BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

• Answers 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Why would it? What evidence is there that the world will end in 2012? Unless some horrible disesase comes out of nowhere and wipes out the human race in a matter of three years, I doubt it -_- A similar thread to this has been posted.

<(^-^)>

Why would it? What evidence is there that the world will end in 2012? Unless some horrible disesase comes out of nowhere and wipes out the human race in a matter of three years, I doubt it -_- A similar thread to this has been posted.

<(^-^)>

Ever seen the movie '28 Days Later'?

That disease wiped out the human race, and it only took uh...

I don't remember how long, but it wasn't years...

j/k :P

(^ Could you kick them twice for me?)

I'm not saying that it's going to happen, but you can't say it isn't either. Like you said we have no proof of it happening, but we also don't have proof that isn't going to happen. But personally, I seriously doubt it.

(^ Could you kick them twice for me?)

I'm not saying that it's going to happen, but you can't say it isn't either. Like you said we have no proof of it happening, but we also don't have proof that isn't going to happen. But personally, I seriously doubt it.

(No problem. I had James explain it pretty nicely to me a while back, so if anyone does need it explained to them, feel free to ask.)

Why would we need proof that it isn't going to happen, if there's nothing (convincing) to suggest that it will happen in the first place? That's like saying prove that the flying-sea-monster-unicorn-fairy doesn't exist. It's a waste of time to be honest, because scientists could be busy doing more important things. Like preventing real world destruction at the hands of meteors, and other bad things. And by "world destruction" I mostly mean human.

As George Carlin said "The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles...hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worldwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages...And we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet...the planet...the planet isn't going anywhere. WE ARE!"

Well I always saw 2012 as the supposed end to people, not the whole earth.

Do you realize what you're saying? That totally proves the religious cult thing I was saying. Oh no, the apocalypse is coming! Something's going to come and kill us all off, but all the animals and the Earth are going to be fine! ... :lol:

I'm not interested in your dopey religious cult.

Dude, you always misread my posts, it clearly says 'supposed' there. I don't think life is going to end in 2012. Sorry for being so narrow in my post. <_< I'll never understand why you always put your friend down, joke or not. It's not cool.

Dude, I wasn't putting you down. I'm sorry if it came off like that. I meant it as "Do you realize that you've just supported what I said before? That's awesome, thanks buddy". I was mocking the fact that some people believe that nonsense, whilst emphasizing it so others could realize just how silly it is themselves. The "I'm not interested in your dopey religious cult" was aimed at no one in particular, and certainty not you. Relax man. Stop misinterpreting my posts. :P

Er... If I managed to offend anyone with the above, sorry. But look on the bright side, you're not going to be killed off!

I've been living with the Apocalypse for about 12 years, there's around three a year here at home. There not as bad as people make out, in fact nothing really happens... at all. Except my junk email triples. :rolleyes:

:lol: , it's really interesting to hear about how it is in other countries :P

I have yet to meet someone who actually believes that the world is going to end at 2012. It seems like nonsense and a random date made just for kicks, but I will honestly say that it has a point. Eventually, something's going to happen that will either destroy the human race (or a good majority of it) or the entire world. There is of course the sun that will eventually burn us alive, but I'm more worried about the damage us humans are putting onto the Earth. I, personally, think that global warming is going to end us all :D

Eh, it probably will. As long as everyone realizes it's cyclical, and NOT OUR FAULT (though, we aren't doing much to help), I'm not too concerned. Yeah, we're all going to die one day. But not in 20 12.

Hmm, some scientists still believe that the current temperaure rise is not caused by humans and that we will soon enter yet another Ice Age, but I still believe that we are worsening the situation immensely, if indeed we did not start it :P I've went through some global warming-concerning articles, and many said that we will probably be dead in 45-50 years (and mind you, I'll most likely be alive by then -_- )

I can point out the obviously obvious facts, but I want you folks to enjoy life to the maximum possible extent till Dec.22, 2012. Enjoy!

I shall hold you to that statement. Prepare to be overwhelmed with PMs on December 23, 2012 ;)

Edited by star_tiger

I can point out the obviously obvious facts, but I want you folks to enjoy life to the maximum possible extent till Dec.22, 2012. Enjoy!

Are you referring to the Mayan Calender, or do you have other information I'm not familiar with? Either way, I'd like to know. Feel free to PM me if you feel it's in others' best interest not to know, but I'm curious.

Hmm, some scientists still believe that the current temperaure rise is not caused by humans and that we will soon enter yet another Ice Age, but I still believe that we are worsening the situation immensely, if indeed we did not start it :P I've went through some global warming-concerning articles, and many said that we will probably be dead in 45-50 years (and mind you, I'll most likely be alive by then -_- )

This is an essay I wrote for school about a year ago.

Global Warming - Cyclical or Our Fault?

Izzy [Last Name]

Global warming is in no way a new thing. Throughout history, there have been periods of time when it has been a lot colder than it is now (the series of ice ages definitely being some of our foremost evidence, as we didn't have much documentation way back when), but also a lot warmer. During the Cenozoic era 65 million years ago (began when the dinosaurs died out, also the beginning of mammals), Earth was about 18° - 27° Fahrenheit hotter than it is now. Clearly humans weren't alive back then, so I can say without a doubt that this was not our fault. Earth's temperature shot up even further after this period, leveled off, went down for a while, we had a few ice ages, and now the temperature is rising again. (Details can be found here: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/temperature/) 

There are many theories on what caused all this climate change, the Greenhouse Gas Effect most common among these. Greenhouse gases in the atmosphere make the atmosphere retain more of the heat from the sun, as it traps and re-directs the heat as it reflects back off the Earth. Contrary to common belief, green house gases are actually good for us. If we had no greenhouse gases in the air then we'd all be dead, because it'd be very, very, very cold. We are certainly putting more of these, CO2, SO2 and so on into the air, but the effect of that is dwarfed by the two main greenhouse gases, which are water vapor and methane. Though we have significantly added to the amount of methane through cattle ranches, flooded rice fields, and other things, all these gas emissions combined are still behind termites when it comes to the biggest producers of the stuff worldwide.

Human production of CO2 and SO2 also doesn't amount to much. A day, the average size volcano can emit anywhere from 20 tons to 10 million tons of S02, depending on volcanic activity, type, and the volume of magma involved. For example, the large explosive eruption of Mount Pinatubo on 15 June 1991 expelled 3-5 km3 of dacite magma and injected about 17 million tons of SO2 into the stratosphere. Along with this, volcanoes release more than 130 millions of tons of C02 into the atmosphere every year. Don't forget that there are thousands of volcanoes! C02 typically does not pose a direct hazard to life because it becomes diluted to low concentrations very quickly. But in certain circumstances, C02 may become concentrated at levels lethal to people, especially  in volcanic areas where C02 emissions occur. 

The point is, volcanoes and termites combined, in one year, produce way more SO2 and CO2 than the human race has in its entire history. Volcanoes came before us, volcanoes will stay pretty much long after we're gone. The planet is going to be fine pretty much fine whatever we do, but we stand some chance of wiping out a fair amount of life. So to conclude, it's mostly a natural process (heh, actually it's kind of arrogant to actually think we have so much affect on our planet), but we are doing something to make it worse, and being natural doesn't mean it'll be good for us.

I shall hold you to that statement. Prepare to be overwhelmed with PMs on December 23, 2012 ;)

Personally, I'm waiting until 12:01 AM, 1 January, 2013 before any "I told you so.." messages go out. :P

Edited by Izzy