BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

bonanova

Question

Ten Brain Denizens had a shared dream of competing for Grand PooBah Puzzle Master of all time.

They all achieved different scores on a set of ten 10-point puzzles: five multiple-choice [A, B, C, D, E] and five True-False.

Just as they finished, you joined the dream and persuaded the proctors to let you compete.

You were given an official answer form, but as a handicap for arriving late you were not permitted to read the puzzles.

Who won the Grand Prize?

Oh yah, here are the others' answers:

Denizen........ 1 2 3 4 5 | 6 7 8 9 10

======================================

Cherry Lane.... C C B D D | T F F F F

d3k3........... A C D E A | F T F F F

HoustonHokie... A B E C B | T F T T T

Izzy........... C D A E B | T F F F F

nobody......... C C E D A | F T F F F

Prime.......... C E A C E | F F T T T

Prof. Templeton A B A C E | T F F T T

reaymond....... B B D C A | T F F F F

Shakeepuddn.... E E C C B | T T T T T

woon........... A B C C D | F F F T T

If your name appears in the list, not to worry; consider this a second chance.

Higher score counts. ;)

20 answers to this question

There are 11 possible scores 0,1,2...10, 10 denizens so must be one with minimum score of 9 and one with 8, means 2 with at least 8 correct.....but cannot find 2 with 8 answers the sames ??...still working on it

There are 11 possible scores 0,1,2...10, 10 denizens so must be one with minimum score of 9 and one with 8, means 2 with at least 8 correct.....but cannot find 2 with 8 answers the sames ??...still working on it

Can't a score be shared by two denizens? In the question I didn't see such a restriction. If there is, it is not so obvious for me :mellow:

we all got different scores, so therfore we know that 9 of us got 1 right, 8 got 2 right and so on.

From that we know that 2 of us got at least 8 right so if we can find some scores that all have at least "x" answers correct then we can go from there. Repeat and eventually we will know who won. I doubt this is the right way to do it, and knowing Bonanova there will be an elegant solution to this, but trial and error always seems to work for me... :P

I hope I'm wrong.

According to my guess

The order is:

From zero to 9 points:

(so that I'm first :) )

nobody

dkd3

cherry lane

Izzy

reaymond

shakepuddn

woo

Prime

HoustenHokie

Prof.Templeton

Edited by nobody

Ten Brain Denizens had a shared dream of competing for Grand PooBah Puzzle Master of all time.

They all achieved different scores on a set of ten 10-point puzzles: five multiple-choice [A, B, C, D, E] and five True-False.

Just as they finished, you joined the dream and persuaded the proctors to let you compete.

You were given an official answer form, but as a handicap for arriving late you were not permitted to read the puzzles.

Who won the Grand Prize?

Oh yah, here are the others' answers:

Denizen........ 1 2 3 4 5 | 6 7 8 9 10

======================================

Cherry Lane.... C C B D D | T F F F F

d3k3........... A C D E A | F T F F F

HoustonHokie... A B E C B | T F T T T

Izzy........... C D A E B | T F F F F

nobody......... C C E D A | F T F F F

Prime.......... C E A C E | F F T T T

Prof. Templeton A B A C E | T F F T T

reaymond....... B B D C A | T F F F F

Shakeepuddn.... E E C C B | T T T T T

woon........... A B C C D | F F F T T

If your name appears in the list, not to worry; consider this a second chance.

Higher score counts. ;)

Prof.Templeton.

HoustonHokie...

Prime..........

woon...........

Shakeepuddn....

reaymond.......

Izzy...........

CherryLane.....

d3k3...........

nobody.........

Prof.Templeton won with 9 points

Phew! That was hard work. Here's my reasoning - I hope someone has a simpler way...

One notable thing about the results is the lack of similarity.

The most similar pairs are d3k3/nobody, Hokie/Templeton or Templeton/woon, both of which have 7 in common.

If one were 100% correct then the next highest score would have to be at least 80%, (mine being 90%), so there would be 8 in common. This is not so, therefore I am the PooBah (as befits me), and one of these pairs is the 90%/80% score.

The 90% score would have to have 6 answers in common with the 70% score and 5 in common with the 60% score. That rules out d3k3 and nobody.

Correct answers: AB?C??F?TT

Everybody except nobody got one of these right, so nobody got the zero score.

Nobody's answers allow us to fill in the last 5:

AB?C?TFTTT

woon needs Q3 and Q5 right to score 80%, but if he got them right then Templeton didn't. So woon and Templeton cannot be the 90%/80% pair. That must be Hokie/Templeton.

10% d3k3

20%/30% Cherry/Izzy

40% reaymond

50%/60%/70% Prime/Shakee/woon

80%/90% Hokie/Templeton

Note the Templeton's answers to 3 & 5 are the same as Prime's.

Templeton must get at least 1 right to be on 80%. If he gets only 1 right then Prime's score is 60%. So Shakee gets 50% and woon 70%. That means Shakee gets both Q3 and Q5 wrong and woon gets one right. woon must have got Q5 right since they have the same answer for Q3.

That makes the answers ABACDTFTTT, which doesn't work since Cherry and Izzy both get 30%.

The only other possibility is that Templeton gets both Q3 and Q5 right:

ABACETFTTT

Ok, I am trying this one.

Prof Templeton!

reason:

I assume BDs are smart enough to answer questions correctly the most, so I look at the possibility by logic of “Who is not won”.

Q1: (4A, 1B, 4C and 1E) who answer B or E should not be the one who won ! (reaymond and shakepuddin)

Q2: 4B, 3C, 1D and 2 E, who answer D? Izzy, (so cannot be Izzy)

Q3: 3A, 1B, 2C, 2D, 2E, who answer B? CL (so cannot be CL)

Q4: 6C, 2D and 2E, can’t really tell from here.

Q5: 3A, 3B, 2D and 2E, can’t really tell from here too.

Q6: 6T and 4 F, so assume answer should be T, then d3k3, nobody, prime and me answer wrong

Q7: 3T 7F, so assume answer should be F, then d3k3, shakepuddin, nobody answer wrong

Q8: 3T, 7F again, so houstonhokie, prime and shakepuddin who answer T shoud be wrong.

Q9 and Q10 has 5T and 5F, hard to tell!

So through out this finding, only Prof Templeton is not mentioned in “who is not’ theory.

I suggest Prof Templeton won the puzzle!

Spoiler for For those who are still not convinced, I have an easier reason to the answer:

He has the title of Professor! :P

Who won the competition?

If Prof T. got 9 right and Nobody got 0, then any answer they share in common has to be the one that Prof. T got wrong.

Therefore, I submit Prof. T.'s answers but I change #8 to T to score a perfect 10!

Does the Grand PooBah get a special hat or anything? B)) edit: Of course he does! I'm already wearing it! :lol:

Edited by Grayven

Looking at the probabilities, I made the following educated guess;

1: A/C

2: B/C

3: A (40%) C/E (30%)

4: C

5: A/B

6: T (60%) F (40%)

7: F

8: F

9: 50% each

10: 50% each

Assigning each answer by denizen a certain "point";

1. Prof Templeton

2. Woon

3. reaymond

4. HoustonHookie

5. Izzy

6. Cherry Lane

7. Prime

8. nobody

9. d3k3

10. Shakeepuddn

It would be easier, if there were less contestants. Nice puzzle, though.

Prof T was the winner of the contest.

Since all of them got different scores, the winner got either 9, or 10 points.

Here is a table of differences in scores for each contestant with each other in the order they are listed:

CL: 684487597

D3: 696398597

HH: 897954644

IZ: 467676588

NO: 439689698

PR: 895784855

PT: 784694563

RE: 556568586

SH: 994895686

WO: 774885366

If the winner got 10 out of 10, then each of the other contestants would have a score lower by the same number of points as many answers were different. Since that would result in duplicate scores for all 10 cases -- no one got 10.

The scores for the 10 contestants lined up from 0 to 9. The differences of each score with the winner also lined up from 1 to 9.

Suppose a player got n answers different from the winner. Then his/her difference in score could be n, if they got the same wrong answer as the winner. Or it would be n-1 if they got the winner's wrong answer also wrong, but different (could be only multiple choice). Or the score could be n-2, if they got right the answer that the winner got wrong.

The only set of differences that can be converted to a set of unique differences from 1 to 9 by subtracting 1 or 2 from select numbers belongs to Prof T.

He has 9,8,7, and 6. Then he has 3, which can be converted to 1. One 4 could be converted to 2. Another 4 could be converted to 3, or there is 5, which could do as well. And there is a spare 6, which could convert to 5.

Edited by Prime

Actually, I messed up my difference table a little. Still the same answer is possible.

The differences for HH should be 897953644

And, correspondingly, for PT -- 783694563

Thus the answers:

ABACE TFTTT should work. (Prof T got the question #8 wrong). Then the lineup could be as follows:

Prof. Templeton = 9

HoustonHokie = 8

Prime = 7

woon = 6

Shakeepuddn = 5

reaymond = 4

Izzy = 3

Cherry Lane = 2

d3k3 = 1

nobody = 0

Nice puzzle

Prof Templeton with 9 correct

of course my entry would have looked like

A	B	A	C	E		T	F	T	T	T

the final standings were:

Prof. Templeton

HoustonHokie

Prime

woon

Shakeepuddn

reaymond

Izzy

Cherry Lane

d3k3

nobody

but i demand a recount because we all know a Hokie would never lose this competition :)

Who won the competition?

If Prof T. got 9 right and Nobody got 0, then any answer they share in common has to be the one that Prof. T got wrong.

Therefore, I submit Prof. T.'s answers but I change #8 to T to score a perfect 10!

Does the Grand PooBah get a special hat or anything? B)) edit: Of course he does! I'm already wearing it! :lol:

Placing the mythical crown of the Grand PooBah ceremoniously on Grayven's brow.

Congratulations.... ;)

OP gave you all an official answer form.

While you weren't given the puzzles themselves, you saw answers for 10 unique scores.

By solving in effect an eleventh puzzle, you were able to determine the 10 correct answers.

That done, you could submit a perfect answer form and claim the prize.

preflop came close: he gave what his answers "would have" been;

Grayven actually submitted them.

Nice going all. B))