BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Here is a first go for you in the puzzles. I would have liked to show the actual dice throws on here in picture form, but im not sure how so i have written the numbers on the dice next the the roll number. Sorry about that.

Petals Around the Rose

The name of the game is Petals Around the Rose. Newcomers to the game can be told that much. They can also be told that every answer is zero or an even number. They can also be told the answer for every throw of the dice that are used in the game. And that's all the information they get.

The person who has the dice and knows the game, rolls five dice and remarks almost instantly on the answer.

For example: in Roll #1 the answer is two.

Roll #1:- 4, 1, 6, 3, 6

"The answer is what?" says the new player.

"Two."

"On that roll?"

"Yes."

"Would it still be two if I moved the dice without turning any of them over, just rearranging the pattern?"

"I can tell you only three things: the name of the game, the fact that the answer is always even, and the answer for any particular throw. In this case the answer is two."

"So that's how it is. What am I supposed to do?"

"You're supposed to tell me the answer before I tell you. I'll give you all the time you want, but don't tell me your theory, just the answer. If you figure it out, you don't want to give the idea away to these other jokers around you. Make them work for the answers, too. If you get the answer right on six successive rolls, I'll take that as prima facie evidence that you understand the game."

"OK, roll again."

Roll #2:- 5, 6, 5, 4, 4

"I give up. What's the answer?"

"The answer is eight."

"Roll again."

Roll #3:- 3, 5, 5, 5, 6

The answer is fourteen.

Roll #4:- 2, 6, 2, 1, 4

The answer is zero.

Roll #5:- 4, 3, 2, 1, 3

The answer is four.

Roll #6:- 6, 5, 6, 2, 2

So what is the answer to Roll #6, and why?

Can you figure out the game?

An integral part of the puzzle is that those who have solved it are urged to keep the solution a secret, it is not a hard puzzle to figure out however.

A claim that often accompanies these instructions is that the smarter an individual, the greater amount of difficulty the individual will have in solving it. If such a statement is true, it may be attributed to the fact that "smarter" people tend to be more knowledgeable in a wide range of information that they may unnecessarily attempt to draw upon to solve the puzzle.

19 answers to this question

The most important bit for me was the title - although Petals around the Receptacle (though less catchy) would be more accurate.

The title was the most important part for me to figure it out...

I've played a couple of party games like this...it's always fun to see people get so frustrated with them in person. One uses toothpicks and one uses playing cards. Great game to add. Thanks for posting

Yeah, this is much easier to figure out with a visual. As a frequent gamer, I have to say the number style of the dice matters.

But you can only get that if your dice have pips instead of numerals.

Cute game.

I've always hated this one ;)

the sum of the non-center spots on all the die ("the petals around the rose"), if I recall correctly

Almost...it's the sum of the non-center spots on all the die when there is a center dot. So, basically 2, 4, and 6 = 0 (since there is no center dot)...and 1 = 0 (since no surrounding)..which leaves 3 = 2, 5 = 4...

The game I've done with toothpicks is different, but another fun party game. basically you use toothpicks to start drawing numbers on the table...and asking what number people see. ...eventually you just start randomly throwing toothpicks on the table and asking what number it is. The "trick" is you point to the number or leave your hands on the table (away from the toothpicks) and whatever number of fingers you have on the table is the answer...So it really has nothing to do with the toothpicks. It just takes some people forever to realize that you're showing the number with your fingers and it doesn't have to do with toothpicks

it is simply the sum of the odd numbers minus the quantity of odd numbers.....a roll of 35214 would have a total of 9 (3+5+1) and have 3 odd numbers....9-3 = 6

Ilike the fact that there is a mathematical answer to this too. Having said that though the more obvious answer that most have got now makes it more fun.

Well done all, sorry if that was a frustrating one, will make it a more logical one next time. Just trying not to repeat previous ones.