You might use intelligence,

While others ask a doctor.

To solve this one, you may need to ask questions;

I will be your proctor.

• Answers 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

You were all so close, but then took about three steps backward.

How was Vulcan "born by killing another"? How does he fit that part of the puzzle?

Edited by Tryintothink

This is a good one. I just revisited it and I'm still stumped.

Conceived by one not dumb, - conceived by sound? or something that makes sound

And born by killing another, - killing another, maybe exhausting some sort of fuel/energy source?

I am perfected by the noise, - my initial thought was background radiation, but it wasn't fission, so it could be electric disturbances, etc

Though I never had a mother. - mother could allude to many things, but taking it literally, that means it has a father, and that could mean prototype

Doctor - could mean professor (PhD) among other things. Physics?

I would believe that it would be energy/electricity (it can be spent and its last stage is heat, which alludes to the fire in the riddle). But, TTT said that it was something tangible, so it wouldn't be.

Still thinking on this. Hey, TTT, was my shot even near the mark?

Yes, that has something to do with the answer.

Now start putting it together.

going off of scsw... is it an engine? it's reborn everytime with a combustion reaction (fire) and its made up of numerous separate parts all strewn together. It (kills another) by using fuel. I might not want to touch a moving engine for fear of getting my finger caught and cut off. Not exactly sure how it can be put in a bomb....

going off of scsw... is it an engine? it's reborn everytime with a combustion reaction (fire) and its made up of numerous separate parts all strewn together. It (kills another) by using fuel. I might not want to touch a moving engine for fear of getting my finger caught and cut off. Not exactly sure how it can be put in a bomb....

If you can't make it fit that part of the puzzle, then I suppose that's not the answer.

But again, that might be part of the answer, or the answer might be part of that.

Together yet separate,

I never can retire;

For though I may stop working,

I am reborn by fire.

Conceived by one not dumb,

And born by killing another,

I am perfected by the noise,

Though I never had a mother.

I will be your proctor.

firewood? it was tree to begin with, branches, its always growing until we cut it down, we plant it and kill it to make firewood, noise... perhaps big bang start the Earth and soil, and it has no mother cuz God is tree's father. i dunno, what do anyone think?

I'm still thinking it has something to do with television... maybe Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy.

Together yet separate,

I never can retire;

I am reborn by fire.

I will be your proctor.

That first stanza could be talking about the letter boxes or the clue squares, which are lit up when they're active, dimmed when they are unsolved (in the case of the Wheel) or solved, in the case of Jeopardy.

That 2nd stanza really makes me think Wheel of Fortune. 'Conceived... not dumb' well, to be a contestant, you pretty much have to be able to call out your guesses. If they're right, another possibility is denied/killed. If you get it right, there's applause... and before you can even guess, you have to spin that noisy wheel...

Third stanza again makes me think game show / quiz show. Some players are just smart enough to figure it out, or maybe they're using a lifeline or listening to the audience Price is Right style. With the Wheel, the contestants supply guesses, attempt to solve the puzzle, and Pat Sajak is the proctor that confirms whether they're right.

I am gonna go out of my mind pretty soon here. everything I can think of fits most of the clues but there's always a hole. Im just gonna throw this out there and see if I can't get some feedback from TTT. Maybe when I get back from vacation somebody will have solved it and put me out of my misery...

Cell phone or MP3 player sort of thing??

remeber, there might still be clues on this riddle that we dont know about

Too true.

firewood? it was tree to begin with, branches, its always growing until we cut it down, we plant it and kill it to make firewood, noise... perhaps big bang start the Earth and soil, and it has no mother cuz God is tree's father. i dunno, what do anyone think?

I think you're wrong. And I should know, I have the answer. :D

I'm still thinking it has something to do with television... maybe Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy.

That first stanza could be talking about the letter boxes or the clue squares, which are lit up when they're active, dimmed when they are unsolved (in the case of the Wheel) or solved, in the case of Jeopardy.

That 2nd stanza really makes me think Wheel of Fortune. 'Conceived... not dumb' well, to be a contestant, you pretty much have to be able to call out your guesses. If they're right, another possibility is denied/killed. If you get it right, there's applause... and before you can even guess, you have to spin that noisy wheel...

Third stanza again makes me think game show / quiz show. Some players are just smart enough to figure it out, or maybe they're using a lifeline or listening to the audience Price is Right style. With the Wheel, the contestants supply guesses, attempt to solve the puzzle, and Pat Sajak is the proctor that confirms whether they're right.

Once again, close, but no cigar. You're aiming the right way, but you're getting distracted by extraneous examples.

I am gonna go out of my mind pretty soon here. everything I can think of fits most of the clues but there's always a hole. Im just gonna throw this out there and see if I can't get some feedback from TTT. Maybe when I get back from vacation somebody will have solved it and put me out of my misery...

Cell phone or MP3 player sort of thing??

Again, so very close. As I said before, that might be part of the answer, or the answer might be part of it.

maybe we are all thinking to specifically. Maybe the answer is really simple like "technology", or "inventions."

But he said it was tangible.

I've tried word plays using the last stanza. Like IQ for intelligence and MD/PhD/MO/etc... for doctor. I just don't see any hints or words that alludes to replacing those or trying to form another word/clue with it.

Any takers?

When I get home I'll put down all the clues into one post - makes it easier to see everything.

Edited by scsw

But he said it was tangible.

I've tried word plays using the last stanza. Like IQ for intelligence and MD/PhD/MO/etc... for doctor. I just don't see any hints or words that alludes to replacing those or trying to form another word/clue with it.

Any takers?

When I get home I'll put down all the clues into one post - makes it easier to see everything.

Hmm... I guess I missed him saying it was tangible. Good thoughts on that, but I have not done much thinking about the last stanza.

Together yet separate,

I never can retire;

I am reborn by fire.

I will be your proctor.

what about wires, they work together but are separate and fit the riddle its even tangible and use in about every technology in existence, clearly created by someone smart and by born, we enter new age and kill old age. wires create perfect sound and make excellence morse code. riddle said it never had a mother, we have to remember that every mother create life, so its a hint that its not a life but simply an it. anyone on this thought?

what about wires, they work together but are separate and fit the riddle its even tangible and use in about every technology in existence, clearly created by someone smart and by born, we enter new age and kill old age. wires create perfect sound and make excellence morse code. riddle said it never had a mother, we have to remember that every mother create life, so its a hint that its not a life but simply an it. anyone on this thought?

I'm with you.

i've thought about this being the answer previously but i for some reason i dismissed it. i like that answer. reborn by fire could mean, 'firewire'

You have come the closest yet.

Together yet separate,

I never can retire;

I am reborn by fire.

I will be your proctor.

Is it fiberoptics?

Basically glass, which can be recyled.

Glass is made in fire, and the "death" of sand it is made from.

It could be used in some forms of circuitry.

Wouldn't that make it resist an EMP?

Anyhow, going with Fiberoptics.

I have tried the search and googled it, but got no relief.

What does WAI stand for?

:blink:

I'm a noob

Edited by theharangue

I have tried the search and googled it, but got no relief.

What does WAI stand for?

:blink:

I'm a noob

Is it fiberoptics?

WAI stands for What Am I

I'm really curious now, so I'm going to throw in my hap'orth for the hell of it :D

silicon chips, or some kind of electrical component?

You are even closer.... so close, you are almost there.

Is it fiberoptics?

You're a little bit further away.

Together yet separate,

I never can retire;

I am reborn by fire.

I will be your proctor.

Is it a PCB board?

Together to make a complete circuit yet separate components make the whole.

The components themselves usually recycled, never retiring.

And if it stops working, it can be soldered. The "fire".

Created by... well... smart people.

Born by using other components, killing the board before it,

Oscilloscopes are used to repair and fine tune these boards and they display waves akin to sound waves.

...or maybe just a computer?

Edited by Dreamcaster