BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Pretend there is a starfish that can regenerate anything cut off/taken away from its body, no matter what (it could always regenerate anything taken away). If you take away its ability to regenerate anything, would it regenerate its ability to regenerate?

I'm sure some of you will find some flaws in this.....I made this up. :P

Edited by Jrod_Writer13

4 answers to this question

If it already had its ability to regenerate taken away, then of course the answer is "no". There's no paradox here.

Under the conditions it said no matter what it could regenerate anything taken away.....so it could regenerate that. Yet, it lost that ability.... :huh: ...it is a paradox actually. :)

Under the conditions it said no matter what it could regenerate anything taken away.....so it could regenerate that. Yet, it lost that ability.... :huh: ...it is a paradox actually. :)

What you did was state something that just isn't true; that's not how most of us would define a paradox.

Under the conditions...

Your conditions don't match up, again, that's not paradoxical. You said that a starfish could do something no matter what and then asked what would happen if someone took the ability away. At least one of your statements can't be taken at face value. This is like me starting a thread here claiming this is a paradox:

There is a man that has always walked at all times and will always walk at all times, yet you forced him to sit still in a chair. Was he still always walking?

One of my statements above isn't true, so I either am just lying to you or I'm mistaken. He either isn't walking all the time or I never forced him to sit in a chair.

If his ability to regenerate is taken away, he couldn't regenerate that ability since he doesn't have the ability to regenerate. In other words, no. :unsure:

Edited by Mystery