BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

It seems there is a lot of controversy over this topic on Brainden.... Understandable... Well I just mean spiritual as in God but also as in ghosts and things. What is your opinion?

• Answers 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It seems there is a lot of controversy over this topic on Brainden.... Understandable... Well I just mean spiritual as in God but also as in ghosts and things. What is your opinion?
re the original Q.

regarding the spiritual world. My understanding of spiritual would be based on something metaphysical, ontological, first philosophy... that can be grouped under the 'spirit redux' (my own phraseology). Bottom line for me so far - many people had trouble with mortality for various reasons, which includes the curious need to know, not accepting a 'final end', enlisting a do or die number of troops for ones own end lit.

Well the list can be expanded as well as the group of philosophy descriptions that try and 'nail it'.

To explain the unexplained is what it has boiled down to in the past. Now we have uncovered more facts and introduced a new philosophy called science, which is continuously evolving to prove and refine theories the likely hood of ghosts, spirits and other phenomenon have diminished.

As well as that i am supposedly growing older and becoming wiser and take it all for what it is - a choice!

I personally only want inner peace which I lost track of for a while but I'm tuning it back round.

To explain the unexplained is what it has boiled down to in the past.
But don't you think the whole point of the spiritual (and supernatural in general) is that it is unexplained, even unexplainable? If it were explainable, it would be natural. So people want to believe that there are unexplainable things out there, ie stuff that defies reason and logic. Why? So you have a convenient excuse not to bother with reason and logic any more, which, let's face it, can be hard work. I'd say it all comes down to laziness in the end.

Like, all of it?

...yes...I believe that there could have been a man named Jesus, that he lived in the time they claim, and that he may have had some 'abilities' that seemed supernatural 2 those of his time...I also believe that he was killed 4 his beliefs...but I do not believe he was the result of 'imaculate conception'...his parents just wern't married...I agree with the davinci code that he had [at least] one child and that there are still his decendants alive today...

"That seemed supernatural to those of his time"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Jesus not spit and throw mud at a blind man's eyes and he miraculousy was able to see again after. That doesn't "seem" to be supernatural, your implying that the people of that time were gullible enough to believe anything, and while I personally believe they were, my eye doctor doesn't spit in my eyes when I need a check-up (and I'm sure no one of that time did either.)..it was 'supernatural'.

his parents just wern't married
Heh..Jesus was a bastard just like me, oh such an honor! (Pardon my sarcasm, it is true though..so :P)

Since I started this thread, I should proboly add to it! :D. Anyway, here's what I belive about Jesus. The bible says Mary was a virgin. They also say she had a husband Joseph. Apparnetly Jesus was concieved by the holy spirit. I personally find this as confusing, as Jesus, the Father, and the Spirit are supposed to be One. So that means Jesus technically concieved himself. XD. Oh well. Thats the Mystery of our faith!

...yes...I believe that there could have been a man named Jesus, that he lived in the time they claim, and that he may have had some 'abilities' that seemed supernatural 2 those of his time...I also believe that he was killed 4 his beliefs...but I do not believe he was the result of 'imaculate conception'...his parents just wern't married...I agree with the davinci code that he had [at least] one child and that there are still his decendants alive today...

There is no evidence whatsoever suggesting the DaVinci code is even 1% fact.

There is no evidence whatsoever suggesting the DaVinci code is even 1% fact.

Well, the places are real? But yeah, I c'mon, it was on the freaking FICTION shelf.

Is anyone else with me when I say that bibles should be moved to the 'religious fiction' aisle in Barnes and Noble?

Andromeda, yeah, I'm gonna read all of them eventually. I'm thinking of picking up a copy of the Old Testament (English), and the New Testament (English, and if possible, Latin). ...Though I totally just went to Amazon to look up prices. *groans*

Atlantis, if I get it on tape, I won't be able to highlight the inconsistencies. :P

I was at one point planning to write a book (might do for NaNoWriMo this year) completely debunking the bible. It's probably already been done, but not by me, so yeah.

Here's just a hint. If you do go and write a book, good for you. I won't object. I believe in being very open. I am actually considering athiesism at the moment. But for know, I am hanging on to my faith. If there is one thing I learned about the bible, you can't take it literally, but rather symbolically.

Well, the places are real? But yeah, I c'mon, it was on the freaking FICTION shelf.

Is anyone else with me when I say that bibles should be moved to the 'religious fiction' aisle in Barnes and Noble?

I guess I have got one foot in that circle. Some of the bible IS ledgend.

There's a religous fiction asile? Probably were they keep all the Trekky stuff.

"That seemed supernatural to those of his time"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Jesus not spit and throw mud at a blind man's eyes and he miraculousy was able to see again after. That doesn't "seem" to be supernatural, your implying that the people of that time were gullible enough to believe anything, and while I personally believe they were, my eye doctor doesn't spit in my eyes when I need a check-up (and I'm sure no one of that time did either.)..it was 'supernatural'.

Heh..Jesus was a bastard just like me, oh such an honor! (Pardon my sarcasm, it is true though..so :P)

...haven't read the bible...don't kno all the 'mericles'...kno the 'healing of the sick'...but that's about it...

...haven't read the bible...don't kno all the 'mericles'...kno the 'healing of the sick'...but that's about it...

Jesus preformed a lot. His first was turning water into wine.

"That seemed supernatural to those of his time"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Jesus not spit and throw mud at a blind man's eyes and he miraculousy was able to see again after. That doesn't "seem" to be supernatural, your implying that the people of that time were gullible enough to believe anything, and while I personally believe they were, my eye doctor doesn't spit in my eyes when I need a check-up
They still have that treatment on the NHS. Medical practice must have moved on in the rest of the world. Mind you, in the UK the standard method of administering an anaesthetic is to hit you with a brick.

WHACK! "Are you asleep?"

"No"

WHACK! "Are you asleep now?"

"Yes! Just don't hit me again!"

In the beginning of the bible it says God made man out of the slime of the earth. He took dirt, and then, well, it had to be slime, so enter the saliva...

In the beginning of the bible it says God made man out of the slime of the earth. He took dirt, and then, well, it had to be slime, so enter the saliva...

Nuh-uh. Man was made out of dust.

Genesis 2:7 Then the LORD God formed the man out of te dust from the ground and breathed the breath of life into his nostrils, and man became a living being.

Meh, what's the point of photosynthesis if it works like that?

Genesis 2:5 No shrub of the field had yet [grown] on the land, and no plant of the field had yet sprouted..

Like, all of it?

*edit* Oh, I bought meh bible today. Christians, be afraid. :P

*edit again* Aww, I totally just read that thread I linked to. I was all atheist when I was 11. I totally don't remember that. :blush:

Be warned, there is more than one version of the Bible (Protestant Revolution), and also that not everyone believes in the Nicene Creed.

Nuh-uh. Man was made out of dust.

Genesis 2:7 Then the LORD God formed the man out of te dust from the ground and breathed the breath of life into his nostrils, and man became a living being.

Meh, what's the point of photosynthesis if it works like that?

Genesis 2:5 No shrub of the field had yet [grown] on the land, and no plant of the field had yet sprouted..

I've got a diffrent bible than you... I looked it up. My Gen. 2:7 actually reads "formed man out of the clay of the ground"

Not slime like i thought.... (hmmm.... i still seem to remember hearing that somewhere) Mine is the New American Bible, (the official catholic bible) I know in one version of the bible it reads slime... I will have to look it up in my king james version. I only have 2.... Maybe I will look it up online... but anyway, for the record, you need water (or saliva) to create clay...

For this kind of stuff BibleGateway.com comes in handy. More versions of the Bible than you can shake a stick at, and easily switchable too. Can't find one that says slime, though. You must have been thinking of primordial soup, CuteSpaklesGirl :D . Mmm, soup... time for my lunch...

Yay! I found out wat I ment. Okay. Here is the bible verse in Latin: 7 "Formavit igitur Dominus Deus hominem de limo terræ, et inspiravit in faciem ejus spiraculum vitæ, et factus est homo in animam viventem." Apparently, due to the fact Latin is such a rich language, it depends on your translastion. But yes, it can be translated as slime. Also, it refers to it as "slime" SOMEWHERE in the bible, I just don't recall.....

Oh, btw, we had some soup for dinner. Couldn't stop thinking about octopuppys post! :)

For this kind of stuff BibleGateway.com comes in handy. More versions of the Bible than you can shake a stick at, and easily switchable too. Can't find one that says slime, though. You must have been thinking of primordial soup, CuteSpaklesGirl :D . Mmm, soup... time for my lunch...

It actually sounds like one of those versions I found a while back, that tries to interpret the bible verses to best fit the current understanding (or "current" as the editors see it anyway.) I wish I could find it again, rather amusing, it did things like (although I don't recall the specifics) trying to equate dust/dirt/whatever as close to "primordial slime" as possible. :rolleyes:

Not well liked by a great number of Christians as I recall.

i do bvealave in God(s) i am a strong bleaver in the supernatral and the mythical too

To me it does not matter if you dont have a religion but I belawe that everyone need a highre power or high powers for me i belave multipal "Gods"

i an also a ferm belaver in Centaurian Hippogriphicampcanpire's if you do not know what it is please dont ask it will take to lonk to explane.

but i also am a sitentiest so when i am working in both math and scince it becomes only the things i can prove are true but theni finish and go back to being a belaver

do they really want 2 B...or have they been 'trained' to want to B...

i was rased Chalothic and my friend rased Jewish and we were rased to see eachother in a certin light just as were rased to see Hindues and all other religions as bad just like other religions are probely rased to veiw us in a certen light but when we got past the names and the preconceved notions my friend and i realised that are core beleafes were not really different

FYI: i am no longer alining with a chrch any more i am exploring the world of religion and trying to figure out ont that works best for me and if there are none out there then i will figure it out when it gets to that point