advisor, so thaddeus is with him. but if the house phone is out, what options is there besides cellular phone?

The masked man is the murderer. His motive was for the money. I don't know who hired him (It was probably thadeus who offered to give the killer 20% of the money or something like that.) . Is this right?

but, the attorney did know about the will. but who knew about the hidden halls? The rich gal couldve known since her dad used to be at the house a lot. If they have the same attorney, she could have been working with him, but she does not need the money and he probably gets paid good.

just thinking.

what do we have up to now. is there a update?

Does anyone in the manor have a cell phone? Or because they are old-fashioned....are they against having cell phones....otherwise its safe to say none of the telephones work? but then again if i were Stephano Witacher, i dont know if i would want to be called past 11:00 at night!

but maybe thats totally off...cause this Stephano guy could be in the house if he is the murderer...

:blink:

Actually, there is one phone that runs on battery, it's in the lounge. Spencer talks the the Stephano and he's on his way to the manor. He couldn't discuss this matter over the phone due to the almost dead battery. (Amazingly Witacher wasn't asleep) The phone that Witacher was calling from must have been a cellphone because there was a lot of static.

the trophy room is still not secured, so we can put desmend and claire in there.

naomi, jeeves, gus and sophie can go to the kitchen.

spencer needs to get ahold of the attorney/financial advisor, so thaddeus is with him. but if the house phone is out, what options is there besides cellular phone?

While Group Alpha is calling Witacher, Group Gamma heads to the Trophy Room. they find that the chef was not murdered there due to the fact that there is no blood whatsoever or any sign of a struggle.

Trophy Room still insecure

Meanwhile, Groups Beta and Delta head to the kitchen after picking up the wreckage they find blood stains in unusual places, such as the freezer where meat is stored. After that, Naomi shows them the secret passage and they all head through it, when they come out they find that it leads to the Master Bedroom. Nothing more is to be found in that room so they bar up the passage way from the kitchen to the Master Bedroom.

KITCHEN AND MASTER BEDROOM SECURE!

Insecure Rooms:

Trophy Room

Spencer, check the passage in the kitchen.

Spencer further inspects the passageway in the kitchen and finds a scrap of cloth, the masked man's mask and a shoe that a business man would wear.

The masked man is the murderer. His motive was for the money. I don't know who hired him (It was probably thadeus who offered to give the killer 20% of the money or something like that.) . Is this right?

i believe i said that the MF, or the UF as it would be now is not the murderer but an accomplis to the murder.

How are the footprints relevant?

The footprints show that there was an uninvited guest to the party.

but, the attorney did know about the will. but who knew about the hidden halls? The rich gal couldve known since her dad used to be at the house a lot. If they have the same attorney, she could have been working with him, but she does not need the money and he probably gets paid good.

just thinking.

what do we have up to now. is there a update?

ok here is a recap:

There is a party where the party host is being targeted for death. the late owner of the manor has entrusted his estate to Thadeus with the help of his layer, Stephano Witacher who is the second heir if something should happen to Thadeus. the cook is dead and his body is in the trophy room, the room that gus was in front of when he was knocked unconscious. The Uf has left a mask and is now in hiding. the shoe was obviously not the UF's so it must be another person's, someone who was also not invited to the party. There are 2 hidden passages. Lounge-Trophy Room and Kitchen-Master Bedroom

Now here is an update:

The lights are now back on due to Det Spencer's ingenuity. He found that the wires had been cut and the wire cutters had been carelessly left there. Also, Mr. Witacher has arrived at the Manor, now called Thadeus Manor.

Are you going to let us know when the attorney gets here. The kitchen is secure but what about the blood in the freezer, are we to presume the cook was killed in the kitchen and stored in the freezer? Then he was moved from the kitchen thru the hidden hallway to the study, eventually. We dont know how big the cook was, but if he was dead when he was moved, as the blood in the kitchen would suggest, then it would take 2 men to get him there.