BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

13 answers to this question

I think it lacks proper punctuation. Try this way.

There is only one truth, the one I don't know.

Nice on Slick. That was my first thought as well. Beyond that, in my opinion, I don't think I should form an opinion. :P

Nice on Slick. That was my first thought as well. Beyond that, in my opinion, I don't think I should form an opinion. :P

slick, do you mean that i am confused? or whoever utters such a sentence?

as to Grayven................................it isn't a sentence i quote from someone else. It is simply a sentence borne in mind...

I would say that the statement is false. There are many truths, and I'd say that we know a lot of them. Leaving math out of this (grr @ math), even just describing all the things that we perceive (and prefacing them with "I perceive that...") creates a list of truths that we know. For instance:

I perceive that I am incapable of passing through the ground beneath my feet.

I perceive that spending long enough in the sun will cause my skin color to change, and result in pain for myself.

I perceive those around me experiencing what I would call "death," which results in their being unresponsive to the outside world, and the eventual decomposing of their bodies.

I perceive that Oreo brand cookies are what I would call "delicious."

etc.

What do you think about this sentence?

THERE IS ONLY ONE TRUTH...THE ONE I DON'T KNOW

Can't be true. If it were true then it would be "a truth" and therefore the only truth, but you'd know it (since you stated it), so you'd have a contradiction right there.

On the other hand it isn't false either, since it could only be false if either:

(a) there was either no truth or more than one truth. But truth itself is the only truth, so that's not true.

or

(b) you know what truth is. That would make you omniscient, since all knowledge is truth.

Neither condition can be satisfied so the statement is not false.

So it's the other sort: "don't know" :P

puppy,

"On the other hand it isn't false either, since it could only be false if either:

(a) there was either no truth or more than one truth. But truth itself is the only truth, so that's not true.

or

(b) you know what truth is. That would make you omniscient, since all knowledge is truth.

Neither condition can be satisfied so the statement is not false.

"

part a: what do you mean that truth itself is the only truth? i dont think the logic holds up, or I may be reading it wrong.

part b: this assumes that "truth" is an all encompassing grand unified theorem (if I may borrow that term). There might be something that is true, and someone might know that thing to be true, and then that would make them know some truth while not being onmiscient.

and also, the statement may be false if the first part is true, but the second part is not true. I.E. there may be one truth, and the one writing may indeed know that one truth. The sentence as a whole can be proven false if one of the statements is proven false, even if the rest is true.

As far as my opinion, I'll show my hand: I do believe there is truth, both in the sense of singular facts, and an all encompassing Truth. I dont mind being the odd one who claims to know that there is truth.