BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Five eighty-sixed

A silent mechanic is one

A guitar missing three is three

Gabriel’s hammer is one

Golden boy's nod is one, a little early, but still there

And one touch you will never see, for it is three, but one over the pond.

Never done before or since?

For five was one in the beginning.

17 answers to this question

something to do with gaming?

Not at all!

(I'm glad you are trying this one, I was inspired by you after pulling my hair out on your submarine riddle. I don't know if my first attempt is any good or not. But I aimed for your level of difficulty. :lol: )

"And one touch you will never see, for it is three, but one over the pond." is referring to the holy trinity, three entities actually being one god

the rest i'm still pondering

should i be thinking about something specific like shakee's submarine riddle or something a little more general

Five eighty-sixed

A silent mechanic is one

Gabriel’s hammer is one

the big bang theory? 5 eighty-sixed can be types of animals being created, silent mechanic is one related to one God guitar missing three is three, trinity but golden boy can be Adam, one touch you will never see again, God and for it is three, again, mention trinity that contain one God over pond, earth is 75 percent water. God never had created earth before and five was one in beginning, i am guessing five people, all one family, Adam, Eve, Cain, Abel and Sean, five people, one family.

the big bang theory? 5 eighty-sixed can be types of animals being created, silent mechanic is one related to one God guitar missing three is three, trinity but golden boy can be Adam, one touch you will never see again, God and for it is three, again, mention trinity that contain one God over pond, earth is 75 percent water. God never had created earth before and five was one in beginning, i am guessing five people, all one family, Adam, Eve, Cain, Abel and Sean, five people, one family.

I knew this term from working at a restaurant and so I looked it up on Wikipedia. Here is the description:

Spoiler for Wiki: 86:

The term "86" in a bar, nightclub, gentleman's club etc. refers to the status of a person who is no longer welcome at or legally able to enter the establishment. A person who has been "eighty-six'd" has been kicked out of the establishment, usually permanently. The most common reasons for a customer to be permanently removed from an establishment like a bar or club is inappropriate behavior inside the establishment.

Also in restaurant / bar terminology "86" is a phrase that is used internally between employees to communicate to each other that a specific food or beverage item is sold out or out of stock. I.e. "we are 'eighty-six' crab cakes" means that the establishment is sold out of crab cakes. The term is widely used in many restaurants, yet its origin is unknown.

Perhaps this is refering to 5 people who are no longer welcome. Shakeepuddn mentioned the band 'Genesis' with many of their titles in the riddle. Apparently they went through a few members.

deaftigerwarrior, your answer about the earth being covered in water reminded me there are 5 oceans on this planet. All of which were one in the beginning of time before pangaea broke off into the continents we know of today. Also Water has 3 molecules in its chemical formula. It also has 3 phases: solid, liquid, gas. Water in the air cannot be seen, but is over a pond which can be made up of the other 2 phases, liquid and ice.

OK, so admittedly I peeked but saw same hints...

Was the band Genesis who appear to be referenced as follows:

Five eighty-sixed [now broken up]

A silent mechanic is one [Mike Rutherford,also of Mike and the Mechanics]

A guitar missing three is three [unsure here- Rutherford was main guitarist- Hackett maybe?]

Gabriel’s hammer is one [Peter Gabriel, lead singer and solo "Sledgehammer" fame]

Golden boy's nod is one, a little early, but still there [Anthony Philips? blond but played guitar so may not be here- Phil Collins kept beat (nod?) on drums for most of Genesis' work]

And one touch you will never see, for it is three, but one over the pond.[Tony Banks- touch on keyboards?]

OK, so admittedly I peeked but saw same hints...

Was the band Genesis who appear to be referenced as follows:

Five eighty-sixed [now broken up]

A silent mechanic is one [Mike Rutherford,also of Mike and the Mechanics]

A guitar missing three is three [unsure here- Rutherford was main guitarist- Hackett maybe?]

Gabriel’s hammer is one [Peter Gabriel, lead singer and solo "Sledgehammer" fame]

Golden boy's nod is one, a little early, but still there [Anthony Philips? blond but played guitar so may not be here- Phil Collins kept beat (nod?) on drums for most of Genesis' work]

And one touch you will never see, for it is three, but one over the pond.[Tony Banks- touch on keyboards?]

so if the genesis line of thought is correct, what's the answer if shakee or archimedes is not correct? I'm not sure what the riddle is asking if they aren't right...

Five eighty-sixed

A silent mechanic is one

Gabriel’s hammer is one

I apologize Wwwyzzerdd, perhaps it would be clearer to change the line to "What was never done before or since?"

That was the only line with a question mark, as such that is what I am looking for.

To be even more specific, I am looking for a real life feat or record.

What did the "Five was one in the beginning" do that is referenced in this riddle?

Archimedes is hot on the trail. :P

Edited by theharangue

Bravo!

This was my first attempt. I will have a better one next time.

Only for the "bored" = Billboard charts

Five eighty-sixed = 5 acts in 1986

A silent mechanic is one = Mike (Rutherford) and the Mechanics song Silent Running Number One on a Billboard chart

A guitar missing three is three = GTR (Guitar minus three letters) featuring Steve Hackett, charts at number 3

Gabriel’s hammer is one = Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer is a Number One hit

Golden boy's nod is one, a little early, but still there = Phil Collins has a Oscar Nominated song in '86, first charted number one in '85

And one touch you will never see, for it is three, but one over the pond. = Genesis's Invisible Touch charts Number 3 in US and Number 1 in UK

Never done before or since? 5 acts chart in the top 3 in the same year that all came from the same band

For five was one in the beginning. = 5 acts that all started in Genesis

Overall, an amazing run for a group of former bandmates. All of the acts actually charted multiple songs, with several charting multiple top tens. To the best of my knowledge it has never been done before or since.