BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

andromeda

Question

“We’ve been here for two weeks! If nothing happened in two weeks why do you think that something might happen tonight?” Itachi was unwilling to spend one more day in a supposedly hunted house.

“I can’t explain it, but I have a gut feeling that there’s something in this house” said Andromeda pleading for couple of more hours.

“You can’t publish your “gut feeling”, can you Mulder?” Itachi was pushing Andromeda’s buttons knowing that he has the upper hand.

“All right Scully, you win... ” Andromeda has given up knowing that she can’t surpass Itachi’s stubbornness.

Itachi-san and Andromeda were ghost-hunter enthusiasts, well... Andromeda was hoping to finally prove their existence while Itachi was gladly debunking the “evidence”. They were investigating an early Victorian mansion in England. The old man that lived there passed away a while ago but the staff that remained in the house for basic maintenance was experiencing strange noises at night.

They were packing up their high-tech gadgets, when Itachi took a paper and a pen and started doodling something.

“What are you writing?” Andromeda was curious, “I thought you wanted to leave this place as soon as possible and now you’re writing a poem?” she smiled, but her smile soon turned into a frown because he wasn’t responding.

“Hey! Stop ignoring me!” Andromeda yelled.

“What?” Itachi dropped the paper and the pen he was holding just a moment ago (they both ended up behind him) and continued packing like nothing happened.

“Sometimes you can be such an ...” she refrained from finishing the sentence and asked him again “What were you writing?”

“Did you skip your pills this morning, I’m packing, what are you yelling at me for?” it seamed he was still in a bad mood.

Andromeda got up took the paper he was writing on and put it few inches from Itachi’s face “This paper!”

Vladivostok

Belize

Singapore

Armenia

Kingston

Oslo

Thailand

Libya

Suriname

“Well apparently someone likes to travel, but that’s not my handwriting, besides I think I would have remembered writing this.”

“You have some ink on your index finger from holding the pen” Andromeda noticed with a grin, and then seriously asked "You are winding me up, aren't you?"

Suddenly the globe that was peacefully resting on the desk almost made a full spin and then plummeted, continuing to rock back and forth, causing our two adventurous ghost hunters to freeze in their posts.

“Maybe a short circuit...” Itachi was stretching, but Andromeda immediately put a cork in his mouth “There’s no cord coming out of the globe. Hey maybe we have woken up a hamster that was hibernating inside the globe for months and he made it move” Andromeda couldn’t withhold her sarcasm and burst into echoing laughter.

Itachi stood up and surprisingly asked “Do you think that it’s trying to tell us something?”

Andromeda was shocked by this sudden transformation “OK... I know that you said that you are willing to believe if presented with solid evidence, but this is weird.”

“Look...” Itachi sighed, “I’m not saying that there’s some abstract entity communicating with us, but...”

“Of course not” Andromeda rolled her eyes.

“But...” Itachi continued, “Who ever left this note and spin the globe needs our help, right? So let’s help by figuring out what this list means”

“Wow... we have to remember this moment, we both agreed on the same thing” Andromeda was teasing, but Itachi’s mind was already consumed by the list.

As he was spinning the globe and looking at the list an idea sparked in his brilliant mind.

“Could you hand me that pen please?” Itachi reached for the pen Andromeda was holding and started writing something on the paper.

Andromeda was looking over his shoulder “I would’ve never thought of that!” she exclaimed with excitement.

“It’s your turn” Itachi smiled ear to ear.

“OK...” she agreed, “But if there’s nothing in there, you’re the one cleaning up the mess”

What did the list say?

:)

Edited by andromeda

Not to state the obvious, but I notice that what has become the normal disclaimer is missing....does this mean that math/anagrams, etc is on the table?

Also, I'm assuming I'll be dusting off my google earth program?

Edited by Dawg

Not to state the obvious, but I notice that what has become the normal disclaimer is missing....does this mean that math/anagrams, etc is on the table?

Also, I'm assuming I'll be dusting off my google earth program?

Oh I totally forgot about that, thanks for the reminder! :D

No math, no anagrams, no rearranging letters, no adding nor subtracting letters.

I know you hate it when I say it, but this is easy! :lol:

Well my first thought is that they make a shape on the globe since they're all relatively close to each other in Asia, Europe and N. Africa so they can all be seen at once. There are countries and cities so that's not an issue. Could you clarify Kingston? There are many Kingstons.

Jamaica man! (said with Jamaican accent) :lol:

The Medditerianian sea?

Hm... I don't know what you mean by that but no. :)

Edited by andromeda

Is the original list of countries and cities somehow clues to the whereabouts of the ghost? And if so, does Itachi's new list then reveal in which room in the house the ghost is hiding? Seems to make sense for a treasure hunt, where the treasure in this case is the ghost.

:ph34r:

Is the original list of countries and cities somehow clues to the whereabouts of the ghost? And if so, does Itachi's new list then reveal in which room in the house the ghost is hiding? Seems to make sense for a treasure hunt, where the treasure in this case is the ghost.
:ph34r:

There's just one list (it will all be revealed in the conclusion that I had already written, but you have to solve the riddle first)... and it's not about the whereabouts of the ghost

;)

have anything to do with researching the cities/countries and the ghosts that are claimed to reside in them?

In other words: can I do this with pen, paper, and nothing more than what I already know?

The ghost is not important!

I don't know how much you know Izzy! ;)

The ghost is not important!

I don't know how much you know Izzy! ;)

..'Cos the ghost doesn't really exist? :P

Is there anything specific I need to know how to do that you wouldn't except me, or people my age in general (add a few year if you want) to know?

My geography sucks, so are locations and stuff relevant? I.. might be a little lazy. >_>

..'Cos the ghost doesn't really exist? :P

Is there anything specific I need to know how to do that you wouldn't except me, or people my age in general (add a few year if you want) to know?

My geography sucks, so are locations and stuff relevant? I.. might be a little lazy. >_>

Location is important! (Itachi was spinning the globe) :)

Vladivostok (Latitude: 43° 7' 60 N, Longitude: 131° 54' 0 E)

Belize (Latitude: 17° 28' 60 N, Longitude: 88 ° 2' 60 W)

Singapore (Latitude: 1° 22' 0 N, Longitude: 103° 47' 60 E )

Armenia (9° 13′ 15″ N, 46° 13′ 13″ E)

Kingston (Latitude: 18° 0' 0 N, Longitude: 76° 47' 60 W)

Oslo (59°56′58″N 10°45′23″E)

Thailand (Latitude: 13° 45' 0 N, Longitude: 100° 31' 0 E)

Libya (Latitude: 27° 36' 0 N, Longitude: 22° 34' 0 E)

Suriname (Latitude: 4° 57' 0 N, Longitude: 54° 49' 60 W)

The only noticeable pattern is that everything is in the Northern Hemisphere.

Vladivostok (Latitude: 43° 7' 60 N, Longitude: 131° 54' 0 E)

Belize (Latitude: 17° 28' 60 N, Longitude: 88 ° 2' 60 W)

Singapore (Latitude: 1° 22' 0 N, Longitude: 103° 47' 60 E )

Armenia (9° 13′ 15″ N, 46° 13′ 13″ E)

Kingston (Latitude: 18° 0' 0 N, Longitude: 76° 47' 60 W)

Oslo (59°56′58″N 10°45′23″E)

Thailand (Latitude: 13° 45' 0 N, Longitude: 100° 31' 0 E)

Libya (Latitude: 27° 36' 0 N, Longitude: 22° 34' 0 E)

Suriname (Latitude: 4° 57' 0 N, Longitude: 54° 49' 60 W)

The only noticeable pattern is that everything is in the Northern Hemisphere.

Look at "The Map"!

:lol:

what other maps are there?

You just need one specific map... Itachi could figure it out just by looking at the globe, but it's easier if you use the specific map!

;)

:)

have anything to do with time zones and the difference in days and nights and... like... tomorrow somehow?

FINALLY on the right track! :D

Edited by andromeda

Do these numbers help at all?

+10 Vladivostok (Latitude: 43° 7' 60 N, Longitude: 131° 54' 0 E)

-6 Belize (Latitude: 17° 28' 60 N, Longitude: 88 ° 2' 60 W)

+7 Singapore (Latitude: 1° 22' 0 N, Longitude: 103° 47' 60 E )

+2 Armenia (9° 13′ 15″ N, 46° 13′ 13″ E)

-5 Kingston (Latitude: 18° 0' 0 N, Longitude: 76° 47' 60 W)

+1 Oslo (59°56′58″N 10°45′23″E)

+7 Thailand (Latitude: 13° 45' 0 N, Longitude: 100° 31' 0 E)

+1 Libya (Latitude: 27° 36' 0 N, Longitude: 22° 34' 0 E)

-3:45 Suriname (Latitude: 4° 57' 0 N, Longitude: 54° 49' 60 W)

Some might be a little off.. the map I was using was crap..