BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

hello one and all!

The Setting:

O.K., the year is...well 2009, and there is an old fashioned dinner party (like the one in the movie Clue based on the game) where nothing "new age" is allowed into the party at Thatcher Manor. There are 6 guests at the party with 3 servants (including the cook) and a host by the name of Thadeus. the names of the people at the party are as follows:

The Residence:

Thadeus - the host of the party with a taste for 20's themed parties

Sofie - the rather beautifle maid-servant to the head of the houshold of the manor

Jeeves - the butler for the manor, think's his name is a bit cliche for his occupation

The Guests:

Detective Spencer - the greatly known detective of English decent with the abilty to solve any case, though for this one he might need the aid of you, yes YOU.

Fredward Desmund - the novelist whose books end up killing their occupants (the characters) and leaves the reader to figure out the murderer, like in Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None

Claire Savanah - the former heiress to a multi-million $ company that supports the causes (i.e. charity events) of the Thatcher Manor and has now inherited the company and was always rather supercilious.

Naomi Spencer - the lucky winner in a contest irrelevant to what must be solved. She is shy at a 5'8" (english system) but is rather talkative if the occasion hits her.

Augustice "Gus" Maylor - the representative of the PTP organization (preserve the past). he is usually quite polite until someone derides him about his love for antiques and or when someone belittles a priceless artifact. he is there on account that he recieved an invite and that the house is filled with priceless artifacts from the early century and beyond that.

The Plot:

Dinner has been served. Thadeus and the guests have retired to the lounge when the doorbell is heard. Of coarse, Jeeves, the butler, answers the door. Immediately after the door is opened, a man staggers in the foyer and dies on the floor in the middle of the room. It is up to you, yes YOU, and the detective to solve 3 things:

1) Who killed the man

2) Why they killed him

and 3) Who is the man?

The Rules:

Throughout the investigation you, the helpers of Detect. Spencer, will be able to question the guests as the night goes on (it is night until the mystery is solved or the last hint is given). You will also be able to ask yes or no questions that relate to the context of hints or the infromation at the beginning of the topic. One last thing, you cannot just guess at the answers to the questions, you have to provide some logic to your answer. Now solve this case!

So we know that one of the people at the party killed the man, right? I have to ask, was Thatcher at the home all day? Had the man ever been in the home before?

Yes some1 @ the party killed the man, No Thatcher was not at home at all that day, and Yes the man has been in Thatcher Manor before and is quite familliar with it.

A few question

Was everbody present in the room when the lights went out?

Was anybody hurt or was anything stolen during this time?

Did you recognise the person you saw outside?

sorry if these have already been asked and answered.

Yes for the question

Naomi: :o "Well the person was wearing a mask and very baggy clothes so it was hard to tell if the...thing *shudder* was a man or woman and couldn't tell if that thing was someone I recognized." :o

Yes for the question

Naomi: :o "Well the person was wearing a mask and very baggy clothes so it was hard to tell if the...thing *shudder* was a man or woman and couldn't tell if that thing was someone I recognized." :o

Ask each guest, privately, what exactly they saw when it happened.

OK first, did you mean to say there were 6 guests? You listed 5 by name.

If everyone (5/6 guests plus 4 who live there) was in the foyer when the lights went out, then there must be at least one other unaccounted-for person.

Question to Jeeves: As the man came in (Jeeves let him in, and he "staggered") did you see/hear/smell anything odd? Did the man say or mumble or moan anything? Was the man coherent enough to have pressed the doorbell (or pulled the pull chain or whatever it was), or would somebody else have had to do it?

Question that Det. Spencer can answer: Is the house laid out in such a way that a single person could shut off the power at the fuse box and then be outside the window for Naomi to see in the time allotted?

Further, I'd have Det. Spencer check out the power lever and give as many details as he can discern from the residue on the handle (including, if applicable, smell).

ok, let me answer your first question with my own question: What is Thadeus's last name? If you don't know the answer then consider this, what if one of the residence is just staying there for a while? then technically they are a guest, just not in the way you would have thought.

Jeeves: :o "Now that you mention it, the man did smell rather musty. He said nothing from the time he entered to the time he died and there was no evidence, other than that big gash in his head, as to who killed him. Oh yes, i forgot about the door part. No he didn't ring the doorbell there was a faint knock, I barely heard it." :o

Detective Spencer :o "I wouldn't know about that, you try asking Thadeus, since he's one of the people staying there." :o

*Spencer asks Thadeus about the fuse box and finds out it's outside.* The fuse box is close to the window where Naomi saw the masked figure, so yes.

Augustice "Gus" Maylor

I strongly suspect little Gussy here.

Maybe he want to pull the whole distration gag so he can steal an antique.

maybe, you never know. (do do doodoodoo)

would you like to question Gus?

maybe, you never know. (do do doodoodoo)

would you like to question Gus?

Totally...

To Gus: Have you ever seen this man before?

Would you be willing to do anything for an antique?

Gus: :o "Miss Sparklez i only preserve antiques i don't collect them, and as for the man... OH MY GOODNESS...no, nevermind, i thought he looked familliar...no wait! he does look vaugely* familliar...i can't tell with his face distorted like that. Well, anyway, i hope that answers your question." :o

*might be misspelled...

To Claire Savanah: Have YOU ever seen this man before?

To Thatcher: Did the man previously work here?

Was he a friend of yours? A relation?

Claire: :o "Well as Mister Gus said earlier, he does look rather familiar. I wouldn't be suprised one bit if this man was somebody we all knew...well except Naomi; She's only here on some dumb luck from a raffle ticket drawing." :o

erm...I don't believe that Thatcher was at the party to begin with... so...try asking the help...

Claire: :o "Well as Mister Gus said earlier, he does look rather familiar. I wouldn't be suprised one bit if this man was somebody we all knew...well except Naomi; She's only here on some dumb luck from a raffle ticket drawing." :o

erm...I don't believe that Thatcher was at the party to begin with... so...try asking the help...

:blush::blush::duh: Thadeus ... DUH! OMG I am SOOO stupid!

Sorry bout that. I am too forgetful for my own good!!!!

:blush::blush::duh: Thadeus ... DUH! OMG I am SOOO stupid!

Sorry bout that. I am too forgetful for my own good!!!!

oh well in that case,

Thadeus::o"Well that man does seem familiar...but his face is so blood-stained i can't make out any fine features...":o

btw ur only as stoopid as you say you are :D

News Flash!!!!:

All the guests are in the lounge with the butler, and the maid is off cleaning the manor and the cook is in the kitchen and thadeus is in the foyer with the unmoved body. As Thadeus is looking at the dead man, he starts to get uncomfortable with the blood on his face, so he decides to clean him up a little regardless of evidence. After the blood is whiped away, Thadeus seems a bit different...

Thadeus: :o "Oh...Oh my...Oh my Goodness!!!!! No! Why?!? AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" :o

To Thadeus... Now that you see the man, is he related to you?

Thadeus: :o "No, no, my goodness, no. He is...or was a good friend of mine. I'm just staying with him until I could find a place off my own, oh gosh, I wish I knew who did this" :o

WAIT! So the man owns the house Thadeus is staying in and hosting a party in????

you are...half right. Someone else is hosting the party.

but you figured out #3!!!!:D you win a prize...

KUUUUDDDDOOOOOSS!!!!

you are...half right. Someone else is hosting the party.

but you figured out #3!!!!:D you win a prize...

KUUUUDDDDOOOOOSS!!!!

YAY!! I get a PRIZE! Thank you!

So...

) Who killed the man

2) Why they killed him

and 3) Who is the man?----- OWNER OF HOUSE

YAY!! I get a PRIZE! Thank you!

So...

) Who killed the man

2) Why they killed him

and 3) Who is the man?----- OWNER OF HOUSE

yes, you may refer to him as Mr. Thatcher of Thatcher Manor

yes, you may refer to him as Mr. Thatcher of Thatcher Manor

Oh! Duh! I knew I heard thatcher somewhere! Okay. I suspect foul play here. I suspect Thaddeus got Thatcher out of the way. Thatcher was originally hosting the party but for some unknown reason, I suspect Thaddeus decided to get him out of the way. Just a thought, though.

Oh! Duh! I knew I heard thatcher somewhere! Okay. I suspect foul play here. I suspect Thaddeus got Thatcher out of the way. Thatcher was originally hosting the party but for some unknown reason, I suspect Thaddeus decided to get him out of the way. Just a thought, though.

good hypo-thesis*...but no, Thadeus hardly ever lies and was good friends with Mr. Thatcher. Also, this is thadeus's party, Mr. Thatcher simply let him host it at this location. (but there is foul play ;) )

Implies my pronounciation of the word

:P

so the 6th guest killed the owner because he was outcasted from the party

Who is the sixth guest?

It was the sixth guest not decscribed because he missed dinner.

the sixth guest is listed in the list of characters. He is Thadeus he is not a guest to the party but a guest at the house he is staying at.

Was the distorted figure that caused Naomi to scream the 6th unnamed guest?

no, the ugly figure that Naomi saw in the dark is an unaccounted for person who was not invited.

so...who is s/he? :huh:

the sixth guest is listed in the list of characters. He is Thadeus he is not a guest to the party but a guest at the house he is staying at.

no, the ugly figure that Naomi saw in the dark is an unaccounted for person who was not invited.

so...who is s/he? :huh:

And I already answered that question, right?