BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Yoruichi-san

Question

As Andromeda was exiting out of the building her last class was in at Redrum University, she pulled her cell phone out of her pocket and saw that she had received a new voicemail message. She pressed the button to connect to voicemail and listened to the message:

"Hey...it's me...uh...I've kinda been kidnapped by some agents from IETNAT...not a big deal though..." came Y-san's voice in a nonchalant tone. "Anyways, I thought it would be fun to leave you some clues to find my kidnapper...they'll on my desk..." The sound of a yawn came through the receiver. "Oh, right, you should probably give Police Chief Leroy a call while you're at it..." Then there was a shout in the background, followed by some running footsteps, then the sounds of a scuffle, a loud thud...and then the message ended.

After calling Police Chief Leroy, on her way to Y-san's dorm room, Andromeda ran into the visiting Prof. Templeton who was being led on a guided tour by Cherry Lane. Seeing the look of distress on Andromeda's face, they called out to her and she paused briefly to explain the situation. Then the three rushed on together.

The door of Y-san's room hung open. The floor was strewn with various papers and books...signs of a struggle? No...just Y-san's laziness...

On Y-san's desk, they found a cardboard box, on which was printed "10x Cocoa Puffs, 17.5 oz". Inside the box, on one side, there was:

A poster,

post-7969-1229241080.jpg

A graph that looked like it had been part of a homework assignment that had been drawn on with a marker,

post-7969-1229241091.jpg

And some Wei Chi tiles arranged as such:

post-7969-1229241097.jpg

At the other side inside the box was a regular six-sided die.

Next to the box was a sheet of paper with the following printed on it:

^&

Prof. Templeton studied the box for a moment, stroking his chin. Then he shook his head and muttered "Looks like Y-san is up to her usual routine." Then his eyes shifted to the paper and he added in a resigned tone, "Someday she's going to get herself shot by an Extremely Mad Physicist."

Cherry Lane sighed. "Yeah...and in the end she's as enigmatic as always."

Just then an out of breath Police Chief Leroy stumbled into the room. As he leaned over, panting, he withdrew a notebook from his pocket and flipped it open to a page. "Okay..." he finally managed to say, "So Y-san was helping me investigate some shady characters. We suspected that one of them is a IETNAT agent. I have their names and addresses, so if we can figure out which one is the culprit, we can find her. The suspects are:

Ichimaru Kyu

Uno Diez

Quatre Treize

YiSan Wu

Otto Ventisei

Zwolf Sieben

But which is one is it? I don't have the manpower to cover all of them..."

He was interrupted by Andromeda, who hopped up and down in excitement. "Ooh! I know, I know!" She pointed her finger eagerly at one of the names in the notebook.

Later on that day, a group of police officers broke down the door to the culprit's house and combed through the rooms to find...Y-san sitting on a couch, reading a magazine. Around her lay strewn the unconscious bodies of IETNAT goons. Looking up at her rescuers, Y-san smiled and declared "Well, about time! I was getting hungry..."

• Answers 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

60(10x*17) = 600x*1020

(I can't do math anymore this is as far as I go on this one)

or

60(10 x 17) = 10200/^& = ?

or

60(10x*17) = ^& (which is 67 or 1314 or 27)

Is this even close???

Remember...grouping (not all of it is math...don't forget Prof. Templeton's statement)...and for the line about the Cocoa Puffs...like the pictures, only the beginning matters ;P

Remember...grouping (not all of it is math...don't forget Prof. Templeton's statement)...and for the line about the Cocoa Puffs...like the pictures, only the beginning matters ;P

Hmmm...

So you have:

60 10x CP 17.5 and possibly 67

And since Prof. T mentions physics I'm going to guess that CP stands for CP-symmetry??

So do we have to get the mirror image of each number?

06 x01 5.71 76

Or is it simply that CP=315 or 18 or is it C*P=45

Edited by theflash141

Hmmm...

So you have:

60 10x CP 17.5 and possibly 67

And since Prof. T mentions physics I'm going to guess that CP stands for CP-symmetry??

So do we have to get the mirror image of each number?

06 x01 5.71 76

Or is it simply that CP=315 or 18 or is it C*P=45

No...I meant the beginning of the entire line...and x in this case is not a variable...it's an operator ;P

Something I noticed, we've gotten 60 from inside the box. Add it to 67 from the "^&" clue and we end up with 127. Back on the first page, someone mentions that Zwolf Sieben is 12 7 in some language (my guess is Norway).

It's the first time I've gotten to an answer but I'm doubtful. I can't see how the Cocoa Puffs comment ties into it, nor the professor's comment.

Well...

600nm is also the length of the equator...

does it have to do with distance to the country of origin? if so can we have the tarting location?

No...like I said...the interpretation of nm as "nautical mile" is incorrect...look at the hints (google or wikipedia might help ;P)

nm... Nautical Mile, NanoMole, Newton Meter... Phy6 leads me to Mr Newton... and 600Nm is about 143 calories (seeing as foodstuff usually refer to calories) and 143 is an anagram for 4 13 which refers to Quatre Treize!

nm... Nautical Mile, NanoMole, Newton Meter... Phy6 leads me to Mr Newton... and 600Nm is about 143 calories (seeing as foodstuff usually refer to calories) and 143 is an anagram for 4 13 which refers to Quatre Treize!

No...sorry...you're getting Plancked here on the waves...

the Physicist is Extremely Mad...remember? (and there are no anagrams)

Edit: Also, this puzzle is kind of taking a lot things I did in earlier puzzles and amalgamating them with a few new things...;P

Edited by Yoruichi-san

No...sorry...you're getting Plancked here on the waves...

the Physicist is Extremely Mad...remember? (and there are no anagrams)

Edit: Also, this puzzle is kind of taking a lot things I did in earlier puzzles and amalgamating them with a few new things...;P

Everyone seems to have missed your hints with the word 'Planck'.

EMP is referring to Ernst Max Planck, German physicist and good friend of Einstein.

So I'm going to guess that NM stands for NanoMetres.

Everyone seems to have missed your hints with the word 'Planck'.

EMP is referring to Ernst Max Planck, German physicist and good friend of Einstein.

So I'm going to guess that NM stands for NanoMetres.

Thanks! You're right...nm does indeed stand for that...;P

*stomach growls really loudly*

that Y-san "was up to her old tricks" I thought the numbers could represent Elements, and I made a list of the coresponding ones, but set it aside. Now that we know the answer involes nanometers I'm thinking about Elements again. 60 Nanometers is way too large for atomic size, but if you had say 10x17.5 atoms lined up now we're talking the right scale. What atoms and is oxygen O or O2? Hmmm, where's that list of Elements I made?

well 600 nanometers is approx 1.09x10^-10 leagues... so it could be Ichimaru Kyu

No...no religion changes in this one...but it does become enigmatic as Cherry Lane commented ;P

that Y-san "was up to her old tricks" I thought the numbers could represent Elements, and I made a list of the coresponding ones, but set it aside. Now that we know the answer involes nanometers I'm thinking about Elements again. 60 Nanometers is way too large for atomic size, but if you had say 10x17.5 atoms lined up now we're talking the right scale. What atoms and is oxygen O or O2? Hmmm, where's that list of Elements I made?

With the 'box' equivalent to parenthesis:

10x(LCM 1,2,3,4,5,6) nm -> ? -> ? -> solution

The black arrow is the current step...and no takers on my hint about the second L being able to name it B)) ? The blue step has already been done partially (good job to those who noticed the names). The purple step is enigmatic ;P. Oh...and 'my old tricks' was referring to math that doesn't look like it (the LCM part ;P)...

No...no religion changes in this one...but it does become enigmatic as Cherry Lane commented ;P

The black arrow is the current step...and no takers on my hint about the second L being able to name it B)) ? The blue step has already been done partially (good job to those who noticed the names). The purple step is enigmatic ;P. Oh...and 'my old tricks' was referring to math that doesn't look like it (the LCM part ;P)...

so if I understand the steps correctly

600nm should give us a word, which we can enigma into a number. Then we translate that number (already done) into a name.

The second L was Joe's Student, but I don't know what he has to do with 600nm.

Edited by Cherry Lane

2.0664 eV or 206 kJ/mol

I don't know if thats what you were looking for or I'm I making it to complicated?

600nm should give us a word, which we can enigma into a number. Then we translate that number (already done) into a name.

Actually, I was the second L once, if that helps any. :D

600nm = look at my brain den answers

Yep, those are the steps...lol...and thanks for officially making 'enigma' a verb :D. But sorry, not Death Note Mafia...just regular Death Note...although...the second L liked post in red...both times ;P

2.0664 eV or 206 kJ/mol

I don't know if thats what you were looking for or I'm I making it to complicated?

Yeah, good thinking, but no religion changes in this one...