BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

hello one and all!

The Setting:

O.K., the year is...well 2009, and there is an old fashioned dinner party (like the one in the movie Clue based on the game) where nothing "new age" is allowed into the party at Thatcher Manor. There are 6 guests at the party with 3 servants (including the cook) and a host by the name of Thadeus. the names of the people at the party are as follows:

The Residence:

Thadeus - the host of the party with a taste for 20's themed parties

Sofie - the rather beautifle maid-servant to the head of the houshold of the manor

Jeeves - the butler for the manor, think's his name is a bit cliche for his occupation

The Guests:

Detective Spencer - the greatly known detective of English decent with the abilty to solve any case, though for this one he might need the aid of you, yes YOU.

Fredward Desmund - the novelist whose books end up killing their occupants (the characters) and leaves the reader to figure out the murderer, like in Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None

Claire Savanah - the former heiress to a multi-million $ company that supports the causes (i.e. charity events) of the Thatcher Manor and has now inherited the company and was always rather supercilious.

Naomi Spencer - the lucky winner in a contest irrelevant to what must be solved. She is shy at a 5'8" (english system) but is rather talkative if the occasion hits her.

Augustice "Gus" Maylor - the representative of the PTP organization (preserve the past). he is usually quite polite until someone derides him about his love for antiques and or when someone belittles a priceless artifact. he is there on account that he recieved an invite and that the house is filled with priceless artifacts from the early century and beyond that.

The Plot:

Dinner has been served. Thadeus and the guests have retired to the lounge when the doorbell is heard. Of coarse, Jeeves, the butler, answers the door. Immediately after the door is opened, a man staggers in the foyer and dies on the floor in the middle of the room. It is up to you, yes YOU, and the detective to solve 3 things:

1) Who killed the man

2) Why they killed him

and 3) Who is the man?

The Rules:

Throughout the investigation you, the helpers of Detect. Spencer, will be able to question the guests as the night goes on (it is night until the mystery is solved or the last hint is given). You will also be able to ask yes or no questions that relate to the context of hints or the infromation at the beginning of the topic. One last thing, you cannot just guess at the answers to the questions, you have to provide some logic to your answer. Now solve this case!

And I already answered that question, right?

no, you found out who the man who died was, (recap: Mr. Thatcher is unveiled by CuteSparklezGirl) now a 4th question arises:

Who is the masked figure lurking about? :huh:

no, you found out who the man who died was, (recap: Mr. Thatcher is unveiled by CuteSparklezGirl) now a 4th question arises:

Who is the masked figure lurking about? :huh:

Oh... I totally missed that. So there is an unidentified masked man. I suspect he was hired by one of the guests to kill the owner of the mansion.

Oh... I totally missed that. So there is an unidentified masked man. I suspect he was hired by one of the guests to kill the owner of the mansion.

aaaahhhhh, interesting notion, but you'll have to figure that out with evidence and, hopefully, with logic ;)

and to clarify for those who take the clues literally, the masked figure (MF) still needs to be classified into a category of gender.

To Thadius: Were you aware of Mr. Thatchers "relationship" with his "maid" Sofie?

and if so.....

Were you jealous?

Was she your play thing as well?

if Mr. Thatcher had a "relationship" with sophie, then it is not to the knowledge of the person who created this mystery, so...

Thadeus: :angry: "I should say not! I am a happily married man, believe it or not! I would never cheat on my wife...even if she is dead." :angry:

To Thadeus: How did you come to be a guest at Thatcher Mannor?

Were you broke and jobless?

Thadeus: "Well, we were very good friends in college, well, we were practically brothers. We would have done anything, well almost anything, for the other."

*and to save time with the other two posts*

Thadeus: "Well, Thatcher did seem somewhat reluctant when i wanted to host the party here, but I never found out. And as for the cook, well, i hardly know anything about him. He seems to like his work though...like an artist."

Spencer: "Well, Jeeves says that he was in the kitchen talking with the cook for several minutes when he answered the door. From what I gather, the cook seems a bit jolly."

uuuhhhhh... helloooo? well then

Recap:

There is a party at Thatcher Manor. An old fashioned one at that. It's hosted by Thadeus. A man has been killed and he goes by the name of Mr. Thatcher. afterwords the power went out. Naomi screams, there's a hideous figure outside, and now there is a previously unknown map of the estate in the posesion of Detective Spencer after he found it under the the fuse box outside.

What will you do next?

uuuhhhhh... helloooo? well then

Recap:

There is a party at Thatcher Manor. An old fashioned one at that. It's hosted by Thadeus. A man has been killed and he goes by the name of Mr. Thatcher. afterwords the power went out. Naomi screams, there's a hideous figure outside, and now there is a previously unknown map of the estate in the posesion of Detective Spencer after he found it under the the fuse box outside.

What will you do next?

-_-

Edited by No1slight

News Flash!!!!:

All the guests are in the lounge with the butler, and the maid is off cleaning the manor and the cook is in the kitchen and thadeus is in the foyer with the unmoved body. As Thadeus is looking at the dead man, he starts to get uncomfortable with the blood on his face, so he decides to clean him up a little regardless of evidence. After the blood is whiped away, Thadeus seems a bit different...

Thadeus: :o "Oh...Oh my...Oh my Goodness!!!!! No! Why?!? AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" :o

Did you whipe the blood away because the evidence may point a finger your way?

And ... Why the sudden show of emotions?

Is this part of your cover up?

What were the circumstances as to the contest that Naomi won? Who set up the Raffle? and why?

-_-

Just a few thoughts no questions yet...

First the bloodied body shows up at the door and falls.

Then the lights go out.

A bloodied face on a distorted figure is seen out the window running away.

When the lights come back on there is indeed a dead body on the floor.

Although we thought the body that had fallen was a dead body (Mr. Thatcher)

I suspect this was actually the killeror his accomplist. In disguise, fake blood.

And when the lights went out he got up and placed the allready dead Mr. Thatcher.

This is why Mr. Thatcher was not at the party that evening. He was already dead.

The musty smell was probably from the celler where his body was being kept.

Both the killer (or accomplist) and the dead Mr. Thatcher were in the celler so both would have that musty oder.

The party was just a cover up for the murder. A convienient way to have the body show up.

What i dont know is why he was killed and for sure who killed him. for all i know he could have died natural causes and this is all for sport.

Maybe a start to a novel. Novelist do need story plots and real reactions to circumstances to portray in the novel.

Just a thought....

Someone ask better questions so we can solve this mystery

Please?

I feed off your questions and answers.....

Yummy lol

I'm not really sure how you intended this to go since my last attempt to "drive" Det. Spencer misfired.

So, let's go back to my original train of investigation on a different tack. I'd like to investigate the fuse box, and determine to the best of my/Spencer's ability what the residue on the handle is.

In addition, I would like to tread carefully around the outside of the house and try to determine where the mystery figure came from and where they headed after looking in the window. Also, keep a very sharp eye out for the "blunt object" that was used to kill Mr. Thatcher while investigating the mystery figure's trail.

Further, I'm beginning to suspect that although you said "everybody" came to the foyer to see the dead body, that in fact perhaps the cook and the maid were not there? It seems a bit odd that after somebody died the maid would go off and clean the house if she knew about it.

To Pet_Rock - I don't remember reading anything about a the mystery figure having a bloody face.

Something I just considered... Was the injury on the man on the front of his head or back? Assuming front since his face was bloody. I would determine from each person in the house whether they are right or left handed. A trauma to the front right side of a victim's head is likely to be caused by a left handed person.

Did you whipe the blood away because the evidence may point a finger your way?

And ... Why the sudden show of emotions?

Is this part of your cover up?

What were the circumstances as to the contest that Naomi won? Who set up the Raffle? and why?

Thadeus: "My, my so many questions! I wiped away the blood to see if I could recognize the man after the blood was gone and, well I did. As for my emotions showing I say this: 'Wouldn't you be emotional if one of your friends died?' Also, the raffle drawing was set up by Thatcher and I to raise money for the reason this party is being held. To discuss and perhaps donate to the PTP Org."

I'm not really sure how you intended this to go since my last attempt to "drive" Det. Spencer misfired.

So, let's go back to my original train of investigation on a different tack. I'd like to investigate the fuse box, and determine to the best of my/Spencer's ability what the residue on the handle is.

In addition, I would like to tread carefully around the outside of the house and try to determine where the mystery figure came from and where they headed after looking in the window. Also, keep a very sharp eye out for the "blunt object" that was used to kill Mr. Thatcher while investigating the mystery figure's trail.

Further, I'm beginning to suspect that although you said "everybody" came to the foyer to see the dead body, that in fact perhaps the cook and the maid were not there? It seems a bit odd that after somebody died the maid would go off and clean the house if she knew about it.

To Pet_Rock - I don't remember reading anything about a the mystery figure having a bloody face.

ok. first: after investigating the fuse box, the residue left on the handle seems to be that of a glaze, such as the type that might be found on a regular doughnut.

Second: The house is almost completely surrounded by, well, dirt. so there will be a lot of foot prints. but the one's leading to the fusebox seem to be smooth in texture...and everyone else's shoes have markings on theirs. anyway the MF came from the woods right next to the fusebox and then left in front of the house. so says Det. Spence. No blunt object found around there...perhaps on the other side of the front of the house. Thrown weapon?

Third: Everybody was in the foyer to see the dead body. even the help. the maid does seem suspicious...she needs to be interi-...I mean interviewed ;)

Lastly: here are everyone's donminant hands. Everyone but Jeeves and the detecive are left handed. rather unlikely i surmise.

PS. Thatcher was hit in the his Right temple and now that Thadeus has wiped the blood, there are a few apparent bruises.

:thanks:

To the maid:

How long have you worked for Mr. Thatcher?

Have you had any type of relashonship with him?

Have you ever had an affair?

Are you married?

Do you have a boyfriend?

Did you like your former employer?

Do you have any reasons to get revenge?

To the maid:

Are you married?

Do you have a boyfriend?

HELLO? MISS MAID? YOU STILL THERE????

Spencer: "Well, Jeeves says that he was in the kitchen talking with the cook for several minutes when he answered the door. From what I gather, the cook seems a bit jolly."

ok. first: after investigating the fuse box, the residue left on the handle seems to be that of a glaze, such as the type that might be found on a regular doughnut.

Lastly: here are everyone's donminant hands. Everyone but Jeeves and the detecive are left handed. rather unlikely i surmise.

PS. Thatcher was hit in the his Right temple and now that Thadeus has wiped the blood, there are a few apparent bruises.

:thanks:

well this is conspicuous....how can someone be so jolly over a dead man on their yard...

i bet the cook is involve in this...

To the maid:

Are you married?

Do you have a boyfriend?

sry ...det. spence is back! :D ok to answer all these qs,

Maid: I have just started working for mister thatcher just a few months ago. we had no relationship and the closest i have ever gotten to being engaged was my highschool boyfriend, Jack. This is my first job and i don't have any grudges against anybody.

well this is conspicuous....how can someone be so jolly over a dead man on their yard...

i bet the cook is involve in this...

The Cook does seem rather suspicious, but this was before the butler answered the door isn't it? i don't remember...it's been a while :blush:

NEWS FLASH (coughs on dust and clears away cobwebs): Gus is feels like exploring the estate to look at the valubles and whatnot. 20 min later, he's found seemingly dead near the trophy room...what' going on here?