BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Brothers and sisters, it is time to stand united and strike a blow for making the world a better place! Let's identify all the little things that are wrong with the world and have a good rant about them, then maybe the Powers That Be will sit up and take notice (or perhaps not).

Like central locking systems on cars, for instance. Why is it that when you press the button to unlock it you hear the clunk telling you it's unlocked but if you don't wait another second before pulling on the door handle the door stays locked! Whats that all about? Is it some kind of punishment for being hasty? And washing machines, too. You've started a wash and then you decide to stop it and open the door (cos you left some tissues in the pocket of the trousers you're washing, say). That's what you want to do, so why do you have to wait 2 minutes before it will let you do it? Either it's full of water or it aint, and if it aint then what's the problem? Does the machine release little demons to help remove stains, and they need to be exorcised before opening the door so they don't get out and cause trouble?

And milk cartons that just glup milk all over themselves and you and the table instead of pouring it. How's that still possible in the 21st century?

Oh and don't get me started on bowls. What is it with bowls? I'm speaking of the crockery variety you use for soup or breakfast cereal or whatever. The point of a bowl is it's a receptacle for holding liquids, hence it needs to go up at the sides a bit more than, say, a plate would. How do the designers of bowls keep forgetting this fact? Either they make them with a tiny piddling little indentation in the middle so it holds nothing, or they have edges at the shallowest angle imaginable so you can't possibly move your bowl of soup from A to B without slopping it everywhere. Is this some great design principle? That we must suffer for our crockery in the name of elegance? How elegant can a person be with soup all over them?

...and breathe. Someone else's turn.

• Answers 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

What's up with bikes and their small seats... I have blisters on my hiney! <_<

My Doctor told me about these when I complained about bike seat related "issues". Looks like a great idea. There are others on the market as well, but I don't know about availability in your neck of the planet.

My Doctor told me about these when I complained about bike seat related "issues". Looks like a great idea. There are others on the market as well, but I don't know about availability in your neck of the planet.
I've generally found soft comfortable bike seats to be of limited use, only worthwhile if you don't bike much. If you're doing any major amount of cycling it's better to stick with the hard seat and suffer a bit. It won't be long before you deaden all the relevant nerves and then you're comfy (become hard-a** in other words)

I've generally found soft comfortable bike seats to be of limited use, only worthwhile if you don't bike much. If you're doing any major amount of cycling it's better to stick with the hard seat and suffer a bit. It won't be long before you deaden all the relevant nerves and then you're comfy (become hard-a** in other words)
I have become comfortably numb since moving to Netherlands.

Tokyo public transport bans phones completety - yeah! I hate it that people talk louder and intrude on your private thoughts. I am not a nosy person.

I hate technology that tries to make our lives better but instead only makes our lives easier. NOT THE SAME THING!

I miss the days that we walked where we needed to go instead of hopping in a car to drive a few blocks.

I hate that I love videogames. Videogames have really negatively affected my life. I will be carefull to pay attention to my children's habits concerning them.

I miss the days that I felt comfortable and safe to be a 10 year old riding my bike around the neighborhoods and down the street. Do places like this still exist?

I hate that I have no clear idea what to do with my life and the only options that seem plausible for my interests do not fit with my experience.

I hate that I have a firm belief that the Christian God exists, which I cannot change even if I try to, yet have no concrete evidence to give anyone, not even myself, and have serious problems with most every church, doctrine, denomination that I have seen. I also believe that the bible holds truth, yet do not believe that the entire thing is true, and believe that it does not claim to be. <_<

I hate that I work all day and do not see a direct association of work performed to my families survival. I do not work to hunt my own food or build my own shelter, I work at a job I probably do not like for money which I use to buy these things.

I hate 40 hr work weeks and 8 hour work days. Routine bordem which takes me away from my family.

I hate that people in this world make this a world in which people do not trust or take care of one another. Sometimes I do something good just because it is good, I am not trying to get something out of the situation.

I hate being afraid to speak my thoughts because I know that people will either take them the wrong way or not take consideration of what I have said. There may be some thoughts that I have which sound off the wall, crazy, ridiculous or just wrong, but I wish I knew people could take them and think about them.

Wow, that's such an honest post. I feel for you, particularly on the work issues. Maybe you need a radical change in your life. It's possible to make a living without a 40 hour week, especially if you're smart. That sounds like stating the obvious, but what I mean is, even though the risk of failing can make it hard to explore opportunities, it's probably a risk that isn't as great as you think. You're only as trapped as you believe you are.

Why not start a topic for those off the wall thoughts? I can't say nobody will judge you, but at least we won't know who you are ;)

What a fun topic!! What's next?

How about fasion on most teenagers these days? I do NOT want to see your underwear. It was bad enough when pants were baggy and you wore them low because they just were too heavy to stay up. This new trend of wearing tight fitting hip huggers UNDER the buttocks is absolutely offensive! How the heck can you even keep a job dressed like that? Ok, I know it's minimum wage at the mall, but still!! Have we no standards anymore?

And that's mostly just the boys! The girls are worse! They dress in clothes that would make an extra in "Boogie Nights" blush. It is not attractive. Neither is lip gloss. Stiletto heels are, but not on you, and not in high-school. Your grandparents are ashamed to be seen with you and your parents SHOULD be.

Of course, the argument is that you are all just expressing individuality. Just like everyone else? Have some self respect, think for yourself, and try something original. I know it's not easy in high-school, but once you get out into the real world.... well, you'll see that it's all pretty much the same, but that's not my point.

Just pull up your pants!

How about fasion on most teenagers these days? I do NOT want to see your underwear. It was bad enough when pants were baggy and you wore them low because they just were too heavy to stay up. This new trend of wearing tight fitting hip huggers UNDER the buttocks is absolutely offensive! How the heck can you even keep a job dressed like that? Ok, I know it's minimum wage at the mall, but still!! Have we no standards anymore?

And that's mostly just the boys! The girls are worse! They dress in clothes that would make an extra in "Boogie Nights" blush. It is not attractive. Neither is lip gloss. Stiletto heels are, but not on you, and not in high-school. Your grandparents are ashamed to be seen with you and your parents SHOULD be.

Of course, the argument is that you are all just expressing individuality. Just like everyone else? Have some self respect, think for yourself, and try something original. I know it's not easy in high-school, but once you get out into the real world.... well, you'll see that it's all pretty much the same, but that's not my point.

Just pull up your pants!

AMEN! That annoys me to no end.

Also, I"m adding those little 14-16 year old girl who wear those stilettos, and skimpy clothing and more make-up than Gene Simmons to try to look like they're and adult. I'm mean, seriously, why cant girls just look their age until they hit 18, then they can look whatever age they want, but let kids be kids please!

For a more personal rant....

Backstabbing, lying, bullsh*t so-called friends. How can it be possible for an individual to claim to be ones best friend and then date a girl he knew you were interested in behind your back al the time telling you that he's not interested in her and that he hardly even speaks to her. Also those friends who act all buddy buddy to your face but you find out they have been talking sh*t behind your back. OH one more, the best friend of 7 years who comes back from Iraq on leave. Is talkign to your ex behind your back, and then calls you when he gets back to base across the country to tell you they're together.

Sadly they're a bunch of girls at my school like that, most end being written up for dress-code. And not to be offensive, but some of them should be trying to avoid showing skin. A notch or two down, any they'd actually be attractive to a safe age range.

(No rant for me/spammish)

Edited by Zerep

Lol, yeah, I see that whenever I go back to England. Teenage culture used to be shocking by being rebellious, wild, irreverent and cutting edge. But that's all been done, so now it's just shockingly dumb. Kids looking like sad fashion victims, trying to be cool with pants round their knees.

And isn't it odd that girls who want to look grown up always dress as tarts? Are tarts the only grown-ups they ever met? One of life's little mysteries...

Just because us girls wear lipgloss (even though i dont) doesn't mean that we are fashion freaks from another world. (dont worry - im just being defensive :P )

<_<

Which reminds me...

What about people who hate saying stupid (aka my mom and dad). I cant say stupid or crap. :( They'd object to me being on this site if they knew about the language... :P

The bias of the BBC!

For those of you who don't know, the BBC is the "British Broadcasting Corporation" and encompasses TV, Radio etc. Over Christmas and into January, Israel launched its offensive into the Gaza Strip in Palestine. 1,400 Palestinians were killed and over a third of those women and children! No food, no electricity, no aid, no medical supplies. 5000+ injured. Over 300 innocent children killed. Countless now parentless.

So regardless of whether you agree with what happened in Gaza, I think we all would like an independent, subjective, news service, that don't base their reports on what a government has set out for them to report. With this in mind, over the past few days a few of the world's leading charities (Amnesty International etc.) had come together to make a critical international aid appeal. Here where I live the 4 main channels were asked to show this appeal, to try and help innocent civilians in bloody need! And the BBC decline to show the appeal.

"We don't want to seem to be taking sides." That was there reasoning. So yes obviously by showing an Amnestly- International- aid- appeal for a region that has been uniformly destroyed, you are supporting Hamas. It doesn't matter about the men, women, children undergoing the kind suffering unimaginable to us in our comfy homes. Of course not.

I can honestly say it made me sick to my stomach. I had an extremely low opinion of the BBC anyway, but even I didn't think they would degrade themselves that much.

Edited by Joe's Student

sorry, i need another rant.

ok. So who cares if a friend finds my notebook of songs for BDB!?! What i care is that when she's done looking at them, she laughs out loud and calls me goth. And tells me im depressed.

Big woop if i right mafia songs! I explain it to her, and now she's told someone else, and probobly still thinks im goth. Great.

Sorry, i just needed that.

The bias of the BBC!

[...]

So regardless of whether you agree with what happened in Gaza, I think we all would like an independent, subjective, news service, that don't base their reports on what a government has set out for them to report. With this in mind, over the past few days a few of the world's leading charities (Amnesty International etc.) had come together to make a critical international aid appeal. Here where I live the 4 main channels were asked to show this appeal, to try and help innocent civilians in bloody need! And the BBC decline to show the appeal.

[...]

Personally, I'd rather see an objective media, but maybe that's just me.

DRUGS! :angry: It's bad enough to do it by itself, but to do it publically? Also, if "drugs are bad" why do people try and sell them to KIDS? It freakin' pisses me off to no end to see two 7th graders bragging to each other about how "high" they got a few days ago. It's like society is PROMOTING killing yourself. An example: While up skiing, I was on the chairlift and the guy sitting next to me was a ski patroller (One of the people who are supposed to help you) and in the middle of the ride up, he starts smoking, and blowing the smoke into my face! As if it couldn't get worse, he turns to me, and tries to OFFER me one! Of course I told him HECK NO! But the fact that someone most younger kids look up to would do that just completely pissed me off! :angry:

Edited by RainThinker

All you drug companies that try so hard to make garbage that will not cure you. Then you lead people to believe that your junk is good. FOR SHAME!!!

I learned my lesson years ago. I am not helping to make you wealthy at the expense of my health.

Some of it is prescription and some over-the-counter. You do not want people to be cured or get better, because that would stop your profit from increasing. So you in-turn create this temporary relief BS. The prices are too high and you can't fool me with that junk any more, so :P !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just pull up your pants!

I totally agree. When I was in middle school I took gym class and we had to change into our gym clothes before going to the class. So when we would change clothes in the locker room, these idiotic girls would dance around in their underwear and pretend to be strippers and stuff like that and be like "look at my new bra I got from Vistoria's Secret, don't I look sexy?".. And that's 11-12 year olds. Wth kind of parent buys their 12 year old stuff from Victoria's Secret?

Also.. I hate how materialistic girls are. Almost every girls at my school has some kind of designer purse. It's so disgusting that people spend hundreds of dollars on stuff like purses, shoes, clothes, jewelry, etc. There are so many better things you could do with that money. Why does it matter which designer made your purse? That's such a ridiculous thing to care about. I got my purse for $9 at Target..

One time after my mom bought a jacket for like $80 I said "why would you spend 80 dollar on a jacket.. there are people dying because they can't afford food-" and she just smirked and said "Good."

I havn't looked much into it, but me and and a friend from school were talking after class and we had got on the subject of cancer. She was telling me about how the search for a cure wasn't neccessary if the FDA would approve whats already there. When I asked what she meant, she said that in the U.S, there is a plant that cures cancer. Whether this is true (does anyone know?) or not it made me pissed :angry: to think that america would be so greedy as to not make it leagal. Charging outrageuos prices for cancer 'treatments' that have what docters say a "long-term benefit." And sadly her mom died the past year from breast cancer..

Just pull up your pants!

:lol: That reminds me of the time some guys pants fell down in the middle of the hallway...I laughed for so long XD But seriously, I agree...I honestly prefer turtlenecks to low cut things...and I'm sure most of my classmates would disagree <_< You can't even look at a guy without seeing some green spotted boxers, and I look at some of the girls in my class, and feel like yelling "YOU DO REALIZE WE'RE IN CANADA IN THE WINTER?" >_<++ That would make a bikinii look bulky, sweetie...

Guess what I was doing for a good 5 hours today? Sitting on an airplane...has there ever been a more uncomfortable way to travel? I have unusually long legs, and the room between the seats for one's legs is small for a normal proportioned person :wacko: The bathrooms make my closet look huge, and theres never any tp... >_< The movies that are on are either extremely inappropriate, or for two year olds...and the food isn't even suitable for a rat...what is this jiggly thing you say is my meal? Pudding you say? *Pokes...it wiggles slightly* I'll stick with my starbucks cup thank you...at least it has flavour and doesn't wiggle in a weird way *disgusted face* Oh...I almost forgot...delays...we had an hour delay because of a SNOW STORM *>_<+* that we just narrowly missed...feel bad for you, Liam...you must be stuck in the house by now o.O

<(^-^)>

I havn't looked much into it, but me and and a friend from school were talking after class and we had got on the subject of cancer. She was telling me about how the search for a cure wasn't neccessary if the FDA would approve whats already there. When I asked what she meant, she said that in the U.S, there is a plant that cures cancer. Whether this is true (does anyone know?) or not it made me pissed :angry: to think that america would be so greedy as to not make it leagal. Charging outrageuos prices for cancer 'treatments' that have what docters say a "long-term benefit." And sadly her mom died the past year from breast cancer..

Than it would probably make you super pissed to know that there's a cure for AIDS too!

I watched a science show about a very simple cure that they tested on a guy on a brink of death (so he wasn't just HIV positive, he had AIDS). Anyway, this guy was cured! I think that they said that the virus was out of his system?!

The problem is that it'll take years of clinical testing before it gets approved and produced in large amounts.

The cure works simply by blocking the lock on T-cells that the virus has the key for. It would be like somebody putting a key into your apartment's lock and breaking it, so you wouldn't be able to unlock it and enter. That is how that simple cure works!

And then again that show could have been a scam... I don't know :blink: but the cure does make sense!

Than it would probably make you super pissed to know that there's a cure for AIDS too!

I watched a science show about a very simple cure that they tested on a guy on a brink of death (so he wasn't just HIV positive, he had AIDS). Anyway, this guy was cured! I think that they said that the virus was out of his system?!

The problem is that it'll take years of clinical testing before it gets approved and produced in large amounts.

The cure works simply by blocking the lock on T-cells that the virus has the key for. It would be like somebody putting a key into your apartment's lock and breaking it, so you wouldn't be able to unlock it and enter. That is how that simple cure works!

And then again that show could have been a scam... I don't know :blink: but the cure does make sense!

Ma'am, if an incurable disease was founded, don't you think that it would be out in the open???

I am involved with the Rotary Club, which as donators, helps kill things like polio and other things.

I am not reluctant to believe it is not possible, however, you should post a link to this miraculousness. ;)

Edited by akaslickster

Ma'am, if an incurable disease was founded, don't you think that it would be out in the open???

I am involved with the Rotary Club, which as donators, helps kill things like polio and other things.

I am not reluctant to believe it is not possible, however, you should post a link to this miraculousness. ;)

Did you read that line?? I've seen that show on TV couple a years ago, don't know what program! *shrug*

Edited by andromeda

What about people who hate saying stupid (aka my mom and dad). I cant say stupid or crap. :( They'd object to me being on this site if they knew about the language... :P

Thanks for the new rant topic!

The prevalent usage of the word stupid is, quite frankly, stupid. (showing or resulting from dullness of mind)

It has somehow become acceptable to be inarticulate. We no longer have to explain ourselves when we give an opinion. My teenage neice won't play trivial pursuit with me because "that's a stupid game." If we don't like something, we can say "It's stupid" and somehow that's explanation enough?

The reality is that if a movie/book/game/idea challenges this generation to think/change/open their minds, etc., then we hear "that's like, stupid!" followed by the precious angel turning back to the television to watch TMZ make fun of Britney's latest public disgrace (again).

PO, I think the reason your parents don't allow the language is because they care about you and want you to be able to communicate effectively. They do not want you to be percieved as ignorant, when they obviously know that you are bright, intelligent and capable.

On the other side of the coin, I think you should challenge them next time they admonish you for saying stupid. Say, "ok, I understand that you disapprove of the word, but can you please articulate to me why it is important that I don't?" The ability to express onself separates us from the beasts, afterall. :P

Thanks for the new rant topic!

The prevalent usage of the word stupid is, quite frankly, stupid. (showing or resulting from dullness of mind)

It has somehow become acceptable to be inarticulate. We no longer have to explain ourselves when we give an opinion. My teenage neice won't play trivial pursuit with me because "that's a stupid game." If we don't like something, we can say "It's stupid" and somehow that's explanation enough?

The reality is that if a movie/book/game/idea challenges this generation to think/change/open their minds, etc., then we hear "that's like, stupid!" followed by the precious angel turning back to the television to watch TMZ make fun of Britney's latest public disgrace (again).

PO, I think the reason your parents don't allow the language is because they care about you and want you to be able to communicate effectively. They do not want you to be percieved as ignorant, when they obviously know that you are bright, intelligent and capable.

On the other side of the coin, I think you should challenge them next time they admonish you for saying stupid. Say, "ok, I understand that you disapprove of the word, but can you please articulate to me why it is important that I don't?" The ability to express onself separates us from the beasts, afterall. :P

When i was young my dad was that way about cursing in general. He used to tel me that people who curse have very little grasp of the English language. To an extent he was right granted there are times when shouting a curse word or two just describes ones feeling at that moment better than well articulated words that the average person has to look up in the dictionary (Provided they know how to use one).

All you drug companies that try so hard to make garbage that will not cure you. Then you lead people to believe that your junk is good. FOR SHAME!!!

I learned my lesson years ago. I am not helping to make you wealthy at the expense of my health.

Some of it is prescription and some over-the-counter. You do not want people to be cured or get better, because that would stop your profit from increasing. So you in-turn create this temporary relief BS. The prices are too high and you can't fool me with that junk any more, so :P !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously!! Have you seen the commercial that advertises an antidepression drug to use with your current antidepression drug? Its ridiculous!

The reason that a cure may potentially available for AIDS and Cancer, but is not yet readily available, is because once people are cured there is no need to keep coming back to the doctor and keep taking treatments. Treatments occur multiple times, once you are cured that is it. There is alot of money in the medical business and it also costs alot of money to keep it up. I am not saying that there is a cure for Aids and Cancer and that people are hiding the cure, I am just saying that it makes sense that a business would want to maintain income.

It is ridiculous. It happens in all kinds of businesses.