BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Doctor's Son

Question

A teenage boy is driving in a car with his father, when they are in a terrible car accident. The father is killed instantly, and the son is seriously injured. The boy is rushed to the hospital, and imediately gets sent into emergency surgery. The surgeon takes one look at him, and says "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son". The boy was never adopted and his biological parents are still married.

How can this be?

The surgeon is the boy's mother!

4 answers to this question

A teenage boy is driving in a car with his father, when they are in a terrible car accident.

The father is killed instantly, and the son is seriously injured.

The boy is rushed to the hospital, and imediately gets sent into emergency surgery.

The surgeon takes one look at him, and says "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son".

The boy was never adopted and his biological parents are still married.

How can this be?

It can't be.

Does the phrase "Til death do us part" ring a bell?

A teenage boy is driving in a car with his father, when they are in a terrible car accident.

The father is killed instantly, and the son is seriously injured.

The boy is rushed to the hospital, and imediately gets sent into emergency surgery.

The surgeon takes one look at him, and says "I can't operate on this boy, he is my son".

The boy was never adopted and his biological parents are still married.

How can this be?

It can't be.

Does the phrase "Til death do us part" ring a bell?

It doesn't say that HIS father is killed instantly or that the first mentioned son is the same as the son who got injured. It says he is driving in a car with HIS father and they are in an accident and THE father was killed instantly and THE son is seriously injured.

There are 2 (EDIT: 3) possibilities:

1) The boy's father that was in the car with him WAS the surgeon and he wasn't hurt, but the father that was in the OTHER car was killed instantly.

2) The boy that was in the first car with his father that was instantly killed was NOT the boy that was injured. The boy that was injured came from the opposite car (possibly with his mother). Then, when he arrived at the hospital, it just happened to be the hospital his father worked at.

EDIT:

3) What the OP said... ;)