BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Prof. Templeton

Question

Professor Templeton sat at his desk engrossed in a computer printout when Yoruichi-san entered his office, her purple hair fanning out as she pivoted to close the door.

“How’s the new program working, PT?” she asked.

“Not so well, I’m afraid”, he replied. “It was supposed to scan all the open riddles on Brainden and determine the solutions based on past algorithms, but something has gone wrong.”

“Let me have a crack at it. I’ve always been better at deduction then you”, she quipped than winked and stuck her tongue out.

Prof. Templeton handed the printout to her with a sigh, “The tests were going fine until the software came across some threads about automating Mafia and something from Prime called VNA2.e. It appears to have tried to incorporate some of those posts into its own command lines and now I can’t even log back on to see what went wrong.”

Y-san studied the printout for a few minutes then bounded over to the Professor’s bookshelf and began pulling books off of it. Prof. Templeton knew not to try to interrupt her when she was concentrating, so he ambled out into the hall to get some coffee. When he returned with two steaming cups, Y-san was busily taking notes and jotting down what looked like scribbles to the professor.

“Any luck?” he asked.

“I won’t be able to tell you for sure until we can get back inside the software, but I believe your new program has took what information it was able to scan and has made a riddle of its own.”

“Um, O.K. What about logging back in? Did you find the reset username and password?”

“I did”, she replied and stuck her tongue out again.”I had a little trouble with the password until I realized that the program was just being courteous at the end.”

Prof. Templeton took off his spectacles and rubbed the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger. “Why must you answer riddles with more riddles?” he asked.

She handed him back the printout and proceeded to log on.

The Printout

143-109 Castle fortified with minerals.

103-95 Make amends for being tidy.

118-134 Relationship between two quantities of a very small amount.

144-183 A period of time devoted to a particular activity that produces unpleasant sounds.

154-109 One that wipes clean the upbringing of a child.

Points are not Linear but Linear is negative.

QRWU!ETY@PIS#AF$DF%GJC^HKBL&QRZ*UX(OVP)S_DGNJ+MWE[bQT]RYU{IOPS}ADFH\GJKC,LZX.QRV/UNO

M<PSDG>JC?BQR;UO’PSG:W!JCBQ@R#EUT$O%YPIA^F&HKL*Z(DGJC(B)XQR_VNM+WET

e nitysa fiverh nato upo eth oura edero oma ncessano lmann diala, e duito omeo fen siwasb, eth e sita gupthrb.

What is the Username and password for the Prof.'s new software.

• Answers 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This is brilliant, Prof. T! :D

(Also hilarious...Love the ;P)

Are they all four letter words? So far I have, off the top of my head (thanks to CL for decrypting):

a single (only?) wizard (mage?) sent out and tore apart the smallest chess piece (pawn), a point (node) that was lively, and a line boundry (edge).

This is brilliant, Prof. T! :D

(Also hilarious...Love the ;P)

Are they all four letter words? So far I have, off the top of my head (thanks to CL for decrypting):

a single (only?) wizard (mage?) sent out and tore apart the smallest chess piece (pawn), a point (node) that was lively, and a line boundry (edge).

Only one is right (the obvious one)

single - think mathish

wizard - your very close, think more scholarly

point - actually two words put together

"sent out and tore apart"...rent?

Got it.

Edited by Prof. Templeton

143-109 Castle fortified with minerals. MOATS - OATS = M

103-95 Make amends for being tidy. ATONE - NEAT = O

118-134 Relationship between two quantities of a very small amount. RATIO - IOTA = R

144-183 A period of time devoted to a particular activity that produces unpleasant sounds. SESSIONS - NOISES = S

154-109 One that wipes clean the upbringing of a child. ERASER - REARS = E

Points are not Linear but Linear is negative.

QRWU!ETY@PIS#AF$DF%GJC^HKBL&QRZ*UX(OVP)S_DGNJ+MWE[bQT]RYU{IOPS}ADFH\GJKC,LZX.QRV/UNO

Form a square four by four

M<PSDG>JC?BQR;UO’PSG:W!JCBQ@R#EUT$O%YPIA^F&HKL*Z(DGJC(B)XQR_VNM+WET[uYO

This is the key to the door

This door needs two keys actually ;)

e nitysa fiverh nato upo eth oura edero oma ncessano lmann diala, e duito omeo fen siwasb, eth e sita gupthrb.

a single wizard sent out and tore apart the smallest chess piece, a point that was lively, and a line boundry

Correct words so far

RENT

PAWN

Only one is right (the obvious one)

single - think mathish

wizard - your very close, think more scholarly

point - actually two words put together

Got it.

My mind is blanking on a four-letter math word for "single"...one, unitary, unity...oh...is it unit?

wizard-sage?

point-two words that combined have four letters or two four letter words...or two words that combined have eight letters?

best word seems to be keen...other four letter words are pert and spry...

Okay...so that gives me 7 four letter words...seems I need 8 to make 2 four by four letter squares...what part of the sentence am I missing?

a single wizard sent out and tore apart the smallest chess piece, a point that was lively, and a line boundry

Is that a typo? Should it be went out?

That would make the last word left, perhaps?

Edited by Grayven

best word seems to be keen...other four letter words are pert and spry...

Okay...so that gives me 7 four letter words...seems I need 8 to make 2 four by four letter squares...what part of the sentence am I missing?

Yeah, it's one of those.

Is that a typo? Should it be went out?

That would make the last word left, perhaps?

It's "sent out" or send out would work too. If you stack up the words in the order they appear in the sentence, I think some things should jump out at you.

Just a fun FYI: this week on the show Prison Break, they used Y-San's Periodic Table code! It was sweet knowing the answer before they revealed it, thx ;)

Hmmmmm...I wonder if one of my Stackers knew or met someone working on the show...well...my college was really close to LA...and they would film parts of Numb3rs there...

That's almost the list. :) One is slightly off as dedhed points out below

EMIT

Not RENT but close

;)

Still one more small step to get the UserName and Password.

So your earlier response was misleading?

"sent out and tore apart"...rent?

Got it.

REND

so the anangrams start ?

Whats left from UN/PW

editting /deanpity

or

dietting/ apedtiny

still looking

Yes, the anagrams can start. If it helps the user name and passwords can be done seperately (as you've done), but they are related to each other. Also remember what Y-san said about the password in the OP. ;)