BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Game Relay

Relay, is a kind of sports where each team member needs to contribute so the run can be completed. Relay baton is handover to another person so he can continue with holding the baton and run.

How do we start?

For every round, I will start the game by given a word in the below format:

Start: time

What you need to do is to change some letters from this word and make it to another meaningful word (For this case, it to change the word time to another word). Then change it again and again until you have 20 of them, like this:

1. tame (change 'i' to 'a')

2. came (change 't' to 'c')

3. camp

4. damp

5. lamp

6. lump

7. dump

8. jump

9. junk (change 2 letters, m to n and p to k)

10. ….continue until you reach 20.

If each time you only make 1-letter change, no point will be deducted from you. However, if you make more than 1 letter change, then points will be deducted like this:

2 letters change, deduct 1 point

3 letters change, deduct 2 points.

4 letters change, deduct 3 points and so on.

For completing the 20 answers, you gain 20 points.

The Trap System

To increase the excitement of this game, there is some trap system along the game. Every time when you PM me your answer, you also need to submit 4 words which the first word represent the first trap for answer 1-5, second trap for answer 6-10, third trap for answer 11-15 and last trap for answer 16-20.

For example, one your opponent PM me his answer and the trap like this:

My answers:

1. xxxx

2. yyyy

3. zzzz

4. …

My trap:

1. lump

2. junk

3. look

4. high

As you can see now, your opponent set lump and junk as the trap words which appear in your answer list too. But because ‘lump’ represent the trap for answer 1-5, but you answer lump in #6, so the trap is not effective and you are saved. However, your answer junk which is in #9, falls into his trap because his second trap (for answer 6-10) is junk!

So, whoever hit the traps, will lose 2 points each time. And the 2 points will transferred to the person who set this traps.

The bonus system

There is a word which I will select it as the bonus word. I will put a riddle about this bonus word so you could guess and try to put this as one of your 20 answers. If one of your answer hits the bonus word, then you gain extra 5 points.

What happen if someone set the bonus word as trap word?

If this is happen, the bonus word become void. No bonus word and no bonus point in that round.

What is the winning conditions?

There will be a few round until someone become the winner.

The first round is considered as warm-up round, no elimination.

Second round onwards, there will be elimination as per listed below:

If 16 and above, each round eliminate 5

If 11 – 15, then each round eliminate 4

If left 7 – 10, then each round eliminate 3

If left 4-6, then each round eliminate 2

If left 3, then eliminate 1

Final round….all those who has eliminated send me your trap word, then between the final 2, who hits the trap the least will be the winner

Time allocated

Time allocate for you to submit your PM is within 36 hours after the starting word posted.

Current players registered

Host: woon

1. andromeda

2. limeliam

3. CL

4. ST

5. Impervious

6. Kat

7. Kay

8. Crazypainter

9. RainThinker

10. GC

11. Clozo

12. Lemonymelon

13 LIS

Although there will be only 13 here, I will not stop recruit players as long as we are still in the first round. Just update the name list above and PM me your answer and trap like below format:

My answers:

to

My traps

• Answers 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If I just giving the bonus straight away, I will not allow players to put a bonus word become the trap.....because......

Oh, I see what could happen there. Usually players will put the bonus word at the last, so that mean players will set the bonus word become the last trap word....

Exactly, but you'd give us some word that is not so obvious to get to... so it wouldn't bee easy anyway...

I really don't want to think about riddles while I'm playing this game, because it's a game :D

For example for the word HAIR you could have put the word WORK. So you would somehow have to change all four letters to get it.

And one more thing - I think it's a BAD idea to allow changes in more than two letters. So you can change 1 letter and only ONE TIME in the set of 20 you can change 2 letters but then you lose points.

Changing 3 or 4 letters is too much even though you lose more points.

:)

Exactly, but you'd give us some word that is not so obvious to get to... so it wouldn't bee easy anyway...

I really don't want to think about riddles while I'm playing this game, because it's a game :D

For example for the word HAIR you could have put the word WORK. So you would somehow have to change all four letters to get it.

And one more thing - I think it's a BAD idea to allow changes in more than two letters. So you can change 1 letter and only ONE TIME in the set of 20 you can change 2 letters but then you lose points.

Changing 3 or 4 letters is too much even though you lose more points.

From hair to work is something that the quiz I posted here sometime in April this year (too long ago, I can't remember)

but point taken.

Don't worry about the penalty system of how many letters change at a time. You may not need change more than 1 letter when you only have 3 or 4 letter words, but how about 5 to 6 letter word in certain round later?

Latest news updated by woon:

woon so far received 6 pms, some may not be completed one. However, there are already so many red colors cell on the worksheet woon is staring now.

traps!

woon will update once received the rest of the 2/3 pms.

thanks and regards,

woon.

Ok, just a friendly reminder.

In round 1, I start the word with 'hair'

so hair is not #1 answer. Your anwers for #1 should be some word else.

if you answer

1. hair

2. (other words)

then you have to fill up to #21.

it should be read as

hair

1. (other word)

2. (another word)

thanks. :)

if you answer

1. hair

2. (other words)

it should be read as

hair

1. (other word)

2. (another word)

you can all thank me for him giving that clarification :P

From hair to work is something that the quiz I posted here sometime in April this year (too long ago, I can't remember)

but point taken.

Don't worry about the penalty system of how many letters change at a time. You may not need change more than 1 letter when you only have 3 or 4 letter words, but how about 5 to 6 letter word in certain round later?

5 to 6?? OK then make a rule for every round. In first round 1 change of two letters, in second 1 change of two and three letters etc. And with 5-6 letter words I'm just hoping I won't have to write 20 of them!

if you answer

1. hair

2. (other words)

it should be read as

hair

1. (other word)

2. (another word)

You never, said Woon... you have never ever said! <_<

You never, said Woon... you have never ever said! <_<

See example and if one was hair it would have been next to 1.... he he see post i and post 4 start:time and start: hair :D

BTW when the NEW RULES are decided can you put it in your sig - this is gomnna be hard for people to pick up on that are just watching, and maybe put them off. I think we have to wait for v1.1 with new ideas

See example and if one was hair it would have been next to 1.... he he see post i and post 4 start:time and start: hair :D

BTW when the NEW RULES are decided can you put it in your sig - this is gomnna be hard for people to pick up on that are just watching, and maybe put them off. I think we have to wait for v1.1 with new ideas

Yes, right now lets just see how the first round go, then we discuss based on the result and do the modification of the rules.

Hey now only I realize I am not hosting a game, but we are designing some game together. Looks fun. :)

Updates from woon:

4 more players haven't submitted their answers:

limeliam

crazypainter

rainthinker

clozo.

Kat: you haven't submit your trap words

Lets hope she kept her answers or she traps herself maybe - kat/fox in a trap

It's possible if you set the traps as words which are in your 20 words and in the same set.

Really? That sucks...Hey Woon I gotta go to school, can I send you my answers when I get back? (In about 7 hours)

<(^-^)>

Well, haven't received answer from limeliam, CP, Rainthinker and Clozo,

but I decide to close this round, after all this round is for us to fine tune the rules so the actual game can be host better.

So, I will post the result in about 1 hour time from now. :)

Result of Preliminary Round

The Trap Words

Trap zone.. andromeda..... CL........ ST........ Impervious..... Kat........ Kay........ GC........ Lemonymelon..... LIS....... Jrod Writer 13

(1-5)...... pair.......... pair...... head...... pair........... pair....... fair....... heir...... tail............ hail...... skid

(6-10)..... main.......... fall...... seat...... fall........... sail....... fell....... maid...... nail............ pall...... skip

(11-15).... sail.......... male...... fair...... ball........... wail....... seek....... boat...... fare............ bull...... ream

(16-20).... bait.......... bite...... bear...... bell........... pain....... dead....... fail...... cure............ rain...... rain

The Answer

No... andromeda..... CL........ ST........ Impervious..... Kat........ Kay........ GC........ Lemonymelon..... LIS....... Jrod Writer 13

1.... lair.......... lair...... heir...... fair........... fair....... hail....... lair...... lair............ pair...... pair

2.... lain.......... lain...... hear...... lair........... fail....... fail....... laid...... fair............ pain...... pain

3.... pain.......... pain...... tear...... laid........... wail....... fall....... maid...... fail............ main...... rain

4.... cain.......... pail...... team...... paid........... wait....... call....... main...... rail............ rain...... raid

5.... coin.......... tail...... seam...... maid........... bait....... cell....... gain...... hail............ raid...... paid

6.... coil.......... bail...... seak...... mail........... bail....... sell....... gait...... mail............ said...... maid

7.... boil.......... ball...... leak...... sail........... jail....... seal....... bait...... mall............ maid...... mail

8.... bowl.......... wall...... lean...... nail........... rail....... heal....... bail...... fall............ mail...... pail

9.... fowl.......... call...... bean...... fail........... rain....... head....... fail...... call............ fail...... sail

10... foul.......... tall...... pean...... fall........... pain....... dead....... foil...... ball............ hail...... said

11... four.......... tale...... peas...... fell........... gain....... dean....... boil...... hall............ pail...... skid

12... your.......... pale...... peak...... feel........... main....... lean....... bowl...... wall............ pall...... skip

13... hour.......... sale...... beak...... feet........... mail....... leak....... fowl...... tall............ mall...... skin

14... pour.......... sate...... bear...... meet........... sail....... weak....... foal...... tale............ fall...... skit

15... poor.......... late...... beer...... meat........... said....... week....... coal...... gale............ call...... spit

16... door.......... fate...... jeer...... beat........... raid....... meek....... coat...... sale............ cull...... spat

17... doom.......... mate...... deer...... bear........... maid....... meet....... boat...... bale............ bull...... spam

18... dorm.......... mite...... dear...... tear........... laid....... meat....... beat...... bare............ pull...... seam

19... dork.......... kite...... fear...... fear........... paid....... feat....... bean...... care............ full...... ream

20... dark.......... kits...... feat...... rear........... pair....... feet....... dean...... hare............ dull...... team

Traps- Player: word (trap setter)

CL: tail (lemonymelon)

ST: heir (GC)

Impervious: fair (kay), fall (impervious, CL), bear (ST), nail (lemonymelon), sail (kat)

kat: fair (kay), sail (andromeda)

kay: hail (LIS)

Lemonymelon: fair (kay), hail (LIS), fall (impervious, CL),

LIS: maid (GC), pair (impervious, andromeda, CL, kat)

Jrod Writter13: maid (GC), pair (impervious, andromeda, CL, kat), sail (kat)

Score

The bonus word is 'root'

looks like the top of something ( roof) but in fact is the base (root)!

So no one guess the bonus word!

Format:

Player: Total score (Complete 20 - change more than 1 letter - fall into traps + others fall into your trap + bonus word)

andromeda: 26 (20 - 0 - 0 + 6 + 0)

CL: 26 (20 - 0 - 2 + 8 + 0)

ST: 20 (20 - 0 - 2 + 2 + 0)

Impervious: 16 (20 - 0 -12 + 8 + 0)

Kat: 24 (20 - 0 - 4 + 8 + 0)

Kay: 24 (20 - 0 -2 + 6 + 0)

GC: 26 (20 - 0 - 0 + 6 + 0)

Lemonymelon: 16 (20 - 0 - 8 + 4 + 0)

LIS: 14 (20 - 0 - 10 + 4 + 0)

Jrod Writer13: 8 (20 - 0 - 12 + 0 + 0)

Winner for this round:

1. andromeda, CL, GC

2. Kat and Kay

3. ST

Edited by woon

Nice job, Andromeda, CL, and GC! :lol: , you guys are scarily smart :o (especially after the Oddest Out...* looks at Andromeda and CL* )

Wow, great bonus word riddle, Woon! I didn't even think about root... :P

Nice job, Andromeda, CL, and GC! :lol: , you guys are scarily smart :o (especially after the Oddest Out...* looks at Andromeda and CL* )

Wow, great bonus word riddle, Woon! I didn't even think about root... :P

well that maybe because I didn't write the riddle well.

Anyway, in the next rounds onward I just straight away state the bonus word so you don't ever think hard about this. :)