BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

Let's get the book club started! ~for once ;) First book that gets 5 votes will be our first book to read and discuss. If you really want another book that isn't listed in the Poll, then post it and if 4 other people post that book as well, then that will be the one we read. I'm not sure how long it takes everyone to read, also these books vary greatly in length, so I guess just start discussing when you're done. When we've beaten the book to death, we can move on to the next one B)) and have a new poll and new topic for it. Here's to BD's Book Club! *cheers*

• Answers 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

:lol: , jinx. I posted 1 minute before you :P

Peter controls Locke, and Valentine controls Demosthenes, although they get ideas from each other for posts (well, in the beginning, anyways), and Val supposes this happens so that she can't post on the web without Peter knowing what it's about.

Darn it! <_<

I think we should wait to discuss the book until everyone is done. How many people do we have left?

YOU FORGOT DEMOSTHENES' NAME??? *strangles Peace*

by Valentine being on top or the comments?

Ooh, I guess we shouldn't be talking about the book yet without the host :blush:

i meann that in the end, it says that locke kinda ruled the earth, or was going to, and that was a reason she left.

i meann that in the end, it says that locke kinda ruled the earth, or was going to, and that was a reason she left.

Well, Locke was being backed up by the IF and Hegemon (I think...) since he went against Demosthenes, who was essentially causing problems by saying that the Russians were going to break the Warsaw Pact. Then, after Locke stopped the war raged after Ender defeated the buggers, he became more of a hero, and had such power over those who have power over everyone else that it was only a matter of time before Locke eventually takes over the world

:P Demosthenes wasn't mentioned much anymore so I'm guessing that Locke was the big thing now, and eventually Val withdrew completely, leaving only Locke to...take over the world? :lol: Just my interpretation...I got iffy when it comes to politics, in books and in real life :rolleyes:

Well, Locke was being backed up by the IF and Hegemon (I think...) since he went against Demosthenes, who was essentially causing problems by saying that the Russians were going to break the Warsaw Pact. Then, after Locke stopped the war raged after Ender defeated the buggers, he became more of a hero, and had such power over those who have power over everyone else that it was only a matter of time before Locke eventually takes over the world
:P Demosthenes wasn't mentioned much anymore so I'm guessing that Locke was the big thing now, and eventually Val withdrew completely, leaving only Locke to...take over the world? :lol: Just my interpretation...I got iffy when it comes to politics, in books and in real life :rolleyes:

Yeah...

Oh, yeah that part kinda confused me too...I'm really not a politics person, but from what I understood, Demosthenes was the more popular one, but when Ender defeated the Buggers, Val left, leaving some message from Demosthenes, and went to writing histories of the new colony, leaving Peter to do what he pleased.

<(^-^)>

Yeah...

Oh, yeah that part kinda confused me too...I'm really not a politics person, but from what I understood, Demosthenes was the more popular one, but when Ender defeated the Buggers, Val left, leaving some message from Demosthenes, and went to writing histories of the new colony, leaving Peter to do what he pleased.

<(^-^)>

yes. My point was that she said that locke ruled. Why would Locke rule if Demsthenes was the more popular one?

yes. My point was that she said that locke ruled. Why would Locke rule if Demsthenes was the more popular one?

You will want to keep reading the series'. I suggest the next book to read is Speaker for the Dead if you want to follow Ender and the Egg (You find out that Val does continue as Demothsenes), or you can read Ender's Shadow if you want to follow the story of Bean and the other kids who got out of battle school, like petra and others, including the story of how Locke/Peter become Hegemon. Both series are great and have their own unique stories to them. There are also a list of short stories which are attached to the Enderverse.

Edit: Speaker series is more philosophically focused and Shadow series is more focused on politics, war and manipulation.

Edited by IDoNotExist

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! :D

I went to the flea market this weekend and I have found Kurt Vonnegut "Cat's Cradle"! :D

When I bought it I had no idea that he was the guy that wrote "Slaughterhouse-Five"!!! :D

I'm about to start reading it! :D

This is the first time I have used five same smileys :D

I finally got to read Ender's Game. I thought it was pretty good :thumbsup: . But I was thinking about the whole communications issue, since basically the final war happened because the Buggers and the Humans couldn't communicate. This seems like an unrealistic situation to me. I don't see how there could be a complete lack of communication between two species that have communication among themselves. No math? No pictures? Other than that, I really liked it. The intuitive video game and the blogging by Peter and Valentine were pretty interesting to see from a novel published in 1985.

On another issue, when checking out Orson Scott Card, I found out he is outspoken against gays as seen here. I wouldn't bring this up normally, but I find it very strange after just reading Ender's Game. While reading it, I thought there were a few gay scenes between the boys and actually got the impression that Card himself was gay, since those parts seemed more written for pleasure than actually necessary to the story. Now after seeing this article, I'm fairly sure that he's gay and religiously repressed into disliking himself and gays in general. ~just a little psychoanalysis on my part, I could be totally mistaken, but thought it was interesting enough to bring up. B))

yeah I recently finished Ender's Shadow, the companion/parallel book to Ender's Game, it was really good... I also read a bunch of other classics and stuff like Slaughterhouse 5, 1984, etc - also excited that an Angels & Demons movie is coming out.

The only book left (for my interest) on the above list is GEB, a massive volume of math and philosophy, which I've been reading/skimming for a few days now :P

- also excited that an Angels & Demons movie is coming out.

Foxdung! I should finish that book soon *I think I started like a month ago, but got distracted by an Agatha Christie book...:unsure:*

<(^-^)>

Foxdung! I should finish that book soon *I think I started like a month ago, but got distracted by an Agatha Christie book...:unsure:*

<(^-^)>

:lol: , it's a great book, although if you're planning to watch the movie, you might want to hold for a bit. Books tend to be better than movies based on them :P

Start it? *I'm guessing that's what you mean* I just finished it last night :P The ending kinda reminded me of a soap opera, all *Gasp! Their evil twin did it?* Well there was no evil twin but you get what I mean xD I liked it though, it was really interesting, all the patterns and riddles :3

<(^-^)>

OMG, OMG, OMG!!! :D

I went to the flea market this weekend and I have found Kurt Vonnegut "Cat's Cradle"! :D

When I bought it I had no idea that he was the guy that wrote "Slaughterhouse-Five"!!! :D

I'm about to start reading it! :D

This is the first time I have used five same smileys :D

Cat's Cradle is a good book.

Cat's Cradle is a good book.

That's an understatement!! Cat's Cradle is an F-ing amazing book! :D

I never read science fiction before. I'm more of a realism type, but I was totally swept away by this one. My favorite part was how good the characters were built.

:)

Start it? *I'm guessing that's what you mean* I just finished it last night :P The ending kinda reminded me of a soap opera, all *Gasp! Their evil twin did it?* Well there was no evil twin but you get what I mean xD I liked it though, it was really interesting, all the patterns and riddles :3

<(^-^)>

:lol: that's how I felt about DaVinci Code, after which I decided never to read another Dan Brown book... and it looks like I was right :thumbsup:

:lol: that's how I felt about DaVinci Code, after which I decided never to read another Dan Brown book... and it looks like I was right :thumbsup:

Ditto...

So anyone fancy another book? I didn't join in in the last b/c of the book, I didn't mind, but I had other things I would have preferred to read. Or is the book club over now?

Edited by Joe's Student

i have a few ideas:

* I,Robot collection by Asimov ('bout time I should read them)

* Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge... interestingly enough, it's written for young ppl (grades 6-9 it says), however it has complex themes that go much deeper than the surface story and long beyond its intended age... either way I thought it was a great read, and I'd be interesting in rereading it know that I know all the twists and turns

* GEB - I'm already partway through this, and it's huge, and may not appeal to everyone. Just getting that out there ;D

* I can't think of anymore now but I probably will