BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Boredom Riddle

Shakeepuddn

Question

Worms in my head to my toe;

“Get them out!” I so long to shout.

And I’ve sure been around for awhile—

Just check out at my throat! Do you wonder I choke?

Hindering spirit both lively and old,

I stop all the fun, and it takes only one.

I’m so bored with the carousal punch,

So leave me alone, my work here is done!

I’m just wishing that I could go fishing,

(So I can show you the fish hot on the dish!)

:P

• Answers 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Dragons and screws and helical shapes.

Mean awful folk who act like apes!

The way to twist rope, when out at sea,

Woeful regret that gnaws you and me.

Worm drives in submarines and "worming" rope in the nautical sense get my vote, bused on what I know aobut the author, but I can't seem to fit them in to the riddle.

Hope this all helps.

The worm is gnawing at you I see. I suggest a thorough search on the possible meanings of a worm.

Good luck.

The Worms from TREMORS

lol, still looking.

I noticed that some instruments use the Worm Wheel for their tuning. Looking more into that now.

Various interpretations....

Worms from our heads to our toes, Are we worms OR do we have worms from our heads to our toes?

“Get them out!” we long to shout., Get what out? Worms OR some other 'them'

And we’ve sure been around for awhile— Meaning a long time, or around in a circle?

Just check out our throats! See how we choke? Metaphorical?

Hindering spry spirit and old,

We stop all the fun (though it only takes one).

We’re so bored with the carousal punch,

Now leave us alone, our work here is done!

We're just wishing that we could go fishing,

(and we’ll show you the fish hot on the dish!) <---??

Edited by IDoNotExist

Looking at this in a more grammatical fashion and realinging the sentences based on puntcuation and not capitals and line breaks we get this:

Worms from our heads to our toes, “Get them out!” we long to shout.

[First I was thinking of a corpse being "worm meat" but then I started considering engines here as well, perhaps we are not trying to get the worms out? But grammatically it seems so.]

And we’ve sure been around for awhile— Just check out our throats!

[Old, aged? What your're doing wears out the throat? Throat has lots of applications.]

See how we choke?

[You also choke an engine to start it]

Hindering spry spirit and old, We stop all the fun (though it only takes one).

[This seems to be the heart of the riddle, to me, yet I get the least out if it]

We’re so bored with the carousal punch, Now leave us alone, our work here is done!

[i am drawn to the interaction between bored and punch. Boring a hole with a awl (a punch) seems to be a good fit. The rest though is lost on me.]

We're just wishing that we could go fishing, (and we’ll show you the fish hot on the dish!)

[i get nothing from this at all. Certainly a final clue, but it seems to hardly fit the others. Why is the second part of the phrase in parenthesis. Grammatically it is not called for]

Some kind of mechanical post holer, for making a fence?

is it the horse things on a carousel? the worm could metaphoricaly mean the large bar/pipe that goes through them. thier tired of going in circles so they want to be free and... mabye eat fish?

I have to tell you Shakee, this one is driving me nuts. It gives me that frustrating "Tip of the tongue" feeling every time I read it it.

So what I know so far. Comparing Shakee's first edit and the final edit and comments:

1=First edit

2=Second edit

[shakee said, "This ones kind of easy". So I assume we are missing an obvious reference or Shakee is a sadist.]

1) Worms in my head to my toe; “Get them out!” I so long to shout.

2) Worms from our heads to our toes, “Get them out!” we long to shout.

[Corpse, fishing, and engine references have gotten no love, so that leaves me thinking wormholes or such. But that is a bad fit with his newest hint. Also "I suggest a thorough search on the possible meanings of a worm", said Shakee. Edit basically pluralizes the answer or object of the riddle.]

1) And I’ve sure been around for awhile— Just check out at my throat!

2) And we’ve sure been around for awhile—Just check out our throats!

[Around? A round or actually rather old? Throats refers to too many things for me to get a good lead here. Again, edit just pluralizes.]

1) Do you wonder I choke?

2) See how we choke?

[Choke is either getting choked, something stuck in your throat, or starting an engine. Note: he has changed this line from

"Just check out at my throat! Do you wonder I choke?"

to

"Just check out my throat! Do you wonder I choke?"

to a final version of

"Just check out our throats! See how we choke?"

Three edits clearly shows this is a key passage, and that Shakee thinks these changes should help us. The first is obviously just a typo correction, the second a definate change in wording from 'wonder' to 'see'. More pluralizing.]

1) Hindering spirit both lively and old, I stop all the fun, and it takes only one.

2) Hindering spry spirit and old, we stop all the fun (though it only takes one).

[shakee said, "You are wise to focus on the "spry spirit and old line." Here we get the first edit that is not just pluralizing. Shakee changes 'spirit lively and old' to 'spry spirit and old'. He decides to make the last bit parenthetical rather than a conjunctive phrase.]

1) I’m so bored with the carousal punch, So leave me alone, my work here is done!

2) We’re so bored with the carousal punch, Now leave us alone, our work here is done!

[i said, "I am drawn to the interaction between bored and punch. Boring a hole with a awl (a punch) seems to be a good fit." And this made Shakee say, "You are on right track with the bore line of thought." Also when asked if this was "carousel or carousal" we got no response. I assume then that "carousal" is correct. "Carousal" is a noun form of carouse. "Carouse means ~1: archaic : a large draft of liquor : toast

2: a drunken revel. Edit is just pluralizing.]

1) I’m just wishing that I could go fishing, (So I can show you the fish hot on the dish!)

2) We're just wishing that we could go fishing, (and we’ll show you the fish hot on the dish!)

[Again the edit just pluralizes]

[shakee's big hint: "AVA seal of approval" You can google it yourself, and the AVA is the American Volkssport Association which focuses on "At your own" pace sporting events. The bulk of which is speed walking...at your own pace.]

So I get Non-conventional worms, a plural answer, old and throated, a change from "lively" to "agile" in spirits that are hindered, fun ending, hole making, drunken revelry and cooking fish? I just can't put it together.

Edited by theharangue