BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Masterword

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the discovery of a "rosetta stone" can really influence the solve time, but I also think the number of available words per number of letters peaks at around 7/8/9 so maybe guessing a 12 will be similar to a 5 ?

ABRACADABRAS - ? (think I need an eliminator)

paraphrasers - xxo

independence - xxooo

corroborator - x

crosshatched - xooo

chimneypiece - xxxoo

lovelessness - xxxxxxxxxo

abracadabras - xo

Sorry, that wasn't the magic word.

paraphrasers - xxo

independence - xxooo

corroborator - x

crosshatched - xooo

chimneypiece - xxxoo

lovelessness - xxxxxxxxxo

abracadabras - xo

lovesickness - xxxxxooo

CLUELESSNESS - ?

The change between lovelessness and lovesickness is the removal of 'les' (replaced by ick) and the move of an 's' to a new position (eight letters remain unchanged). The score change is the loss of 4x and the gain of 'oo' - the loss of 4x must be the 4 letters changed and the gain must be one of the introduced letters with the relocated s or two of the introduced letters.

Therefore, ????LESS???? is proven and all of the words in this format that I'm aware of end with NESS so the score for lovelessness must be 8x for ????lessness and love???????? is 'xo'.

This means that the gain of 'oo' (for lovesickness) must be for one of the introduced letters (ick) with the relocated 's'.

This in combination with corroborator means corr????????=x and as crosshatched=xooo has 'ooo' accounted for by ????lessness means cros????????=x, the only way these two conditions can be met (with the 'ick' clue above) is if C is the first letter so c???lessness is now proven (which matches paraphraSErS=xxo & abraCadabraS=xo).

c???lessness proven with indepEndENCe=xxooo means that ?NDE????????=x

ChimNEypiEce=xxxoo requires that one of hiMYpiCE are in one of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th positions but HPI & E are ruled out by paraphrasers, independence & crosshatched leaving MYCE

Structurally the only thing that makes sense is c??Elessness and the options I'm aware of for this are restricted to carelessness or cluelessness (although there may be other more obscure options) and with the remaining score for lovelessness (love???????? is 'xo') means only CLUE fits.

Edited by WombatBreath