BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

peace*out

Question

Post the books that are good for the book club, and others that you just want to mention. You don't have to read any of the books, and if you do, you just read them on your own schedule.

My Ideas:

Regular:

~The Last Dog on Earth Daniel Ehrenhaft

I think that girls will favor these

over boys, but i may be wrong:

~Princess Academy Shannon Hale

~ttyl; ttfn; l8r, g8r; Lauren Myracle

~Twilight Stephenie Meyer

~Airhead; Being Nikki; ??; Meg Cabot

• Answers 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The best (and only) horror book that I have read is "Rabies" written by Borislav Pekić.

I don't know if it's translated to English yet, but on THIS website parts of it are translated and there's a short description of the content.

The book was so scary that I read it in three days and I had been scared of puppies for a month (including my own dog :unsure: ) :lol:

:lol: "Over the course of a thousand pages, everybody dies." Violent much? ;)

Kat and Peace, Twilight seems like it's targeting teenage girls (have you seen those fan clubs? :roll: ). The story itself is cliche and suits a fairytale, but most love stories are like that. It is pretty well-written, but it's mostly just for entertainment purposes :P

if we had a discussion on twilight, it wouldn't be on actual love-crossed vampire teenagers but rather on why shrieking little girls & teenage girls are fanatically obsessed with it ;)

My recommendations would be:

The Silmarillion: By J.R.R Tolkien

excellent book - though it reads like an encyclopedia, and you really have to be a LoTR fan to enjoy it (I think I read it when I was much younger and more into LoTR), so its appeal is not universal

Prey: By Micheal Crichton

I like the theme but to be honest I haven't found any of Michael Crichton's books that exciting. Jurassic Park was a droll, but I managed to finish it, not so with Prey. Although I've heard he has some good books too, so let me know if you find one - I've heard about him and i'd like to read some of his better work too

Airman: By Eoin Colfer

while I like Colfer's wit, Airman was too much for me in its ranting anti-atheism. It was actually kind of scary lol. But a really good book by Colfer is the Supernaturalist or something like that [i don't remember the exact name]. Good book :)

if we had a discussion on twilight, it wouldn't be on actual love-crossed vampire teenagers but rather on why shrieking little girls & teenage girls are fanatically obsessed with it ;)

while I like Colfer's wit, Airman was too much for me in its ranting anti-atheism. It was actually kind of scary lol. But a really good book by Colfer is the Supernaturalist or something like that [i don't remember the exact name]. Good book :)

:lol: , interesting view on Twilight. Actually, I know a handful of guys that enjoyed the book ;)

I finished reading the first few Artemis Fowl books by Colfer, and they were surprisingly good. Naturally, there's the really cheesy side of fairies and dwarves that I'm not a big fan of, but the plot itself and the personalities of various characters such as Artemis himself, Holly Short, and my personal fav, Foaly, were extremely captivating :D Supernaturalist sounds like a pretty interesting read, although surprise, the library ran out :P

Andro, I'm starting to get worried...*pictures cpb delightedly counting each person who died over the course of the book*

Andro, I'm starting to get worried...*pictures cpb delightedly counting each person who died over the course of the book*

*Cough*youshouldtalk*cough* Don't think I don't know about your love for death in books ;)

I finished reading the first few Artemis Fowl books by Colfer, and they were surprisingly good. Naturally, there's the really cheesy side of fairies and dwarves that I'm not a big fan of, but the plot itself and the personalities of various characters such as Artemis himself, Holly Short, and my personal fav, Foaly, were extremely captivating :D Supernaturalist sounds like a pretty interesting read, although surprise, the library ran out :P

I found the books...extermely boring o.O I couldn't even finish the first half of the first book...I've heard of Supernaturalist, but I don't think I've looked into it that much...*shrugs* maybe I should...?

<(6-^)>

*Cough*youshouldtalk*cough* Don't think I don't know about your love for death in books ;)

I found the books...extermely boring o.O I couldn't even finish the first half of the first book...I've heard of Supernaturalist, but I don't think I've looked into it that much...*shrugs* maybe I should...?

<(6-^)>

Oh, I hated the first book. It only got better later on :D Have I mentioned my love for Foaly the centaur? ;)

<(6-^)>

:o :o :o OMG :o

I read "The Alchemist" yesterday to see what is all the fuss about and :huh:

Five minutes after I finished reading the book I forgot that I read it! There wasn't a single line that made me put the book down to think about it... The storyline itself is not so bad but the book itself is pretty dull. The characters in the story are one dimensional (in translation they have no character) and OMG it's a Sahara desert!!! He couldn't give us one line of breathtaking description or did he?? but then the description must have been pale cause I don't remember it! And the philosophical gibberish like Personal Legend for example, made me role my eyes so many times... come on :rolleyes: I can't believe that so many people are buying that c***!

Paulo Coelho is so overrated...

Five minutes after I finished reading the book I forgot that I read it! There wasn't a single line that made me put the book down to think about it... The storyline itself is not so bad but the book itself is pretty dull. The characters in the story are one dimensional (in translation they have no character) and OMG it's a Sahara desert!!! He couldn't give us one line of breathtaking description or did he?? but then the description must have been pale cause I don't remember it! And the philosophical gibberish like Personal Legend for example, made me role my eyes so many times... come on :rolleyes: I can't believe that so many people are buying that c***!

Finally, someone that saw the truth through his invisible armor!

Can you imagine the shame of being Brazillian just like this "Paulo Coelho" is??? And you were lucky for not reading the original portuguese version, because he just don´t know portuguese at all!!! I think the translators had lots of phrases to fix!

At least we read something written by him, and we´re never going to repeat this mistake.

Finally, someone that saw the truth through his invisible armor!

Can you imagine the shame of being Brazillian just like this "Paulo Coelho" is??? And you were lucky for not reading the original portuguese version, because he just don´t know portuguese at all!!! I think the translators had lots of phrases to fix!

At least we read something written by him, and we´re never going to repeat this mistake.

Actually I started reading "11 Minutes" and I was reading it exactly 11 minutes :lol: I dropped the book, it was too boring :rolleyes: and then decided to have another go at his writing and thankfully I don't ever have to do it again :D

If people want to read an amazing "Personal Legend" they should try reading "The Ogre" (or "The Erl-King") by Michel Tournier! :) That book just swept me away...

Wait, the Alchemyst by Michael Scott? that was a Great book that shows how jealousy can effect even siblings and shows a depth of many mythological creatures! He also came to our school and spoke to us about it.

Although as for Twilight, the first 1 was good, the 2nd was okay, the 3rd she tried to hard to make it good, and I stopped reading the forth one after *Cough cough* Edward pulled Bella deeper into the water.

So another book

The Alchemyst By Michael Scott

The Seventh Tower by Garth Nix

Wait, the Alchemyst by Michael Scott? that was a Great book that shows how jealousy can effect even siblings and shows a depth of many mythological creatures! He also came to our school and spoke to us about it.

Although as for Twilight, the first 1 was good, the 2nd was okay, the 3rd she tried to hard to make it good, and I stopped reading the forth one after *Cough cough* Edward pulled Bella deeper into the water.

So another book

Deeper? *shuuders with weirdism WEIRD IMAGE IN MY HEAD :lol:

Edited by Riddle Master Zack

So another book

Two different books! The one that I read was written by a Brazilian guy.

What about coming back to Itachi-san ideas?

I read Neil Gaiman's "Fragile Things" and I want to read Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons".

Neil Gaiman is just perfect! But I think A&D would be nice to read next. :lol:

What about coming back to Itachi-san ideas?

I read Neil Gaiman's "Fragile Things" and I want to read Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons".

Neil Gaiman is just perfect! But I think A&D would be nice to read next. :lol:

Agreed with A& D...I read the first bit of it a while ago and wanted to continue :3

<(^-^)>