BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

It seems there is a lot of controversy over this topic on Brainden.... Understandable... Well I just mean spiritual as in God but also as in ghosts and things. What is your opinion?

• Answers 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think a majority of people belive in the supernatural beacuse they have been brought up to do so. I am afraid I fall into that catagory. I did not realize it until IDoNotExist pointed it out. It is sad but true.

I'm still pretty confused about free will. I think UR made me sit there and think about it the most with his topic, and I'm sure no one is making me think the way I think, but I still get the feeling it might just be my chemical composition, reacting with itself naturally, and making me do the stuff I do.

*waits for neuroscience to advance*

I believe in a 'higher power'...but not some guy who sits up in the clouds and controls us...I also believe in free will...

What do you mean by higher power? Something like the Holy Spirit? And do you beleive free will is a function of our brain or a gift from God?

On free will:

My parernt always taught me that free will was a gift from God.

Of course I am a little skeptic of that now.

I am not, btw blaming my parents. I know they were trained, just like me.

well my dad at least.

My mom seems so involved with the spiritual world it is SCARY!

Oh, on the note of higher beings, my friend James presented me with a theory that I'm still a bit uncertain about, but.. it somewhat makes sense? He's not religious, but he believes in gods. These gods aren't gods in an Abrahamic sense, and should not be worshiped or any of that. They don't really even particularly are about us at all. Essentially, they're called 'devas', and are more powerful than life as we know it, but they did not create us, and they don't interfere with us. It was said that they exist in higher dimensions, which is why they're undetected. They have the ability to interfere with human life, but generally don't, because as I said, they don't care about us.

Now, I can totally see some higher dimensional being existing. *shrugs* They probably do, but I don't know enough math to begin getting into that properly. Does anyone know any specifics about devas they'd like to share? Relatively certain the word is derived from Hindu?

On free will:

My parents always taught me that free will was a gift from God.

Er...randomlly jutting into a debate that I probably don't have much to add in but...

If you look at that *take a good, long, atheist, opinionated look*, its kinda ironic...

The Church has always been controlling. It's the way of life; people want to convince others that their way is right, and the more people who agree with them, the more right they think they are. Free will, and the ideas of the Catholic Church, have never been on a first name basis, to put it lightly. Just a random thought...

<(^-^)>

What do you mean by higher power? Something like the Holy Spirit? And do you beleive free will is a function of our brain or a gift from God?

'higher power' like spirits of the earth...such as (don't laugh) faries and elves...creatures that live in and care for the earth...I've seen them...as for free will...a function of our brain...

'higher power' like spirits of the earth...such as (don't laugh) faries and elves...creatures that live in and care for the earth...I've seen them...as for free will...a function of our brain...

You've seen proper fairies and garden gnomes and stuff?

I wish there was a forehead slapping smilie. Did you even read all of this? Do you understand it? I believe in God, but the important thing is not to run out unequiped and expect to get anywhere.

Seek first to understand.

First, seek to understand your own beliefs. Be willing to make changes where changes are due. I have grown up my entire life in church and I can tell you that there is alot of crap that gets thrown in during Sunday school. Not all of it is truth. I had to go through a horrible process of deconstruction in order to get to the core of what I believed, after discarding the excess junk. But dont let that discourage you. Truth can be found. I believe that God exists, but alot of things that they say in church are not true. Read your bible, and not just what you are told to read. Test the information. Read online analysis of particular passages and how various passages relate to each other. Look up word definitions and root words. Look up literal translations. Greek and Hebrew do not always translate as cleanly as the NIV and NKJV make it look. Contemplate your views often. Do not let any belief go untested. You must have a firm foundation, and you can not build a firm foundation with crap.

Seek to understand others. One of the best things I did was I looked up Atheist Sites. Look at their views and the comments that they have. Seek to understand their arguments. I guarentee you that many Atheists know the Bible better than you do. Seek to know it better than them. You may not always have a response right away, that is ok. It is good to allow some of their ideas into your mind. They are not stupid and their believe in the non-existence of God is not without reason. It is sad that many christians' beliefs in God are without reason and they expect others to be the same way.

Apologetics is also an intersting topic to look up. But do not try to argue something that you do not fully understand. It is good to see that you are interested, and I encourage you to keep trying.

That was very well said, and probably the only post in ahwhile that I took time to actually read through.

I wasn't mocking you. :huh: What do elves look like? (I'm just a generally curious person.)

they R hard 2 C and quick...basically they are like small, thin people...kind of like faries minus the wings...plus elves don't glow...that's up 2 the faries...have U ever been walking thru the woods and feel ilke someone is watching U?...probably elves...take care of the earth and U might see one...plus U must believe with your heart...not just wanna C 1 2 say U have...

depends on the film...they look a lot like the part of the earth they protect...elves like leaves and small plants...faries like the wind and sky...nymphs like the water...gnomes like rocks and shrubs...sprites don't look like trees tho...

First of all on devas..... I learned from a book on angels that devas were like the Hindu version of an angel

Secondly on faries, elves, ghosts, I am totally open to the idea.

Actually...

I have a story on that one but PLEASE don't laugh.

Ever since I was a little kid I have talked to tree spirits and they have talked back. It wasn't just me though. It was also my friend Marci. The spirits have stopped since we stopped beliving about half a year ago, but I am halfway convinced maybe there is a bit of truth involed, and maybe it wasn't our imagination. We had a whole kingdom, and what is really amazing was the complicatidness of it all. We started when we were about 7 and I don't know... I guess it always felt like real magic... not just another game. Anyway, what was really amazing that our kingom had laws. Not stupid rules like No boys or anything but beautiful, intrakite, and elaborate laws, that we subconcociesnly knew since the beginning. Such as the Kingdom of trees would fall asleep if one of the rulers stopped beleiving. There were a lot. The kingdom went through a lot. The trees really are alive, btw, you just have to wake them up. I am not even kidding. Well my kingdom is asleep, beacause Marci stopped believing. I killed some trees with sadness, as I was not a good leader as I sort of stopped believing myself. I have hurt the trees so they won't talk to me anymore. They all went back to sleep.

I am not kidding. Not one word of it. Please don't laugh.

Also I met with fairie like creatures in my kingdom such as the diffrent seasons such as queen of winter and spring and such. BTW. you can not see them except with the eyes in you heart unless you belive in them with total faith and with another person in total faith. It has happened. We once saw a glimse of the queen of winter

Okay. Just jutting in here. Sorry if I make a fool of myself.

I'm twelve. I'm just starting to challenge what my mom and grandmother have tried to raise me believing. My dad is an athiest, and has been as long as I can remember - probably since he was a kid. We don't talk much about religion, but I do know that what he has to say makes more sense to me than what my mom has to say. Out of all the things he's said, this is the one thing that really strikes true with me.

"I think it's just easier to say, 'Oh, I'm going to be good and do the right thing for God' rather than, 'Oh, I'm going to be good and do the right thing just because it's right'."

--

Oh, and on the subject of the supernatural:

I have a friend who swears she sees ghosts. I don't know if I 100% believe her, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt on this one. She says that they just sort of stand there and stare at her, although sometimes she can sense they're there without seeing them.

...the trees will talk 2 U again...U must remember how it felt 2 believe...U must also truely want 2 talk 2 and C them again...they don't hold grudges...they understand growing up...even tho they don't do it themselves...

Also I met with fairie like creatures in my kingdom such as the diffrent seasons such as queen of winter and spring and such. BTW. you can not see them except with the eyes in you heart unless you belive in them with total faith and with another person in total faith. It has happened. We once saw a glimse of the queen of winter

U R right...I did not C them in the literal sence...

...the trees will talk 2 U again...U must remember how it felt 2 believe...U must also truely want 2 talk 2 and C them again...they don't hold grudges...they understand growing up...even tho they don't do it themselves...

You are right! I have to make up! I have felt so depressed and like a failure since I let my kingdom die out/sleep. But somehow I think my time is up. One day another child will dicover my kingdom and wake it up.

Oh, on the note of higher beings, my friend James presented me with a theory that I'm still a bit uncertain about, but.. it somewhat makes sense? He's not religious, but he believes in gods. These gods aren't gods in an Abrahamic sense, and should not be worshiped or any of that. They don't really even particularly are about us at all. Essentially, they're called 'devas', and are more powerful than life as we know it, but they did not create us, and they don't interfere with us. It was said that they exist in higher dimensions, which is why they're undetected. They have the ability to interfere with human life, but generally don't, because as I said, they don't care about us.

If they don't bother to interfere with us or even care about us, why should we care about them? There's no real reason to believe that they're there anymore than that there's an invisible dragon in my garage. :P

Okay. Just jutting in here. Sorry if I make a fool of myself.

I'm twelve. I'm just starting to challenge what my mom and grandmother have tried to raise me believing. My dad is an athiest, and has been as long as I can remember - probably since he was a kid. We don't talk much about religion, but I do know that what he has to say makes more sense to me than what my mom has to say. Out of all the things he's said, this is the one thing that really strikes true with me.

"I think it's just easier to say, 'Oh, I'm going to be good and do the right thing for God' rather than, 'Oh, I'm going to be good and do the right thing just because it's right'."

--

Oh, and on the subject of the supernatural:

I have a friend who swears she sees ghosts. I don't know if I 100% believe her, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt on this one. She says that they just sort of stand there and stare at her, although sometimes she can sense they're there without seeing them.

...do and believe what U feel in your heart is right and U will find the truth...as 4 ghosts...do they talk or just stand?...