BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Shakeepuddn

Question

Happily halved by the one, ten and six to form

Five hundred more upon a seat, unmoving moving charms.

Unanswered riddles adorn the air, smoke comprises skin,

Not of fire, smoke of stroke, posture free of sin.

Merchants mate of unknown fate, hands proclaiming rank—

Right on port, of fault bereft, pillars at the flank.

Lain upon hard-wood deck, essence but a stain,

Pirated by patriot, the loss a nation's pain.

The world beyond is but a myth, one we cannot live in,

Intended as a mother’s mirror . . .

A birthday gift un-given.

Happily halved by the one, ten and six to form

Five hundred more upon a seat, unmoving moving charms.

Unanswered riddles adorn the air, smoke comprises skin,

Not of fire, smoke of stroke, posture free of sin.

Merchants mate of unknown fate, hands proclaiming rank—

Right on port, of fault bereft, pillars at the flank.

Lain upon hard-wood deck, essence but a stain,

Pirated by patriot, the loss a nation's pain.

The world beyond is but a myth, one we cannot live in,

Intended as a mother’s mirror . . .

A birthday gift un-given.

Sorry for so many guesses. I have alot of time to spare at work and I really want to try to figure this out.

Perhaps it is the black knight in chess?

Hmm.

ten and six to form obviously means sixteen years to make, and 500 more upon a seat could mean that's how long it's been around? The only Oxymoron in the Riddle is "unmoving moving" charms, so first is intransitive verb and second means to move "something," correct?

Hmm.
ten and six to form obviously means sixteen years to make, and 500 more upon a seat could mean that's how long it's been around? The only Oxymoron in the Riddle is "unmoving moving" charms, so first is intransitive verb and second means to move "something," correct?

Ahab, yes on all. You're on the right track.

To all, I will be leaving town for a week for Lunar New Year Holiday and out of communication. I will leave you with . . .

To end the game you must set sail to My Lady first and find a name.

Good luck!

P.S. Thanks to whomever for the ratings. Bye!

Edited by Shakeepuddn

Smoke of stroke (not fire) - stroke of a paintbrush? "Smoke" = paint to make the skin. Perhaps a smokey cast to the painting?

Mother's mirror - a portrait painting then (a painting of a woman)

I think the answer is the Mona Lisa

1) It was painted in the 16th century, and also took 16 years to paint ("ten and six to form")

2) It is a half-length portrait ("happily halved")

3) She is sitting ("uppon a seat")

4) Named for Lisa del Giocondo, to celebrate the birth of her son ("A birthday gift", "mother's mirror")

5) She is traditionally believed to be the one who sat for the portrait

6) Smokey colors and shading techniques ("smoke of stroke")

7) It is approximately 500 years old ("500 more upon a seat")

8) She is described as moving and charming, yet she herself does not move ("unmoving moving charms")

9) The landscape is imaginary ("the world beyond is but a myth... " etc)

10) Da Vinci was never paid for his work and never delivered it to those who commissioned it ("gift un-given")

11) The painting was stolen by Vincenzo Peruggia stole it in 1911. He was an Italian patriot ("pirated by patriot")

12) It has undergone much restoration, including to the original frame ("hard-wood deck") and the varnish ("essence but a stain" ?) "Of fault bereft" could also refer to the restoration, and "pillars at the flank" could refer to braces added to the rear of the frame to stabilize a crack.

Also to go with your clue from earlier about "My Lady", "Mona" is a shortening of "Madonna", from Italian ma donna meaning "my lady"

Smoke of stroke (not fire) - stroke of a paintbrush? "Smoke" = paint to make the skin. Perhaps a smokey cast to the painting?

Mother's mirror - a portrait painting then (a painting of a woman)

I think the answer is the Mona Lisa

1) It was painted in the 16th century, and also took 16 years to paint ("ten and six to form")

2) It is a half-length portrait ("happily halved")

3) She is sitting ("uppon a seat")

4) Named for Lisa del Giocondo, to celebrate the birth of her son ("A birthday gift", "mother's mirror")

5) She is traditionally believed to be the one who sat for the portrait

6) Smokey colors and shading techniques ("smoke of stroke")

7) It is approximately 500 years old ("500 more upon a seat")

8) She is described as moving and charming, yet she herself does not move ("unmoving moving charms")

9) The landscape is imaginary ("the world beyond is but a myth... " etc)

10) Da Vinci was never paid for his work and never delivered it to those who commissioned it ("gift un-given")

11) The painting was stolen by Vincenzo Peruggia stole it in 1911. He was an Italian patriot ("pirated by patriot")

12) It has undergone much restoration, including to the original frame ("hard-wood deck") and the varnish ("essence but a stain" ?) "Of fault bereft" could also refer to the restoration, and "pillars at the flank" could refer to braces added to the rear of the frame to stabilize a crack.

Also to go with your clue from earlier about "My Lady", "Mona" is a shortening of "Madonna", from Italian ma donna meaning "my lady"

I'd have to say that either you're correct, or you found an alternate answer. Well done. I'm still almost sure I've heard some of these themes together under another context. It will pop into my head sooner or later.

Once again, excellent riddle Shakee. I agree this may be your best to date. And thank you for the spelling correction. I was shocked by my own ignorance! <_<

Dwilly, well done!

"Unanswered riddle adorns the air"

(the ever enigmatic smile adorns her air/persona)

"Smoke of stroke"

(good call on this. Da Vinci pioneered the method of painting with multi-layered strokes of different shades called "sfumato" to paint her hair and skin. Literally translated as "smoke."

Her posture (free of sin) and hand pose (right over left/port) is to indicate both social rank and status as a virtuous and faithful wife.

The painting is oil (stain) on hard poplar panal (hard wood deck).

The pillars able to be seen in the painting on either side of her (flank) are for a loggia of some sort.

Everything else you nailed right on time. Oustanding, and thanks for playing :D