BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

andromeda

Question

“OK! I disabled the motion detector... I think it’s safe to go in now”, Andromeda silently creept through the balcony door into the immense library.

“You THINK it’s safe?” Grayven wasn’t comfortable with Andromeda’s lack of confidence.

“Schhhhh... keep your voice down! It’s even bigger than I remember”, Andromeda took off her balaclava to look around.

“Now what?” Grayven was in a hurry to get this over with.

“I have no idea... I was hoping that I’ll know what to do once I’m in... but... sorry...” Andromeda apologized.

“Great... instead of being home with my wife, I’m here... in a billionaire’s mansion stealing artifacts...” Grayven was second guessing his decision to accompany his friend in her crazy endeavor.

“We are not stealing... we are only breaking and entering. Besides, I only want what’s rightfully mine. Grandma left that statue to me! It’s my legacy!” Andromeda was convinced that she was doing the right thing.

“OK...” Grayven sighed. “What now?”

“Well... um... we’ll just take a look around... we only have to find the safe and crack the code to open it” she replied.

“It’s a good thing we scheduled dealing with the effects of global warming, curing the plague and saving the world from an asteroid for some other day of the week, cause seriously I don’t know how in the world would we be able to manage all of that in one night?!” Grayven’s sarcasm was always entertaining Andromeda... but not this time. She pierced his eyes with a long stare and squeezed out through her teeth “Go look around!”

“Alright grumpy”, Grayven took her ‘advice’ a started silently pacing around the library until they both ended up at the large desk.

“Wasn’t she pretty” said Andromeda holding her Grandma’s photo. “When Grandpa died she remarried to this guy, they spent little less than three years together before she died and he just didn’t want to give up any of her possessions to her family and she promised me that I can have that statue, but he wouldn’t listen...”

“Andro... what does this picture represent?” Grayven took a weird photo off the desk.

n1348292115_207640_3916.jpg

“I have no idea?!” she replied.

“I think it’s a picture puzzle” Grayven’s eyes sparkled, “I think I know what it says!”

Grayven went to the book shelf and without hesitation pulled a certain book. The wall silently opened to reveal a massive safe. Andromeda greeted his discovery with a big happy grin. “I knew I didn’t bring you with me just to hold the flash light!”

“Don’t thank me yet. We are only half way there” Grayven was reserved.

“OK, what now? Seriously, I have never seen a four digit safe keypad” Andromeda’s enthusiasm suddenly dissipated.

n1348292115_207639_3773.jpg

“Well maybe we should just use the picture puzzle solution” said Grayven and started to punch in the numbers.

What book did Grayven pull?

What numbers did he punch in?

:)

No math, anagrams and funny stuff

;)
Edited by andromeda

Was it a chemistry book? Se standing for Selenium. Then the code would be 3434, based on its atomic number and the fact it's repeated twice?

Welcome to the Den! It's funny, cause you only been here for a while and you already think like a Braindenizen!

Good thinking, but the answer is no.

Little help then!

The picture will give you a two word phrase that will lead you to a story (Google) that will lead you to a book!

Nuff said I'm off to zzzzzz...

-_-

Looks like an "open SE" and then another picture that is the "SAME," so together they are "open SE SAME." So the book is the arabian nights. specifically, the tale of ali baba and the 40 thieves. though i am not sure what number would follow as a result of that. 1001? (for the number of nights? but there are no zeros...

Looks like an "open SE" and then another picture that is the "SAME," so together they are "open SE SAME." So the book is the arabian nights. specifically, the tale of ali baba and the 40 thieves. though i am not sure what number would follow as a result of that. 1001? (for the number of nights? but there are no zeros...

Welcome to the den!

Funny i will say the same as andromeda! Been here for a short while and already think like a braindenzian! (but plz use spoiler boxes) which are (spoiler= word here) spoiler here (/spoiler0 but replave the ( with ['s :lol:

~RmZ

Btw, love the hunt andro!

Welcome to the Den g0atb0y37! :)

Next time use spoilers please ;)

You are spot on about the phrase! It is "Open Sesame"

:D Yes the book that Grayven pulled is "Tales From One Thousand and One Nights".

About the number code - read the end of the riddle what does Grayven say? The book and the story are not important here, just the phrase!

Yes! if goatboy is right,

Arabian Nights or Tales from 1001 nights. The Code is 41 because ali baba (1) + forty thieves (40) so, 41.

XP

Nice thinking but like I said in the riddle, only the phrase "Open Sesame" matters when generating the code!

;)

Basically you need to translate "OPENSESAME" into numbers!

Well done, G0atb0y. :D I thought of that, but I didn't want to throw anymore guesses at CPB. :P

EDIT: typo

What's CPB? :huh:

edot: Oops! I knew I knew! I knew what is CPB! Nice shortform. :D

But why not throw more guesses at CPB? :huh:

Edited by woon

Basically you need to translate "OPENSESAME" into numbers!

Nice thinking but like I said in the riddle, only the phrase "Open Sesame" matters when generating the code!
;)

you and your "no math" stipulation on puzzles always puts quite the difficult twist on them. I tried the standard A=1, B=2 code, and came up with 15-16-5-14-19-5-19-1-13-5. Doesn't work to type that into the keypad on the safe.

I tried using the periodic table, but there are no element symbols of Pe or En, so that doesn't work.

Tried using a phone keypad, got 6736737263. Again, can't type that into the keypad on the safe.

Tried your trick from Treasure hunt 2, and got 1-?-8-9-(6 or 7)-8-(6 or 7)-?-?-8. Not even close.

The only other thing I can think of right now is pen strokes needed to write each letter. So it would be 1233131343. Finally, a combination that is possible to punch into the keys on the safe! It's counting, but it's not math. :P Am I close? Should I be counting something else?

you and your "no math" stipulation on puzzles always puts quite the difficult twist on them. I tried the standard A=1, B=2 code, and came up with 15-16-5-14-19-5-19-1-13-5. Doesn't work to type that into the keypad on the safe.

I tried using the periodic table, but there are no element symbols of Pe or En, so that doesn't work.

Tried using a phone keypad, got 6736737263. Again, can't type that into the keypad on the safe.

Tried your trick from Treasure hunt 2, and got 1-?-8-9-(6 or 7)-8-(6 or 7)-?-?-8. Not even close.

The only other thing I can think of right now is pen strokes needed to write each letter. So it would be 1233131343. Finally, a combination that is possible to punch into the keys on the safe! It's counting, but it's not math. :P Am I close? Should I be counting something else?

Hahahah...

you are only three digits off. It's not the pencil strokes that you are supposed to be counting. No pen and paper this time

;) If you think about it M is only one pencil stroke and you wrote 4 and that's correct! :)

apparently my counting skills need honing. It should actually be 1243141344. Forgot to count the down stroke in the E, I guess, and didn't catch it until it was too late to edit.

:blush:

The book is "Tales From One Thousand and One Nights". (OP's comment)

apparently my counting skills need honing. It should actually be 1243141344. Forgot to count the down stroke in the E, I guess, and didn't catch it until it was too late to edit.
:blush:

That's correct! :D

[spoiler=The conclusion! Warning - bit cheesy! :lol: ]The massive safe door opened with a silent hiss revealing all it’s treasures. Letters, photos and various memorabilia including the desired statue that Andromeda wanted so much.

“OK... get the statue and let’s get the hell out of here!” Grayven was impatient.

“Wait... all this stuff... it’s worth nothing really... and he kept everything in the safe” Andromeda opened one of the letters and started to read them.

The door to the library suddenly opened. The old man turned on the light and walked slowly towards them. Grayven almost screamed, while Andromeda stood up with tears in her eyes “These letters date way back... you were in love with each other since you were teenagers...”

“Yes... she moved away and got married, but I was waiting for her. When your grandfather died I waited a year and I wrote her a letter asking her to marry me. To my surprise she said yes, unfortunately our “Until death do us part” didn’t last long, but I don’t regret the second of it” The old man calmly finished his story and gently smiled at Andromeda and her freaked out companion. “There’s no need to steal the statue, I have no children so one day all off this will be yours. Now I know it’s 3:00 AM, but how about some tea? We could also have a discussion about a painting I’ve seen in the National Gallery that’s not for sale, maybe you could be of some assistance there” said the old man and winked at two young thugs.

“You’re kidding right!” Andromeda laughed and waved to petrified Grayven who was still unsure whether he will spend the next 20 years in prison or not.

I hope you liked it! ;)

PS. Too bad that Grayven didn't catch this one in time :(

EDIT: Added lazboy's previous post! :)

Edited by andromeda

Wow! I love it. I love it so much!

Where do your this idea come from? I mean the story line, not the riddles. :)

Thanks Woon... :)

Well... you guys inspire me really! :D

My first two hunts didn't have any characters and then I decided to add members.

Andromeda's treasure hunt:

1. /

2. /

3. Inspired by Flinchum and the picture of his kids at his profile plus one more message on somebody's profile that he wrote and I read inspired me to write that story about him and his daughter.

4. Kat a Liam, brother and sister plus Christmas was all the inspiration I needed.

5. Perpetual flirting with Impervious did the trick :lol: (perpetual meaning in this case - never changing ;))

6. Fitz and I are both involved with the same branch of science - biology and he's quite athletic so I thought hm... agents on a mission; however I don't think I did justice on his personality... he has a much brighter character.

7. Itachi and I were involved in an edgy debate about ghosts and I thought I just might have some fun with that.

8. Grayven loves solving my riddles and I thought that his sarcasm will add up to the story... but I have no idea about the story line itself, it just popped my mind I guess; first I was thinking just stealing, but since it's not in my nature just to steal things from people I thought of stealing something that belongs to me... and that's where the story unfolded into what I wrote.

:grumble: stupid bathroom tiles! :mad: I missed everything! :(

"Andro" is right about me loving to work on her puzzles. :wub: This one would have been no exception, it was great! I would have gotten the first part quickly, as my wife just bought a copy of the book for me! (not that I've had time to sit down with it) I had it guessed by the second hint this time... darn my luck. I think the second part would have eluded me for sure, though. I'm easily confused. :wacko:

Oh, and just FYI: I'm not sarcastic, I'm "flippant" or "facetious" (which you captured quite nicely, I think). Sarcasm gets you in trouble around here, or so I've heard :blush:

I guess the only question left is... are we going after that painting or what?! B))

(note: did I get enough smileys in there?)

Edited by Grayven