Mon:_____ Lies _______ A Lie_____________ A Lie

Tue:_____ Lies _______Truth_____________ A Lie

Wed:_____Lies _______ Truth_____________A Lie

Thu:_____Truth _______ Truth_____________A Lie

Fri: _____ Truth _______A Lie _____________Truth

Sat: _____ Truth_______A Lie _____________ Truth

Sun:_____ Truth_______ A Lie _____________Truth

"Yesterday I was lying and two days after tomorrow I will be lying again"

Monday: The lion lied about both parts of his statement, but that was okay because he is allowed to lie on Monday.

Tuesday: The lions statement contained a lie and because it is Tuesday he is allowed to lie.

Wednes: The lions statement contained a lie and because it is Wednesday he is allowed to lie.

Thursday: The lions statement contained a lie and he tells the truth on a Thurday.

Friday: The lions statement contained a lie and he tells the truth on a Friday.

Saturday: The lions statement contained a lie and he tells the truth on a Saturday.

Sunday: The lions statement contained a lie and he tells the truth on a Sunday.

If you take the statement as a whole then if said on every day he would have lied every day.

He lies on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday so this statement could have been said on any one of these days.

"and" used to connect words of the same part of speech, clauses, or sentences that are to be taken jointly.

If you take away the "and" and make the statement two seperate statements then the Lion would only have been able to say this on Monday.

However by combining the two we have to treat the statement as one (a whole) and part of the statement on all days contained a lie and because the Lion lies on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, he could have said this on any of these days.

A few things to consider before making my final decision:

Who is Alice?

Is Alice a Human?

Who is the Lion having for dinner Alice or the Unicorn?

The forest of forgetfulness - does it have any relevance to this riddle?

The Lion is a male!

Okay here goes. The Lion could have said this on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

:)

Edited by Tearz

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unless i have read the question wrong i think the lion could have only made this statement on the monday.

because the lion lies on tuesday and wednesday he cannot tell the truth. but in the first part of the riddle he states " yesterday i was lying" which is true but on tuesday and wednesday he can only lie

which makes either the riddle wrong or the answer wrong

prove me wrong

Quwandong

p.s

great job on the other riddels though keep em coming

It makes more sense if it's monday, because it would work perfectly opposite of what he said first, so if its a total lie, then its monday. if not, then Monday tuesday or wednesday

Here goes

Yesterday I was Lying and two days after tomorrow I will be lying again

Mon:_____ Lies _______ A Lie_____________ A Lie

Tue:_____ Lies _______Truth_____________ A Lie

Wed:_____Lies _______ Truth_____________A Lie

Thu:_____Truth _______ Truth_____________A Lie

Fri: _____ Truth _______A Lie _____________Truth

Sat: _____ Truth_______A Lie _____________ Truth

Sun:_____ Truth_______ A Lie _____________Truth

"Yesterday I was lying and two days after tomorrow I will be lying again"

Monday: The lion lied about both parts of his statement, but that was okay because he is allowed to lie on Monday.

Tuesday: The lions statement contained a lie and because it is Tuesday he is allowed to lie.

Wednes: The lions statement contained a lie and because it is Wednesday he is allowed to lie.

Thursday: The lions statement contained a lie and he tells the truth on a Thurday.

Friday: The lions statement contained a lie and he tells the truth on a Friday.

Saturday: The lions statement contained a lie and he tells the truth on a Saturday.

Sunday: The lions statement contained a lie and he tells the truth on a Sunday.

If you take the statement as a whole then if said on every day he would have lied every day.

He lies on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday so this statement could have been said on any one of these days.

"and" used to connect words of the same part of speech, clauses, or sentences that are to be taken jointly.

If you take away the "and" and make the statement two seperate statements then the Lion would only have been able to say this on Monday.

However by combining the two we have to treat the statement as one (a whole) and part of the statement on all days contained a lie and because the Lion lies on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, he could have said this on any of these days.

A few things to consider before making my final decision:

Who is Alice?

Is Alice a Human?

Who is the Lion having for dinner Alice or the Unicorn?

The forest of forgetfulness - does it have any relevance to this riddle?

The Lion is a male!

Okay here goes. The Lion could have said this on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

:)

Correct "Yesterday I was lying and two days after tomorrow I will be lying again" is not an A and B scenario its just A because its just 1 sentence, and the sentence is a lie.

The only answer is Monday...

The Lion lies on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. He tells the truth on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

On Monday (Lying day), the Lion says, "Yesterday (Sunday - Truthful day) I lied and two days after tomorrow (Thursday - Truthful day) I will also lie." And this statement is correct because can will be telling the truth on Sunday and Thursday, but since he's lying on Monday, he will say that he was lying on Sunday (not true) and he will lie on Thrusday (not true)

On Tuesday (Lying day), however, if he says, "Yesterday (Monday - Lying day) I lied and two days after tomorrow (Friday - Truthful day) I will also lie," he will be telling the truth for the first part, and he cannot tell the truth on a Tuesday, hence Tuesday is not a possible answer.

On Wednesday (Lying day), if the Lion says, "Yesterday (Tuesday - Lying day) I lied and two days after tomorrow (Saturday - Truthful day) I will also lie," he will again be telling the truth on the first part, and he cannot tell the truth on a Wednesday, hence Wednesday is no a possible answer.

Also note that the use of and joins the two parts of the statement making the whole thing one solid statement that in order for it to be true, both sides will have to be true.

• 3 months later...

I find it fasinating how so many can jumble this simple puzzle.

The answer is THURSDAY....not Monday. Here is why.

The lion lies on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. So he tells the truth on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

He states : " I lied yesterday and two days after tomorrow I will lie again."

Let's break it down. I say Thursday and not Monday because the first part " I lied Yesterday" is a true statement.

If he said this on Monday it would also be a TRUE statement therefore it could not be on Monday because on Monday he does not make true statements.

Ok, now look at the second part of the statement. "Two days AFTER tomorrow, I will lie again". Making that statement on THURSDAY would mean...tomorrow is Friday. Two days AFTER tomorrow would be MONDAY (a LYING DAY).

I think this is the part people are getting confused about. TWO DAYS AFTER TOMORROW.

Take the AFTER TOMORROW part. If tomorrow is Friday then the day AFTER tomorrow is SATURDAY.

Now Start with Saturday. In one day it will be Sunday. In TWO days it will be MONDAY.

This answers all the criteria of the riddle.

While Monday meets the criteria for the Second part of the riddle "Two days After tomorrow I will be lying again" which is a lie, it fails to meet the criteria of the first part which states "Yesterday I was lying" which is the truth.

That is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

• 4 weeks later...

This puzzle could work out no matter what you view as "two days after tomorrow". The lion made said statement on Thursday, and this is how it could work.

The puzzle clearly states that the lion lies on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and tells the truth on every OTHER day, which could mean he lies on Friday and Sunday. Now, with this in mind, the lion saying this on Thursday, which would make this statement true, lied yesterday (Wednesday) and will be lying two days from tomorrow (Friday) which could be Monday, an already claimed lying day, or Sunday, one of those "other" days that isn't necessarily stated.

So, whatever your definition of "two days after tomorrow" may be, Thursday fits the puzzle, in the immortal words of Jim Carey, "LIKE A GLOVE!"

-Chipmonk

• 2 months later...

I believe the answer is Monday. If the lion can ONLY TELL LIES on Monday-Wednesday, then NO parts of his statement can be true if spoken ON Mon-Wednesday. Thus, "I lied yesterday (Sunday)" was a lie, and "2 days from tomorrow (Thursday) I will lie again" is also a lie.

It can't be Thursday because only the first 1/2 of the statement would be true. If you count "2 days after tomorrow" from Thursday, It takes you to Sunday (Not a lying day).

If spoken on Monday (HAS TO BE ALL LIES): 1st part = LIE, 2nd part = Lie. Parameters met.

If spoken on Thursday(HAS TO BE ALL TRUTH): 1st part = Truth, 2nd part = Lie. Parameters NOT met.

Monday is the only day that he could have made the statement such that all of the parameters are met.

Anyone else find it slightly humorous that the Lion is Lyin' ?... Sorry... It was right there... :D

For arguments sake:

Spoke---Tomorrow---One day after----2 days after--------------------------------------

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday

What other definition could there be for 2 days after tomorrow?

• 3 weeks later...
i'm surprised that no one considered the semantic argument... when we are informed that the lion lies on monday, tuesday, and wednesday, we cannot be certain this fact describes a propensity toward fibbing, as all here have assumed, or merely a state of recumbency. homonyms, anyone?
I'm rather surprised no one else is pciking up on this, even after 4 more pages or so...I like this one, so I'm going to stick with it. We know he is lying down for sure on Mon-Wed (and potentially on other days, never specified). He speaks the truth Thur-Sun. He could lie down on those days, since these aren't contradictory statements.

My two cents.

:P

Don't flame.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

monday is the correct answer. Try to see this riddle from a programmers point of view. (yesterday I was lying AND two days after tomorrow, I will be lying again). Both the statements have to be true or false for this sentence to check out. On the other hand, if the lion said that he was lying yesterday OR he will be lying again two days after tomorrow, only 1 would have to be true or false. In programming, both statements would have to be true, but in this case, both have to be either true or false, which leaves us to 1 day. Monday (both statements are false, and there is no other day those 2 statements are the same.

• 4 months later...

I see most of the answers are either monday or thursday

i believe it is monday because of the same reason..

and because he was lying at the moment. he was in the forest of forgetfulness so he could have not remembered if he lied yesterday.. therefore he was lying..

Agreeing with Einstein on this one.

Considering his entire statement as a boolean value, it can only return: True or False.

Therefore there's no way he could only be lying about one part unless he said it in two different sentences. For example..

'Yesterday I was lying.' = True

'Two days after tomorrow I'll be lying again.' = False

But seeing as it's one statement we must assume:

'Yesterday I was lying and two days after tomorrow I'll be lying again' = True || False

Tuesday = True && False = Impossible.

Wednesday = True && False = Impossible.

Thursday = True && False = Impossible.

Friday = False && True = Impossible.

Saturday = False && True = Impossible.

Sunday = False && True = Impossible.

Monday = False && False = Solution.

Edited by Artificial