BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Professor Nelson is just getting home when he realizes that someone has put a note under his door. He checks in and it says..

wIll you be mine? Answer This notE or THE repercussions will be dire..Find Out whO i am or you're Doomed..

Thinking it's all a joke, Professor Nelson puts it on his table and forgets about it. But the next day he is sick and stays out of his class. But he gets a call saying that there was an attempted murder on his substitute teacher, and he knows he'd better take a better look at that note. So he does. After that he decides to look for clues. First he looks around the house. He sees the newspaper that says "Murderer Is..."but remembers reading it, so doesn't think twice. Nothing else in the house is interesting,other than the lack of one wall color. So next he goes to the University. He goes to the door of his office, and all he can see is...

Profess...

professor of...

and then a note obscures the rest. The note reads...

you're nOt getting Any Closer. you need to work a Little harDer. oR else. oh-and from here on, it only gets harDer.

he goes in, and on his desk lies a note completely identical to the one that is on the door.

He finds nothing else here, so he goes into the classroom which has been cordoned off. He tells the police that he may have been the target, but doesn't tell them about the note, to avoid publicity. After all, he had enough of that in the past. So he goes home and, sitting in front of the TV, it hits him. He figured it out!

Hints:

There are a few unanswered questions. Figuring them out is a good idea.

;)

I will answer the questions if you get them. There is an eighth bonus giveaway that I won't give out until much later, even if somebody gets it. I won't answer it until someone does.

Even after I've given out the seven, there is one more puzzle to solve. The eighth will give that away, though.

Sometimes I give away more than I mean to...

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

• Answers 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I joined just to answer this riddle, but Ive been watching many riddles here carefully for a year so far.

Anyhow this riddle seems interesting enough.

I ATE THE FOOD

BUt the second note needs to be looked at differently

other than that it is very, ambiguous

Edited to get rid of spoiler

Edited by Gamefreaked

it could not be so direct...so perhaps its an anagram..something like "to die of heat" or something similar.

I think your right because the second note would make more sense unscrambled

I only have three different options that make any sense at the moment for what the anagram stands for in the second note

Old Card (Most likely)

Lord Cad or Cad Lord

Clad Rod

I think your right because the second note would make more sense unscrambled

I only have three different options that make any sense at the moment for what the anagram stands for in the second note

Old Card (Most likely)

Lord Cad or Cad Lord

Clad Rod

i think as the note inside was identical, we have to sets of letters.

Also maybe the letter "P" in the name plate should also be included

wow..is there any smily for "scratching my head"

i think as the note inside was identical, we have to sets of letters.

Also maybe the letter "P" in the name plate should also be included

"

hmmm I thought that too but i couldnt really make any legitimate statements with the 2

I dont believe the P is involved in this but I do think "Profess" plays a part in this puzzle. Maybe the soon to be murderer is trying to get him to fess up to something?

hmmm I thought that too but i couldnt really make any legitimate statements with the 2

I dont believe the P is involved in this but I do think "Profess" plays a part in this puzzle. Maybe the soon to be murderer is trying to get him to fess up to something?

What about trying with the letters from note #2 and the letters P R O F E S S P R O F F E S S O R O F????

Well, he mentioned that there were still unanswered questions..and that figuring them out would be key. So, while I agree the capital letters are probably important, I think figuring out the questions is a good idea...

Not sure if this is one of them, but why is one of the walls missing color, and why is that "interesting"?

What kind of publicity had he had in the past?

What is the rest of the newspaper heading (does it matter)?

What is he a professor of?

Those are some of the questions that I think may help in solving this...

Well, he mentioned that there were still unanswered questions..and that figuring them out would be key. So, while I agree the capital letters are probably important, I think figuring out the questions is a good idea...

Not sure if this is one of them, but why is one of the walls missing color, and why is that "interesting"?

What kind of publicity had he had in the past?

What is the rest of the newspaper heading (does it matter)?

What is he a professor of?

Those are some of the questions that I think may help in solving this...

Yes, I would like to know the answers to these questions.

To them I would add:

1) If we take the capitals in the first note as "I ATE THE FOOD", do we know what food is being referred to?

2) What was he watching on TV when he figured it out? (may or may not be relevent, just guessing here)

Question 1:

what wall color was missing in his house?

Question B: What did the newspaper say?

Question 3: Why did the Prof. not want publicity as he had "in the past"? What was the publicity he had?

Question 4: What did he figure out while he was watching TV? Was it who the attacker is, or something like the answer on wheel of fortune.

Question 5: did the TV have anything to do with his sudden epiphany?

Question 6: Was there a reason He was sick the next day? poison, etc?

Question 7: How was the substitute teacher almost murdered? gunshot? poison? stabbing?

I think there may be some significance to having two identical notes with letters OACLDRD capitolized. maybe the anagram should contain both sets of letters?

1. was the professors name in the headline of the paper?

2. why did the professor have to check in when he got home?

3. what is he professor of?

4. what was the missing wall color?

5. what was the professor's ailment making him miss class?

6. what was the attemped murder?

7. what was professor watching on tv?

not sure what the 8th question would be other than using the capitalized letters and spelling

I ATE THE FOOD

Idea on second note:

If his name is Professor Nelson. And you take the N from his last name with the capital letters from 2nd note. You can spell out DARN COLD.

Thats a really good inference.

It makes sense since someone did get the I ATE THE FOOD turned out ot be TO DIE OF HEAT

I wonder what he taught, maybe something to do with temperature?

maybe if the n is included, so darn cold is right, then its just saying hes cold, as in not even close to the answer as the note suggests?

Why encode in the message what the message already says plainly?

Why encode in the message what the message already says plainly?

Why not? If the person is a puzzle murderer then you can at least include the fact that he might just want to have fun with him.

Its telling him that he shouldn't be in his office, and that what he needs is at home?

Edited by Gamefreaked

major WHOOPS!!!! The letter H in harder in the second note is supposed to be capitalized!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (But to give a nice hint Darn Cold was pretty nice ^_^ )

Edited by Jasonman101

Questions so far:

Q1:History is the class he teaches

Q2:White is the color not on the walls

Q3:Spaghetti was the food eaten

Q4:Freed is the last word of the newspaper

Q5:Exploitation of his former boss is the publicity-But he didn't really

Q6:

Q7:

Wait does that mean the first "harder has a capital H?" And if not, does that mean the second "harder" in the note has a capitalized H and the D is not capitalized, or does it mean that both letters are capitalized in the second word?

Im confusing myself with my own question XD

Edited by Gamefreaked

so does that make

DARN COLD wrong?..... ARE WE SUPPOSED TO TAKE OUT A LETTER AND REPLACE IT WITH THE H?

1. the kind of attempted murder

2. who the freed murderer is

3. what was on the tv

Edited by darwinian