BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Game Relay

Relay, is a kind of sports where each team member needs to contribute so the run can be completed. Relay baton is handover to another person so he can continue with holding the baton and run.

How do we start?

For every round, I will start the game by given a word in the below format:

Start: time

What you need to do is to change some letters from this word and make it to another meaningful word (For this case, it to change the word time to another word). Then change it again and again until you have 20 of them, like this:

1. tame (change 'i' to 'a')

2. came (change 't' to 'c')

3. camp

4. damp

5. lamp

6. lump

7. dump

8. jump

9. junk (change 2 letters, m to n and p to k)

10. ….continue until you reach 20.

If each time you only make 1-letter change, no point will be deducted from you. However, if you make more than 1 letter change, then points will be deducted like this:

2 letters change, deduct 1 point

3 letters change, deduct 2 points.

4 letters change, deduct 3 points and so on.

For completing the 20 answers, you gain 20 points.

The Trap System

To increase the excitement of this game, there is some trap system along the game. Every time when you PM me your answer, you also need to submit 4 words which the first word represent the first trap for answer 1-5, second trap for answer 6-10, third trap for answer 11-15 and last trap for answer 16-20.

For example, one your opponent PM me his answer and the trap like this:

My answers:

1. xxxx

2. yyyy

3. zzzz

4. …

My trap:

1. lump

2. junk

3. look

4. high

As you can see now, your opponent set lump and junk as the trap words which appear in your answer list too. But because ‘lump’ represent the trap for answer 1-5, but you answer lump in #6, so the trap is not effective and you are saved. However, your answer junk which is in #9, falls into his trap because his second trap (for answer 6-10) is junk!

So, whoever hit the traps, will lose 2 points each time. And the 2 points will transferred to the person who set this traps.

The bonus system

There is a word which I will select it as the bonus word. I will put a riddle about this bonus word so you could guess and try to put this as one of your 20 answers. If one of your answer hits the bonus word, then you gain extra 5 points.

What happen if someone set the bonus word as trap word?

If this is happen, the bonus word become void. No bonus word and no bonus point in that round.

What is the winning conditions?

There will be a few round until someone become the winner.

The first round is considered as warm-up round, no elimination.

Second round onwards, there will be elimination as per listed below:

If 16 and above, each round eliminate 5

If 11 – 15, then each round eliminate 4

If left 7 – 10, then each round eliminate 3

If left 4-6, then each round eliminate 2

If left 3, then eliminate 1

Final round….all those who has eliminated send me your trap word, then between the final 2, who hits the trap the least will be the winner

Time allocated

Time allocate for you to submit your PM is within 36 hours after the starting word posted.

Current players registered

Host: woon

1. andromeda

2. limeliam

3. CL

4. ST

5. Impervious

6. Kat

7. Kay

8. Crazypainter

9. RainThinker

10. GC

11. Clozo

12. Lemonymelon

13 LIS

Although there will be only 13 here, I will not stop recruit players as long as we are still in the first round. Just update the name list above and PM me your answer and trap like below format:

My answers:

to

My traps

• Answers 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

well that maybe because I didn't write the riddle well.

Anyway, in the next rounds onward I just straight away state the bonus word so you don't ever think hard about this. :)

Thanks Woon!

I love this game... in this game you can plan a strategy!!

And Woon I think you shouldn't expel so many people after rounds... Maybe we should leave one by one, or two max? ;)

It's fun to play and we don't have EDC so it should take less time anyway... prettyplease.gif

Oh... and next time could you make the table less all over the place ;)

Edited by andromeda

Sure... this was just a trial round to tune the rules and see how it goes! I think it's been 48 hours... :)

oh sorry...

i didnt see it yesterday when i searched through all the posts...

so is it over? (the posts are a little confusing)

Thanks Woon!

I love this game... in this game you can plan a strategy!!

And Woon I think you shouldn't expel so many people after rounds... Maybe we should leave one by one, or two max? ;)

It's fun to play and we don't have EDC so it should take less time anyway... prettyplease.gif

Oh... and next time could you make the table less all over the place ;)

I could make the table less all over the place, by reducing the column, which mean eliminate more players. Muhahahahaha!

Just joking. I am still think a better way to present the result. <_<

oh sorry...

i didnt see it yesterday when i searched through all the posts...

so is it over? (the posts are a little confusing)

Even I also confused, need not say you. :)

So after we final-fine-tune the rules, should we use a new thread (I already spend 2 thread on this) or we just continue from here but I will PM everyone about the questions, or put in signiture like what LIS suggest? :huh:

Even I also confused, need not say you. :)

So after we final-fine-tune the rules, should we use a new thread (I already spend 2 thread on this) or we just continue from here but I will PM everyone about the questions, or put in signiture like what LIS suggest? :huh:

Signature PINK and BOLDED! :lol:

I have to look close at the answers the colour is a bit difficult for me

btw ...

I have a point (moot)

Over use of a word (root)

It is not like roof

Math, plant or tooth

Blinking hard (Wooot!)

btwII - why eliminate ????

Fall behind and try to catch up. Now I'll shut my trap or set it :lol:

BtwIII - the bonus cn be hard, med, ez. - Impuzzible ???

luvinit woon. Not pinkin sig pleeeeee - we can always go to page one for current sig link if you update

btwII - why eliminate ????

Fall behind and try to catch up. Now I'll shut my trap or set it :lol:

Yeah... maybe we should do it like that... five rounds or so... every time a bit harder up to the point when it becomes impossible to solve and then we sum the rounds together...

Odd One Out will keep the out, but here we should all go through the rounds for this is the game of strategy and it takes time to develop one ;)

When will the game start Woon?? Wake up! :blink:

Sorry guys,

Busy recently cause my 2 yo son is not feeling well. My wife and I busy taking care of him at home.

Have you finalized the rules. I will then make the rules in point form and let everyone examine and agree.

then we just start the game without elimination and yes, I think 5 round will do before X'mas! :)

Sorry guys,

Busy recently cause my 2 yo son is not feeling well. My wife and I busy taking care of him at home.

Have you finalized the rules. I will then make the rules in point form and let everyone examine and agree.

then we just start the game without elimination and yes, I think 5 round will do before X'mas! :)

No worries, woon. Dad first, host next! Hope your son is doing better now.

Rules Fine-tuned.

Dear all, kindly check the fine-tuned rules:

1. The game will start when I post a word.

2. The word is consider #0, you need to change a letter from this word to form another word, then continue until you get 20 (excluding the start word).

3. Anyone who completed 20 answer in a list, will get 20 points.

4. Trap word: 4 different trap words need to be set for other opponents fall into.

Trap 1 is set for answers 1 to 5

Trap 2 is set for answers 6 to 10

Trap 3 is set for answers 11 to 15

Trap 4 is set for answers 16 to 20

5. No one should set the trap in the zone where his/her answer also falls into. That’ mean, no one should fall into his/her own trap. Or else, you will deducted 3 points

6. Bonus word: Host will post what is the bonus word of the round, if anyone could slot in the bonus word in his/her list of 20 answers. He/She gain 5 points

7. You are allowed to set the bonus word as the trap word. Since, you are not sure which zone the opponents will put the bonus word. So it is depend on the strategy you plan.

8. No elimination. Everyone will play equal of round until X’mas.

9. Changing letters:

You are only allowed to change 1 letter at a time. If you change more than 1 letter, the points will be deducted as below

Points deducted = (number of letter you change – 1)

anymore rules that I missed out? Or is there any rules you object? Let's discuss.

Edited by woon

9. Changing letters:

You are only allowed to change 1 letter at a time. If you change more than 1 letter, the points will be deducted as below

Maybe you should elaborate this.

Cause you don't say if it depends whether we start the round with the 3, 4, 5 or 6 letter word. How many times in one round we can change... You made this rule very simple and I'm complicating it, but if you could explain a bit further. Thanks :)

The rest of the rules are OK! :D

9. Changing letters:

Maybe you should elaborate this.

Cause you don't say if it depends whether we start the round with the 3, 4, 5 or 6 letter word. How many times in one round we can change... You made this rule very simple and I'm complicating it, but if you could explain a bit further. Thanks :)

The rest of the rules are OK! :D

What is your suggestion? I think for 3 and 4 letter words, we can strictly say no more than 1 letter change is allowed or else you will lose points. But as for 5 and 6 letter words. It is not easy to keep going by changing only 1 word, so maybe I suggest 5 times, regardless how many letter you change each?

What is your suggestion? I think for 3 and 4 letter words, we can strictly say no more than 1 letter change is allowed or else you will lose points. But as for 5 and 6 letter words. It is not easy to keep going by changing only 1 word, so maybe I suggest 5 times, regardless how many letter you change each?

Sounds OK... :)

I may not be able to play from Dec. 23, how will that affect the game? :(

Ok, from time to time let me know when should we stop / pause this game.

Andromeda suggest 5 rounds will do. Let see if we can finished 5 rounds before 23 Dec, then it will definitely not been affected by your. :)

Ok, I am too optimistic. By looking at our speed, I don't think we can finish 5 rounds before X'mas.

So that's the deal:

3 rounds before X'mas:

round 1 - 3 letters

round 2 - 4 letters

round 3 - 5 letters

If ok, I will post the round 1 challenge few hours later. I will send PM to inform everyone of you.

:)

I may not be able to play from Dec. 23, how will that affect the game? :(
Maybe GC can do two the next day before results ... make sure we dont post results

we can play more if we post out words faster...

Lets see... Lets GO!

Round 1 - 3 letters word

Ok, here we go.

Start word: try

Bonus word: win

You can refer to the Rules except rules nine at here

Impervious, take your time, I will just post the result from time to time without revealing the answer. :)

Good luck everyone!