BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

A well-respected United States Senator was shot dead despite the presence of the Secret Service. Not only that, but there was absolutely no clue to be found about the killer! So they wrangled up the 5 usual suspects, one of which was surely the perpetrator. Their names are: Brian Furgussen, Ernie Rapaport, Rick Carlille, Paul Nottingham and Nestor Rodriguez. But all the inspectors were clueless ...until the Senator's daughter received a cryptic letter in the mail.

It read:

My Beloved Daughter,

If you have received this then I surely am dead. All I can ask is that you carry on with your life ...but first, I'd like you to get some vengeance for your dearest Daddy. There's some clearance you'll need to gain first.

(18.2, 21.2, 14.1, 34.3, 31.1, 44.2, 18.1, 33.2, 34.3) ~I'm sure you'll know where to find it.

Once you've found it, you'll need this:

(23-21, 21-20, 17-16, 36-35) ~entering this code will change the fingerprint recognition on my master library door to match yours.

Just add those 4 numbers up when you enter my library. There are 29 bookcases. Go to the corresponding bookcase. There you will find one of my favorite books (Just be sure to use the first step when deciphering this next one. It differs somewhat):

(5.2, 32.2, 22.1, 45.2, 14.3, 7.3, 37.1, 41.1, 36.3) ~we both loved this one, just not the middle of the title (we'd always just gloss over it)

Once you pull the book down, note when it was published. Add to that date, the sum of the code you used in the second step (+2 for good luck :P ). Then just decipher:

JGI XCLFDCT EQFDV GDR JGI RDFI LVLJLDHR DR JGI NLHHIC ~and you'll surely know who to arrest!

~sorry I couldn't be clearer honey, but I know how much you love your puzzles

Thanks Sweetheart,

Your Loving Dad

The Agents read the letter over and over and questioned the girl many times about the clues and what she could possibly know.

"Where would your father have hidden something? Think of hiding spots that would have passwords or locks"

"Well they could be anywhere! I don't know for sure, and I'm not really sure why he thought I would... don't you guys do your jobs? They could be on a hard drive, in his cell phone, at his safe house... he also has a giant safe and a hidden box that's behind a painting of love birds... hmm, maybe at the bank vault? I just don't know..."

"Well, what about the second part?"

"It's kind of tough when I don't know the first! ...sigh... at least I can decipher the cryptogram, but it's basically useless without the rest... Why couldn't he just have wrote the guy's name?"

So ...whodunit? :huh:

Edit: I changed a word in the dialogue that has nothing to do with the puzzle. It was something I was originally going to do and then dropped it as I wrote the post. It doesn't impact anything: it was "hidden the documents" and now it's "hidden something"

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ooh, lovely intro, Itachi! :)

hard drive

cell phone

safe house

gian tsafe

hidd enbox

love birds

bank vault

I've been reading up and down, criss-cross...and I don't see anything <_< The only thing I got is that love birds are the only two words that has letters that don't repeat. Does that have anything to do with it?

And...do we solve the above first, then the letter?

Edited by star_tiger

Hmm. I don't understand. What was the first part? What was the second part (the cryptogram)? And what was the "primary woman" Luke Warmwater was talking about?

I'll put numbers next to the steps if that helps:

A well-respected United States Senator was shot dead despite the presence of the Secret Service. Not only that, but there was absolutely no clue to be found about the killer! So they wrangled up the 5 usual suspects, one of which was surely the perpetrator. Their names are: Brian Furgussen, Ernie Rapaport, Rick Carlille, Paul Nottingham and Nestor Rodriguez. But all the inspectors were clueless ...until the Senator's daughter received a cryptic letter in the mail.

It read:

My Beloved Daughter,

If you have received this then I surely am dead. All I can ask is that you carry on with your life ...but first, I'd like you to get some vengeance for your dearest Daddy. There's some clearance you'll need to gain first.

1) (18.2, 21.2, 14.1, 34.3, 31.1, 44.2, 18.1, 33.2, 34.3) ~I'm sure you'll know where to find it.

Once you've found it, you'll need this:

2) (23-21, 21-20, 17-16, 36-35) ~entering this code will change the fingerprint recognition on my master library door to match yours.

3) Just add those 4 numbers up when you enter my library. There are 33 bookcases. Go to the corresponding bookcase. There you will find one of my favorite books (Just be sure to use the first step when deciphering this next one. It differs somewhat):

4) (5.2, 32.2, 22.1, 45.2, 14.3, 7.3, 37.1, 41.1, 36.3) ~we both loved this one, just not the middle of the title (we'd always just gloss over it)

5) Once you pull the book down, note when it was published. Add to that date, the sum of the code you used in the second step. Then just decipher:

6) JGI XCLFDCT EQFDV GDR JGI RDFI LVLJLDHR DR JGI NLHHIC ~and you'll surely know who to arrest!

~sorry I couldn't be clearer honey, but I know how much you love your puzzles

Thanks Sweetheart,

Your Loving Dad

The Agents read the letter over and over and questioned the girl many times about the clues and what she could possibly know.

"Where would your father have hidden something? Think of hiding spots that would have passwords or locks"

"Well they could be anywhere! I don't know for sure, and I'm not really sure why he thought I would... don't you guys do your jobs? They could be on a hard drive, in his cell phone, at his safe house... he also has a giant safe and a hidden box that's behind a painting of love birds... hmm, maybe at the bank vault? I just don't know..."

"Well, what about the second part?"

"It's kind of tough when I don't know the first! ...sigh... at least I can decipher the cryptogram, but it's basically useless without the rest... Why couldn't he just have wrote the guy's name?"

So ...whodunit? :huh:

Edit: I changed a word in the dialogue that has nothing to do with the puzzle. It was something I was originally going to do and then dropped it as I wrote the post. It doesn't impact anything: it was "hidden the documents" and now it's "hidden something"

As you can see, Part 6 (the easy part) has been solved. But it's not going to make any sense (or at least not get you the correct answer) until the previous 5 steps are solved B))

Some thoughts

capitol punishment? As in white house capitol? Not CapitAl? Secret Service don't usually protect senators - they protect the president and the first lady (primary woman). So is it the president who killed him? Still can't decipher the code but that is my guess on who.

Some thoughts

capitol punishment? As in white house capitol? Not CapitAl? Secret Service don't usually protect senators - they protect the president and the first lady (primary woman). So is it the president who killed him? Still can't decipher the code but that is my guess on who.

Well, you've certainly picked up on most of the clues ;)

Some thoughts

[...] Secret Service don't usually protect senators [...]

Not at all unusual, actually. The Secret Service also protects the President and Vice-President Elect (e.g. Sens. Obama and Biden) "major" Presidential candidates (e.g. Sen. McCain) former Presidents and their immediate families (e.g. Sen. Clinton), and just about anybody in the line of succession (e.g. Sen. Byrd), just to name current and very recent examples. That doesn't mean your theory is wrong, mind you...

Anyway, in the code, the second number is always 1, 2, or 3. So I'd guess we're looking for something that there are three of with letters: rows on a keyboard... um... letters on phone digits. Nope, and nope. Hmmm. something else...

Also, the first number is always <= 50, so maybe they represent states. However, there is only one state that begins with "F" (Florida), and nothing obvious it ranks 14th in (14.1 = F). Size? Population? GDP? Alphabetically? Nope, nope, nope, and nope. O_o

Well, we can probably assume there's only one ______ beginning with the letter "E" since the same number is used twice. Whereas, there is more than one _________ beginning with the letter "S" as there is two different numbers representing the same letter.

Well if it is states, it doesn't refer to the first letter since there are no states beginning with "E". Although, there is only one state beginning with "F" - Florida, "U" - Utah and "H" - Hawaii. These three letters all have "1" as the second number.

Well, we can probably assume there's only one ______ beginning with the letter "E" since the same number is used twice. Whereas, there is more than one _________ beginning with the letter "S" as there is two different numbers representing the same letter.

Well if it is states, it doesn't refer to the first letter since there are no states beginning with "E". Although, there is only one state beginning with "F" - Florida, "U" - Utah and "H" - Hawaii. These three letters all have "1" as the second number.

I'll go ahead and say that nothing in this puzzle is 'State name' related. ;)

here is a total guess...
is it rick carlille?
:huh:
I'm not going down this road... just guess 5 times and one of them has to be right :rolleyes: I'm gonna need some reasoning before I hand out any kudos B))

I got it

the first part of the number relates to the Nth president's name. The second part of the number is either his first, second, or last initial.

For example the 18th president is Ulysses S. Grant so 18.1 is "U" and 18.2 is "S"

I got it
the first part of the number relates to the Nth president's name. The second part of the number is either his first, second, or last initial.

For example the 18th president is Ulysses S. Grant so 18.1 is "U" and 18.2 is "S"

But now I am stuck after looking at the 5th bookcase.

A well-respected United States Senator

Does it matter that he was well-respected? Could he have been a sleazy senator?

(23-21, 21-20, 17-16, 36-35) ~entering this code will change the fingerprint recognition on my master library door to match yours.

the 21st(Garfield), 17th (Lincoln), and 36th (JFK)presidents all were assassinated while in office and were succeded by the VP.

The VP for the 23rd President (Thomas Hendricks) also died while in office.

Does this mean anything?

Just add those 4 numbers up when you enter my library. There are 33 bookcases. Go to the corresponding bookcase.

Does the 33 mean anything? could it have been 10 bookcases and still be solved the same way?

(5.2, 32.2, 22.1, 45.2, 14.3, 7.3, 37.1, 41.1, 36.3) ~we both loved this one, just not the middle of the title (we'd always just gloss over it)

No 45th president so it can't be solved the same way as in step 1. Doesn't work for VPs, or first ladies unless I am missing something.

Does it matter that he was well-respected? Could he have been a sleazy senator?

the 21st(Garfield), 17th (Lincoln), and 36th (JFK)presidents all were assassinated while in office and were succeded by the VP.

The VP for the 23rd President (Thomas Hendricks) also died while in office.

Does this mean anything?

Does the 33 mean anything? could it have been 10 bookcases and still be solved the same way?

No 45th president so it can't be solved the same way as in step 1. Doesn't work for VPs, or first ladies unless I am missing something.

Thats EXACTLY what I got. EXACTLY :o

And that 33 books for sure means something...