BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

We rcvd this riddle at work and the link for the answer wont work and I am dying to know the answer:

A man in a restaurant asked a waiter for a juice glass, a dinner plate, water, a match, and a lemon wedge. The man poured

enough water onto the plate to cover it. "If you can get the water on the plate into the glass without touching or moving this

plate, I will give you $100, " the man said. "You can use the match and lemon to do this."

A few minutes later, the waiter walked away with $100 in his pocket. How did the waiter get the water into the glass?

I NEED THE ANSWER! THANKS

15 answers to this question

We rcvd this riddle at work and the link for the answer wont work and I am dying to know the answer:

A man in a restaurant asked a waiter for a juice glass, a dinner plate, water, a match, and a lemon wedge. The man poured

enough water onto the plate to cover it. "If you can get the water on the plate into the glass without touching or moving this

plate, I will give you $100, " the man said. "You can use the match and lemon to do this."

A few minutes later, the waiter walked away with $100 in his pocket. How did the waiter get the water into the glass?

Would it be possible to light the match and stick it in the lemon wedge and sit it on the plate, then cover it partially with the glass so that the fire sucks up all the air in the glass creating suction. Then slowly place the glass down on the plate while the suction draws water from the plate into the upside down glass. I have seen something similar to this performed as a relaxing technique where the suction cups are placed on a persons back. No idea if this would actually work though.

"HAHA...

First, the waiter stuck the match into the lemon wedge, so that it would stand straight. Then he lit the match, and put it in the middle of the plate with the lemon. Then, he placed the glass upside-down over the match. As the flame used up the oxygen in the glass, it created a small vacuum, which sucked in the water through the space between the glass and the plate. Thus, the waiter got the water into the glass without touching or moving the plate.

You can try this experiment at home with appropriate supervision."

by lelele from http://resources.alibaba.com

Hmm... My problem with it is... With what does he light the match?

The first answer is the best but it is not because "fire sucks up air" it would be because if you warm the air in the cup up it would expand and after the match is done and you drop the glass to the plate the air would shrink and suck up the water instead to replace the volume lost by the cooling air.

The first answer is the best but it is not because "fire sucks up air" it would be because if you warm the air in the cup up it would expand and after the match is done and you drop the glass to the plate the air would shrink and suck up the water instead to replace the volume lost by the cooling air.

Ah, that is how it works. Thank you, I thought that there was something wrong with my explanation.

Stick the match into the lemon and then light the match. Place it in the middle of the plate. Overturn the glass and cover the match-lemon apparatus. The light will use up the oxygen in the glass and creates a small vacuum which will draw the water in.

That was my initial thought too, but wouldn't the match burn out before all the water entered the cup?

by lelele from http://resources.alibaba.com

Hmm... My problem with it is... With what does he light the match?

"HAHA...

First, the waiter stuck the match into the lemon wedge, so that it would stand straight. Then he lit the match, and put it in the middle of the plate with the lemon. Then, he placed the glass upside-down over the match. As the flame used up the oxygen in the glass, it created a small vacuum, which sucked in the water through the space between the glass and the plate. Thus, the waiter got the water into the glass without touching or moving the plate.

You can try this experiment at home with appropriate supervision."

That was my initial thought too, but wouldn't the match burn out before all the water entered the cup?

I believe it would go out.

..set the glass upside-down on the plate, then use the match to set the restaurant on fire. While the building burns, the water on the plate will evaporate into the glass. Then take the lemon wedge and squirt the juice in the waiter's eyes, then simply empty his pockets to retrieve your $100. Ta-dah!

This is a variation on the old chemistry demonstration of getting a hard boiled egg into a milk bottle.

In this puzzle, you use the lemon wedge as a candlestick, to hold the match upright in the center of the dish while it burns. Light the match, (stuck in the lemon) and immediately place the glass upside down over it. As the match burns, it heats the air inside the glass. The heated air increases in pressure, and some is forced out from the bottom of the glass, escaping, leaving less air inside the glass. Once the oxygen is used up, and the match goes out, the air in the glass cools, and the pressure decreases. Since some of the air escaped during burning, with less air left, the pressure will be below atmospheric, and the outside air pressure will force some water into the glass, until thr pressure is equalized. ***A common misconception is that the decreased pressure is from the oxygen being used up in burning. However, for every molecule of oxygen used up in burning, a molecule of carbon dioxide is created. So, if there were no way for the air to escape, the amount of air after burning would be the same as at the beginning, although the composition would be different: more CO2, less O2. :)

ok...This might sound stupid...though never tried...he would first sqeeze out the lemon wedge....which would then act like a sponge...and slowly with time soak all the water and transfer it into the glass ?? (sounds damn slow i know, but could be a possible solution ?) ...this way you wont even need the matchstick :huh: