the parameters of the riddle fail to negate non defined true statements

but if u say that u are just guarenteed a coin not the gold one

the question says u must get the gold coin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am logged in at BrainDen.com as 'persival' and I want the gold coin. This statement is true. So, let's have the gold.

Making a true statements guarantees that you will get one coin, but not necessarily the gold one. Requesting that it be gold (which you did in a separate sentence by the way) doesn't help.

Coins - Back to the Logic Problems

Imagine there are 3 coins on the table. Gold, silver and copper. If you say a truthful sentence, you will get one coin. If you say a false sentence, you get nothing. Which sentence can guarantee gaining the gold coin?

Coins - solution

"You will give me neither copper nor silver coin." If it is true, then I have to get the gold coin. If it is a lie, then the negation must be true, so "you give me either copper or silver coin", which would break the given conditions that you get no coin when lying. So the first sentence must be true.

or you could say "there are 3 coins on the table B))

what about

"I exist" ?

the parameters of the riddle fail to negate non defined true statements

but this statement will not guarantee you will get the gold coin

I would have to say"I will be given all 3 coins."

but he could say the hell you are and then you get nothing.

I will be given the gold coin or I will recieve nothing would work out ok

How can it be a truthful statement if it has not occured?

but he could say the hell you are and then you get nothing.

He could do a lot of things, there are not enough parameters on the puzzle. Therefore logic is flawed as no logic exists.

Edited by Talent

How about; Give me (using the imperitive) the coin of gold or I will put my musket twixt your eyes. This negates the negative reasoning and assures the gold coin. I have it on some authority this reasoning was quite successful during the 17th and 18th centuries, following later into the 19th. 20th, and some reports as to its use even today.

Imagine there are 3 coins on the table. Gold, silver and copper. If you say a truthful sentence, you will get one coin. If you say a false sentence, you get nothing. Which sentence can guarantee gaining the gold coin?

Coins - solution

"You will give me neither copper nor silver coin." If it is true, then I have to get the gold coin. If it is a lie, then the negation must be true, so "you give me either copper or silver coin", which would break the given conditions that you get no coin when lying. So the first sentence must be true.

Once again, statements predicting future behavior of others are neither truth nor lie. This solution fails.

say to the person "you will give me the coin if the sentence is true"

:D

Once again this statement wont guarentee the gold coin. By the way, what coin do you mean by "the coin"?

:P

hi buddy this was really very interesting and funny, first you show me the coins after that i will say wat to do.....

and i need some more information about "DOUBLE EAGLE" Gold coins if anyone knows answer for this please reply for my post

========================================

Bryan Adams

========================================

Everyone knows the value of the US Dollar is going down - the only thing that keeps its value is metals - In the early 1900's and ounce of Gold bought a real nice suit - Gold then was around $20 an ounce. Today that same Ounce of Gold Will buy a real nice suit but that $20 would maybe get you a nice tie.

To fight off inflation everyone should be purchasing Gold and Silver in some form - Gold Coins - Silver Coins or bullion / bars

i would say "You're not going to give me all the coins." I'm not sure if that would work.

yeah or just say "1+1=2"

you could do that, but it just says you get A coin. It doesn't guarantee the Gold coin. think about it.

Coins - solution

"An answer will get me a coin"

Frozen: You have to assume that everything that the problem states is true actually is true.

From that, assume you do in fact say "you will give me neither the silver nor the copper coin." If you are not given any coins, then what you said is true; getting nothing means you didn't get silver and you didn't get copper. But the problem says that if you say a true statement, you will be given one of the coins. So it can't be the case that you weren't given any coins, because it produces a contradiction.

ans: they are three coins on the table. it can be any sentence, once its the truth, do i get a coin?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How about... -_- "If this statement is true, you will give me a gold coin, If false, I will get no coins"

This will mean that if the statement is false and I get no coins, then the statement is actually true, since they are giving me no coins, and so I must get the gold coin.

If I get a copper or silver, then this means that statement is false, creating a paradox as they then should not be giving me a coin, which then, as said above, will then make it true, so the only way to fufil the whole statement, which HAS TO BE TRUE, is to give me the gold coin! :D

• 1 month later...

Here is a question to all Braindenizens.

What if I just say, " You will either give me all 3 coins or will give me none"?

Edited by Drydung