BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

hello one and all!

The Setting:

O.K., the year is...well 2009, and there is an old fashioned dinner party (like the one in the movie Clue based on the game) where nothing "new age" is allowed into the party at Thatcher Manor. There are 6 guests at the party with 3 servants (including the cook) and a host by the name of Thadeus. the names of the people at the party are as follows:

The Residence:

Thadeus - the host of the party with a taste for 20's themed parties

Sofie - the rather beautifle maid-servant to the head of the houshold of the manor

Jeeves - the butler for the manor, think's his name is a bit cliche for his occupation

The Guests:

Detective Spencer - the greatly known detective of English decent with the abilty to solve any case, though for this one he might need the aid of you, yes YOU.

Fredward Desmund - the novelist whose books end up killing their occupants (the characters) and leaves the reader to figure out the murderer, like in Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None

Claire Savanah - the former heiress to a multi-million $ company that supports the causes (i.e. charity events) of the Thatcher Manor and has now inherited the company and was always rather supercilious.

Naomi Spencer - the lucky winner in a contest irrelevant to what must be solved. She is shy at a 5'8" (english system) but is rather talkative if the occasion hits her.

Augustice "Gus" Maylor - the representative of the PTP organization (preserve the past). he is usually quite polite until someone derides him about his love for antiques and or when someone belittles a priceless artifact. he is there on account that he recieved an invite and that the house is filled with priceless artifacts from the early century and beyond that.

The Plot:

Dinner has been served. Thadeus and the guests have retired to the lounge when the doorbell is heard. Of coarse, Jeeves, the butler, answers the door. Immediately after the door is opened, a man staggers in the foyer and dies on the floor in the middle of the room. It is up to you, yes YOU, and the detective to solve 3 things:

1) Who killed the man

2) Why they killed him

and 3) Who is the man?

The Rules:

Throughout the investigation you, the helpers of Detect. Spencer, will be able to question the guests as the night goes on (it is night until the mystery is solved or the last hint is given). You will also be able to ask yes or no questions that relate to the context of hints or the infromation at the beginning of the topic. One last thing, you cannot just guess at the answers to the questions, you have to provide some logic to your answer. Now solve this case!

Another one of these!? I think two at once may be a little difficult--too many posts to read!

Anyways, has the detective gathered everyone into one room yet? If not, I would ask him to do so. If so, I would like to ask the group if anyone knew this man that died. Oh, and what indications do we have as to the cause of death?

hello one and all!

The Setting:

O.K., the year is...well 2009, and there is an old fashioned dinner party (like the one in the movie Clue based on the game) where nothing "new age" is allowed into the party at Thatcher Manor. There are 6 guests at the party with 3 servants (including the cook) and a host by the name of Thadeus. the names of the people at the party are as follows:

The Residence:

Thadeus - the host of the party with a taste for 20's themed parties

Sofie - the rather beautifle maid-servant to the head of the houshold of the manor

Jeeves - the butler for the manor, think's his name is a bit cliche for his occupation

The Guests:

Detective Spencer - the greatly known detective of English decent with the abilty to solve any case, though for this one he might need the aid of you, yes YOU.

Fredward Desmund - the novelist whose books end up killing their occupants (the characters) and leaves the reader to figure out the murderer, like in Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None

Claire Savanah - the former heiress to a multi-million $ company that supports the causes (i.e. charity events) of the Thatcher Manor and has now inherited the company and was always rather supercilious.

Naomi Spencer - the lucky winner in a contest irrelevant to what must be solved. She is shy at a 5'8" (english system) but is rather talkative if the occasion hits her.

Augustice "Gus" Maylor - the representative of the PTP organization (preserve the past). he is usually quite polite until someone derides him about his love for antiques and or when someone belittles a priceless artifact. he is there on account that he recieved an invite and that the house is filled with priceless artifacts from the early century and beyond that.

The Plot:

Dinner has been served. Thadeus and the guests have retired to the lounge when the doorbell is heard. Of coarse, Jeeves, the butler, answers the door. Immediately after the door is opened, a man staggers in the foyer and dies on the floor in the middle of the room. It is up to you, yes YOU, and the detective to solve 3 things:

1) Who killed the man

2) Why they killed him

and 3) Who is the man?

The Rules:

Throughout the investigation you, the helpers of Detect. Spencer, will be able to question the guests as the night goes on (it is night until the mystery is solved or the last hint is given). You will also be able to ask yes or no questions that relate to the context of hints or the infromation at the beginning of the topic. One last thing, you cannot just guess at the answers to the questions, you have to provide some logic to your answer. Now solve this case!

This sounds like a "Crime Scene Investigators" number two.. Anyways good luck with this..

YAY! a mystery. I sort of believe the butler did it! The butler is always guilty. Maybe the butler killed the man beacuse he was too new age and would upset Thaddeus. Or maybe one of the guests half killed the man and he staggered to the party and then died. Am I on the right track?

Another one of these!? I think two at once may be a little difficult--too many posts to read!

Anyways, has the detective gathered everyone into one room yet? If not, I would ask him to do so. If so, I would like to ask the group if anyone knew this man that died. Oh, and what indications do we have as to the cause of death?

yes everyone has been gathered into the foyer after Jeeves, who was in a flustered manner, announced that a man was dead in the foyer after he staggered in. as for the other 2 q's: none recolect his facial features; the man appears to have been a victim of a ruptured artery on his right temple. he appears to have been bludgeoned.

*also refereing to the help, the cook is just called the cook. every guest and all the residence are in the foyer along with the victim*

YAY! a mystery. I sort of believe the butler did it! The butler is always guilty. Maybe the butler killed the man beacuse he was too new age and would upset Thaddeus. Or maybe one of the guests half killed the man and he staggered to the party and then died. Am I on the right track?

well you're right in that the strange man was half dead upon entering the manor but you must provide some sort of logic to your guesses. and no he was not killed because he was to new age for the party because he was neither invited nor was it his party.

nice try though but it's not always the butler :D

ok here is everything up to date. A man staggers into the foyer and dies. none of the guests don't know how the man died but he apears to have taken a hit to the temple and bled to death.

News flash!

the time is now 10:00 PM and the power has gone out. Darkness is everywhere. then there's a scream. it sounds like Naomi. what happened just now?

*also please note that any1 can come at any time*

are the guests, the victim, the host, the cook, and the butler the only people involved in this?

specify "this" do you mean the murder or the party? if its the murder you have to figure that out, if it's the party then yes for the guests and residence but no for the stranger.

does it look like he might have fell and hit his head...or like someone hit him?...

he was definatly murdered, cause of death was blood force trauma, or if you prefer, he was hit with a blunt object. (left temple form the victim's view)

*don't forget the newsflash*

Are they (character) in an isolated place(in an island or in a far away place or a place which only them, the characters could know)?

Are they in a secret fraternity?i bet they are cause they only allow "old stuff"

if so do they have a rival fraternity

and Why do they held the party?

Are they (character) in an isolated place(in an island or in a far away place or a place which only them, the characters could know)?

Are they in a secret fraternity?i bet they are cause they only allow "old stuff"

if so do they have a rival fraternity

and Why do they held the party?

sort of, Thatcher manor is in the country side of a city of little relevance. there is no secret fraternity, the "old stuff" as you say is for the theme of the party.

I'll bite...

Why did Naomi scream? Or is everything still dark?

you would have to interview her, and as for the power outage, it came back on a few minutes after Naomi's scream and if you look at the fuse box, there is a lever that shuts down the whole manor with an odd residue on the handle...

(what could this possibly mean?) :huh:

you would have to interview her, and as for the power outage, it came back on a few minutes after Naomi's scream and if you look at the fuse box, there is a lever that shuts down the whole manor with an odd residue on the handle...

(what could this possibly mean?) :huh:

also, remember that you are helping the detective and that you can only know things that he knows (anything relevant to the case that is) and can only find out things the way any person would, by asking questions to the appropriate people. and by that i mean the guests and the residence. you can also ask for a detailed description of any of the party-goers. ;)

Is Mr.Fredward Desmund has a new book?

i got a feeling that these are all part of an act.. like a promotional tactics for his new book.

and still haven't answer to my other question

Is Mr.Fredward Desmund has a new book?

i got a feeling that these are all part of an act.. like a promotional tactics for his new book.

and still haven't answer to my other question

oh sorry, the reason for the party is to call a meeting of the minds for an upcoming fundraiser for the PTP Organization, hence the appearance of Gus.

and yes Fredward does have a new book that he is dedicating to the owner of Thatcher Manor for his support with the less fortunate and historical preservation.

*news flash in 3 more posts*

Naomi: :o After the lights went out i could have sworn i saw a hideous looking man standing outside the window when the lightening struck. When the lights came back on the ugly man was gone. :o

*it was a dark and stormy night...*

Event: after Naomi's explanation, the rest of the group, except the detective who is intrigued by this new development, are a bit uneasy. a few minutes later they retire to the lounge leaving everything in place.

what next?

*suggestion: speak with the rest of the group, they may reveal something important*

recap: There is a party at Thatcher Manor, a man staggered in and died after being bludgeoned from before, moments later the power went out, Naomi saw something and screamed, the power came back on and everyone returned to the lounge, each person affected differently by the excitement of the night.

Try talking to the guests and residence...

LLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIVVVVVEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

A few question

Was everbody present in the room when the lights went out?

Was anybody hurt or was anything stolen during this time?

Did you recognise the person you saw outside?

sorry if these have already been asked and answered.

OK first, did you mean to say there were 6 guests? You listed 5 by name.

If everyone (5/6 guests plus 4 who live there) was in the foyer when the lights went out, then there must be at least one other unaccounted-for person.

Question to Jeeves: As the man came in (Jeeves let him in, and he "staggered") did you see/hear/smell anything odd? Did the man say or mumble or moan anything? Was the man coherent enough to have pressed the doorbell (or pulled the pull chain or whatever it was), or would somebody else have had to do it?

Question that Det. Spencer can answer: Is the house laid out in such a way that a single person could shut off the power at the fuse box and then be outside the window for Naomi to see in the time allotted?

Further, I'd have Det. Spencer check out the power lever and give as many details as he can discern from the residue on the handle (including, if applicable, smell).