BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

walkin on water.

Question

A whole village crowded together at the edge of the lake, they all came for a common purpose.

To see the man who could walk on water.

Many bets were placed, many a dreamer imagined striking it rich on the enourmous sums of money they would win.

The man then took this legendary step from the edge of the bridge onto the water.

He used no artificial tools.

He only had him and the clothes on his back.

Yet he stayed above the surface of the water and could walk around without a thought.

How did he do it??

wait a sec. how do you walk, or do anything, without thinking, and if i was walking on ice i would be scared that i might fall in and would be looking out for cracks and other weaknesses

You do many things without thinking. They are called reflexes or instincts. When you type, do you have to think about each individual key? (If so, then keep practicing.) Another example is keeping your balance on a motorcycle. If you think about it too much, it actually becomes harder than just going with it.

And I'm guessing you aren't from the north.

The lake was frozen, but then THE MAN IS WALKING ON THE ICE NOT WATER...you should say, "walking on the lake"

Ahhh, I beg to differ. Ice is water; it is merely a different state of water. The statement that the man is walking on water is technically correct, albeit misleading.

One thing though, the puzzles specifically states that he was ABOVE the surface of the water. If it were ice, he would be ON the surface of the water. I believe a more appropriate explanation is that it was a dry lake, in which the water table is under the ground. Thus by walking on the dry lake bed, the man easily stayed above the water. Of course, this just depends on how literally you take the words.

I want to know who makes bets and dreams of a huge winning payout about whether somebody can walk on ice? I'll put £50 on "yes they can" please.

:D

I agree with glennji here, who would bet if someone could walk on ice

The lake was frozen, but then THE MAN IS WALKING ON THE ICE NOT WATER...you should say, "walking on the lake"

If there is a need to get technical - when ice is subject to direct pressure, like someone's foot, it melts. So the man was actually walking on liquid water - assuming a reasonable winter temperature.

May be all the people ware there to see if the man will fall into the water,because he was walking not sliding over the ice.The chances the ice to crack when you walk over it are much bigger then if you slide.May be that was the actual bet-if he can walk through the lake,without the ice to break and fall into the water.

Ice is water

Only in a very technical sense, and one which - in its infrequent real life usage - is always extremely clear from context.

Can someone abuse the fact that "water" has different meanings in different contexts? Sure. Does it change an otherwise clever riddle into a rather clumsy hack? You betcha.

The sad thing is that an excellent alternative was suggested (use "lake" in place of "water"), but nobody seems to care. The first time I ever heard a variant of this riddle, the wording was similar and the result was a good brain teaser.

This riddle, like so many other jokes and riddles passed from one person to another, has been corrupted and lost the essence of what really makes it good. Somebody please fix it!

If there is a need to get technical - when ice is subject to direct pressure, like someone's foot, it melts. So the man was actually walking on liquid water - assuming a reasonable winter temperature.

Technically, to get enough melting to justify your statement, you are counting on ice just at the cold side of the melting point (say 30F to about 31.9F) and a heavy foot. Otherwise, you run into these problems:

• If the foot is too light, it won't possibly melt enough during the brief period of contact to span his entire foot.
  • If the ice is much colder, it won't melt without significantly higher pressure.
  • If the pressure is too high, no human foot could supply it.

Finally, ice warm enough to melt from a human foot is probably too thin to support him.

Your idea seems to require excessive restrictions in order to be plausible, and even then it may not be realistic. Ice skates melt ice because of pressure focused in extremely narrow bands. But a foot is too wide to get the same effect.

Also, what is "reasonable" depends entirely on the location, time of year, and other standard factors.

Ice is NOT water, by tehcnical definition. Ice is H2O in solid state, while water is H2O in liquid state. They have the same chemical composition but different molecular structures.

And by real-life definition, the two things are also not equivalent. Would you ask someone to put water in your soft drink if what you want is ice? Would you call an ice-sculpture a water-sculpture? If a cooking recipe tells you to melt some sugar with water, would you try to melt it with ice and argue that water and ice are the same?

If not, then how can anyone say walking on ice is the same as walking on water?