BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

peace*out

Question

Post the books that are good for the book club, and others that you just want to mention. You don't have to read any of the books, and if you do, you just read them on your own schedule.

My Ideas:

Regular:

~The Last Dog on Earth Daniel Ehrenhaft

I think that girls will favor these

over boys, but i may be wrong:

~Princess Academy Shannon Hale

~ttyl; ttfn; l8r, g8r; Lauren Myracle

~Twilight Stephenie Meyer

~Airhead; Being Nikki; ??; Meg Cabot

• Answers 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Post the books that are good for the book club, and others that you just want to mention. You don't have to read any of the books, and if you do, you just read them on your own schedule.

My Ideas:

Regular:

~The Last Dog on Earth Daniel Ehrenhaft

I think that girls will favor these

over boys, but i may be wrong:

~Princess Academy Shannon Hale

~ttyl; ttfn; l8r, g8r; Lauren Myracle

~Twilight Stephenie Meyer

~Airhead; Being Nikki; ??; Meg Cabot

Next - Michael Crichton

Next - Michael Crichton

That one was prettty good. You should try reading Orson Scott Card's Invasive Procedures.

Has anyone here read Christopher Moore? He is another great author, Lamb is one of my favorites.

that's by the same person as Ender's game, right?

Yea, he has alot of great books. He is one of my favorite authors. Another good one is Magic Street, but personally I liked Invasive procedures more.

Oh man, that book is excellent! Orson Scott card is one of my favorite authors. :D

:lol:, I second that! Just got Invasive Procedures 2 days ago :P I can't believe none of my friends has heard of him <_< Of course, that's no longer a problem anymore after I nearly drowned them with Ender's Game comments B))

hmm...

* Slaughterhouse Five (starting that soon after I finish Speaker)

* Fly By Night (excellent book, really surprised me with how good it was)

* Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 (I've been meaning to read both of these)

also I second Izzy's NO to the ones peace*out listed - sorry :) The majority of those are very juvenile, for little kids, or just have no substance. They may be okay for a quick read, but not for a book club discussion

[edit - correct from 411 to 451 :P]

Edited by unreality

Keys to the Kingdom: Garth Nix

It is for a bit younger audience but My book club had a really in depth discussion on Ho society would be diffrent

Although Unreality, i would NOT suggest reading 1984. or at least save yourself sometime and skip over the middle part. It is REALLY dry. Animal Farm was alot better in my opinion.

also I second Izzy's NO to the ones peace*out listed - sorry :) The majority of those are very juvenile, for little kids, or just have no substance. They may be okay for a quick read, but not for a book club discussion

I enjoyed them (or parts of them). That's it. We dont need a discussion about them (that would be non nessecery), but i can put them on the list.

That's ok - i know what you both mean ;)

yes, City of Ember is excellent, so is Pendragon - I forgot to add both of those :) I started Children of the Lamp and put it down soon after, to be honest it was pretty boring. I wouldn't suggest it. Though if you do read it and find that it's good farther in, let us know! (same with Dark Is Rising)

peace*out: hope I didn't offend you, I was just saying that they probably wouldn't be good book club material

since we're on the topic of listing young-adult-book-series, I'd recommmend the Gregor series. I think the first one is called Gregor the OVerlander or something... great books ;D

Twilight is not a 'kiddies' book. anyone who has read the entire series, especially breaking dawn, will know that its not technically even appropriate for people under 15 unless very mature.

ok i have said my bit :)

Twilight is not a 'kiddies' book. anyone who has read the entire series, especially breaking dawn, will know that its not technically even appropriate for people under 15 unless very mature.

ok i have said my bit :)

Oh...Twilight...*puts head in hands* the books were good, they were slightly mature *only really in the last one* but the storyline was...directed at a younger reading audience...just the whole "love at first sight, Romeo and Juliet story", it's not for adult readers looking for a deep story...I really thought the books were kinda shallow...in more ways than one...[/antitwilightrant]

<(^-^)>

Oh...Twilight...*puts head in hands* the books were good, they were slightly mature *only really in the last one* but the storyline was...directed at a younger reading audience...just the whole "love at first sight, Romeo and Juliet story", it's not for adult readers looking for a deep story...I really thought the books were kinda shallow...in more ways than one...[/antitwilightrant]

<(^-^)>

isnt love at first sight a teenager thing? and romeo and juliet an adult favourite?

isnt love at first sight a teenager thing? and romeo and juliet an adult favourite?

Er...love at first sight is a childhood fairy tale, and Romeo and Juliet is so cliche, I know I'M not looking for another "star crossed lovers" story...

<(^-^)>

Er...love at first sight is a childhood fairy tale, and Romeo and Juliet is so cliche, I know I'M not looking for another "star crossed lovers" story...

<(^-^)>

<(^-^)>

so every 6 yr old belives in love at first sight?

Keys to the Kingdom: Garth Nix

It is for a bit younger audience but My book club had a really in depth discussion on Ho society would be diffrent

Although Unreality, i would NOT suggest reading 1984. or at least save yourself sometime and skip over the middle part. It is REALLY dry. Animal Farm was alot better in my opinion.

What? The book is excellent! Every word!

The middle part shows you the extent of control in their society. I'm not going to start listing things... but the book is awesome!! :D

The best (and only) horror book that I have read is "Rabies" written by Borislav Pekić.

I don't know if it's translated to English yet, but on THIS website parts of it are translated and there's a short description of the content.

The book was so scary that I read it in three days and I had been scared of puppies for a month (including my own dog :unsure: ) :lol: