BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

15 answers to this question

2.5 degrees

5 minutes after 1 is 5/60 of the way to the next hour, so the hour hand will be 5/60 of the way between the 1 and 2. 360 degrees divided by 12 hours equals 30 degrees per hour division (ie between the 1 and 2).

(5/60)*30=2.5

Edited by dwilly

what is the angle between the hour and the minuet hand at 1:05 (not a digital clock!)

doh, did it first for 12:05 :huh:

Then even did it wrong again...

Need to sleep more.

60 minutes = 360 degrees

1 minute = 6 degrees

5 minutes = 30 degrees

Hour hand moves 30 degrees each hour elapsed, so...

Hour had has moved 30 degrees divided by 12

2.5 degrees?

Edited by theharangue

what is the angle between the hour and the minuet hand at 1:05 (not a digital clock!)

If the question is the angle between the hour hand and the minute hand at 1:05 then I do not think the answer can be 2.5 degrees. If you assume the hour hand does not move then the minute hand would be 30 deg to the hour hand at 1:05. As the hour hand moves at 1/12 the rate of the minute hand it moves 30/12 or 2.5 degrees. The difference is then 30 -2.5 = 27.5 deg. Am i missing something here?

If the question is the angle between the hour hand and the minute hand at 1:05 then I do not think the answer can be 2.5 degrees. If you assume the hour hand does not move then the minute hand would be 30 deg to the hour hand at 1:05. As the hour hand moves at 1/12 the rate of the minute hand it moves 30/12 or 2.5 degrees. The difference is then 30 -2.5 = 27.5 deg. Am i missing something here?

I believe their is a mistake in that

that their would already be 30 degrees in the hour hand PLus the 2.5. So the difference should be 32.5-30.0=2.5 degrees.

Yes I am missing the fact that it is 1:05 not 12:05...duh!!!! 2.5 is correct

I'd say it's around 25 degrees because the hour hand would not move that much from the o-clock position after 5 minutes. The exact rate I do not know...

And also, the angle between the o-clock position and the :05 position is 30 degrees (360/12)

Edited by BoschDude

I'd say it's around 25 degrees because the hour hand would not move that much from the o-clock position after 5 minutes. The exact rate I do not know...

And also, the angle between the o-clock position and the :05 position is 30 degrees (360/12)

I made a similar mistake and thought it was 12:05. If you think about the 1:05 position the hour and minute hand would almost be one on top of each other (both pointing at the 1) or zero degrees. However you know the hour hand moved just slightly past the minute hand at this point, as it has started on its way to the 2:00 o'clock position. How much did it move? We know that every 12 hours it makes 1 complete revolution, while the minute hand had made 12 complete revolutions during that same period. So it rotates at 1/12 the rate of the minute hand. In 5 minutes the minute hand rotates 30 deg and the hour hand just 30/12 or 2.5 degrees. So this is how far ahead it got.