BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I just happened to notice that there are a lot of kids on here still in school (middle, high school, college, etc.) and I thought it would be a great idea to have a section about Homework Help. People could post lets say a math problem, and the BD community could tell them how to do it. I found this very affective on Yahoo! Answers, which I think by bringing it to BrainDen would make BD grow and also more resourceful. (not saying it isnt already :) ). Plus, I am one of those kids in school, and I know there are some very intellegent people on here (well duh... :rolleyes: ), and it would come in handy for me especially. What do you guys think?

Here is a link to the forum on Yahoo! Answers about homework help, so you can see how it works. :)

Edited by Jrod_Writer13

Actually I think that's an awesome idea. The kinds on her that are around the same age range my have some of the same questions so by one asking it, those who may feel silly for asking the same question will get their answer too. There are enough of us on here who are very knowledgeable in all subjects that I don't see why we couldn't offer our help to the younger generation. :)

Actually I think that's an awesome idea. The kinds on her that are around the same age range my have some of the same questions so by one asking it, those who may feel silly for asking the same question will get their answer too. There are enough of us on here who are very knowledgeable in all subjects that I don't see why we couldn't offer our help to the younger generation. :)

And us kids offering our help to the older generation! ;)

I'm against it because it could easily go out of control.

The only thing they might need help with is math and physics, maybe chemistry, everything else they can easily find by googling.

But... I'm against it.

I agree that it could go out of control on a board that hasn't got watchful moderators. I hope Brainden moderators will be up to the task if implemented (I have little reason to doubt that they will be up to the task).

Maths and science answers could also be found by googling. I think that it could work if the student opened a thread (after making sure it hasn't been posted before) by saying, "I've got this problem with my homework.........., I've found the answer is..........., but I don't understand why." (This could easily be the job of the teachers I suppose.) Rather than a post simply asking for the answer.

I'm sure that asking for help on a debatable matter could end up nasty / confusing / not end at all! However, only the most basic of maths and science is undisputable. E.g. How do you spell 'Colour'? ;)

Personally, I think that it shows willing on behalf of the student if they are looking to their on-line friends for help with school. I would not like to stand in the way of that. I'm not sure any academic establishment will accept Brainden (worthy as it may be) a suitable source for homework though. :(

I think it is a very good idea, Jrod! There are a couple of flaws here and there, and most of them were mentioned in some of the above comments. I think it could work, but the moderators would have a lot of work to do, and most BD people will use this thread solely to get their questions answered. There are also little problems like how will the questions be asked (a new topic for each one will get hectic, whilst more than one question on a thread can get a bit confusing). It's definitely an interesting suggestion though!

Now when I was a kid, we went to the library and did research with the card catalogs. I am not opposed to your idea at all. I just think that there are many other places on-line or by telephone or library, to get the help required.

This site has a multitude of forums and, perhaps, it's not as necessary as it seems. :D

Man, you know what I hate most? When teachers made you site 2+ books in your projects/essays and say you can only use the internet for one of your three resources. I remember once I put "<website>, my logic, and my critical thinking". Didn't get a very good bibliography grade, but who cares.

Edited by Izzy

Man, you know what I hate most? When teachers made you site 2+ books in your projects/essays and say you can only use the internet for one of your three resources. I remember once I put "<website>, my logic, and my critical thinking". Didn't get a very good bibliography grade, but who cares.

curiosity killed the cat......

.....And so did experimenting with bibliographies...

So my vote? Yes.

VOTE:

yes:

Peace

No:

Check out math and physics help sites that are out there now.

They have a protocol which could be a model for use here.

Especially the part about [not] giving answers per se, but helping to find the right approach, etc.

I would be willing to participate, with no guarantee of time of response, as I'm sure others would.

- bn

"Homework Help" forum is a great idea. There is a lot of kids and a lot of smart people skilled in many fields here.

Rules for the forum are already prepared and the main focus is on HELP with homework and not doing homework for someone.

Check "Miscellaneous" section for the new forum - coming soon. All willing to help could write their field of expertise in the first topic (sticky) in the new forum.

Thanks to all willing to help with homework.

"Homework Help" forum is a great idea. There is a lot of kids and a lot of smart people skilled in many fields here.

Rules for the forum are already prepared and the main focus is on HELP with homework and not doing homework for someone.

Check "Others" section for the new forum - coming soon. All willing to help could write their field of expertise in the first topic (sticky) in the new forum.

Thanks to all willing to help with homework.

This is a great idea! I hope I can contribute somehow.

I think it would be a good idea to put a sticky in that forum (or an announcement thing) like the New Puzzles category with some information about asking a question. It's still early in this thing's life, and I've already seen 2 questions where I just found myself going "what are they asking?" I think that if people know in advance what kind of information we need to help them, it'll make things go smoother. Ideas I have for that include:

Grade level

Topic

Background information

Purpose (term paper? Math problem? Research project?)

Anyone else have any ideas here?

I think it would be a good idea to put a sticky in that forum (or an announcement thing) like the New Puzzles category with some information about asking a question. It's still early in this thing's life, and I've already seen 2 questions where I just found myself going "what are they asking?" I think that if people know in advance what kind of information we need to help them, it'll make things go smoother. Ideas I have for that include:

Grade level

Topic

Background information

maybe what you've looked at too. then people could get an idea about what you're doing if you haven't made it clear, or about like-minded things to help you. Just some links.

Grade level

Topic

Background information

maybe what you've looked at too. then people could get an idea about what you're doing if you haven't made it clear, or about like-minded things to help you. Just some links.

maybe also when the assignments due.