BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Battle for Mt Olympus

itachi-san

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Night 6: The Oath of Pain

The depleted Trojan force began to pant and clutch their knees. Hector rounded on them and swore that he would lead them to victory even if he was the last Trojan to live. His words hit his men's hearts and souls and lifted their spirits renewing their will to fight on. "No matter what happens, I will fight for you all to my death. And I vow that if I should die on this night, my skills shall not be lost to you." Hector drew his short sword and slashed his palm. He clenched his fist and drew it to his chin, blood dripping from it. "I make this blood oath that I shall protect the young Prince Paris and bestow on him all my ability should I die. Fear not Trojans. Though we are weakened, our land will be preserved this night. And though we may lose, our spirits will never die!" The young Prince Paris was lifted by his brother's words. But he asked himself if he'd have what it took to fight for his life when it came down to it. He was still unsure of this, but managed to wear the face of a warrior despite his indecisiveness. Hector looked into his brother's eyes and gave him a satisfied clap on the shoulder. "Fear not my brother. I will not let harm befall you this night."

The Achaeans revved themselves up. All yelling and pounding their spears as if they had already won. Odysseus and Diomedes smiled with bloodlust. Even the wise old Nestor had taken up spear and seemed to be speaking to himself. Some of the other Achaeans took notice and could almost see the man's appearance brighten and look youthful for an instant. Then Nestor turned to them and stared them down. Not a one could meet the old warrior's gaze. Odysseus took up his spear and pointed it up at Hector's diminished force. "It's over Trojans! It's over Mankiller! Do yourself a favor and take your own lives! It will be much less painful then if we have to charge up this hill to take them from you by force!" The Achaeans all laughed, but suddenly became silent when they saw the words had invigorated Hector. It looked as if his eyes were hot fire as he charged down toward them.

Hector reached the Achaeans on horseback, spearing one after the other. "This battle isn't over..." he slew another. "Until we say it is over!" and flung the corpse into another Achaean. "I will not take any more of your verbal lashings..." spearing through two men, "...coward Odysseus! Too afraid to take me on in a fair fight! Always ready to sacrifice another in your place! What gives you..." stabbing his spear into the ground and loosing the bodies from it, "the priveledge?! Now join me Trojans and we shall cut through these cowards like a scythe through grass!" Paris took up Hector's flank and quickly unloaded arrow after piercing arrow through the Achaean's necks and underarms with perfect accuracy to avoid their armor. Hector rounded on reaymond. Odysseus saw that reaymond had not a chance against such a foe. He raised a hidden chain in the gorund and ran with it around Hector's warhorse. The horse fell and Hector toppled with it. Hector never lost his composure though, so when Odysseus attempted the fatal blow Hector grabbed his spear and launched Odysseus over his fallen horse and right into Paris. Joe's Student saw the commotion and knew he must save the young Prince. Odysseus turned to impale Paris, but his blade went through the diving JS in his stead. JS' blood covered Paris' face, who turned his stallion and fled in complete disarray and abandon for his fellow Trojans.

Diomedes stalked the battlefield, looking for his prey. But when he found JS already dead, he did not sigh in relief. Rather, he screamed a curse that the one he wanted to kill with his own spear was already dead. He was robbed of his prize. His anger over this injustice carried him on through the Trojan ranks slaying one after the other in a vicious frenzy.

As reaymond brushed the dirt off his shoulder and readied for more action, there came a soft yet unsettling voice from behind him. "You're not going anywhere." And when reaymond turned to look at the beauty Helen, he indeed heeded her words and fell incapacitated to the ground. Just before dawn, Odysseus found reaymond and slapped the man to his senses. "Her again?" "Wha..? Oh yes... Yes! Odysseus you simply must see her some night. You wouldn't believe your eyes." Odyseeus dropped reaymond's head back down onto the soil with a thud. reaymond's breath and mind were still enamored with this woman. Odysseus shook his head as he returned to the ships. "Hmmm. Though illogical, curiosity of her beauty is actually starting to overwhelm my senses. Maybe I'll take a peak tomorrow. ...with ample preparation for any ill will that seems to shroud her existence of course." He kept mumbling on as he passed his soldiers who all snickered a bit at the first time they saw General Odysseus contemplate such an absurdity.

Host: itachi

1) A. Person

2) Prof. Templeton

3) Frost -DEAD

4) dawh [Olympian]

5) Cherry Lane -DEAD

6) Twin Pop -DEAD [Trojan]

7) LIS -DEAD

8) SomeGuy

9) Joe's Student -DEAD

10) GC

11) PG

12) reaymond

13) impervious -DEAD

14) O'mally

15) unreality -DEAD

16) Brandonb [Achaean]

17) Y-San -DEAD [Achaean]

Day 6 begins now and ends in 24 hours. This outcome is looking an awful lot like the Iliad though... ;)

OK, I guess I'll start it... though I guess it doesn't really matter which one is lynched :P

1) A. Person

2) Prof. Templeton

3) Frost -DEAD

4) dawh [Olympian]

5) Cherry Lane -DEAD

7) LIS -DEAD

8) SomeGuy

9) Joe's Student -DEAD

10) GC

11) PG

12) reaymond

13) impervious -DEAD

14) O'mally

15) unreality -DEAD

16) Brandonb [Achaean] voting for - A. Person

1) A. Person

2) Prof. Templeton

3) Frost -DEAD

4) dawh [Olympian]

5) Cherry Lane -DEAD

7) LIS -DEAD

8) SomeGuy

9) Joe's Student -DEAD

10) GC

11) PG

12) reaymond voting for - A. Person

13) impervious -DEAD

14) O'mally

15) unreality -DEAD

I shall follow suit then ;)

1) A. Person

2) Prof. Templeton

3) Frost -DEAD

4) dawh [Olympian]

5) Cherry Lane -DEAD

7) LIS -DEAD

8) SomeGuy

9) Joe's Student -DEAD

10) GC

11) PG - voting for ALL of you wretched Achaeans!!!!! :angry:

12) reaymond

13) impervious -DEAD

14) O'mally

15) unreality -DEAD

Achaeans: Are you certain that this fight will be over ere the night ends? That it will end with a kill, and not a lynch?

We can safely lynch 1 more Trojan, after that no more Trojans will be lynched. ;) Whether it ends tonight or not.

1) A. Person

2) Prof. Templeton voting for - A. Person

3) Frost -DEAD

4) dawh [Olympian]

5) Cherry Lane -DEAD

7) LIS -DEAD

8) SomeGuy

9) Joe's Student -DEAD

10) GC

13) impervious -DEAD

14) O'mally

15) unreality -DEAD

1) A. Person

3) Frost -DEAD

4) dawh [Olympian]

5) Cherry Lane -DEAD

7) LIS -DEAD

8) SomeGuy - Voting for PuzzleGirl

9) Joe's Student -DEAD

10) GC

13) impervious -DEAD

14) O'mally

15) unreality -DEAD

Very well, then if you want to be sure you get one, then I recommend that you lynch the other one. She will not die, but will definitely cause a death in her stead.

Achaeans: Are you certain that this fight will be over ere the night ends? That it will end with a kill, and not a lynch?

Well, the longest lasting scenario for this game is that today A. Person survives the lynch, then tonight we kill A. Person but not PG. Meanwhile, Paris will be unable to kill any of us in return (b/c Odysseus will block her). Then, the next day will not even occur b/c we will have the votes to lynch PG, but she could get lucky and live through that lynch. So then we would just kill her that night.

All this is assuming that A. Person lives through the day AND that we don't double up our kills on Paris tonight so that the first gets deflected to A. Person and the second would kill PG.

So yeah... either way the game will end tonight. ;)

1) A. Person

3) Frost -DEAD

4) dawh [Olympian] - voting for A. Person

5) Cherry Lane -DEAD

7) LIS -DEAD

8) SomeGuy - Voting for PuzzleGirl

9) Joe's Student -DEAD

10) GC

13) impervious -DEAD

14) O'mally

15) unreality -DEAD

Very well, then if you want to be sure you get one, then I recommend that you lynch the other one. She will not die, but will definitely cause a death in her stead.

Would it though? Hera won't kill a Trojan if she presides over the sacrifice, regardless of who is on the altar... :unsure:

I'm not sure what the Trojans think can happen, as I don't see any outs for them... :o

You're right. Should Hera stand at the Altar to receive the sacrifice then it will not matter who is given, but at least an Olympian will not accidentally be offered.

There were only three Trojans left last night. Hector, Helen and Paris all acted, so there are no Olympians left on their side.

Day 6: Luck finds the Trojans, only too late

A. Person stood before Hermes' shrine and raised the body of a goat, once stabbed. He carefully placed the goat on the altar so that its blood would flow about through the indented symbol on the floor. The symbol was that of a wing in honor of the Winged-Foot God Hermes. The blood stopped at a point though, so that only two thirds of the symbol was coated in the red blood of an official offering. A. Person stepped back from the shrine and gazed up at the statue of the Messenger God which almost looked to move in his direction and wink at him. After he scrubbed his glazed eyes, the statue had returned to its lifeless state.

A white hand then gently rested on his shoulder. He spun to face the Queen Goddess Hera. Hera wore a scowl. "I had much faith in you Trojans. Oh, how I wished for your victory over those filthy Achaean monsters... *sigh* at least you have all fought bravely for my sake. If only I wasn't forbidden to act more in this affair. May you last on brave Trojan, though I fear your end is near..." Hera vanished and A. Person stood in awe and yet despair at the same moment, knowing full well what awaited his Trojans: a voyage across the River Styx.

1) A. Person [Trojan]

2) Prof. Templeton

3) Frost -DEAD

4) dawh [Olympian]

5) Cherry Lane -DEAD

7) LIS -DEAD

8) SomeGuy

9) Joe's Student -DEAD

10) GC

11) PG

12) reaymond

13) impervious -DEAD

14) O'mally

15) unreality -DEAD

16) Brandonb [Achaean]

Night 7 begins now and ends when I get the pms in. Good luck Trojans... you'll need a lot more than you got today ;)

It looks like the Trojans finally gave up given their PMs reverting to Helen and Paris eloping and fleeing the scene ;) I'll post the finale and the host's choice awards soon. :D The thing about the player stats is that a lot was done via PMs which are basically up to me to decide which ones were most logical and thoughtful. That being said, it's really obvious and they essentially go to the 5 most active and best reasoners during the game which happened to be one and the same. B))

Thanks for playing everyone! Last night post coming soon :)

Night 7: The horse of doom

Exhausted and out of ideas, the Trojan camp was thoroughly aggravated. They could hardly stand and listen to the inexperienced young Prince Paris any longer. "Rise up you fools! Just because Hector is dead there is no need to be so crestfallen! Rise up! Join me and..." The Trojans began to throw rocks at Paris, mocking him and praising the spirit of their fallen leader Hector. Paris retreated to the castle and found Helen sitting alone in the dark. She had been watching the meleé, a moonlit tear fell from her chin. Paris hugged her from behind and whispered: "Let us leave this disaster my dear. It is over for us and Troy. We could go to..."

Interrupting Paris' train of thought, the heavy gates began to open and a large wooden horse was being carted through it. "What is that?" he thought. Paris and Helen raced to the scene. He demanded an explanation as all the remaining Trojans crowded around in wonderment. An older Trojan general addressed Paris. "It is a gift from Achaea, believe it or not. Apparently they have exhausted their supplies and can carry on no longer. This gift was constructed for us so that we do not assault their retreat." A broad smile swept across Paris' face. They had done it! Lost so much, but actually beat those monstrous Achaeans back! Did Apollo abandon them then? Though confused all the Trojans rejoiced and had a splendid party in cheers to their victory.

Sun set. The Trojans slept, drunk and full, deep and dreamless, out like candles. The legs of the giant wooden gift horse creaked open ever so slightly. Odysseus led his men who had been hidden inside the hollow beast. He slit each guard's throat without a sound and the Achaeans advanced through the city, killing every Trojan in their path. Hera wept as she watched the slaughter. Poseidon uneasily stirred the seas in anticipation of the final victory call from those men he cherished. How crafty to gain entrance to the City of Troy, Poseidon thought. He swelled with pride for them. Aphrodite flew down to the beautiful lovers and woke them. Paris led Helen by the hand in an attempt to escape the city walls, but each way they turned, Achaeans were storming. Suddenly Helen seemed too light and quick. Paris looked back to see he was only carrying the stump of a severed arm. He dropped it and screamed like a girl. The Achaean demon-like warrior Diomedes then took a swing at Paris who dodged the swipe only to leap right into Odysseus' blade. Odysseus turned him around and spat in his face. Paris could only spurt up blood in defiance. Odysseus stared him down, "Troy will be erased from this Earth! Die coward. Fool. Weakling. At least your brother's blood was worth staining an Achaean blade, but you... you're far from worth it." He kicked Paris off and down to the ground where the young prince twisted in pain until he died. The Achaeans then raised Troy to the ground.

"You're my only hope, brother." Hera spoke to a man wearing a black cape and a black vicious-looking helmet. Behind the holes for his eyes, nose and mouth, only an even darker black could be seen as if he did not exist. "Please, Hades, take vengeance for me." Hades whipped his cloak around and looked Hera up and down. "You summoned me for that? What do I care about Troy or Achaea aside from the souls I've recently collected?" "Not them then. Zeus." She had garnered Hades' attention. "What about my brother?" "He wishes to rule over Tartarus. He has aligned with Poseidon, believing the two of them could destroy you." Hades laughed. "Hera... Zeus doesn't want Tartarus... that's why it's mine..." Hera knew she struck a nerve now. Hades would never forgive his brothers for essentially mocking him with the least valued dominion. Hades snarled. "To crumble Zeus' pedestal. That's always been my dream, and it seems yours as well. Worry not, I'll keep that secret safe." He smirked, a brief glimpse of fire could be seen behind his helmet. "What would you like me to do then? I'm all ears now Hera." Hera's face was serene, but her insides were leaping with joy. Hades would make such a valuable piece to the puzzle that would dethrone Zeus. And now he was ripe for use. "Well, there will need to be some extreme measures taken, but first..."

The Achaeans marched back to their ships with bundles of weapons, armor, and booty of course. Athena and Apollo left during the trek for Mount Olympus to report to Zeus per a message from Hermes. Odysseus then led them, as he had for some time now, but he paused when the ground erupted before them. As fast as lightning, and as dark as the night sky, a large figure on horse back flew up from a great depth to impede their descent. It was Hades himself! The Achaeans all dropped their spoils and took battle stances, swords unsheathed. Hades let forth a burst a fire so immense that all the Achaeans were sent back from the blast about twenty paces. A ring of fire surrounded both Hades and Odysseus. Odysseus' mind raced as he tried to think of how he could escape such an unfortunate event, but his thoughts were cut short by Hades' hand covering his face and pulling him toward his evil stallion. "Your leader has a price to pay in Tartarus. Yes. His punishment will be legendary. Know that he will not be able to escape on his own. So, if you wish to save him, you'll have to storm my castle and rest assured it will not be as easy as slaughtering those weak Trojans. No. You will all face death itself and it will eventually eat away at you until all your souls are mine!"

Diomedes spread his swords apart and raised his shoulders. "Why do this Lord Hades? What have we done to incur such wrath?" Hades threw a spear of fire through Diomedes' left arm, disintegrating it. The warrior fell to the ground in agony, but the Giant Ajax caught his friend before he hit the Trojan soil. The Lesser Ajax looked at Hades. A Demon God as hellish and vile as they come. Clad all in black atop a dead, yet living black stallion. The God held Odysseus by the face as if he were a doll. Odysseus could not even utter a sound. Hades gave the group a last glance and then vanished beneath the surface. The fire went out and the earth closed behind them. Nestor touched the ground where they vanished and pulled his hand away from the burning sensation. It was an evil feeling. Nestor only looked down at the charred earth "How do we get down to Tartarus? We'll need to call upon Athena I suppose." Calchus then grunted and coughed as if to make himself known to still be alive. "I... I may know a way... yes.. I remember now. The way to Hades' castle."

1) A. Person - Helen

2) Prof. Templeton - Odysseus

3) Frost - Priam

4) dawh - Apollo

5) Cherry Lane - Aeneas

6) Twin Pop - Agenor

7) LIS - Menelaus

8) SomeGuy - Hermes

9) Joe's Student - Hector

10) GC - Athena

11) PG - Paris

12) reaymond - Diomedes

13) impervious - Agamemnon

14) O'mally - Calchus

15) unreality - Ares

16) Brandonb - Nestor

17) Y-San - Achilles

Great game everyone and thanks for playing! Congratulations to the Achaeans and Hermes for winning! ;)

I don't know when the next one will be, but it will feature Athena, Apollo, Hermes, Odysseus, Nestor, Diomedes, and Calchus. The Top 5 players were pretty easy to pick out. Unfortunately, not everyone could see the BTSC conversations, because there was really great gameplay from everyone.

Prof. Templeton, dawh, Brandonb, SomeGuy and unreality stood out from the group though (sorry for having no grid of actions, but like I said, this is mostly based on BTSC discussion, and SG for winning as an Independent :) )

All of those characters and those 5 players (should they play in the next game) will have a super-special-secret ability. B))

Sign me up already. Any ideas on when it'll be?

And honestly? With the end how it was, I expected to show up and read essentially the end of the Iliad, and it started off that way, too... however, this was truly epic, and a lot of fun to read. Excellent work, Itachi, and thank you for running the game. I'll take my sekrits whenever you're ready, though :)

And honestly? With the end how it was, I expected to show up and read essentially the end of the Iliad, and it started off that way, too... however, this was truly epic, and a lot of fun to read. Excellent work, Itachi, and thank you for running the game. I'll take my sekrits whenever you're ready, though :)

Thanks! I'm not really sure when it will start. It might be a few weeks.

I forgot to mention Calchus' recruitment requirements. The first night/day cycle, the Achaean BTSC team had to get 4 people to type 'Tartarus' that were not on the BTSC team. I think they only got unreality ;)

The second was during the night. They had to get every player to post at least once, which was not even close :P

The third one was to get a God sacrificed. It could have been Athena or Apollo as long as no one on the Achaean BTSC team voted for them. Luckily for them everyone voted for dawh (Apollo) and they got Calchus :)

awesome game itachi! It was a shame to go so early on. Yet nonetheless fun to continue reading. Sing me up for the 2nd, whenever it is :)