BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

hello one and all!

The Setting:

O.K., the year is...well 2009, and there is an old fashioned dinner party (like the one in the movie Clue based on the game) where nothing "new age" is allowed into the party at Thatcher Manor. There are 6 guests at the party with 3 servants (including the cook) and a host by the name of Thadeus. the names of the people at the party are as follows:

The Residence:

Thadeus - the host of the party with a taste for 20's themed parties

Sofie - the rather beautifle maid-servant to the head of the houshold of the manor

Jeeves - the butler for the manor, think's his name is a bit cliche for his occupation

The Guests:

Detective Spencer - the greatly known detective of English decent with the abilty to solve any case, though for this one he might need the aid of you, yes YOU.

Fredward Desmund - the novelist whose books end up killing their occupants (the characters) and leaves the reader to figure out the murderer, like in Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None

Claire Savanah - the former heiress to a multi-million $ company that supports the causes (i.e. charity events) of the Thatcher Manor and has now inherited the company and was always rather supercilious.

Naomi Spencer - the lucky winner in a contest irrelevant to what must be solved. She is shy at a 5'8" (english system) but is rather talkative if the occasion hits her.

Augustice "Gus" Maylor - the representative of the PTP organization (preserve the past). he is usually quite polite until someone derides him about his love for antiques and or when someone belittles a priceless artifact. he is there on account that he recieved an invite and that the house is filled with priceless artifacts from the early century and beyond that.

The Plot:

Dinner has been served. Thadeus and the guests have retired to the lounge when the doorbell is heard. Of coarse, Jeeves, the butler, answers the door. Immediately after the door is opened, a man staggers in the foyer and dies on the floor in the middle of the room. It is up to you, yes YOU, and the detective to solve 3 things:

1) Who killed the man

2) Why they killed him

and 3) Who is the man?

The Rules:

Throughout the investigation you, the helpers of Detect. Spencer, will be able to question the guests as the night goes on (it is night until the mystery is solved or the last hint is given). You will also be able to ask yes or no questions that relate to the context of hints or the infromation at the beginning of the topic. One last thing, you cannot just guess at the answers to the questions, you have to provide some logic to your answer. Now solve this case!

stephano: can we see your shoes? do you have any idea of who would want Mr. Thatcher dead? where were you all evening? How much of the house are you familiar with? How well do you know the help and Mr. Thaddeus? Do you know any of the guests that are here tonight? Is there anything that you feel is relevent to this case?

what is stephano's physical appearance? is he stocky, muscle, short/tall?/

stephano: can we see your shoes? do you have any idea of who would want Mr. Thatcher dead? where were you all evening? How much of the house are you familiar with? How well do you know the help and Mr. Thaddeus? Do you know any of the guests that are here tonight? Is there anything that you feel is relevent to this case?

what is stephano's physical appearance? is he stocky, muscle, short/tall?/

Stephano's shoes are muddy, which is odd because there is a stone path that he could have taken.

Stephano: No i can't imagine why anyone who would want thatcher dead. All this evening i was at my office *rubs neck* i'm familiar with a lot of the house and it's secret passage ways because Thatcher trusted me with helping him deal with his will. The only guest i know of is Thadeus for he is a client of mine.

Stephano's shoes are muddy, which is odd because there is a stone path that he could have taken.

Stephano: No i can't imagine why anyone who would want thatcher dead. All this evening i was at my office *rubs neck* i'm familiar with a lot of the house and it's secret passage ways because Thatcher trusted me with helping him deal with his will. The only guest i know of is Thadeus for he is a client of mine.

He's lying!! I watched that south park episode where if you roll your eyes, rub your neck or touch your ear you are lying!! Ha, caught red handed!!

He's lying!! I watched that south park episode where if you roll your eyes, rub your neck or touch your ear you are lying!! Ha, caught red handed!!

ok but what do you think he's lying about?

Second: The house is almost completely surrounded by, well, dirt. so there will be a lot of foot prints. but the one's leading to the fusebox seem to be smooth in texture...and everyone else's shoes have markings on theirs. anyway the MF came from the woods right next to the fusebox and then left in front of the house. so says Det. Spence.

Okay, can we get det. Spencer to analyze Stephano's shoes to see if the bottom of his shoes are smooth in texture?

maybe....if he was the masked man...and the 'MF came from the woods', maybe thats why they had a bad connection when Thadeus called him! He was on his cell phone, and there may not be the best of service in the woods!

Also, how did Stephano arrive? did he arrive by car, or did he walk? And how quickly did he arrive from the time he was called? Because if he appeared within minutes, it is obvious he was close to the mansion at the time and not at his office like he said.

Stephano: can anyone verify where you were this evening? Was there anyone who seen you there?

Stephano: Why yes, my assistant can. I would call him my secretary but he's a man.

Okay, can we get det. Spencer to analyze Stephano's shoes to see if the bottom of his shoes are smooth in texture?

maybe....if he was the masked man...and the 'MF came from the woods', maybe thats why they had a bad connection when Thadeus called him! He was on his cell phone, and there may not be the best of service in the woods!

Also, how did Stephano arrive? did he arrive by car, or did he walk? And how quickly did he arrive from the time he was called? Because if he appeared within minutes, it is obvious he was close to the mansion at the time and not at his office like he said.

Ok, the texture of the lawyer's shoes are somewhat smooth but not totally. keep in mind that we found a shoe in the secret passage way that looked like a business man's shoes. Also he could have arrived by car because the place to park cars is too far off to see. And now it's completely obvious that Stephano is lying about something for his arrival was way too quick and he seems a little bit nervous at times for a lawyer.

Sorry. I thought it might be a trick question,

Desmond: Do you think this might be the topic for your next book? Has one of your books come out recently? Can you think of anyone here who would be willing to murder to get you to write?

Sorry. I thought it might be a trick question,

Desmond: Do you think this might be the topic for your next book? Has one of your books come out recently? Can you think of anyone here who would be willing to murder to get you to write?

sorry but none of these are relevant to the mystery

To Stephano: If you were at your office all evening, why are your shoes muddy? Please explain yourself. Also, what services is Thadeus currently getting from you? You seem nervous, do you mind telling me why?

To Thadeus: So you know Stephano? Stephano says you are a client of his, is this true, and what kind of services are you getting from him? Is he trustworthy? What do you know of his background?

To Stephano: If you were at your office all evening, why are your shoes muddy? Please explain yourself. Also, what services is Thadeus currently getting from you? You seem nervous, do you mind telling me why?

To Thadeus: So you know Stephano? Stephano says you are a client of his, is this true, and what kind of services are you getting from him? Is he trustworthy? What do you know of his background?

Stephano: Thaseus requires my services for his patent and business deals. (Stephano seems to be sweating when the temp of the house is 72 deg. because one could clearly see that his head is glistening more than that of a dry forehead)

Thadeus: Yes, he helps me with my patent and business deals when i need his help. But i don't know much about him. Also i'm a bit trusting...sometimes to much for my own good. (stares out of foyer window as if trying to figure something out)

Hmm. Are you trying to trick us in to thinking that Stefano is the MF? If so, it's working.

lol, you never know, you might be on the right track, but i'm just saying...

I really hope this gets somewhere...it feels like we (come on people!! lets solve this mystery!!) are on the verge of something big. Course this could just be a wild goose chase...

To Stephano: You didn't answer my question. I'll ask once more, why are your shoes muddy? Why did you dodge my question? It's not a trick question; as a lawyer you should be smart enough to answer a simple inquiry.

*I'm not trying to batter him, I just feel like he is hiding something...so I'm pouring on the pressure. Maybe he will crack!*

To Thadeus: What is on your mind? Did something happen to you because of your trusting nature?

Thoughts: I was thinking. What if all of Thadeus's previous business endeavors failed because of Stephano? Maybe Stephano is NOT a real lawyer, but is a no good swindler! So in this case, he has been essentially stealing from Thadeus this whole time. And now, the only thing between Stephano and the inheritance is Thadeus. So, Stephano does have a motive. Maybe Stephano is the mastermind and is the one who is pulling the MF's strings...but if this is not so, then Stephano is the MF, but the question remains: who else is responsible for the murders?

I really hope this gets somewhere...it feels like we (come on people!! lets solve this mystery!!) are on the verge of something big. Course this could just be a wild goose chase...

To Stephano: You didn't answer my question. I'll ask once more, why are your shoes muddy? Why did you dodge my question? It's not a trick question; as a lawyer you should be smart enough to answer a simple inquiry.

*I'm not trying to batter him, I just feel like he is hiding something...so I'm pouring on the pressure. Maybe he will crack!*

To Thadeus: What is on your mind? Did something happen to you because of your trusting nature?

Thoughts: I was thinking. What if all of Thadeus's previous business endeavors failed because of Stephano? Maybe Stephano is NOT a real lawyer, but is a no good swindler! So in this case, he has been essentially stealing from Thadeus this whole time. And now, the only thing between Stephano and the inheritance is Thadeus. So, Stephano does have a motive. Maybe Stephano is the mastermind and is the one who is pulling the MF's strings...but if this is not so, then Stephano is the MF, but the question remains: who else is responsible for the murders?

Stephano:... (he's really sweating now. he must have been trying to avoid the question)

Thadeus: I'm thinking of when Thatcher wrote his will. I wasn't there but i know when he wrote it that he was with his lawyer...from then on Stephano's presence seemed a little bit awkward...a bit too awkward...

(news flash after this)

Stephano:... (he's really sweating now. he must have been trying to avoid the question)

Thadeus: I'm thinking of when Thatcher wrote his will. I wasn't there but i know when he wrote it that he was with his lawyer...from then on Stephano's presence seemed a little bit awkward...a bit too awkward...

(news flash after this)

Stephano has to be the man who planned this or the masked man. One of the two.

NEWS FLASH!!!!!

The time is now 12:00 AM, midnight, when the lights go out for a third time (first was on purpose then the second couldn't be helped). The door opens and then there's a slam. Now there's a scream! it sounded like a man! a few seconds later the lights come back on...Stephano is gone. Naomi looks around in fear and screams as she looks toward the window. There is a man leaning up against the glass face first...dead (i'm psychic like that...and there was blood trickling down his face and coming out of his mouth.) WE HAVE REACHED THE CLIMAX!!!!! :D

Stephano has to be the man who planned this or the masked man. One of the two.

you are right but:

1)Who Killed Thatcher?

2)What was his motive? (yes it was a man)

3)Who was the dead man? (answered)

4)Who is the MF? (Unmasked Figure (UF) now)

you are right but:

1)Who Killed Thatcher?

2)What was his motive? (yes it was a man)

3)Who was the dead man? (answered)

4)Who is the MF? (Unmasked Figure (UF) now)

Could you mean unmasked in more ways than one? Is it possible that the man who set this up was also the figure? I think the motive was for money. I think Stephano is the UF. Maybe Thaddeus' will states that he left everything to Spencer. Could the detective be the murderer? That would mean that if Thaddeus dies, Spencer would get Thatcher's money.

Edited by Blablah99

Could you mean unmasked in more ways than one? Is it possible that the man who set this up was also the figure? I think the motive was for money. I think Stephano is the UF. Maybe Thaddeus' will states that he left everything to Spencer. Could the detective be the murderer? That would mean that if Thaddeus dies, Spencer would get Thatcher's money.

ok Unmasked litterally means "unmasked" he no longer has his mask. kinda like what they do on Scooby-Doo. anyway, you have the motive right. The detective is never going to be the person we're after. also the will only mentioned Thadeus and Stephano. Anyway here are the questions and their status.

1) Who killed Thatcher?

2) What was his motive? Money

3) Who was the dead man? Thatcher

4) Who is the UF?

1) Who killed Thatcher?

4) Who is the UF?

The killer of Thatcher is most likely still in the house. Only then could he have cut the wires and etc. Either that or he is outside near some electric cables. I say split the group in two... one group with detective Spencer goes to inspect the electric wiring outside and the body, the other group secures the trophy room.

The killer of Thatcher is most likely still in the house. Only then could he have cut the wires and etc. Either that or he is outside near some electric cables. I say split the group in two... one group with detective Spencer goes to inspect the electric wiring outside and the body, the other group secures the trophy room.

Novel idea! :D the groups:

Group I: Spencer, Thadeus, Claire, and Gus

Group II: Naomi, Sophie, Jeeves, and Desmond

Group I heads out to check the fuse box. When they pass the body Thadeus got a better look at the figure, and gasps in shock.

Thadeus: *gasp* That's Stephano's assistant! And why is he holding a ma-- but that would mean-- oh dear...

They find that the wires of the fuse box have been cut again. There seems to be a figure in the woods...Spencer shine's his light on him but he can't see his face.

*for now you can't ask questions to group I, you can only give commands*

Group II goes into the trophy room with Naomi as protection with Desmond as some help. Going into the trophy room they find that the cook is still in his place...but the secret panel is open...Desmond and Jeeves head through the passage and find nothing, the trophy room is now secure due to the fact that there is nothing new and that the masked man is dead.

Group I: Spencer, Thadeus, Claire, and Gus

Group II: Naomi, Sophie, Jeeves, and Desmond

Group I heads out to check the fuse box. When they pass the body Thadeus got a better look at the figure, and gasps in shock.

Thadeus: *gasp* That's Stephano's assistant! And why is he holding a ma-- but that would mean-- oh dear...

They find that the wires of the fuse box have been cut again. There seems to be a figure in the woods...Spencer shine's his light on him but he can't see his face.

wait, what does thadeus mean by "a ma--" ?

Send Thadeus back into the foyer and have Group II meet with him there. Their priority is to stay safe for now. Then have the rest of Group I pursue the figure in the woods immediately. He must not escape!