BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Yoruichi-san

Question

As Andromeda was exiting out of the building her last class was in at Redrum University, she pulled her cell phone out of her pocket and saw that she had received a new voicemail message. She pressed the button to connect to voicemail and listened to the message:

"Hey...it's me...uh...I've kinda been kidnapped by some agents from IETNAT...not a big deal though..." came Y-san's voice in a nonchalant tone. "Anyways, I thought it would be fun to leave you some clues to find my kidnapper...they'll on my desk..." The sound of a yawn came through the receiver. "Oh, right, you should probably give Police Chief Leroy a call while you're at it..." Then there was a shout in the background, followed by some running footsteps, then the sounds of a scuffle, a loud thud...and then the message ended.

After calling Police Chief Leroy, on her way to Y-san's dorm room, Andromeda ran into the visiting Prof. Templeton who was being led on a guided tour by Cherry Lane. Seeing the look of distress on Andromeda's face, they called out to her and she paused briefly to explain the situation. Then the three rushed on together.

The door of Y-san's room hung open. The floor was strewn with various papers and books...signs of a struggle? No...just Y-san's laziness...

On Y-san's desk, they found a cardboard box, on which was printed "10x Cocoa Puffs, 17.5 oz". Inside the box, on one side, there was:

A poster,

post-7969-1229241080.jpg

A graph that looked like it had been part of a homework assignment that had been drawn on with a marker,

post-7969-1229241091.jpg

And some Wei Chi tiles arranged as such:

post-7969-1229241097.jpg

At the other side inside the box was a regular six-sided die.

Next to the box was a sheet of paper with the following printed on it:

^&

Prof. Templeton studied the box for a moment, stroking his chin. Then he shook his head and muttered "Looks like Y-san is up to her usual routine." Then his eyes shifted to the paper and he added in a resigned tone, "Someday she's going to get herself shot by an Extremely Mad Physicist."

Cherry Lane sighed. "Yeah...and in the end she's as enigmatic as always."

Just then an out of breath Police Chief Leroy stumbled into the room. As he leaned over, panting, he withdrew a notebook from his pocket and flipped it open to a page. "Okay..." he finally managed to say, "So Y-san was helping me investigate some shady characters. We suspected that one of them is a IETNAT agent. I have their names and addresses, so if we can figure out which one is the culprit, we can find her. The suspects are:

Ichimaru Kyu

Uno Diez

Quatre Treize

YiSan Wu

Otto Ventisei

Zwolf Sieben

But which is one is it? I don't have the manpower to cover all of them..."

He was interrupted by Andromeda, who hopped up and down in excitement. "Ooh! I know, I know!" She pointed her finger eagerly at one of the names in the notebook.

Later on that day, a group of police officers broke down the door to the culprit's house and combed through the rooms to find...Y-san sitting on a couch, reading a magazine. Around her lay strewn the unconscious bodies of IETNAT goons. Looking up at her rescuers, Y-san smiled and declared "Well, about time! I was getting hungry..."

• Answers 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ok so the character's name in the DeathNote poster is apparantly "L".

As far as Wei Chi goes, are the pieces laid out in a certain manner? Or is it just that the game is called "GO" everywhere but China?

And I'm pretty sure ^& becomes "NM".

Graphs are the bane of my existence and I'm pretty sure it's more than just being the letter 'z' so I'm going to let someone else tackle that one.

No idea why the die is there other than maybe one side of the box has to do with a first name and the other with their last name.

So far it's L_GO_ _ NM

Is there any significance to the Cocoa Puffs or do you just enjoy chocolately goodness?

I don´t have much time now, but...

I watched Death Note, and I know the one in the poster is "L", and if you followed the same thinking of the other riddle, I think "^ = N" and "& = M".

So we have: LNM...

Hope I have helped a little! :lol:

Ok so the character's name in the DeathNote poster is apparantly "L".

As far as Wei Chi goes, are the pieces laid out in a certain manner? Or is it just that the game is called "GO" everywhere but China?

And I'm pretty sure ^& becomes "NM".

Graphs are the bane of my existence and I'm pretty sure it's more than just being the letter 'z' so I'm going to let someone else tackle that one.

No idea why the die is there other than maybe one side of the box has to do with a first name and the other with their last name.

So far it's L_GO_ _ NM

Is there any significance to the Cocoa Puffs or do you just enjoy chocolately goodness?

Heheh! Almost at the same time! :)

:o :o Great detective Y-San's been kidnapped!

A first I thought the Wei Chi tiles may have been arranged in a braille fashion...But the black tiles would be the letter M and the white tiles would be a period but I don't see how that would fit anything....so I guess I was wrong there...Must keep looking.

Edited by Prince_Marth85

I could recognize many of the names as numbers! Maybe all of them are numbers. I´ll try to find out each of them.

Ichimaru Kyu - ?

Uno Diez - 1 10 (Spanish)

Quatre Treize - 4 13 (French)

YiSan Wu - ?

Otto Ventisei - 8 26 (Italian)

Zwölf Sieben - 12 7

And in polar coordinates:

Ichimaru Kyu - ?

Uno Diez - 10.05, 84.29°

Quatre Treize - 13.6, 72.9°

YiSan Wu - ?

Otto Ventisei - 27.2, 72.9°

Zwölf Sieben - 13.9, 30.26°

Now what does it mean... -_-

Ichimaru Kyu - 1 9 (Japanese)

Uno Diez - 1 10 (Spanish)

Quatre Treize - 4 13 (French)

YiSan Wu - 13 5 (Chinese)

Otto Ventisei - 8 26 (Italian)

Zwölf Sieben - 12 7 (German)

And in polar coordinates:

Ichimaru Kyu - 9.06, 83.66°

Uno Diez - 10.05, 84.29°

Quatre Treize - 13.6, 72.9°

YiSan Wu - 13.93, 21.04°

Otto Ventisei - 27.2, 72.9°

Zwölf Sieben - 13.9, 30.26°

Edited by Skywalker

::

Ok so first the clues

L M(braille) Z 6(die) NM(^&)

Now change the Letters to there position in the alphabet

12 13 26 6 14 13 Add these together and you get 84

woofreeakinghoo

but thanks to a post. it was apparent that the names = numbers

Zwolf's full name was 12-7 12x7 = 84

Riddle solved? B))

Here's what I came up with:

I saw ^& and immediately thought either ascii (this didn't work out) or keyboard position. Going with their location on the keyboard, I got "67" (^ is on the 6 key, & on the 7). Then I realized that every name had some sort of number in it, and the only one that had something similar to seven was "Sieben". The first name confused me at first, then I thought perhaps the red arrow pointing to the "Z" in the graph accounted for the first name, "Zwolf".

And that's how I arrived at Zwolf Sieben for the answer. Maybe I just got lucky with my method, but it appears to be what other people are getting using more complex methods.

OK I'm also thinking that the IETNAT stands for nanoc ietnat (manga/anime), which, translated into English, Is Case Closed. would this (and possibly the manga/anime Deathnote) have something to do with the kidnapper (like being Japanese because manga, anime, and the use of honorifics [y-san]?)

Okay, so we've got this so far yes?

Ichi(maru) Kyu: 109

Uno Diez: 110

Quatre Treize: 413

YiSan Wu: 135

Otto Ventisei: 826

Zwolf Sieben: 127

My thoughts would be that the clues would lead to one of these six numbers.

10x Cocoa Puffs, 17.5 ounces.

Well, 17.5 ounces is roughly 500 grams but since that is remarkably high, I doubt it's correct.

Not sure why we need ten?

Could be 10 x 0.5 kilograms = 5 or 10 x 17.5 ounces = 175

The "L" from the poster could refer to 50 (roman numerals) or 12 (it's place in the alphabet)

The graph completely puzzles me. The only number I can think of is 26 which is z's place in the alphabet.

If the tiles are the letter "M" in braille like you say they are, then that could be 1000 (roman numerals) or 13 (it's place in the alphabet).

As a guess, I would say the six sided die is the number 21 as it's the product of all the sides added.

Finally, I would think that ^& refers to 67

67(^&) + 21(die) + 13(M) + 12(L) = 113. If the z does equal 26 then that number rises to 139. Are still a long way off any of the options though.

Welcome! :D

Question for Y-san:

Are these enigmatic??

;)

Nice riddle... :P

No...there are several steps...(cuz I felt like it ;P)...and Cherry Lane's comment was referring to the final step...

Ok so first the clues

L M(braille) Z 6(die) NM(^&)

Now change the Letters to there position in the alphabet

12 13 26 6 14 13 Add these together and you get 84

woofreeakinghoo

but thanks to a post. it was apparent that the names = numbers

Zwolf's full name was 12-7 12x7 = 84

Riddle solved? B))

::

Uh...nice try, getting there, but no...first off...take the 3 picture clues in order...and your interpretation of the second one is incorrect...then...it's not simple letter position...as Prof. Templeton said, it's "Y-san's usual routine"...and letter position isn't...;P...then...there's more to it than that...several more steps...

I have a feeling it's Ichimaru Kyu = 109, but my maths has gone a bit mental to explain as to why!!!!

:wacko:

Yep

So does this mean that the kidnapper (who is actually a number) could be found by solving the math equation on the cereal box?

Love the Death Note reference! :D

Uh...several steps ;P...and thanks :D

OK I'm also thinking that the IETNAT stands for nanoc ietnat (manga/anime), which, translated into English, Is Case Closed. would this (and possibly the manga/anime Deathnote) have something to do with the kidnapper (like being Japanese because manga, anime, and the use of honorifics [y-san]?)

Lol...actually it refers to the general, not any particular anime ;P...and it's not a clue for the puzzle...it's just the organization that Y-san's been fighting against...which has appeared several times in other mysteries puzzles.

Okay, so we've got this so far yes?

Ichi(maru) Kyu: 109

Uno Diez: 110

Quatre Treize: 413

YiSan Wu: 135

Otto Ventisei: 826

Zwolf Sieben: 127

My thoughts would be that the clues would lead to one of these six numbers.

10x Cocoa Puffs, 17.5 ounces.

Well, 17.5 ounces is roughly 500 grams but since that is remarkably high, I doubt it's correct.

Not sure why we need ten?

Could be 10 x 0.5 kilograms = 5 or 10 x 17.5 ounces = 175

The "L" from the poster could refer to 50 (roman numerals) or 12 (it's place in the alphabet)

The graph completely puzzles me. The only number I can think of is 26 which is z's place in the alphabet.

If the tiles are the letter "M" in braille like you say they are, then that could be 1000 (roman numerals) or 13 (it's place in the alphabet).

As a guess, I would say the six sided die is the number 21 as it's the product of all the sides added.

Finally, I would think that ^& refers to 67

67(^&) + 21(die) + 13(M) + 12(L) = 113. If the z does equal 26 then that number rises to 139. Are still a long way off any of the options though.

No...for the second picture clue...my "from:" may give you a hint...and notice a pattern in the solutions to the picture clues? ;P

And finally...Prof. Templeton's second comment was also a hint...;P

well

i was looking at prof T's second comment. I noticed that he said "Extremely Mad Physicist" with capitol letters. if thats an abbreviation then that would be EMP. doesnt make sence but whatever

well
i was looking at prof T's second comment. I noticed that he said "Extremely Mad Physicist" with capitol letters. if thats an abbreviation then that would be EMP. doesnt make sence but whatever

It'll make sense when you get to that part ;P. Good observation, though.

the z

z = |z| cos[arg(z)] + |z| sin[arg(z)] i

Or I complicating it?

Yeah...you're complicating it...lol...as I hinted...notice a pattern in the solutions to the other two pictures? It holds for all three...and the order matters...and grouping also matters...*cough* ;P

Edit: Y-san's room is obviously a mess...so why did she go to all the trouble of organizing the items the way she did? B/c it's important ;P...

Edited by Yoruichi-san