BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Lion and Unicorn II.

rookie1ja

Since in this puzzle the lion says “Yesterday I was lying AND two days after tomorrow I will be lying again.” That means that rookie1ja and his logic table from wikipedia are correct, because they deal with statements that have AND as a Logical conjunction. If the lion said, “Yesterday I was lying. Two days after tomorrow I will be lying again.” Then the answer would be Monday, because if he says it in this way then they are in fact two different statements, and therefore the must either both be true or both be false, and Monday is the only day that will fulfill those conditions.

I think that is correct and I hope it helps with the confusion

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not logical take only part of the lion's sentance as what he said. It would be like taking something out of context.

The statement "Yesterday I was lying" is true on a monday and not tuesday or wednesday.

The statement " Yesterday I was lying and two days after tomorrow I will be lying again" is not true on monday, tuesday, or wednesday." Which means he would be lying on a monday, tuesday, or, wednesday, which is allowed.

answer is: monday, tuesday, or wednesday.

• 2 months later...

Speaking strictly in the logical definition of a conjunction the entire sentnce is false on monday tuesday and wednesday. the difference in the correctness of the answers comes when you approach the issue of when it is a lie. I approached it as always lying is to speak absolutely no truth. if the question is approached with this line of thinking then monday is the only correct answer because it eliminates the possibility of false/true making the only answer possiblities being true/true (telling the truth) and false/false (telling a lie).

Or you could just pick monday regardless of the line of thought and always be right :lol:

• 1 month later...

thursday- the day before he would have lied for it was wedsnday- two days after tomorrow friday, plus two days staurday sunday- monday would be a lying day-

I really think that the day is Thursday too. What if the statements the Lion was saying was the truth? Telling the truth on Thursday means he was lying on Wednesday (which was yesterday). Tomorrow would be Friday; two days after friday would Monday. That the way I see it.

Lion and Unicorn II. - Back to the Logic Problems

Alice came across a lion and a unicorn in a forest of forgetfulness. Those two are strange beings. The lion lies every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and the other days he speaks the truth. The unicorn lies on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, however the other days of the week he speaks the truth.

Lion said: Yesterday I was lying and two days after tomorrow I will be lying again.

Which day did he say that?

Lion and Unicorn II. - solution

This conjunction is true only if both parts are true. The first part is true only on Thursday, but the second part is a lie then (Sunday is not a lying day of the Lion). So the whole statement can never be true (at least one part is not true). Therefore the Lion could have made the statement on Monday, on Tuesday and even on Wednesday.

unless i have read the question wrong i think the lion could have only made this statement on the monday.

because the lion lies on tuesday and wednesday he cannot tell the truth. but in the first part of the riddle he states " yesterday i was lying" which is true but on tuesday and wednesday he can only lie

which makes either the riddle wrong or the answer wrong

prove me wrong

Quwandong

p.s

great job on the other riddels though keep em coming

Kindly explain if i am worng. The answer is Thursday.

If we assume the day is Thursday. Then he is saying truth. he was lying yesterday(mon- wed Lion lie) then he says two days after tomorrow i will lie again- means two days after Friday Lion will lie again. So the Lion will lie again on Monday.

Is it not Right ?????

Okay. The answer to this riddle is actually quite simple if you really think about it. The solution is Thursday. The lion says "Yesterday I was lying and two days after tomorrow I will be lying again." It says the lion lies every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and every other day he speaks the truth. Okay...let's break it down for all of you. Yesterday is Wednesday. The lion was lying on Wednesday. And then two days AFTER tomorrow he will be lying again. So Tomorrow being Friday...add two days (Saturday and then Sunday)...leaves Monday. The solution to the question "Which day did he say that?" is Thursday.

Ok the answer can be Monday also but i am confused with Thursday part. Will two days after tomorrow would be Sunday or Monday, assuming today is Thursday.

urm what does 2 days after tomorrow mean??? is that 3 days after today or 2?????

because i find that if it was 3 days it would be on monday and if was 2 it would be no day at all!! erm is this just simply too shallow or not logical at all or have i just got it hopelessly wrong??????

This conjunction is true only if both parts are true. The first part is true only on Thursday, but the second part is a lie then (Sunday is not a lying day of the Lion). So the whole statement can never be true (at least one part is not true). Therefore the Lion could have made the statement on Monday, on Tuesday and even on Wednesday.

I completely agree with the first part of your reasoning. BUT, the whole statement can also never be false on tuesdays and wednesdays as his first part would be true(he had indeed been lying the previous day), and so, you can conclude that the statement was made on monday, where, both parts of his satement would be false. :D

Tomorrow would be Friday; two days after friday would Monday. That the way I see it.

Two days after friday would be sunday and he wouldn't be lying on that day which makes lion's statement false but, he couldn't have made a false statement on thursday. PARADOX.

So, we can only conclude that he said it on monday <see my other reply for reasoning>

the lion lies on mon-wed and the rest of the week he tells the truth. His statement has two parts. The first one says he was "lying yesterday" which means that he would need to have said it on Thursday, the second says he will be lying again "two days after tomorrow" since he said it on Thursday then he would be lying again on Sunday and Sunday is not a lying day. Therefore, the statement is not true and he must have said it on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. ;)

I tried to explain it as clear as I could, sorry if I just made it more confusing :)

Wow - hot damn, people.

Logical conjunction is well defined. It doesn't matter what you imagine it to mean. All this opining on the definition of "AND" makes no more sense than arguing about the meaning of addition. Get over it.

Beyond grasping basic logical connectives, maybe read up on DeMorgan's Law, as well.

It's really simple.

A: the Lion was lying yesterday.

B: the Lion will be lying three days from now.

The Lion made the statment "A /\ B". That statment is NEVER TRUE. So it is always false. So the lion could make that statment on any day he was lying. Simple as that.

Applying DeMorgan's Law, we start with the original statment (A /\ B), negate it ( ~(A/\B) ), and convert it by applying the law ( ~A\/~B ). The lion can make this statment on any day that (~A\/~B) evaluates to TRUE.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On second thoughts I think this statement can be made on a Monday, Tuesday or a Wednesday. Because this statement can be false if one is true and the other one is false or if both are false.

Edited by Vishmi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

... as you say, Lion made a joke on Monday, or Tuesday or Wednesday,

or, as Larryhl says, it can also be Thursday (if two days after tomorrow is Monday),

or I forgot about "Forest of forgetfullness"?

Edited by boen

• 1 month later...

Alice came across a lion and a unicorn in a forest of forgetfulness. Those two are strange beings. The lion lies every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and the other days he speaks the truth. The unicorn lies on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, however the other days of the week he speaks the truth.

Lion said: Yesterday I was lying and two days after tomorrow I will be lying again.

Which day did he say that?

Lion and Unicorn II. - solution

I don't think the lion could have said that Tuesday because he said yesterday (Monday) I was lying...but that is TRUE, therefore could not have made that claim on a Tuesday (or Wednesday). Monday is the only day his statement is true-true

• 3 weeks later...
The answer has to be monday.

just because both halfs of the sentence are true does not make it the only answer.

if it were tuesday then half of the sentence would be false making the whole derivation false.