BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

I created a riddle for m'lady to solve so she could figure out her Christmas gift before she received it. Thought I'd share it with the Den. (I gave her too many hints and she already figured it out) :(

"ye olde holyday, bears fruit for thee

yet not golden rings tis, nor bird in pear tree

a tub-thumping orator divulges where your gift's lain,

yet not a palin, obama, biden or mccain.

tis not at "maison blanche," nor political in deed,

Indubitably, thy gift you did already read."

She's a fan of Alice in Wonderland.

I created a riddle for m'lady to solve so she could figure out her Christmas gift before she received it. Thought I'd share it with the Den. (I gave her too many hints and she already figured it out) :(

The Cat in the Hat has an orator thumping a pink cat ring out of a tub with a dress... and she's bound to have already read it. Okay... I'm stumped and overreaching.

:)

my translation of the riddle...

"There is a Christmas gift for you,

It's not a gold ring or a partridge

A famous speaker tells you where it is

but it's not a politician

not at the white house, and is not political in any way

She's already read the gift."

I'm guessing the gift is either a copy of "Alice in Wonderland" (since it's something she's already read) or one of the character's in the story is the tub-thumping orator and knowing him will tell us where and what the gift is...

guessing you have a radio/stereo of some sort near the bathtub, and her gift was located "in" it somehow? or maybe that was the gift itself? Or another idea: Disney's Alice in Wonderland on Ice, since it's been announced on the radio?

Edited by Skitten

my translation of the riddle...

"There is a Christmas gift for you,

It's not a gold ring or a partridge

A famous speaker tells you where it is

but it's not a politician

not at the white house, and is not political in any way

She's already read the gift."

I'm guessing the gift is either a copy of "Alice in Wonderland" (since it's something she's already read) or one of the character's in the story is the tub-thumping orator and knowing him will tell us where and what the gift is...

nope, a direct translation of the riddle will only take you farther from the answer.

the last line indicated that by "already being read", the answer is in the riddle.

guessing you have a radio/stereo of some sort near the bathtub, and her gift was located "in" it somehow? or maybe that was the gift itself? Or another idea: Disney's Alice in Wonderland on Ice, since it's been announced on the radio?

no radio/stereo involved. alice in wonderland on ice would probably have been a better gift though, lol :)

So, i'm guessing that "a tub-thumping orator divulges where your gift's lain," is the key line here. However, I'm thinking it refers to an Alice in Wonderland character and I'm not familiar with the story.

So, i'm guessing that "a tub-thumping orator divulges where your gift's lain," is the key line here. However, I'm thinking it refers to an Alice in Wonderland character and I'm not familiar with the story.

Knowledge of the story of Alice in Wonderland is not important to solving the riddle.

you're on the money with the line you should be focusing on ;D

Wait, is tub-thump onomatopoeia? Like the sound something makes?! Because if it is I am totally thinking, "Rabbits"!

Bunny....candies...

The Mad Hatter looked like a mayor (orator) in the Disney version of Alice in Wonderland. Did you put her gift in a teapot? Is it a mouse? Or tea? But he didn't tub-thump... The March Hare? He was a rabbit. He tub-thumps. (onomatopoeia) Is it a jelly-filled watch?...

Am I over-thinking this?!

Is this a riddle of WHAT the gift is, or WHERE the gift is?

Is it in the garden? Or in/around rose bushes? Is it a rose bush?

You mentioned on the previous page that translating your riddle is counter productive. So that means you chose your words carefully. Tub-Thump sounds like a heart beat. So in Alice in wonderland, something to do with the Hearts. Tub-thumping orator, Queen of Hearts? She played croquet in the garden. And had large amounts of rose bushes (of the wrong color).