BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Prof. Templeton

Question

Professor Templeton sat at his desk engrossed in a computer printout when Yoruichi-san entered his office, her purple hair fanning out as she pivoted to close the door.

“How’s the new program working, PT?” she asked.

“Not so well, I’m afraid”, he replied. “It was supposed to scan all the open riddles on Brainden and determine the solutions based on past algorithms, but something has gone wrong.”

“Let me have a crack at it. I’ve always been better at deduction then you”, she quipped than winked and stuck her tongue out.

Prof. Templeton handed the printout to her with a sigh, “The tests were going fine until the software came across some threads about automating Mafia and something from Prime called VNA2.e. It appears to have tried to incorporate some of those posts into its own command lines and now I can’t even log back on to see what went wrong.”

Y-san studied the printout for a few minutes then bounded over to the Professor’s bookshelf and began pulling books off of it. Prof. Templeton knew not to try to interrupt her when she was concentrating, so he ambled out into the hall to get some coffee. When he returned with two steaming cups, Y-san was busily taking notes and jotting down what looked like scribbles to the professor.

“Any luck?” he asked.

“I won’t be able to tell you for sure until we can get back inside the software, but I believe your new program has took what information it was able to scan and has made a riddle of its own.”

“Um, O.K. What about logging back in? Did you find the reset username and password?”

“I did”, she replied and stuck her tongue out again.”I had a little trouble with the password until I realized that the program was just being courteous at the end.”

Prof. Templeton took off his spectacles and rubbed the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger. “Why must you answer riddles with more riddles?” he asked.

She handed him back the printout and proceeded to log on.

The Printout

143-109 Castle fortified with minerals.

103-95 Make amends for being tidy.

118-134 Relationship between two quantities of a very small amount.

144-183 A period of time devoted to a particular activity that produces unpleasant sounds.

154-109 One that wipes clean the upbringing of a child.

Points are not Linear but Linear is negative.

QRWU!ETY@PIS#AF$DF%GJC^HKBL&QRZ*UX(OVP)S_DGNJ+MWE[bQT]RYU{IOPS}ADFH\GJKC,LZX.QRV/UNO

M<PSDG>JC?BQR;UO’PSG:W!JCBQ@R#EUT$O%YPIA^F&HKL*Z(DGJC(B)XQR_VNM+WET

e nitysa fiverh nato upo eth oura edero oma ncessano lmann diala, e duito omeo fen siwasb, eth e sita gupthrb.

What is the Username and password for the Prof.'s new software.

• Answers 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

118-134 Relationship between two quantities of a very small amount. 16.

Since the program was scanning Brainden it must have derived its riddle from past threads. Why was Y-san able to decipher it?

The numbers relate to words and the sentence is a hint to the words.

My violin practise.

:lol:

Edited by Prof. Templeton

translate to something like:

a single wizard sent out and tore apart the smallest chess piece, a point that was likely, and a line foundry.

But I have no idea what that means. And if this is the "just being courteous" part, it might not matter.

translate to something like:

a single wizard sent out and tore apart the smallest chess piece, a point that was likely, and a line foundry.

But I have no idea what that means. And if this is the "just being courteous" part, it might not matter.

Your skipping ahead too. <_<

Spoiler for But,:

The first part will tell you what to do with the second, and the second part will tell you what to do with the third.

143-109 Castle fortified with minerals.

103-95 Make amends for being tidy.

118-134 Relationship between two quantities of a very small amount.

144-183 A period of time devoted to a particular activity that produces unpleasant sounds.

154-109 One that wipes clean the upbringing of a child.

Well, here's a start:

Make amends: Atone

Tidy: Neat

And, are you sure the first one isn't 143-99?

Keep in mind that for No.4, there are several numbers that may work for both parts. FYI ;)
:-\

143-109 Castle fortified with minerals. ???

103-95 AtONe - NeAt = O

118-134 RaTiO - IOTa = R

144-183 SEsSiON-NOISEs = S

169-109 ErAsEr - ReArS = E

So.... I'm thinking Morse. Or horse. Or Norse... But probably Morse.

:-\

143-109 Castle fortified with minerals. ???

103-95 AtONe - NeAt = O

118-134 RaTiO - IOTa = R

144-183 SEsSiON-NOISEs = S

169-109 ErAsEr - ReArS = E

So.... I'm thinking Morse. Or horse. Or Norse... But probably Morse.

All correct.

name a castle fortification and something that is typically fortified with minerals?

All correct.

name a castle fortification and something that is typically fortified with minerals?

Yes, but they don't add up...

EDIT:

They do if you add a little sulfur. MoAtS - OAtS = M

Edited by d3k3